De Villota conscious after crash, Marussia confirm

2012 F1 season

Maria de Villota, Marussia, Valencia, 2012Marussia have confirmed test driver Maria de Villota is conscious following her crash this morning as she remains in hospital for examination.

The team said in a statement: “Further to the accident involving the Marussia F1 Team?s Test Driver Maria De Villota this morning, the team can confirm that Maria was transferred by ambulance from Duxford Airfield, where the accident happened, to Addenbrooke?s Hospital in Cambridge.

“Since Maria’s arrival at the hospital at approximately 10:45 this morning, she has been receiving the best medical attention possible at the hospital, which is the region?s major trauma centre. Maria is conscious and medical assessments are ongoing. The team will await the outcome of these assessments before providing further comment.

“The team?s first priority at this time is Maria and her family.”

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

Image ?? Marussia

68 comments on De Villota conscious after crash, Marussia confirm

1. sato113 (@sato113) said on 3rd July 2012, 16:35

good. still dont understand how she hit a truck on the way back to the pits… must have pressed the wrong pedal and spun out.

2. sid_prasher (@) said on 3rd July 2012, 16:36

Glad to hear this! I was feeling a bit more +ve after reading Fernando’s tweet (he having spoken tto thee family) but a confirmation is better.
    Can someone shed more light on how the accident happened? I am still not able to understand how a truck was allowed to be anywhere near the test site.

3. robbiepblake (@driftin) said on 3rd July 2012, 16:40

Very glad she’s okay and I hope her recovery is quick.

4. Snafu (@snafu) said on 3rd July 2012, 16:59

thank God she is ok!
    to be honest I wasn’t a fan of the whole safety cockpit cage Idea, but after seeing this and how devastating a low-speed crash can be, I say it would be a good addition.

5. I read that there is an anti-stall feature on that Cosworth CA2012 that detects an engine stall at too low of a speed and automatically gives the engine 50% throttle. It can catch a driver off guard easily. Bless her heart. I hope for a speedy full recovery for her. From the way the accident sounds, crashing into the trailer like that, it could have been very tragic.

6. Avada Kedavra said on 3rd July 2012, 17:34

Such a shame (the accident)

7. John_Mac (@) said on 3rd July 2012, 17:38

Thank goodness it seems the lady will survive,
    and, hopefully, make a good recovery, although,
    with a blow to the head like that,
    patience will be the order of the day.
    While of course it will be good for her “to get back on her bike” at some point,
    I hope she does so at a lower level of motorsport, and abandons
    her (frankly futile) ambition with regard to Formula 1.
    Even if there were absolutely no driver error involved here (might be quite a while before we know), –
    [that neither-up-nor-down tailgate is an accident waiting to happen] –
    in the modern era, no 32-year-old OF EITHER GENDER with her curriculum vitae,
    was ever going to break into F1 (as per her stated ambition).
    What could possibly go wrong? (Lots.)
    What was the potential upside?…
    I hope Mr & Mrs Wolff over at Williams have taken note, although,
    to be fair, Susie (Stoddart) Wolff IS perhaps rather better qualified than Miss de Villota.
    Anyway, whatever… I just hope she gets over it,
    and Marussia have a right good honest look in their mirror.

• Shaun Robinson (@robinsonf1) said on 3rd July 2012, 17:54

In all truthfullness (that a word?) women drivers bring sponsorship. Perhaps Marussia were looking at her for a long term test driver, like Mclaren have in Paffet, but one that brings in more revenue. But if someone says, ‘wanna test drive at the pinnacle of motorsport?’ – you say yes. And at the end of the day, she’s hurt herself more than anyone else.

• F1_Americana (@f1americana) said on 3rd July 2012, 18:16

+1 Very well put.

• John_Mac (@) said on 3rd July 2012, 18:53

Thank you, Shaun, and F1_Americana, for the conversation :)
          (And it might well turn out she did NOT hurt herself, that it was solely some combination
          of mechanical fault and that “health-and-safety-nightmare” tailgate.)
          Even so, my view remains that Miss de Villota (let me emphasise, irregardless of gender)
          is not adequately qualified or experienced for F1 test driving, in no way comparable with the experienced and talented Gary Paffett.
          That said, I have nothing but admiration for her bravery, and, as a fan, naturally
          have total understanding for her desire to participate at that level, as you point out
          so well, Shaun. I only hope her brain will recover and she’s not disfigured.

“Who breaks a butterfly on a wheel?…”

• celeste (@celeste) said on 3rd July 2012, 21:07

I agree with this.

Is not a question of gender is a question of qualification.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 4th July 2012, 10:48

I get what you mean @john_mac and what you say is true of many of the drivers that have landed these “test driver” and even “driver program” roles. If we look back to some names on the rosters, some look to be there only because of bringing money, or good publicity (who expected Ho-Pin-Tung to get an F1 drive, for real? or the host of local drivers getting something of a role in a team at the local races). Or even Vladimir Putin!

On the other hand, if one wants to give people a shot at having a go in the car (for various reasons), a straight line aero-test is just about the lowest level of skill needed. After all, there’s no other drivers nor many people besides the team that will even be present.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 4th July 2012, 2:01

@john_mac – Sorry, but all I see in your post is a double-standard. Just because de Villota is an older driver, that doesn’t mean she doesn’t stand a chance at making it. Look at Damon Hill – he was thirty-one years old when he made his Formula 1 debut, and when he joined Brabham in 1992, all he had was two Formula 3000 podiums to his name. And yet, from the minute he joined Williams in 1993, he was a World Championship contender, and he would remain so for the next four seasons. Maybe Maria de Villota won’t suddenly show some natural latent talent that had never shown itself before, but until such time as she actually races, how can we say with any certainty?

Your post reeks of an archaic “Run along, sweetie; you’ve had your fun, but now it’s time for the men to do their job” attitude.

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 4th July 2012, 9:18

It’s been a while but for once I completely agree with PM!

• John_Mac (@) said on 4th July 2012, 10:34

a) I wrote: “in the modern era”. Twenty years on from Damon Hill, and the cars are MUCH more digital, and less analogue – much less organic, and more Play-Stationy. No-one in
        2012, age 32, with Miss de Villota’s cv, male, female or neuter, is going to break into F1.
        My feeling is that her totally admirable ambition and enthusiasm is perhaps being taken
        advantage of for commercial reasons. Espero que ella se recupere enteramente.

b) If chivalry is archaic, then I suppose I must plead guilty on that point,
        but you know nothing of my attitude, “Prisoner Monkeys”. Might the reek you detect
        be in the nose of the beholder, perhaps?

c) I VERY rarely post on such fora, and this reminds me why. I was very upset yesterday,
        and still am, as it brings it all back: Jimmy, Ayrton, and so on (such an ugly and horrific
        accident, with the head taking full brunt), and felt the need to communicate with fellow F1 fans. I’ll leave it now, except to point out that, while accusing me of “a double-standard”,
        you commence your post with “sorry”, yet you’re not sorry at all, are you? If you would
        like the last word on this, all you have to do is reply.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 4th July 2012, 10:49

@john_mac – I sure hope you won’t let PM distract you from the conversation with the rest of us here, I think you made a valid point.

• John_Mac (@) said on 4th July 2012, 10:58

Thank you kindly for that :) , BasCB, and for your interesting reply above.

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 4th July 2012, 12:28

I don’t think there’s any validity whatsoever at mentioning age or gender in relation to these events.
            Personally I consider it bigotry. Light weight bigotry but bigotry nonetheless no matter how well intentioned the OP felt they were being…

8. Mike the bike Schumacher (@mike-the-bike-schumacher) said on 3rd July 2012, 18:17

Got a feeling this is gonna bring even more focus on open cockpits. I never really thought that Surtees or Massa’s accidents were freak, thought it was only a matter of time before a driver got struck on the head again, but to crash into a truck, i would classify that as freak. Still what difference does it make if its freak or not, this can’t be allowed happen again, maybe there should be more safety regulations at private tests.

9. gogog said on 3rd July 2012, 19:29

Surprised at some off the comments hinting that age an gender were a factor in this freak accident, I imagine that there will be more questions when the HSE enquire why there was a lorry was in the test area with its tail loading gate lowered, than the telemetry from the car.

• sid_prasher (@) said on 3rd July 2012, 20:20

Yes surprises me as well…especially since the facts are not out yet. and even if it was her mistake…that doesn’t automatically mean that she is not competent to handle an F1 car.

10. Carlito's way said on 3rd July 2012, 20:04

Sorry but wasn’t she doing a straight line test?

11. Fixy (@fixy) said on 3rd July 2012, 20:08

I wonder how one can be conscious if their condition is life-threatening. Perhaps the initial reports weren’t fully correct? Definitely if she’s conscious her head is working, which is good considering she suffered head injuries.
    I’d still be amazed to see that she had no consequences following such a nasty crash, although it’d be an immensely welcome news.

12. gogog said on 3rd July 2012, 21:00

not seen it since this morning but reports the car was misfiring on its installation lap, but nothing out off the ordinary.

13. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 3rd July 2012, 21:26

Nice to hear she’s consious.
    I can’t deny that some rude, offensive jokes came to my mind when I first read that a female driver hit a truck at a straight line test.
    However, such is the nature of F1Fanatic, after scrolling and reading the comments including all links provided, I got a somewhat clearer view on what might have happened. I know not all sources are to be trusted, but it seems that the anti stall kicked in, which apparently gives 50% throttle with cosworth.
    I think all 6 WDC’s on the grid have had their moments where anti stall kicked in, so in this case it seems not to be about the amount of talent.
    That lorrie in that place is also not so smart it seems.

In the end it’s a freak accident, where I hope FIA avoids jumping to closed cockpit conclusions…

And for now, all best for Maria and family and friends. Her talents is something we’ll discuss another time.

14. celeste (@celeste) said on 3rd July 2012, 23:03

As.com from Spain is reporting than Maria will have emergency brain surgery

15. themagicofspeed (@) said on 3rd July 2012, 23:46

The thing about this crash, that is so totally alarming compared to other crashes of the last few years, is the bewildering stupidity that caused it. According to Autosport, the crash occured when she crashed into one of the large Maruissa team transporters, which weigh several tonnes and probably are not soft, making them pretty dangerous. Why on earth was such a vehicle parked in a place where there was even a chance, no matter how small, that it could be hit? There are extremely strict safety precautions in F1 that are there for a reason, all teams are expected, rightly so, to make safety the #1 priority at all times. I just cant believe they parked a transporter where there was a chance of a collision. It could well have cost her her life; the medics on the scene reportedly said her condition was life-threatening at the time they arrived, though i understand she is conscious and stable.

Best wishes to her and hope she gets well soon.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 4th July 2012, 0:03

Yes, I get your point. But then again, if it wasn`t because of that vehicle she probably would have run over members of her team.

It is a weird accident, and as much as I want to blame the truck… we won`t know until we have all the information.

Sky was on place to tape Villota, maybe they have video that will help understand the acciden

• Stjuuv (@stjuuv) said on 4th July 2012, 6:13

The pit buildings are “not soft” either, and yet cars drive near them every other weekend. I hate how people are turning this into some kind of a silly safety over-promotion situation.