Raikkonen “disappointed not to have a win yet”

2012 F1 season

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Valencia, 2012Kimi Raikkonen says he’s disappointed not to have won a race yet after finishing on the podium three times so far this year.

The 2007 world champion said: “If you asked me before the start of the season whether I would be happy with podiums I would have said yes, but now I?ve had some good results, I want more.

“In the last few races the results haven?t been as strong as I?ve wanted. We?ve finished well but I?m disappointed not to have a win yet. We just have to get everything together and I?m sure it can come.”

Raikkonen was running ahead of Fernando Alonso in the European Grand Prix before a slow pit stop let the Ferrari driver past on his way to victory. Raikkonen finished second.

“The race wasn?t perfect for me,” said Raikkonen. “I got a good start but then I got blocked and lost quite a few places. I managed to retake some positions but it wasn?t easy.

“At the restart, I lost a place to Lewis [Hamilton]. I just got too much wheelspin out of the corner.

“Then, when I was in third place, a few cars retired and I thought I would save the tyres a bit and try to get Lewis at some point. I saw him sliding and it wasn?t until the last few laps when I could make the move, but I got him in the end.”

He added: “After the bridge, I made a mistake and Lewis got past me. It was my own mistake. I would have overtaken him sooner to get the place back if I could have done. I was not waiting for the last or second last lap; I just didn?t have the speed. I had to wait until he ran out of tyres.

“Then I got the chance. I tried to get closer and closer but I was not fast enough earlier on. If Lewis had not got past me I would have had a better chance against Fernando, but it?s one of those things; if you make a mistake you pay the price.”

Raikkonen was also a close second to Sebastian Vettel in Bahrain. The Lotus driver finished third in the Spanish Grand Prix but was rapidly closing on the leading pair at the chequered flag.

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

Image ?? Lotus F1 Team/LAT

47 comments on Raikkonen “disappointed not to have a win yet”

1. Aditya Banerjee (@) said on 30th June 2012, 6:13

Very few people have pointed out this… but I personally believe that two years out of competitive wheel-to-wheel racing(if you discount the two NASCAR races he started, that is) has cost Raikkonen of aggression. Unlike Grosjean, he couldn’t force a move on Hamilton, instead kept dilly-dallying till the McLaren’s tyres were shot. Also his position-defending too isn’t as great as it was before. How on earth was Rosberg able to pass him at the final chicane at Montreal around the outside so easily, when a few laps later he couldn’t pull a similar move on Massa, whose tyres were past their prime? It is because Kimi is probably focusing on finishing every race, as he knows it is the only way he will beat Grosjean in the standings come Interlagos.
    I don’t think Kimi will win a race this season. Grosjean will certainly, given his superb pace thus far. But I wil back Kimi to finish the WC season ahead of the Swiss-French driver.

• Kimi4WDC said on 2nd July 2012, 0:40

I think Kimi got plenty of what he came for, he has most wheel to wheel action this season and he proved to not needing DRS to over take. And unlike many people on the grid he was not crashing with others – why would you do that?

Way more intelligent drive from Kimi this season, but this is how you adapt if you dont have a car that can just cruise past most of the other cars.

Qualifying is going to be crucial for his Championship standing.

• Aditya Banerjee (@) said on 2nd July 2012, 5:47

But he got passed easily by Rosberg, in a position he shouldn’t have got passed, in Canada. Couldn’t he have forced the issue a bit and keep him behind till Perez came along out of the pits?
        I know he is probably playing it safe, and has been more level-headed than Grosjean. But figure this- over the course of his career, Kimi was outqualified only by two teammates-Heidfeld at Sauber(we can excuse Kimi for that as it was only his first season), and Massa in 2007/2008. After Massa beat him comprehensively in 2008, Kimi became demotivated, almost as if he’d hit a block in terms of performance. Now that Grosjean is regularly outqualifying Kimi will the same happen? I’m not sure, but he’ll have to raise his game and start outqualifying him.
        Just to clarify-I’m not a Kimi hater. He is one of my favourite drivers on the grid.

2. Deepak Singh (@deepaksingh) said on 30th June 2012, 10:30

I’d say the win is just around the corner for Kimi and Lotus F1, the only trouble is that Vettel and RBR have suddenly found the pace they were looking for, that’s the most significant threat. Also, the McLarens are as quick as the Lotuses, give or take.

3. Kimi will probably win a race this season if Lotus is able to stay competitive. It`s typical for a driver that has been away from asphalt racing on the highest level to struggle in qualifying. Qualifying is all about pushing the car to the ragged edge, and to do that you need total confidence in the car and tyres. We`ve seen theis many times before when experienced drivers return to the “arena”, they struggle in qualifying untill they`re fully up to speed again. Give Raikkonen some time and he will be back to his former self in qualifying to.

His absence from racing is less visible over race distance as he`s able to use his experience to make the best out of it. But we`re still not seeing the Raikkonen of old, he was much more aggressive in his previous stint in Formula 1. Give him some time and he`ll fix that too.

Furthermore the Lotus is still not completely to Raikkonens liking, but it will get there.

It has indeed been a great comeback by Raikkonen. I was expecting him to use more time getting up to speed and mixing it up at the front. I thought he would start beeing competitive in the second half of the championship, instead he`s been up there since the beginning. Remember Schumacher`s struggles in qualifying, this year he`s a lot closer to rosberg, but it took 2 years.

SPA is going to be interesting this year..

• Deepak Singh (@deepaksingh) said on 30th June 2012, 13:16

Spa has, is and always will be the iceman’s track. He even took the un-performing F60 to victory in 2009! The first year of the KERS systems, and he made full advantage of it by going wide in the first corner and getting more traction at the exit. Passed Kubica at the exit of Eau Rouge. He WILL win Spa, that’s not the problem. I just hope the Lotuses perform in lower temp conditions of Silverstone. He had an excellent race there back in 2007. Good race pace.

• Kimi4WDC said on 2nd July 2012, 0:45

I agree, it’s all about qualifying. Field is so close, you cannot afford staying behind the slower cars and frankly you can’t afford overworking tyres to get past them, cause guy in front is saving his.

If Kimi starts qualify in top4, I’m happy!

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 1st July 2012, 10:50

Clearly the car has the pace but just not when it matters it seems. My fear is that seeing the display of dominance (pre-alternator failure!) from Vettel’s RB8 in Valencia may put to bed any hope of a shock result. I don’t expect that any team is in a position to win every race from now on, but if Vettel is capable of pulling 1s/lap over his nearest competitor, it does change things considerably.

5. Lasse said on 3rd July 2012, 22:04

I think Kimi’s biggest problem is the race tactics. This season, even a top driver in a best car can’t win, if the race engineer is average. Mark Slade just can’t call the pitstops exactly right. Never has. McLaren and Schumacher didn’t let him go for nothing. Kimi always ends up behind slower cars or is passed by the closest rivals. The tires makes it much more difficult this year. You have to know exactly where you are going with all the variables. Look at Ferrari – an average car can lead and win the most, when there are excellent tactics behind.