Raikkonen “disappointed not to have a win yet”

2012 F1 season

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Valencia, 2012Kimi Raikkonen says he’s disappointed not to have won a race yet after finishing on the podium three times so far this year.

The 2007 world champion said: “If you asked me before the start of the season whether I would be happy with podiums I would have said yes, but now I?ve had some good results, I want more.

“In the last few races the results haven?t been as strong as I?ve wanted. We?ve finished well but I?m disappointed not to have a win yet. We just have to get everything together and I?m sure it can come.”

Raikkonen was running ahead of Fernando Alonso in the European Grand Prix before a slow pit stop let the Ferrari driver past on his way to victory. Raikkonen finished second.

“The race wasn?t perfect for me,” said Raikkonen. “I got a good start but then I got blocked and lost quite a few places. I managed to retake some positions but it wasn?t easy.

“At the restart, I lost a place to Lewis [Hamilton]. I just got too much wheelspin out of the corner.

“Then, when I was in third place, a few cars retired and I thought I would save the tyres a bit and try to get Lewis at some point. I saw him sliding and it wasn?t until the last few laps when I could make the move, but I got him in the end.”

He added: “After the bridge, I made a mistake and Lewis got past me. It was my own mistake. I would have overtaken him sooner to get the place back if I could have done. I was not waiting for the last or second last lap; I just didn?t have the speed. I had to wait until he ran out of tyres.

“Then I got the chance. I tried to get closer and closer but I was not fast enough earlier on. If Lewis had not got past me I would have had a better chance against Fernando, but it?s one of those things; if you make a mistake you pay the price.”

Raikkonen was also a close second to Sebastian Vettel in Bahrain. The Lotus driver finished third in the Spanish Grand Prix but was rapidly closing on the leading pair at the chequered flag.

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

Image ?? Lotus F1 Team/LAT

47 comments on Raikkonen “disappointed not to have a win yet”

1. Adam Blocker (@blockwall2) said on 29th June 2012, 17:54

in the third line of the article it says: ‘The 2009 world champion…’ I think you mean the 2007 world champion.

2. joac21 (@joac21) said on 29th June 2012, 17:59

if lotus can at least keep up with development SPA will be his race..

3. M30 said on 29th June 2012, 18:08

Not if it is wet!

4. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 29th June 2012, 18:48

Looking at the performance Lotus had in the early part of the season relative to everyone bar McLaren they should’ve been able to win, be it with Grosjean or Räikkönen…

5. James (@jamesf1) said on 29th June 2012, 19:41

His time will come. We know he has the class and the car has performance necessary to do so. It works better on high wear tracks on hotter days. Fortunately a couple of the races coming up are often warm affairs, and then we back overseas again where some of those races are traditionally hot.

He’ll string it together, I’m sure. Lets not forget that this is his first season back after two off, in which a lot has changed in the sport. He’s also racing in one of the closest and most competitive fields the sport has seen for a long time, if not ever. I think Spa has Kimi’s name on it this year. Failing that, hopefully Schumacher’s!

6. Roald (@roald) said on 29th June 2012, 20:20

Not sure his win will come. The Lotus is a great car, but it doesn’t seem to be able to quite fulfill the expectations people have. Before each and every race people are tipping Grosjean or Kimi to take pole or the win, but they are just that bit out of reach it seems…

7. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 29th June 2012, 21:03

I think he’s right to be a bit disappointed, but not so much he’s bent out of shape over it. Every race he’s finished on the podium he has had the pace to win that Grand Prix, but several errors both tactical and simple misjudgements have cost him at least a win or two.

Considering how consistently strong the Lotus car itself appears I would be very surprised if Kimi or Roman went the whole season without a win. It just has to fall their way, slightly, once and they’ll do it.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 1st July 2012, 16:32

It think that is exactly it @collosal-squid he is dissappointed a bit because he knows they had it in them to win already, but on the other hand he must feel fine that the car is still amongst the top runners and has every chance to give wins in the coming races when they do get everything right.

8. sorin (@) said on 29th June 2012, 21:31

Alonso, overtaked Raikkonen on the pits. Raikkonen had 4.8s, Alonso 3.2s . If the team will be stronger at pits, maybe he will win. How hard is to put 4 bloody wheels??

9. Nick.UK (@) said on 29th June 2012, 21:32

It’s hard to imagine a race Lotus might win, of course they have it in them, but to pick the race… I think Hungary could be the one, if it’s hot.

• de Hooch said on 29th June 2012, 23:51

Hungary and Spa to follow. If Kimi wins those two, he will be up in the top 3 wdc.

btw Hungary: there are still some Finnish fans camping around Hungaroring from the Hakkinen days who are still chanting that awful chant of theirs: “Mi-ka Ha-kkinen…”

• Aditya Banerjee (@) said on 30th June 2012, 6:05

Monza too maybe…

10. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 29th June 2012, 21:38

It seems to me that both Lotus drivers are still missing that last bit of form to string together a perfect weekend. I think Raikkonen has sometimes been too tentative in overtaking, and coupled with his too often disappointing qualifying performances, he gets stuck in traffic no matter how good his race pace is. Sure, his win can come, but it can just as easily not.

Grosjean, on the other hand, has sometimes been too aggressive around other cars, but at least he’s been qualifying nearer the front. Kimi may be more consistent on Sundays, but I think Grosjean is more likely to pick up Lotus’s first win.

• de Hooch said on 29th June 2012, 23:58

small matter of the steering column.
      Kimi is driving a car that does not suit him enough to give him that confidence you must have to wring that extra 20% performance.
      Nevertheless he is doing a great job with an oversteering car that lacks the precision he likes. KR’s probably the most precise of the top drivers. If Lotus can give him that little extra sensitivity he will get them the wins. The danger is they will not bother because of this idea that well there’s Grosjean and he can get the win!! Let’s go down the pub and not bother about Raikkonen….

• sorin (@) said on 30th June 2012, 0:39

Tyre management is the main characteristic in judging drivers in 2012.
      In qualification, if a driver is faster than another driver, but he use more tyres than the other, then is not so succesuful in race. And the race is what it matters.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 30th June 2012, 1:28

True, great race pace is compromised by the tyres if you can’t get out of the traffic, Kimi is balancing his desire to go for the win against the need to be gentle on the tyres to finish in the points.

11. Wilhelm (@wilhelm) said on 29th June 2012, 22:06

This team is just one of the best surprises of the championship. Before the season began, I expected to see a struggling Grosjean and an ageing and demotivated Raikkonen. I’m glad it’s not the case, they’re probably the most refreshing pair of the field this year.

• ben2mx said on 29th June 2012, 22:24

I completely agree. They are the most refreshing pair this year. They are both just as thirsty to win again or for the first time.

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 29th June 2012, 22:44

Yes, and it’s good to hear a driver who wants to win, and isn’t just aiming for ‘a podium’. I’m pleased it’s going well for them, because it was a bold and positive choice of drivers – the car’s great too but I’m sure the drivers egg each other on, even if Kimi can come across as a law unto himself.

They could have gone for drivers like Senna, Petrov or Alguersuari, and ended up scoring a few points – but as it is, I think they’ll both win races this year

I hope there’s a lesson there for other teams – that means you, Williams – get the best drivers you can.

• Claidheamh (@aseixas) said on 30th June 2012, 0:15

Indeed, Lotus is turning out to be my favourite team this year.

12. Slimboyfatpauly (@slimboyfatpauly) said on 29th June 2012, 23:33

Just a pointer Keith……..u’ve put 2009 World Champion there by mistake bud instead of 2007.

13. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 30th June 2012, 1:02

although grosjean is the (rightfully) hot driver at the moment, i’m not sure he’s blowing kimi away like people are saying. let’s add up the scores at the end of the season.

• Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 2nd July 2012, 2:00

I agree with that. It may end up though, that Grosjean gets more support from the team, simply because he spends more time with them. I was impressed with Grosjean in the last race – and I did not expect to see that much quality from him. However, I still think Kimi is a better driver because he is more “consistent and experienced”. The only downfall is that Kimi does not spend enough time with the team (which is crucial for support/development.. etc).

On the second note, I don’t understand Kimi’s motivation. He should be happy that he is in a competitive team with his comeback (which is very lucky). He seems unhappy with results because he is not winning, but frankly I don’t think anything special has been done to deserve a win yet. All I am hearing are comments that he can’t wait until he wins. Well, I’d say a bit more development and effort needs to go in.

14. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 30th June 2012, 1:31

How on earth does Alonso have two wins; Rosberg and Webber have won one, and even Maldonado has won a race yet Lotus haven’t is ridiculous.

15. TED BELL said on 30th June 2012, 2:49

Roald said it well…although I would like to see him win it seems like the Lotus can get near the top of the ladder only to find many others already standing in his way. Ask Schumacher he must be a bit tired of how crowded it is there…