Rate the race: 2012 European Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the European Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race at the Valencia street circuit.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 European Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (2%)
  • 6 (3%)
  • 7 (7%)
  • 8 (19%)
  • 9 (33%)
  • 10 (35%)

Total Voters: 728

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

188 comments on Rate the race: 2012 European Grand Prix

1. AndresM (@andresm) said on 24th June 2012, 23:25

My skin is sunburnt, my ears sore, my throat dry. What a race.

Is there a button for “classic”

12/10. Still floating

2. iBlaze (@) said on 24th June 2012, 23:32

Voted 9 – great race, so much drama, so many twists and turns. Never knew which way the result was going until the flag finally fell.

Also, I’ve just roughly worked out that this race currently has an average rating of about 8.9 – only the 2011 Chinese and Canadian GPs have a higher score than that! However, whilst Valencia produces an epic F1 race, the English football team loses on penalties.. the balance between surprise and inevitability is restored.

3. sato113 (@sato113) said on 24th June 2012, 23:39

what really made it for me was the images of Alonso waving his flag from the car and stopping infront of the fans at the end. the raw emotion was incredible.

very messy race though! the driving was all over the shop! 8/10. brilliant

4. Tiffoc (@tiffoc) said on 24th June 2012, 23:56

Best race this year… Fernando’s the best driver this year by far, Schuey’s second.

5. Allie500 said on 25th June 2012, 0:20

I can’t believe so many people think this was a great race. Sure it was “exciting” but its clearly staged. This one tire manufacture rule is destroying the sport. No one knows which teams get the good sets of tires and which teams get the bad sets of tires. Only FIA and Pirelli know. In Canada, Ferrari go the bad and McLaren got the good…look how that turned out. Such an “exciting” end to that race. In Valencia, McLaren get the bad tires and Ferrari and Lotus get the good tires. This is literally all orchestrated to achieve this false entertainment.

Bring back Michelin and Bridgestone and any other manufactures and lets get rid of this staged nonsense. I want real racing!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th June 2012, 8:43

That is a piece of complete fantasy on your part. If the tyres were inconsistent in that fashion the volume of complaints from teams and drivers would be deafening. It simply isn’t the case.

• Bendanarama (@bendana) said on 25th June 2012, 8:50

Is your tinfoil hat wrapped on a bit too tightly?

6. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 25th June 2012, 8:28

I gave it a 7.

I was disappointed about Hamilton DNF’ing due to Maldonado’s sudden incompetence. And Vettel and Grojsean’s mechanical failures seemingly out of the blue.

But I was very happy to see Alonso win in front of the Spanish crowd. Especially with the amount of financial turmoil that Spain is in at the moment.

Congratz Alonso.

7. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 25th June 2012, 8:32

An action packed race full of drama at Valencia, who would have thought! 9 for me!

8. BradFerrari (@brad-ferrari) said on 25th June 2012, 8:40

How can 1% of votes be for 1/10? Read the notes above! “Please vote based on how entertaining and exciting you thought the race was, not on how your preferred driver or team performed.”

9. Mads (@mads) said on 25th June 2012, 8:52

I only voted it an 8. While it was a great an eventful race, there was no fight for 1st spot.
    Yeah there were lead changes, but forced by mechanical failures, and for me that is nowhere near as exciting as a driver slowly but steadily catching up on another over several laps. Just to build up the tension.
    Vettel’s retirement was disappointing for me, but it made for an open battle for the lead, so its a plus, but then when Grosjean looked quicker then Alonso, his car dies on him and after that Alonso didn’t really have any worries. So basically -2 points for Grosjeans DNF.

10. Kimi4WC said on 25th June 2012, 9:15

Loved it, such clean and close racing in first part of the race. I think it took toll on drivers in later stages.

That overtake on Grosjean from Alonso’s point of view, I was sure Lotus would have lost his front wing!
    I was furious with Riccardo for staying out on worn tyres and spoiling restart for Raikkonen and Hamilton. I was sure Kimi would have gotten a penalty cause of him too, but lucky he got him before yellow zone.

If only Kimi can qualify in top four for rest of the season, he is so winning WC this year!!!

11. Liam McShane (@motor_mad) said on 25th June 2012, 9:25

Other than a couple of crashes, it was still a dull race. 6 from me.

12. Dimitris 1395 (@) said on 25th June 2012, 9:55

Not perfect but overall a great race. Some great battles and a lot of drama after the SC appearance. If it had some more action in the first part of the race, it would have been an awesome race.

13. Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 25th June 2012, 9:59

Great race but only gave it a 7 as I felt there were too many incidents, seemed like a carbon copy of the 2 GP2 races, drivers who deserved to end up in the points and didn’t. I’m a Hamilton fan (amongst others) and although I don’t begrudge Alonso the win (it is racing after all) I felt so sorry for Vettel, Grosjean (my driver of the weekend) and Hamilton. Glad Schumacher got on the podium and happy for Raikkonen too but as for Button, what did he do to get in the points? I didn’t really agree with Senna’s penalty, he was driving really well and to me it was a racing incident but as for Vergne, Kobayashi and Maldonado, penalties well deserved although Maldonado’s should have been a grid drop also.

14. Heskin Radiophonic (@heskin-radiophonic) said on 25th June 2012, 10:16

I don’t normally vote on this, but this race was so good, and so unexpected I felt obliged to! I’d almost forgotten what a mechanical failure looked like, and we had two in one race! Not to mention such wheel to wheel racing. I’ve been a fan of the section Turn 17 all the way round to Turn 3 of this track for a while – good to see it actually paid off!

15. Mel (@mel) said on 25th June 2012, 10:30

Perfect! Regardless of the winners. All the recipies are present. Not mentioning the rain.