Maria de Villota, Marussia, Valencia, 2012

De Villota conscious after crash, Marussia confirm

2012 F1 seasonPosted on | Author Keith Collantine

Maria de Villota, Marussia, Valencia, 2012Marussia have confirmed test driver Maria de Villota is conscious following her crash this morning as she remains in hospital for examination.

The team said in a statement: “Further to the accident involving the Marussia F1 Team?s Test Driver Maria De Villota this morning, the team can confirm that Maria was transferred by ambulance from Duxford Airfield, where the accident happened, to Addenbrooke?s Hospital in Cambridge.

“Since Maria’s arrival at the hospital at approximately 10:45 this morning, she has been receiving the best medical attention possible at the hospital, which is the region?s major trauma centre. Maria is conscious and medical assessments are ongoing. The team will await the outcome of these assessments before providing further comment.

“The team?s first priority at this time is Maria and her family.”

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

Image ?? Marussia

68 comments on “De Villota conscious after crash, Marussia confirm”

1. Thats good news.

Best wishes and speed recovery…

1. It sure is good news. Apparently she was operated in London today to treat some skull fractures, and is now being kept under coma for observation in the next 2 days.

The last news from Ian Parkes (@ianparkesf1) is that

Marussia have confirmed Maria De Villota has sadly lost her right eye as a result of yesterday’s accident.

Poor Maria, I guess that will put an end to racing for her then.

2. Good to hear she’s consicous. I’ve heard she spoke to her family too. So good news.

3. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey)
    3rd July 2012, 15:23

Thank goodness!

4. Traverse Mark Senior (@)
    3rd July 2012, 15:28

The fact that a human being can crash at high speed like this and live to tell the tale is unbelievable. It’s a real testament to the engineers that design these cars.

1. Have you been following the news? It was a 30mph crash. Credit to helmet designers for sure

1. Good news shes conscious.

I wouldn’t fancy essentially headbutting a truck at 30mph, with or without a helmet

2. Although I agree with you, she crashed at 30mph… It was more the open cock pit that was the problem (or so it seems)

1. Traverse Mark Senior (@)
        3rd July 2012, 15:46

@danbrown180 and @gilles
        I was talking about motorsport crashes in general, like Anthony Davidson and Massa hence why I said “human being” and not Maria de Villota specifically.

1. Traverse Mark Senior (@)
          3rd July 2012, 15:56

But admittedly my initial assumption was that it was a high speed crash, as the her injury’s were described as “Life Threatening”.

1. Traverse Mark Senior (@)
            3rd July 2012, 16:19

The article that I read on the Autosport (here’s the link) website didn’t specify the speed that she was travelling, I wrongly assumed that it was a high speed crash as here injuries were described as “Life Threatening”. I should have read more than one article I guess.

2. @Dan Brown – I wouldn’t say it was an open cockpit problem more like a lowered loading platform at drivers head height problem.

5. Good news then!

6. did you read the articles? it wasn’t an high speed crash at all

7. Huge relief! Get well soon Maria!

8. Great news, and best wished for a speedy recovery.

9. Great stuff. Sounds like the crash (slow as it was) caused less damage as was feared. Hopefully that turns out to be the case!

10. Oh.. thank goodness for that. I would blame team for instructing the driver to park so close to the truck while car is still running under such test conditions, and obviously failing to follow proper hazard and safety procedures. Or failing to direct the driver away from possible hazard or risk area until car is safe to be handeled.

1. Problem with that being that drivers routinely make similar approaches to over a dozen mechanics during race weekends, which falls within proper safety procedures. A parked vehicle is not a hazard. This was a freak accident and I don’t think it’s correct to blame the team.

Very relieved to hear this news though. Further credence given to the argument for cockpit protection.

2. who's better who's best
      3rd July 2012, 18:52

Its a good job they didn’t instruct her to park next to something like…say…people, then isn’t it, or worst, do a pit stop!

Let’s wait to see what happened but 100’s of these tests take place without incident, these are proffesional drivers in cars, not monkeys in rocket ships…there should be no reason at all NOT to park a lorry or anything else near an area where the car is to be serviced, its not as if it was on the edge of the runway and she was passing it at 200mph

11. Good news, I hope she makes a full recovery and returns in the car as soon as possible. I also hope we can learn from this scary accident and improve the safety in F1 further. Thanks to F1F for the professional reporting during the whole day.

1. +1 agree totally
      Thought would comment to highlight the good point. Expect nothing less tbh, great site.

12. Glad to hear this.

13. Great news!

14. Great news! May she have a full recovery.

15. good news, for a while i was fearing the first fatal accident in f1 since Senna died – and it would have been in the most bizarre/incredible of situations. i am glad it did not happen. this lady is already up against it in the male dominated sport and all the discrimination that comes with it, i hope she gets straight back in the cockpit and keeps trying, i am glad there is a female in f1, and i know it is important with so many young girls these days doing go-karting but a lot of them feeling inferior to their male go-kart competition because they see every top racing driver a male, and they were born female.

1. Drop Valencia!
      3rd July 2012, 23:54

I saw a guy get killed at the Melbourne GP when a wheel hit him in the chest, and another marshall died at another race, that I am ashamed to say i can’t even remember where, we should try to remember these guys too.

1. Jack Cowie
        4th July 2012, 9:47

Monza the previous year to that incident.

2. Bit off topic,

You should visit Drag Racing in Australia, junior category talking about inferiority. You can hardly find any boys :)

16. good. still dont understand how she hit a truck on the way back to the pits… must have pressed the wrong pedal and spun out.

1. she was supposed to park in front of the garage and then pushed back inside (exactly what we see on every practice session). when she turned the wheel to align the car, it has accelerated. I think it was mechanical failure. It seems unlikely that a racing driver would press the wrong pedal for full stop.

1. I’ve heard that from less than reliable sources (a bloke who claims to be a duxford: that she forgot to put it into neutral and let the clutch slip and the anti-stall kicked in and pushed her into the back of the truck.

1. doesn’t make sense since the rules say the anti-stall when triggered must fully disengage the the clutch and keep it disengaged untill the driver manually disengage the clutch all the way

17. sid_prasher (@)
    3rd July 2012, 16:36

Glad to hear this! I was feeling a bit more +ve after reading Fernando’s tweet (he having spoken tto thee family) but a confirmation is better.
    Can someone shed more light on how the accident happened? I am still not able to understand how a truck was allowed to be anywhere near the test site.

18. Very glad she’s okay and I hope her recovery is quick.

19. thank God she is ok!
    to be honest I wasn’t a fan of the whole safety cockpit cage Idea, but after seeing this and how devastating a low-speed crash can be, I say it would be a good addition.

20. I read that there is an anti-stall feature on that Cosworth CA2012 that detects an engine stall at too low of a speed and automatically gives the engine 50% throttle. It can catch a driver off guard easily. Bless her heart. I hope for a speedy full recovery for her. From the way the accident sounds, crashing into the trailer like that, it could have been very tragic.