Rate the race: 2012 European Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the European Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race at the Valencia street circuit.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 European Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (2%)
  • 6 (3%)
  • 7 (7%)
  • 8 (19%)
  • 9 (33%)
  • 10 (35%)

Total Voters: 728

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

188 comments on Rate the race: 2012 European Grand Prix

1 2 3 8
  1. I can’t believe I’m saying this about this circuit, but what a race! One of the best this year in my opinion. Despite the boring first half with Vettel’s dominance, the racing back behind him kept it exciting. Love it!

• Mark (@marlarkey) said on 24th June 2012, 14:51

• smokinjoe (@smokinjoe) said on 24th June 2012, 19:26

it was absolutely Surreal!! Valencia has the reputation of being one of the most boring circuits and here we have the most exciting race of the year(coz it was totally unexpected)…i mean Vettel and grosjean had Car failures…a rarity nowadays… Alonso winning out of nowhere in front of his home fans! and the Most intruging part..Hamilton taken out by maldonado on the penultimate lap!
      What else can you ask for…oh I forget it was Schumaker on the podium for the first time since his contentious return…

• Jayfreese (@) said on 24th June 2012, 20:56

I watched GP2 Race 1 and today in the Formula One race it was kind of such a mess again, with the leaders (Colado in GP2, Vettel in F1) run so much faster on the opening laps and then the Safety car came and switch every outcome of the races.
        Amazing race, couldn’t be the Valencia circuit we all know as I voted 9/0, my higher note of the season( maybe due to failures and crashes)

• golson (@golson) said on 24th June 2012, 21:52

That’s what I was thinking at the beginning of the race, “Ho, hum…another parade.” I had no idea how exciting a Valencia race could be. I love Lewis/McLaren and I am NOT an Alonso/Ferrari fan, but it was a phenomenal race!

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 26th June 2012, 23:54

You called ? Oh, I see, Anyway this race had a lot of what historically F1 races provide, a superfast but unreliable car or 2, the hand of fate cruelly striking one competitor down and lifting another high, a bit of racing and some good passes even without the tyre and DRS factors, so generally a good average GP. I feel sorry for those fans whose experience of F1 only encompasses the dreary processions of most of this century, judging by the scores awarded recently they must be the majority of the F1Fanatics on this site, let’s hope F1 only gets better.

• xeroxpt (@) said on 24th June 2012, 23:48

Justice+Drama= Life.

• Dj xo2 (@dj-xo2) said on 25th June 2012, 0:13

+1 if some one asks me what my favorite race of the year was all i will be able to answer is ” any one but Monaco”, What a season!

• ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 25th June 2012, 0:29

I never thought I’d see it either. Excellent racing all round

2. Giggsy11 (@giggsy11) said on 24th June 2012, 14:50

Best Race of the year by a Country Mile 10/10

• Duke (@duke) said on 24th June 2012, 19:51

Sanfrantsastic to see the best driver in the World back where he belongs,back on the podium.Great to see all 3 of the old drivers,and so unexpected!.Just like the old days.
      GO SCHUMI>>> you deserved this one.44yrs old next January,let us see another 43year old do the same.
      Merc GP”get the message”,keep the car good for him and he will bring home the bacon.

3. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 24th June 2012, 14:51

It was FAN TAS TIC!

Great on track actions. Some very very polemic! also, weirdly, loads of unreability within the top teams! The result was really unexpected after qualy.

You might be a fan of Vettel or Hamilton and be quite ****** off right now. But that’s to be expected… this was a superb race. And to think it was in Valencia… this is going to be very up tehre in the ratings!!!

• golson (@golson) said on 24th June 2012, 21:54

Big fan of Hamilton, but that did not affect (well maybe a little) my enjoyment of a phenomenal race!

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 24th June 2012, 22:51

Same. Also enjoyed the fantastic celebration from Alonso at the end.

That’s what F1 should be like.

• ivz (@ivz) said on 25th June 2012, 0:00

The only thing missing from that celebration was burnouts! :)

• xeroxpt (@) said on 25th June 2012, 0:12

I didnt see a thing I was jumping up and down grabing a bite after the race at 3pm, yeah Hamilton was knocked of but realisticly he was doing a superb job so, bad pit stop again… but good strategy lead them to a realistic top 5 finish until a true heart breaker, and for Vettel fans just wait till next race.

4. Roald (@roald) said on 24th June 2012, 14:51

Wow! A 10 for me, battles all the way through and the safety car really spiced things up, can’t believe the amount of crashes and mechanical failures… only goes to show reliability is not necessarily good for the excitement of the sport! Can’t believe THIS race took place in Valencia!!

5. Mustalainen (@mustalainen) said on 24th June 2012, 14:51

Great race!! Happy for every one on the podium especially Schumacher and räikkönen!! :D

6. tmax (@tmax) said on 24th June 2012, 14:52

Great race when was the last time Alonso Kimi and Schumi were on the podium together ?

7. tkcom (@tkcom) said on 24th June 2012, 14:52

“El Classico”

8. Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 24th June 2012, 14:53

Amazing race again. Saw the GP2 races and they were amazing. Luckily the F1 race was great too.

Alonso truly spectacular. You could see he was on a rampage from the start. Even before the safety car he was the driver of the race.

Too bad Grosjean’s car broke down. Would have liked to see him win.

Jus ta shame that Maldonado is driving around though. Why doesn’t that baboon get a penalty for weaving like a loon after the start? Pushing off Raikkonnen in the process. He pushed and rammed into so many cars this race. Just insane. Senna gets penalized for something that others (Button ramming into Hamilton in Canada 2011) don’t get penalized for, but Maldonado just keeps getting away with it.

9. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 24th June 2012, 14:56

Amazing race, one the best this year. So glad for Schumacher for this podium.

10. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 24th June 2012, 14:59

A definite 10! This is entertainment & sport in its finest form.

11. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 24th June 2012, 14:59

Shoot me but I give it a 10. So much drama, courtesy of the technology failing those brave men when they needed it most. Kudos for Alonso for aggressive driving and taking every single opportunity he had.

• Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 24th June 2012, 16:27

I did the same and thought that I’ll be in minority. Dream podium for me! And there is one thing you have to admit- F1 would be much more fun to watch with more reliability problems. I like the track layout but didn’t think it can produce such racing as today.
      VET, HAM, GRO, MAL really made this race much more interesting. I hope to see more racing incidents like the battle of HAM and MAL this year!

12. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 24th June 2012, 15:10

It was FAN TAS TIC!

• David-A (@david-a) said on 24th June 2012, 17:04

I’m a fan of Vettel and I’m disapointed with the DNF, but at least it wasn’t a mistake from him. The retiremements of Vettel, Grosjean and Hamilton opened up the way for Schumacher to get 3rd, so I’m still delighted :D

• f1tooslownowadays said on 25th June 2012, 0:20

I’m a fan of Ham, Schumacher and kimi and to some extent alonso too.

I dislike redbull so I was delighted when Vettel retired. I really dislike Maldonado and I’m disappointed Lewis’ race was ended by him. The fact Vettel and Hamilton’s race’s were ended equals out for me. If Hamilton had been able to recover and win with Kimi and Schumacher on the podium I would have been most pleased and voted 10/10.

Overall 9/10 for me, excellent racing today

13. sumedh said on 24th June 2012, 15:12

A 10!!

And FIA got the DRS zone just right! No pass was completed before the braking point, and drivers went side-by-side into the next turn so many times..

The retirements of VET and GRO also helped in increasing the rating…

• xeroxpt (@) said on 25th June 2012, 0:01

In retrospective and taking in account how quick Alonso went from lap 18 onwards, (likewise Monaco) the race could have been a 3 way battle for the victory, I too rated it a 10 but I would rated this as my all time favourite if Vet and Gro didnt retired instead of the opposite, plus we really wanted to see another driver winning a first race maybe Grosjean that had been lucky till the retirement or Raikkonen which was unfortunately stuck behind slower cars from 1st turn onwards.

• MarcusAurelius (@marcusaurelius) said on 25th June 2012, 10:42

There was so much overtaking, DRS wasn’t needed here…

Did anybody count how many overtaking was done?

14. TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 24th June 2012, 15:14

Fantastic race. Lot’s of incidents, passing, talking points, a home winner and finally one of the greatest F1 celebrations in recent years.

15. deepblue said on 24th June 2012, 15:26

it’s a clear 10, so much overtaking! great race, Alonso was superb and just as beautiful was Schumacher’s charge in the last 10 or so laps!

1 2 3 8