Vettel: Alonso is “complete”, Hamilton “quick” and Schumacher’s “still got it”

F1 Fanatic round-up

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Korea, 2011In the round-up: Sebastian Vettel offers his views on his top F1 rivals.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Vettel lauds Hamilton and Alonso (BBC)

“The ones that stand out are probably Fernando [Alonso], he’s one of the most complete drivers. Lewis [Hamilton] is very, very quick. There are plenty of others. Michael [Schumacher] is still in the game. I don’t think he has lost it.”

Hamilton set to shine – with Olympic torch run (Reuters)

“Hamilton was invited to carry the torch through Stevenage, the commuter town 50km north of London where he was born and grew up, but one glance at the race calendar made that a non-starter. The 27-year-old has his hands otherwise engaged when the flame is in town around lunchtime on Sunday – just before the start of a race he has every hope of winning – so it will have to be Monday instead at another location.”

F1 Fanatic via Twitter

“I wonder if Jenson Button has been invited to carry the Olympic flame? Given his triathlon prowess it would make sense.”

John Iley via Twitter

“English ‘summer’ conspiring against our aerodynamic test today, I would take a picture, but it’s too depressing…”

Cost-cutting deal ‘vital’ for F1’s future (Autosport)

Norbert Haug: “This is vital to the future of Formula 1. It cannot just be a spending competition. Look at us; we spent three times in 2005 in F1 what we did in 2010. Be it engine, aero or whatever; reducing the costs is vital for the future of F1.”

Deadlines… (Joe Saward)

“If more than half the teams would like to have the FIA policing a Resource Restriction Agreement, thus making it part of the regulations, a situation which would help to stop teams breaching the agreement, then that would be possible in the current hiatus. This may not please the big spenders but it is likely to be rather more effective than a gentleman?s agreement.”

Evolution of the F1 Car (Ruf Blacklock via Vimeo)

Anger Management, by Mark Gallagher (F1Enigma’s Insider Notebook)

“[Jean-Eric] Vergne’s mistake was compounded by his initial statement that the accident was not his fault; a view not shared by the Stewards, the team, his colleagues at Red Bull, the media or anyone watching the European Grand Prix on television. Fortunately he later apologised to [Heikki] Kovalainen.”

German GP charity fundraising screening (Badger GP)

A live screening of the German Grand Prix in London with proceeds going towards the ‘ride2spa’ fundraising effort which supports five charities.

Comment of the day

Steven welcomes Pirelli’s plan to test harder tyres:

This is exactly what I have been wishing that they?d improve with the tyres.

I don?t mind the high (and sometimes unpredictable) wear of the tyres, as this provides a lot of entertainment with the frequent pit stops and end of the race dramas of choosing between staying out and risking of losing pace very suddenly or doing another stop and risking loss of track position in return for vastly superior speed.

But the narrow working window has made the start of this season (and the start of the last one as well) into a lottery of stumbling upon a working setup of the car with virtually no way of replicating it on the next day or in the next race.
Steven

Have your say on F1’s tyres here:

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Troma!

On this day in F1

Today in 1982 Didier Pironi bounced back from the trauma of the Canadian Grand Prix, where he was involved in the accident which killed Riccardo Paletti, to win comfortably for Ferrari at Zandvoort.

Canada winner Nelson Piquet finished 21 seconds back with Keke Rosberg close behind.

Rene Arnoux suffered a major crash at Tarzan when his suspension failed.

Here’s Pironi passing Arnoux’s team mate Alain Prost for the lead of the race:

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

54 comments on Vettel: Alonso is “complete”, Hamilton “quick” and Schumacher’s “still got it”

1. Lothario said on 3rd July 2012, 0:06

I really want to now carry the torch now! :'(

2. RumFRESH (@rumfresh) said on 3rd July 2012, 0:14

That evolution of an F1 car video is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. Brilliant.

3. sorin (@) said on 3rd July 2012, 0:16

At 0:40 in the last video, if I’m not wrong, Pironi opens DRS on yellow flags….

4. HoHum (@hohum) said on 3rd July 2012, 1:14

@keithcollantine Keith, I am a little confused by Norbert Haugs statement, it seems he is saying that MercedesGP, in 2005 spent 3 times as much as they did in 2010 which would suggest that the RRA was working satisfactorilly but the tone of the article suggests that Norbert is not happy with the current RRA, could this be a problem in confusing German and English grammar and it is meant to read Mercedes GP spent 3 times as much in 2010 as in 2005 which would seem likely as in 2005 Mercedes were an engine supplier only ( If I remember rightly) whereas in 2010 they became a full team and constructor.

• Kimi4WDC said on 3rd July 2012, 2:25

Did they freeze engine development by 2005?

I bet 1999 was expensive for them, that revolutionary light weight engine ate some of the money :)

• Kimi4WDC said on 3rd July 2012, 2:34

And as I remember, often Kimi didn’t start from his actual qualifying position due to change of engine in 2005.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 3rd July 2012, 4:16

@hohum – The teams are unhappy with the RRA, because even when it works, it still requires everyone to take each other at their word. Given that the teams are pre-disposed to going over the techncial regulations with a fine-toothed comb to milk them for any advantge they can get, it’s almost a certainty that some of the teams are doing the same with the RRA. And that has made the others unhappy, because they feel that certain teams are taking advantage of everyone else’s honesty to get an edge.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 3rd July 2012, 6:32

I think that Norbert means to say that abandoning the RRA (as Red Bull in effect are doing and Ferrari to some extent) is not the way to go, as costs would go up again.

Also don’t forget that in 2005 Mercedes were developing their engines, tuning them to stop blowing up and also put a lot of money into McLaren (being a 40% owner).

5. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 3rd July 2012, 3:48

I probably would have watched the evolution video 10 times.. it is amazing how the aerodynamic grip balanced or rather over influenced mechanical grip over the years. It is wicked to imagine how these cars would have blasted through the streets of Monaco in the 1950’s through 1960’s without any measure of front or rear wings but with pure rubber and traction.

6. TED BELL said on 3rd July 2012, 5:09

I think Vettles comments are about himself…..He is all of it….His name will remain in our vocabulary for some time to come.

7. Aditya Banerjee (@) said on 3rd July 2012, 5:13

Is this Sebastian’s birthday treat to his fellow drivers?

8. Kimi4WDC said on 3rd July 2012, 6:39

I can’t wait for next race!!!!

I’ve been following F1 since 1996 and sure I was looking forward to races. But this…..I can’t wait for qualifying to start!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn’t be very comfy if I was Vettel, the way Webber is going, one or two more DNFs and he will be “second” driver next year. I’d imagine Webber would have been cruising to victory if he was not stuck behind Schumacher all race.

Alonso’s laugh on team-radio after he crossed finish line, summed it all up nicely :)

• JCost (@jcost) said on 3rd July 2012, 7:28

If RBR is as effective as it was in Valencia I don’t see anybody but Seb grabbing pole. McLaren is expected to try new parts so let’s see how better their car will be. However, I think Seb will be on pole and Webber will be trying to block Hamilton from another front row start.

On race day, McLaren should avoid a few stops strategy and try the Canada thing again, pitting for fresh rubber with 12-14 laps to go if your competition is trying to finish on old tyres seems the way to go.

• bag0 (@bag0) said on 3rd July 2012, 9:28

@jcost The forecast says light rain on friday and saturday, moderate rain on sunday. So I dont think they will have the freedom to choose how many pitstops they do. I hope, the race starts behind safetycar with a wet track, so there will be no collisions in Abbey (just in case anyone would try a Monza a la Liuzzi). After three laps SC in, ten laps on wet track, then a drying line appears, that would make my day :)

• Aditya Banerjee (@) said on 5th July 2012, 5:52

So it has come down to this… we can still predict pretty easily who will be quickest on Saturday, despite the fact that this started out as one of the closest seasons ever.

• Karthikeyan (@ridiculous) said on 3rd July 2012, 7:39

If I remember 2010 Belgian grand prix, many a readers here were of the opinion that the championship was essntially between Webber and Hamilton. We all know how it turned out. Also, Vettel is the driver who split the Brawns in 2009. No matter the deficit, he will still beat Webber in the final standings. Will it be good enough to overhaul the championship, I don’t know. But he has got Mark covered.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 3rd July 2012, 10:11

@ridiculous – I agree: Mark is a very good driver but Vettel is a brilliant driver (at least when he can challenge for poke anyway). I agree with @jcost in that providing it isn’t a wet qualifying Vettel will be on pole (unless McLaren’s upgrade is substantial); he will be confident after what he achieved in Valencia…

• David-A (@david-a) said on 3rd July 2012, 18:47

@ridiculous – The post Spa period was when he really impressed me. To get his head down and snatch back the title despite the Korea setback took some composure under great pressure.

• Aditya Banerjee (@) said on 5th July 2012, 5:55

He would have won all the four races had it not been for the engine failure at Korea. It was almost like a prequel to his utter dominance in 2011.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 3rd July 2012, 17:35

But that’s just it, Webber needs Vettel to not finish if he wants to come out on top. That’s the only reason Webber had a chance in 2010 and that’s the only reason Webber is ahead of Vettel for now.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 4th July 2012, 1:19

“It ain’t necessarily so”, Monaco and elsewhere this year Webber has had more speed, in Barcelona without even trying he was so far ahead of Seb. in Q2. they did not send him back out at the end, Vettel was sent back out and on a track that suddenly “lit-up” the tyres made it into Q3.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 4th July 2012, 4:09

“Without even trying” – maybe trying would have been enough for Q3.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 6th July 2012, 4:30

@david-a, when I say ” without even trying” I mean he was aiming for a competitive time, fast enough to ensure progressing to Q3 but not so fast as to ruin the tyres or risk damage to the car. For most of Q2 he and Hamilton were so far ahead of the rest that it seemed inconceivable that he would need to go out again

9. Stjuuv (@stjuuv) said on 3rd July 2012, 7:34

Woop. COTD. I thought the comment was destined to obscurity, as I was one of the first commentators on the article and had no replies to agree or disagree with me. And it sure looks the same in this case as well :D

10. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 3rd July 2012, 7:56

Although he doesn’t include himself, for the sake of decency, Vettel very much ranks up there with Alonso and Hamilton. The three drivers seem to have nothing but respect for each other, are extremely competitive and do a brilliant job at displaying their own particular strengths. We’re very fortunate!

Haug is right about cost control but I’m just wary of a couple of things. We should welcome new competitors to the sport and look after existing ones, but let’s not make it too easy. Regardless of costs, this sport should be difficult, simple as. I don’t want to see anyone struggle too much but getting your money right is part of the battle. Also, there is no rush to sort this out immediately. Sure, the world is in a bad shape but instead of being reactionary the teams should address it properly and not in a panic. I hope they do.

11. scribbler (@scribbler) said on 3rd July 2012, 8:38

He had to say Alonso he’s sat right next to him look ;-P

12. Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 3rd July 2012, 9:13

“Complete”, “quick” and “still got it”. Maybe that’s how their girlfriend’s (and wife) would describe them.

13. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd July 2012, 10:08

Breaking news of a crash involving Maria de Villota in a Marussia car in a straight-line aerodynamic test at Duxford. Reports she may have been injured but no firm details yet:

14. alexf1man (@alexf1man) said on 3rd July 2012, 15:06

It’s Sebastian Vettel’s birthday – 25 today!

Also it would be nice to see Jenson carry the torch on Tuesday / Wednesday next week (in my hometown) :-)

15. David-A (@david-a) said on 3rd July 2012, 18:48