Rate the race: 2012 European Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the European Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race at the Valencia street circuit.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 European Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (2%)
  • 6 (3%)
  • 7 (7%)
  • 8 (19%)
  • 9 (33%)
  • 10 (35%)

Total Voters: 728

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

188 comments on Rate the race: 2012 European Grand Prix

1. montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 24th June 2012, 19:33

10/10.

Never believed I will say that on Valencia. Cars extremely close to one another, heaps of overtaking, hugely varying strategies. I’m as shocked as I ever was in my almost 20 years of watching F1. Most thanks for this should go to Pirelli, surely

2. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 24th June 2012, 19:34

There were about three moments in the race, where I was about to write “Now the usual Valencia boredom sets in” to the chat. And something happened just then. For a race that lasted hour and 44 minutes it went by incredibly quickly.

10/10

3. Adam Blocker (@blockwall2) said on 24th June 2012, 19:37

a ten, would have been an eleven if hamilton had not been taken out by maldonado

4. S.J.M (@sjm) said on 24th June 2012, 19:42

That race was everything that we all wanted to see, proper racing, great overtakes, heartaches and ultimate triumph. It’s taken Spain so long to have such an exciting race as good as that and probably will take a long time to reproduce one. Great stuff and if it’s a prelude to Silverstone, then I can’t wait!

This is the F1 season of all our dreams and it’s going to be so close to call on who wins. It’s a shame that it will end sometime in the year, but it’s going to be an exciting path to Brazil!

5. F1_Americana (@f1americana) said on 24th June 2012, 19:42

All this overtaking… …at Valencia?? :) The only thing that could have made it better was more of a challenge for the lead at the end! But I rated it a 10 because my guy won! ;)

6. mark (@markp) said on 24th June 2012, 19:44

Amazing race. Had everything. Valencia easily the best race of the past few years. Cannot wait for Abu Dhabi.

7. necrodethmortem (@necrodethmortem) said on 24th June 2012, 19:45

Never thought I’d give a 10, especially not here, but this one really had it all: great racing in the first half and then all the drama in the second half, I don’t see how it could get any better.

8. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 24th June 2012, 19:50

Valencia has redeemed itself as worthy racetrack. Today the DRS zone was perfect not tot long, not to perfect. I’m sorry for Vettel but after him dropping out the carnage began. Alonso drove (arguably) the best race in his carreer so far, Schumacher and Webber dived in the pits at the right time to come out fighting like lions, great perfomance by both the Force India boys.

9. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 24th June 2012, 19:50

Was Alonso using any kind of electro-magnetic pulse, sort of The Matrix technology to pull 2 cars out of the race?? :P

I heard good luck is on the side of the ones who can grab it, and Alonso win today was 40% luck and 60% or more on his own. But let’s admit if Vettel and Grosjean would have raced till the end it would have been even more spectacular. I rated it as a 6 points race. (and yes, I saw the whole race)

• Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 24th June 2012, 23:41

Sadly if Vettle had finished the race he would have had a dead boring 2011 style 40 second lead (based on his early performance) so I think his exit really added to the drama and the racing in general. As to luck – it’s usually attributed to Seve Ballesteros who said “the harder I work the luckier I get”

10. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 24th June 2012, 19:53

10. Gripping, dramatic, shocking and sometimes controversial. An absolute instant classic.

11. the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 24th June 2012, 19:54

The race was perfect for me. The race had drama (Vettel’s and Grosjean retirements, Hamilton’s pitstop), crashes (Vergne-Kovalainen, Maldonado-Hamilton, Kobayashi-Massa, Ricciado-Petrov), overtakes in and outside the DRS zone, an unpredictable top 10 and all of these things happened to a circuit that never produced at least a 6/10 race

12. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 24th June 2012, 19:59

As much as I just want to mash the keyboard in an excitable frenzy, I’ll try keep it sensible!

9 from me. This race had everything. A couple of surprises in qualifying set it up nicely but today it was just spectacular. Drama at the front with a couple of major retirements for very different reasons, drama at the back between Vergne and Kovalainen and some terrific overtakes that helped balance any DRS complaints. Grosjean’s move just outside the DRS zone at the beginning was brave, he stuck at it. We had Petrov briefly flirting with a point for Caterham on merit and he stuck in there, poised to take advantage of others pit-stops until Kobayashi had a go at him.

All in all a great, close race with battles up and down the grid, loved it.

For me today proves just how much we shouldn’t put so much emphasis on a circuit for a bad ‘show’ and just realise that much of what happens just depends on that particular day, regardless of tarmac.

13. Sundar SV (@ssvracing) said on 24th June 2012, 19:59

Keith, so far 37% have voted 9 and 41% have given this race a 10. This looks like a strong contender for the most-exciting-race-of-the-year-according-to-F1Fanatic-readers award. For all the unpredictability this season has, Valencia being rated the most exciting race of the season at the end of the year would truly be the mother and father of all surprises!

14. themagicofspeed (@) said on 24th June 2012, 20:01

100% perfect, what an amazing race.

Alonso proved beyond doubt today that he is the most complete, arguably most talented, best all-round driver on the grid.

Seb Vettel is fine if he starts from pole and can lead from the front without having to race anyone, but if he’d started 11th like Alonso i’m pretty certain it wouldnt be him leading by the end.
    Hamilton drives brilliantly when things are going his way and he isnt embroiled in a moronic game of ‘pin the front wing on Massa’s Ferrari’, but the rest of the time he is just driving around ruining his tyres and being a jackass. His arrogance leads to many mistakes.
    Button - His form varies like the weather varies from sunny to rainy. Nobody really knows what hes going to do. When he is on it, he is nigh unbeatable. Probably the 2nd or 3rd talented after Alonso.
    Webber – Like Button, he is slightly inconsistent but unbeatable when it is his day to shine, as in Monaco this year.
    Raikkonen – A question mark if there ever was one. His speed and hunger are undeniable, and he would have won already in 2012 were it not for his reservedness he has been suffering with of late. If the Lotus were a better car he would probably be up there with Alonso. However, he sometimes cracks under extreme pressure.

That is a loose analysis of the drivers as they are in 2012, at least the way i portray the front runners.

Alonso has the speed and the consistency to win the title if he can keep up his form. This year is going to be all about consistency. If he can pick up a couple more victories and keep at the sharp end of the points, he can leave the rest to all of his rivals taking points off each other. I predict that this years WDC will go to the wire, and that there will be Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton and maybe Webber in contention.

• I have to disagree with you on this one.

I agree with you about Alonso, he`s complete and will always be up there given a chance.

I disagree with you about Seb Vettel, he is definitely the real deal. When the car was not to his liking he still managed to salvage points, and he has indeed had some bad luck this season, otherwise he would have led the championship by now. Also notice that even if he`s outqualified by Webber he`s almost always able to beat him in the race baring bad luck, and Webber is good over race distance. Vettel is bit by bit putting to rest the reservations I had. He`s obviously able to get the best out of a car that`s not great as the same time as he`s able to develop a good car into a great car. You can never count him out.

As for Hamilton I think he`s stepped up this year, he`s impressed me. I`ve been waiting for him to grow up for years, and this year I feel we se an older, wiser and more mature Hamilton. The talent is definitely there and now he`s adding the last pieces of the puzzle. Great for him, McLaren and his fans. I really can`t see him being either to arrogant or a “jackass” this year. Give the guy some credit, you can never count him out either.

I agree with you about Button and Webber though.

As for Raikkonen I disagree with you. Raikkonen`s main issue is qualifying, he`s not totally up to speed there yet. That is normal as an out and out lap pushing 110 % is where you will see the signs of being away from F1 for several seasons best. He`s still lacking the last couple of tenths in qualifying, but he will find them and when he does he will be hard to beat. As for him cracking under pressure I totally disagree with you, he`s the last one to crack under pressure. Just look at yesterdays start, if he had cracked under pressure he would have tangled with Maldonado at the start, instead he chose to be cautious and play the long game. It paid off for him, otherwise he would have a DNO on lap 1. He`s there or thereabouts more often than not, and he`s still not fully up to speed after his abcense.

15. Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 24th June 2012, 20:09

It pains me… PAINS me, but Alonso was absolutely superb, in every respect today. A corking race, despite another disappointing show from Button and Hamilton being unceremoniously crashed out by Pastor… He’s starting the behave like an early Vettel…

• ronald plain said on 24th June 2012, 23:09

or an early Hamilton.

• Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 27th June 2012, 11:04

Which early Hamilton are you talking about? The rookie in 2007 who won 4 races, had 12 podiums, 6 poles and came 2nd in the driver’s championship or maybe 2008 where he won 5 races, had 10 podiums, 7 poles and won the world championship? As for Sebastian Vettel who, incidentally I’m not a fan of, starting at his first full year in F1 in 2008, he won 1 race, had 1 pod, 1 pole and came 8th in the championship, in a TORO ROSSO. In 2009 he won 4 races, had 8 podiums, 4 poles and came second in the championship, not to mention he already has 2 World Championships under his belt. So in my opinion it doesn’t matter what ‘incidents’ these two drivers may, or may not have caused during their F1 careers comparing them in their early years to the parvenu that is Maldonado is like comparing Jedward to Coldplay…..Ridiculous!

• Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 27th June 2012, 11:05

Which early Hamilton are you talking about? The rookie in 2007 who won 4 races, had 12 podiums, 6 poles and came 2nd in the driver’s championship or maybe 2008 where he won 5 races, had 10 podiums, 7 poles and won the world championship? As for Sebastian Vettel who, incidentally I’m not a fan of, starting at his first full year in F1 in 2008, he won 1 race, had 1 pod, 1 pole and came 8th in the championship, in a TORO ROSSO. In 2009 he won 4 races, had 8 podiums, 4 poles and came second in the championship, not to mention he already has 2 World Championships under his belt. So in my opinion it doesn’t matter what ‘incidents’ these two drivers may, or may not have caused during their F1 careers comparing them in their early years to the parvenu that is Maldonado is like comparing Coldplay to Jedward…..Ridiculous!