Rate the race: 2012 European Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the European Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race at the Valencia street circuit.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 European Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (2%)
  • 6 (3%)
  • 7 (7%)
  • 8 (19%)
  • 9 (33%)
  • 10 (35%)

Total Voters: 728

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

188 comments on Rate the race: 2012 European Grand Prix

1. xivizmath (@xivizmath) said on 24th June 2012, 15:27

I’m voting 10/10 on a Tilke circuit? HERESY!

2. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 24th June 2012, 15:39

A truly great race, one I could easily see myself telling my future children about, even though the track never seemed like producing a great race..

It takes a lot for me to give a race 10/10, and since the first 20 or so laps looked like Vettel was running away with it, I can only realistically give this race 9/10.. But what a race!!

3. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 24th June 2012, 15:41

10 no doubt about it, a thriller to the end. Rating driver of the weekend though is gonna give some problems, there’s so many.

4. Matty No 2 (@mattynotwo) said on 24th June 2012, 15:42

Good race, shocking effort from Maldonaldo at the finish. 7

5. Stephen Jones (@aus_steve) said on 24th June 2012, 15:42

9 for me.

Great race! Only thing that would’ve made it better was a straight fight between Alonso, Vettel, Grosjean and Hamilton. The result was a little too artificial as well with all the mechanical failiures, but I guess that’s racing.

Roll on Silverstone!

6. Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 24th June 2012, 15:46

Definitely the best Valecia GP so far. Superb racing from Alonso (my driver of the day), gutted for Hamilton though (McLaren cost him the win). An 8.5/10 for me.
    Also It must be the first time that three world champions, all of whom won their championships with the same team (Ferrari) have shared the podium.

• KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 24th June 2012, 19:31

@tmsc88 and indeed anyone else who believes todays podium was composed of 3 drivers who won championships with Ferrari… Alonso won 2 world championships in 2005-06. Both of which were with Renault, He nearly won in 2010 with Ferrari, but that can’t count as ‘winning a championship’.

However, I would like to think Alonso can win this year’s championship with Ferrari, wouldn’t that be a story? :)

7. Brownerboy (@brownerboy) said on 24th June 2012, 15:46

Maldonado deserves a big penalty.

8. carbon_fibre (@carbon_fibre) said on 24th June 2012, 15:47

10/10. It had everything you would want from a grand prix.

9. 11, not 10! I almost can’t process saying this about Valencia but, not only it delivered the best race of 2012, it probably translated into one of the best races of the past year and a half or so…maybe even more!

As someone here said…”El Classico”!

Writing something about all the events in this race would mean an interminable post so, from the top of my head:

- Alonso just raced the race of a lifetime! Didn’t trust him to climb higher than 5th after quali. Such a mistake from my side. I stand shamefully corrected. If there’s anyone that fully deserves the WDC title this year, based on the performances shown so far – it’s Alonso. Brilliantly done!
    - Absolutely ecstatic for Michael. Finally a race he can be happy with.
    - Glad for Webber as well – 19th to 4th translated into keeping himself up there in the WDC battle and that’s a good thing to see.
    - On the other hand, Schumacher’s bad luck seems to have left him, split up and distributed itself to Vettel and Grosjean. Absolutely gutted for them. They would have deserved 1st and 2nd, no question about it, but…that’s the way things go sometimes. What happened to Vettel anyway? Looked like a gearbox issue, same as Grosjean’s?
    - I am now 100% sure about the fact that both the Williams drivers lack significant chunks of their brains. I think I’ve never seen a team taking so much self-inflicted damage and wasting so much potential exclusively because of its drivers. If Frank Williams wants to hold on to 6th in the WCC, those two idiots have to go! Otherwise, that place is Force India’s for the taking.
    - And good signs for Caterham again. Too bad for all the clinches with Torro Rosso. A clean race might have brought them a much needed point here.

Oh, and McLaren HAVE to do something about those pit stops or we’ll all die laughing at some point.

• melkurion (@melkurion) said on 24th June 2012, 22:02

actually, Grosjean wasn’t gearbox, it was his alternator :(

• Oh, ok. Looked like a typical gearbox failure at a first glance as when he switched from 2nd to 3rd it just went into neutral. But I didn’t look / read more into it so…alternator it is. Still a shame. :)

• The safety car and retirements made this race interesting. Without these factors Vettel would have won in dominant style, Grosjean would have been number to pretty much unchallenged. As for third place I suspect either Alonso or Raikkonen would have taken care of that one.

But that`s F1 for you, the unexpected happens from time to time. That`s what makes it interesting.

Hamilton was a bit unlucky and Maldonado way to aggressive (as usual). I still feel that Hamilton could have avoided the incident as he should know that Maldonado would stuff his nose in there 10 times out of 10. Maldonado did something similar to Webber earlier on and Webber reported back that he didn`t force the issue as it was Maldonado. Hamilton should know what was going to happen, after all he`s been doing what Maldonado did for years, he, Maldonado, Grosjean and possibly Vergne are the four drivers most likely to pull a stung like that.

When your tyres are gone you have to defend as best you can going into the corner. If this fails and the pursuer with better traction is able to get a run on you it`s better to give way. There was no way Hamilton would have been able to keep Maldonado behind him to the end anyway so just let him go and focus on the next guy and a fourth place. If he had done so he would have had a lead on Vettel and Red Bull now. I feel this was a lost opportunity for McLaren and Hamilton. Red Bull and Vettel looked menacing in this race, I suspect we will see them back to their best in the next races. It would have been great with a point cushion at this point in the championship.

Alonso was the big winner in more ways than one in this race. His main rivals recorded DNF`s while he got 25 points. He`s now 23 point up on Hamilton and 26 points up on Vettel..

10. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 24th June 2012, 16:09

I gave it a 9. Great race, though until that SC it seemed to go a bit like the better 2011 Vettel wins: exciting behind him. Sorry for him, but great for the race that he dropped out.

11. Overwatch (@overwatch) said on 24th June 2012, 16:11

I am not sure if this is real, but I am saying this was best race of the season. In a way, it seemed to combine old school races full of retirements with recent overtaking wave. DRS spice the things enough, but not much to have the moves completed easy. Plus this podium is just so 6 years back.

12. wigster (@wigster) said on 24th June 2012, 16:13

9/10 for me.

The first half of the race was interesting but Vettel scampering off into the distance took a little bit away from it. Then the safety car came out and the race got very busy. An unusual amount of reliability probably caused by dodgy Renault alternators and some crazy driving made the second half very unpredictable and exciting.

13. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 24th June 2012, 16:16

Reportedly Maldonado has got a 10 place grid penalty for the British GP.

He blamed Hamilton for the incident in an interview.

He is a maniac driver. A faster version of Yuji Ide

14. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 24th June 2012, 16:39

I gave it a 9/10; some of the controversy after the race spoiled it slightly

15. Yobo01 (@yobo01) said on 24th June 2012, 16:46

9/10.
    Great race, really.
    I have an horrible taste in my mouth. My favourite drivers are Vettel and Grosjean, and to see them end in such a way…
    Nonetheless, it was one of the best race of this year. Good DRS zone, great battles, lots of drama. The only thing an F1 fan can’t like about this race is the championship table.