Maldonado and Kobayashi fined after incidents

2012 British Grand Prix

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Silverstone, 2012Pastor Maldonado and Kamui Kobayashi were fined after incidents during the British Grand Prix.

Maldonado was handed a ??10,000 fine and a reprimand for his collision with Sergio Perez during the race. Perez retired following the collision at Brooklands.

The stewards’ decision stated: “In view of the serious nature of the incident the stewards have decided under Article 18.1 to apply two penalties.”

Kobayashi received a ??25,000 fine for an unsafe pit stop after hitting several members of his pit crew.

“The accident at the pit stop was my fault and I want to apologise to the team,” said Kobayashi.

“Of course I had to push hard for points, but without doubt I braked too late in the pit lane.

“The front wheels locked, I couldn?t control the car, and this is how I overshot the pit box. I am terribly sorry this happened, and I hope the three mechanics I hit get well soon.”

The team confirmed on Twitter one mechanic had an injured thumb and the other suffered cuts and bruises to his left leg.

2012 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 British Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Williams/LAT

94 comments on Maldonado and Kobayashi fined after incidents

1. cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 8th July 2012, 19:38

I like the new trend of fines. Unless a driver has done something clearly malicious, or there’s some obvious intent, then the FIA shouldn’t be muddling with drive-thrus etc. Maldonado lost the rear, accidents happen. He should have had better car control, but you know what he’s been fined appropriately and let’s just move on.

2. Bananas said on 8th July 2012, 19:42

The longer this goes on with MAL with no serious punishment the more difficult it’s going to get to penalise him in a manner that properly addresses the way his driving his sub-standard; not just to punish MAL but to set a clear precedent to all drivers.

Personally, I’m not sure today’s incident alone necessarily warranted a grid penalty or worse but clearly his driving and attitude to incidents is such that he needs to be shown how not to act.

One could argue that HAM was just as bad last year and should have been similarly penalised but He not only acknowledged his errors (at least one some occasions) but appears to have learned his lesson this year.

Personally, as bad as anything this year, what MAL did in Spa in 2011 was a disgrace and he should have been much more heavily punished – after all MSC was disqualified from the 1997 champiosnhip for one move when at least the championship was at stake there. We already have a percent for the type of sanction that could be applied for just one incident but in MAL’s case the number of incidents is rising.

Where do Williams go from here – their hands could well be tied by MAL’s sponsorship money they clearly depend on so can we really see the team dealing with this effectively? The FIA must act swiftly and appropriately in my opinion before other drivers’ races are ruined and, much worse, someone is hurt by driving of MAL’s standard since he joined F1. Again, the point is not just punish MAL but to set a clear precedent to the rest of the field.

3. Gibo (@gibo) said on 8th July 2012, 19:55

The problem with Maldonado’s driving style is that he is not playing it fair. He would rather be out of the race than let someone else get by or he will demand an overtake so hard that he would rather crash than fail and try again.

Can you imagine Maldonado instead of Schumacher in that infamous blocking in 2010? Schumacher left a window and Barichelo got through, it probably scared the heck out of him but he got through! What do you think Maldonado would have done..?

4. Amelie_C said on 8th July 2012, 19:59

‘Collision at BROOKLANDS?’ Which race are YOU writing about?

5. Girts (@girts) said on 8th July 2012, 20:17

I think this could mark the beginning of the end of Kobayashi’s F1 career. After such an impressive start to it and quite promising first races he has been fading more and more. He’s been generally weaker than his teammate Perez (whose performance is also often far from perfect) and now this is his 2nd penalty in as many races, caused by a rookielike error.

Talking about Maldonado, this was neither a deliberate, nor a particularly dangerous accident but it obviously was his fault and he just makes mistakes much too often. Even though I think his presence in F1 is generally good for the sport, he must be banned for one or two races if something similar again happens at Hockenheimring.

6. DavidJH (@davidjh) said on 8th July 2012, 20:17

Clearly, Maldonado is an impetuous driver. For me, his aggression is too far over the line and untempered by any finesse. I’m not a fan (though I’m prepared to be converted should he mature). Having said that, you have to judge each incident on its merits. The collision with Perez seems a straightforward racing incident. Perez attempted the pass on the outside of the curve; Maldonado gave him enough room, but on cool tires and carrying a little too much speed into the corner, slid. (Last time, in contrast, he speared into Hamilton from outside the track.)

The stewards’ decision puzzles me. I don’t think he was at fault so don’t think he should have received a penalty at all, but I certainly don’t see the logic of a (derisory) cash fine for an on-track incident.

7. Polishboy808 (@polishboy808) said on 8th July 2012, 20:21

While I don’t think it was Maldonado’s fault, I have to say that the FIA are handling these incidents the wrong way. Money is not going to deter most drivers, particularly not one thats as loaded as Pastor is. The only way I think that the drivers will learn is to give penalties that directly affect the driver during a race. Grid Penalties, race bans, disqualifications, thats what will teach a driver he’s in the wrong. You can hurt a driver’s on track performance a lot more than you can his Pocket, but the FIA don’t seem to realize that :/

8. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 8th July 2012, 21:41

I think that should a fine be impised, it should be meaningful, and should come straight out of the drivers salary.
    I reckon that the least a driver earns in a season nowadays is about £150,000 or so?
    Therefore, if they got a percentage dock in accordance with the severity of the incident that is caused by them.
    For example:
    Minor incident: 5% get paid to FiA
    Major incident: 15% gets paid to FiA
    Downright ridiculous incident: 30% gets paid to FiA

These funds can then be distributed amongst charities, and put into the R7D for the FiA for safety etc.

Good idea?

9. Chalky (@chalky) said on 8th July 2012, 21:59

Initially I did not think that Maldonado had done too much wrong in this incident. But after a couple of replays I could see that he lost the backend. So why, given such a minor mistake, would it deem a reprimand and fine from the stewards? Why not class it as a racing incident?
    Well, I can only assume that they looked at his previous laps for entry speed and angle into the same corner and concluded that he was being far too agressive and the resultant action was inevitable. Maybe because it ruined another drivers race and thus they wanted to acknowledge that this is not an acceptable driving standard for F1.
    It seems the stewards are trying to enforce safety through fines on every driver mistake. Or maybe they are just trying to log everything that Maldonado does, looking for an excuse to suspend him?
    Racing will always have racing incidents. Next thing they’ll be handing out $500 fines for re-raking the gravel traps.

• Kimi4WDC said on 10th July 2012, 4:34

This is exactly where we heading, and driver are smart about it. They will cry out loud to get it their way.

This behaviour usually gets slammed early in karting, while boys are being boys. But now we have divas.

It’s like soccer and diving, sad really.

10. Calum (@calum) said on 8th July 2012, 22:28

I’m not a fan of fining drivers for penalties, these guys are on such big salaries it is not likely to bother them. A drive through would have been suffice for Kobayashi. As for Maldonado, he has been at fault in collisions in two consecutive races so his punishment should reflect this by being more severe than his Valencia time penalty, a grid drop at Hockenheimring would have been just, in my opinion.

11. UTBowler0407 (@utbowler0407) said on 8th July 2012, 22:31

The fine and reprimand for Maldonado would seem appropriate IF he didn’t have such a long history of causing avoidable incidents. Looking at the replay, he drove into the corner far too aggressively, and would’ve spun off into the grass if Perez hadn’t been there. Of course, I suppose there’s always the possibility that a grid drop for Germany might be coming later.

With Kamui, the 25000 euro fine seems a bit excessive. It didn’t affect anyone else’s race, he was apologetic about it afterwards, and because I don’t believe it was caused by recklessness, I doubt it would happen again.

12. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 8th July 2012, 23:45

I’m sorry, how much longer are they going to let Maldonado get away with stuff like this. It’s incredible how he’s not been punished properly (face it, his fine will be paid by his government) for everything he’s done in the past two years.

And what double standards, too! In Valencia, Kobayashi (rightly) got a 5-place penalty for being over-ambitious, and Vergne (harshly) got a 10-place penalty for being careless. Yet Maldonado mindlessly takes out another driver and is hardly punished at all. Come on stewards, lighten up!

13. IceBlue (@iceblue) said on 9th July 2012, 3:56

We wouldn’t be having this discussion regarding Maldonado if he’d had the common sense to life off of the gas when he lost the car to the inside of the corner instead of powering back onto the track and into Perez again. Stupid, Pastor, stupid.