Maldonado hits back at “crying” Perez

F1 Fanatic round-up

Sergio Perez, Sauber, Silverstone, 2012In the round-up: Pastor Maldonado responds to Sergio Perez’s criticism of his driving and insists he did not deliberately hit the Sauber driver in Monaco.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Perez on Maldonado: “He?s just a very stupid driver…” (Adam Cooper)

Maldonado: “[Perez is] always crying. In Monaco it was a normal incident. I think we need to value where it?s intentional and where it?s not. For sure it was clear it was not intentional.”

McLaren must improve form – Hamilton (BBC)

“We are still in the fight, but unless we find something it’s going to be hard to stay in the fight. I raced my heart out as always but we just struggled; we did not have enough speed in general.”

Ferrari hail performance step (Sky)

Stefano Domenicali: “It’s very tough but it’s great to see Fernando [Alonso] still in the championship battle. From the sporting point of view, it’s good to see Lewis losing some points, Sebastian [Vettel] too. But it is also good to see Felipe [Massa] having a good performance today because we have jumped the classification on the constructors’ side and that is very good.”

British GP – Conference 4 (FIA)

Alonso on overtaking Lewis Hamilton: “I was with new tyres so I had a pace advantage but you know the McLaren is quite quick on the straights, so I overtook him on the exit of the corner thanks to the tyres and then he overtook me again on the straight and it was a difficult moment of the race because if you have a little contact or something you can lose your front wing or whatever and your race is over. You need to be aggressive, you need to try to no lose too much time in those overtakings but at the same time being a little bit careful.”

Vettel says first stint cost him dear (Autosport)

“[The soft tyre] didn’t perform very well. I was struggling a lot. I was in traffic, which doesn’t help, but I really couldn’t go any faster than the guys in front. In clean air I think we could’ve done the pace of the leaders at that time, but like that it was difficult.

Mark Webber drives off with fans’ hearts at F1 British Grand Prix (The Guardian)

Christian Horner: “Inevitably there is an awful lot of speculation surrounding Ferrari but we are focused on ourselves. Mark feels comfortable in the team and over the next few weeks we will sit down and talk about the future.”

Comment of the day

Bananas’ view on Maldonado’s latest collision was typical of many posted yesterday:

The longer this goes on with Maldonado with no serious punishment the more difficult it?s going to get to penalise him in a manner that properly addresses the way his driving his sub-standard; not just to punish Maldonado but to set a clear precedent to all drivers.

Personally, I?m not sure today?s incident alone necessarily warranted a grid penalty or worse but clearly his driving and attitude to incidents is such that he needs to be shown how not to act.

Personally, as bad as anything this year, what Maldonado did in Spa in 2011 was a disgrace and he should have been much more heavily punished ?ǣ after all Michael Schumacher was disqualified from the 1997 championship for one move when at least the championship was at stake there. We already have a percent for the type of sanction that could be applied for just one incident but in Maldonado?s case the number of incidents is rising.

Where do Williams go from here ?ǣ their hands could well be tied by Maldonado’s sponsorship money they clearly depend on so can we really see the team dealing with this effectively? The FIA must act swiftly and appropriately in my opinion before other drivers? races are ruined and, much worse, someone is hurt by driving of Maldonado’s standard since he joined F1.

Again, the point is not just punish Maldonado but to set a clear precedent to the rest of the field.
Bananas

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today.

On this day in F1

A year ago today the British Grand Prix was mired in a row over the FIA’s attempts to limit the use of exhaust-blown diffusers. The FIA backed down and agreed that teams would be allowed to retain them until the end of the season, following the Silverstone race.

Restrictions were imposed in an attempt to limit the use of exhaust-blowing this year, but teams are still doing their utmost to retain some of the advantage:

Image ?? Sauber F1 Team

144 comments on Maldonado hits back at “crying” Perez

1 2 3
  1. Ryne (@ryne) said on 9th July 2012, 0:45

Sorry PM, the Monaco incident wasn’t “normal” by any means.

• ivz (@ivz) said on 9th July 2012, 0:54

He has to realise that because of his previous incidents, he has to be more careful. But I don’t think he has the brains for that. Yes, for anyone else it would have been seen as a racing incident, but MAL needs to wake up.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th July 2012, 1:04

I am yet to see conclusive proof that it was anything more than an accident.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 9th July 2012, 13:08

I agree with you. :)

However, Perez left more than enough room for Pastor to hold his line and carry on, but i guess Pastor just couldn’t control his rear end of his car. And i think Pastor should have yielded the position to Perez, and tried to get it back in the subsequent corners.

But I am getting fed up with him crashing into people all the time. Like, he says “Oh well that’s just racing”. Well, no Pastor, sorry mate, but you’re getting into incidents far too often for this to be considered safe.

25 000 Euro fine fully deserved considering his past behavior (Monaco 2012, Valencia 2012) just to name a few.

• Paulocreed (@paulocreed) said on 9th July 2012, 14:05

@tophercheese21

PM got a $10,000 fine.
          It was KK who got the $25,000 fine for injuring his pit crew.

Otherwise I agree with the COTD. Pastor races the way most ppl do online.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 9th July 2012, 14:54

Oh sorry, I thought Pastor got the 25k fine. My mistake. If anything it should have been the other way around! With Pastor getting the 25k fine.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 9th July 2012, 1:32

I’m going “Bananas” on this one.

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 9th July 2012, 6:49

For sure it was clear it was not intentional.

Yeah Pastor, for sure…

I think that Maldonado is missing a very important point here. It doesn’t matter whether it’s intentional or not. What matters is whether or not it’s your fault. You can still damage somebody else’s car, you can still hurt or even kill someone without intending it, just by being reckless and stupid.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 9th July 2012, 7:18

Spa 2011… how did he got away with that?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th July 2012, 9:54

@jcost – The stewards reprimanded Hamilton at the time. They obviously felt he played a part – however unintentional – in provoking Maldonado.

At the time, the circuit was wet, but a drying line was appearing, and lap times were rapidly dropping. Maldonado made a mistake at the entry to the chicane, but his sector times were still good enough for him to better his position despite it.

However, his mistake opened the door for Hamilton, who muscled his way through and forced Maldonado off the drying line and onto the damp circuit. This cost Maldonado a lot more time, and he obviously felt that Hamilton had ruined his lap time. If Hamilton had not forced his way through, he probably would not have made it into Q3, but even if he stood to gain ten positions when Maldonado only stood to gain two, it doesn’t give him the right to compromise another driver’s lap time.

That doesn’t exonerate Maldonado from any wrongdoing, but it is the view that the stewards took. They believed that Maldonado attacked Hamilton because Hamilton compromised his lap. The difference is that it wasn’t a cold, calculated and deliberate move, but a hot-headed decision made in the heat of the moment.

Maldonado didn’t “get away” with anything. The stewards still penalised him. But they weren’t harsh on him – probably on the advice of the drivers’ steward – because they felt he got angry and did something stupid.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th July 2012, 10:09

@prisoner-monkeys

But they weren’t harsh on him

The odd thing here is the stewards at least gave the impression they thought they were being harsh on Maldonado:

In view of the serious nature of the incident the stewards have decided under Article 18.1 to apply two penalties.

See: Maldonado and Kobayashi fined after incidents

But the fact is neither of his ‘penalties’ are a serious deterrent. A reprimand is the equivalent of wagging your finger at someone disapprovingly and carries about as much force. And the fine will be paid from the spare change in Hugo Chavez’s back pocket.

• Enigma (@enigma) said on 9th July 2012, 10:29

@keithcollantine

It’s not the worst penalty, but don’t forget 3 reprimands equal a 10-place grid drop. He’s already got 2.

I think a reprimand makes sense for this incident. It was his fault, but it’s a driver error that can happen to anyone when racing so closely. Definitely can’t be compared to some other incidents, which were just stupid.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th July 2012, 10:39

@enigma

I agree entirely. Which is why I think the chorus of people calling for his racing licence to be revoked is extreme and unnecessary.

• John H (@john-h) said on 9th July 2012, 10:14

In my opinion, had the FIA correctly punished Pastor with a one race ban for this none of these problems would be occurring today. As much as I am frustrated at Maldonado, I think the FIA could have prevented this problem (which it is, if Perez is right when he says pretty much all the drivers have a problem with him).

PM, one of these days you might agree with the majority. Your description of the Spa 2011 incident is disappointing.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th July 2012, 10:50

@john-h – I don’t think Maldonado deserved a race ban then. The overhead shots clearly showed Hamilton pushing him off the dry line.

Taken in isolation, the penalty might be a little light. But look at it in the wider context: Maldonado hadn’t really been involved in serious or regular altercations; meanwhile, Hamilton was in and out of the stewards’ office on a regular basis. The day after the incident with Maldonado, Hamilton crashed into Kobayashi, and then accused Kobayashi of wrongdoing without looking at the replay (and sheepishly taking it back when he did). And there were other incidences of Hamilton getting tangled up in incidents, like when he spun Maldonado out in Monaco, or hit Massa at the hairpin in the same race.

If it was just one incident, then I’d be willing to write it off as an accident. And if it was two, I’d accept coincidence as a reasonable explanation. But when you get to three times, it’s a pattern. Looking at Hamilton’s 2011 season holisitically, he simply did not respect any of the other drivers, on track or off (except maybe Jenson Button). So if Hamilton wasn’t respecting Maldonado when they clashed in Monaco, and if he wasn’t respecting Massa when they tangled at the hairpin, and if he wasn’t respecting Kobayashi in the race at Spa, what eveidence is there that he was respecting Maldonado during qualifying for the race?

I think Hamilton knew he had to make his flying lap count, and when he got to that chicane and saw Maldonado leave the door wide open, he took the opportunity and didn’t care what happened to the Williams. Sure, he was faster, but that didn’t give him the right to compromise another driver’s lap the way he did. And if he had not taken the opening and missed out on Q3, that would have been his problem because he didn’t pick the right moment to record a time.

I have never said that Pastor Maldonado was not guilty of wrongdoing in Spa. I just said that I felt there were circumstances that might explain why he did it, and that those circumstances were strong enough to justify a leser penalty. If Hamilton hadn’t pushed Maldonado off the racing line, Maldonado wouldn’t have crashed into him. The stewards giving Hamilton a reprimand for it demonstrate that they felt the same way.

And to this day, I believe that if Hamilton and Maldonado’s roles had been reversed in Spa, everyone would have called Hamilton deliberately crashing into Maldonado justified for the reasons I outlined above.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 9th July 2012, 10:40

@prisoner-monkeys I gotta admit: I love the way you formulate your opinions even when I completely disagree with you it’s pleasant to read your comments.
          PM, when I say get away with that I mean not being banned for at least a race.
          The Venezuelan PM must not only improve his racing behaviour but also how he presents his ideas before the media, saying “I’m sorry, I made a mistake” doesn’t harm anybody.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th July 2012, 10:55

@jcost

when I say get away with that I mean not being banned for at least a race

The stewards clearly felt that Maldonado lashed out in anger because he felt Hamilton robbed him of a better lap time (and grid position) by forcing him out onto the wet circuit, and that he would not have lashed out if Hamilton had not pushed him aside.

If, however, they felt that Maldonado deliberately crashed into Hamilton to put him out of qualifying without any antecedent – like being forced wide at the chicane – then they would have banned him. Call it criminal intent if you will; if Maldonado had been planning to take Hamilton out, from, say, Blanchimont, then he would have had the full force of the stewards bearing down on him.

• Deurmat (@deurmat) said on 9th July 2012, 11:50

@prisoner-monkeys how can keep defending Maldonado?

• Bernard (@bernard) said on 9th July 2012, 12:05

Maldonado should be banned. Like he was in 2005 for ignoring yellow flags and almost killing a marshal. He has zero respect for anyone and has proven it time and time again.

Anyone who intentionally collides with other drivers should be disqualified from motorsport – in all its forms.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – the FIA are a pathetic joke of a governing body. So much for Action for Road Safety:

The FIA’s Action for Road Safety is a global campaign, focusing the federation’s resources on helping it’s member organisations around the globe to educate and advocate for safer roads, vehicles and behaviours.

Each year, 1.3 million people are killed on roads and another 50 million are injured, some of them very seriously. The FIA’s Action for Road Safety campaign aims to assist the United Nations in reaching the goal of saving five million lives on the world’s roads in 10 years.

It’s all talk.

• Nick.UK (@) said on 9th July 2012, 13:06

@prisoner-monkeys

I struggle to see how you see a difference between these two things. Both involve a driver reacting to a situation that is not acceptable. If a driver is unable to maintain focus and keep self control then he has no business racing with others at 200mph! After all, the man who kills his wife after finding her in bed with another man is not given a lesser conviction, it is murder and has a mandatory life sentence (UK law). This sets a standard to be adhered to by all. In Formula 1 there needs to be a comparable standard set. Maldonado is not fit for Formula 1. I don’t see how you can defend him so much. Sometimes I wonder if you are in face, Maldonado himself… lol.

2. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 9th July 2012, 0:52

I think pastor maldonado thionks we’re all blind

3. Carlitox (@carlitox) said on 9th July 2012, 1:00

No fella, the thing in Monaco was not normal. Nor the one in Valencia nor the one in Spa last year. Chill out before you cause worse trouble.

4. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 9th July 2012, 1:00

The more I hear Pastor Maldonado talk, the less I like him. Next time he’s at the orthodontist Williams should consider asking to have his jaws wired shut!

5. DVC (@dvc) said on 9th July 2012, 1:14

I wouldn’t put this incident in the same category as the others people are talking about. It was clear that Maldonado would have been able to go around the corner and not hit Perez had he not lost control of the car. This was not a lack of judgement error, it was a lack of skill error. They are not the same thing.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 9th July 2012, 1:30

No it was a lack of judgement because he deliberately left his braking to late.

• Antonio Nartea (@tony031r) said on 9th July 2012, 2:25

Precisely.

Schumacher hit Senna from behind not because he couldn’t stop the car. That’s just a consequence of the fact that he found himself too late on the brakes there. Same thing with Maldonado & Perez. Maldonado hit Perez because he lost control of the car and, in order, lost control of the car because he misjudged the braking period there while trying to keep ahead of Checo. Simple as that.

Lack of judgement comes with the lack of skill.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 9th July 2012, 2:36

It’s difficult to say so considering the camera view wasn’t the best and they didn’t show any onboard shots.

I still maintain it wasn’t a blatant mistake, the car slide a bit and he overcorrected it. Perez “happened” to be right on his side, and they touched.

Not making excuses for Maldonado, he’s been absolutely disgusting recently, but this one isn’t in the same level…

• Julian (@julian) said on 9th July 2012, 6:45

Agree but I think it was an “avoidable incident”

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 9th July 2012, 9:36

Nearly all crashes are “avoidable incidents” – the only problem is that to avoid them you don’t race.

I don’t understand the current obsession with fingering someone with blame every time two high speed, on the edge, racing cars come together – that’s F1.

• Spinmastermic (@spinmastermic) said on 9th July 2012, 2:06

When he gets desperate, he crashes.

• coefficient (@coefficient) said on 9th July 2012, 14:43

I personally felt that Maldonado saw Perez was going to attempt to go round the outside in order to block Maldonado’s approach to the 2nd apex of the chicane. Therefore, Maldonado elected to enter the left hander 10mph quicker than on any previous lap knowing his car would slide into Perez’s. The guy is dangerous! He has a haughty spoilt manner on the track that probably and a sense of entitlement that comes from getting your own way all the time through wealth and the leverage it brings. After winning in Barcelona he has really let himself and F1 down with his behaviour and I am utterly shocked that old Frank has not torn a strip off him for it!

• Claidheamh (@aseixas) said on 9th July 2012, 2:15

Yet, if you add lack of skill, overly aggressive driving, and moronic temper together, what do you get? Not a Super License, usually.

• Claidheamh (@aseixas) said on 9th July 2012, 2:17

In fact, I don’t think I ever saw him scrap for position cleanly (bearing in mind this is the first year I’ve watched F1 in a while).

• Kimi4WC said on 9th July 2012, 5:46

Raikkonen did alright(on several occasions), as did many others.

• 1 of the 3 said on 9th July 2012, 8:06

I’d have to say that Raikkonen has indeed done alright.
            Let’s hope: 1) Raikkonen qualifies better 2) Grosjean cuts out the small/huge mistakes that are costing him dearly 3)no random car failures and bad team strategy.
            I think if these and some other things happen we’ll see Lotus challenging Alonso-Red Bull for wins.
            Alonso/Ferrari are super dangerous at the moment – so Lotus could really help keep this championship intense. But Alonso’s success and consistency are going to be very difficult to handle…

• disgruntled said on 9th July 2012, 3:15

I disagree. Pastor wouldnt have lost control if Sergio wasnt on the outside of him. A sign that he over does himself when he’s in danger of being passed. Patrick Head needs to sit him down for a stern talk. On the positive side PSDVA are getting good publicity from all these collisions

• troutcor said on 9th July 2012, 4:30

Look, Maldonado is obviously a loose cannon.
      But at the same time, consider the BBC commentary on Weber’s pass of Alonso: They talked of one experienced, capable driver having enough trust in the guy he’s passing to go around on the outside. Anyone who places a similar measure of trust in Maldonado is crazy. Wait for a better place to pass.
      Is it fair that a wild driver earns that kind of berth? No, but is it wise to instead risk getting knocked out of the race? Of course not.
      Give Maldonado a wider berth and let him take himself out of the race with his antics. The bad drivers always do, eventually.

6. dmcobern (@dmcobern) said on 9th July 2012, 1:16

Formula 1 has gotten soft, a driver cant even have a shot at overtaking without the pressure of “if you **** this up your getting penalised”
    What ever happened to “racing incident”?

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 9th July 2012, 9:14

But in the deadly game of football that’s ok is it? You ****-up your tackle, hit the player and not the ball, you get penalised.

But not F1 – nah, that’s just really fast cars – nothing to worry about there…

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 9th July 2012, 17:08

@dmcobern
      Rule are rules. In combat sports if you low blow or head butt your opponent (either on purpose or by accident) you will be penalised, so I see no reason why a driver who ruins another drivers race by crashing into him and consequently retires him from a race shouldn’t be penalised.

• Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 10th July 2012, 7:58

What ever happened to “racing incident”?

“Racing incident” was never (and never will be) an efficient method of justifying an outcome of an accident. Times change, F1 has grown and changed, and so must the rules. Nowdays, cars are so much more expensive and teams “time and effort” in building them is so much more valuable (not to mention cars are a lot more fragile). If you take out another driver (or yourself) by being inconsiderate and clumsy, you have robed the entire team of potential rewards they were due. Thus appropriate action needs to take place.

7. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th July 2012, 1:25

I’ve been a vehement critic of Ferrari and Alonso in the past, but I’m warming to them this year. I can now truly understand why people respect Alonso so much; I never could until now, because he was spoiled by Flavio Briatore.

I really do hope Alonso wins the title this year. We’re only nine races in, but he already deserves it. He’s not coming out in the last two minutes of qualiying, going half a second faster than everyone else and then smirking at the camera. I get the feeling that he and Ferrari have had to fight tooth and nail for every single point they’ve scored so far, which is a gargantuan achievement given where the team was at the start of the season.

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 9th July 2012, 9:46

2011-2012 Alonso is infinitely more likeable than 2006-2010 Alonso.

I still want WEBBAH to beat him, though.

• Slr (@slr) said on 9th July 2012, 10:41

I think the 2011-12 Alonso is the same as the 2006-10 Alonso. He just hasn’t been involved in an controversies recently.

I also hope Alonso wins the title as he has easily been the best driver of the season so far, that and he’s also my favourite driver along with the Sauber drivers.

8. Antonio Nartea (@tony031r) said on 9th July 2012, 2:13

Maldonado looks more and more like a spoiled brat, to be honest. The kind who thinks having a decent amount of money and some skill comes along with an “all is permitted / all is forgiven / get out of jail free” card.

Someone, either Williams or the FIA needs to apply a serious reality-check to this guy before he puts himself in the middle of “a big one” and brings a ****storm upon the whole sport. And with that in mind, a better PR move for him would have been to admit his share of the fault so far and try to make up for his recklessnes at least in front of the media, instead of jumping at Perez’s throat like that. Ah well…

• Matt (@agentmulder) said on 9th July 2012, 3:19

That’s probably the biggest thing I don’t understand from today, bar “why hasn’t the FIA suspended this guy yet?”

What did Pastor expect Sergio to do? Not long ago, Maldonado decided to play bumper cars with Perez because, in Maldonado’s mind, Sergio disrespected him in some way. Fast forward a few races, and Perez once again finds himself being hit (this time with terminal damage) by the exact same guy, and gives an angry interview after.

As much as I agree with Perez that Maldonado is dangerous and needs to learn to contain the red mist, I’m almost certain Pastor never meant to hit Perez today. He defended over-optimistically, lost control, and bumped him. All he had to do after the race was go up to Perez, be amicably, say “my bad” and move on. Instead he acts like his faultless and more or less tells Perez to quit being a *****.

Actually, as I write this, I think I might understand why. Williams’ continued support of Maldonado and the FIA’s lack of serious action is probably enabling all this. Since neither have given him more than a slap on the wrist for very serious infractions. Apparently, causing an avoidable accident is worth 2/5 the penalty for locking up and hitting your own pit crew.

While intentionally ramming a competitor or driving dangerously in the past disqualified drivers from the WDC (like Schumacher), or saw their license suspended (Senna), or completely revoked (Ide), now it’s only worth a 10 place grid drop both the first and second time around.

Seeing this, Pastor now sees himself as untouchable, immune from any meaningful penalty. Grid drops are mostly meaningless with the Pirelli rubber being what it is, Williams won’t drop him because Lord knows they need the money, and the FIA sit by thumb firmly implanted in their rectum. Someone needs to knock this kid down a few pegs before he causes a major incident that could lead to an injury or worse.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th July 2012, 3:51

@agentmulder

Because he hasn’t done anything to justify a suspension.

Okay, he was involved in an incident in Valencia that put Hamilton out of the race, and he was involved in an incident at Silverstone that put Perez out of the race. Fair enough; I can see your grievance.

On the other hand, Kamui Kobayashi was invovled in an incident in Valencia that very nearly put Felipe Massa out of the race. And he was involved in an incident at Silverstone that saw him plough into three of his mechanics.

Why isn’t anyone calling for Kobayashi to be banned?

• Grigor (@grigor) said on 9th July 2012, 11:58

Might want to add Grosjean in Australia to the list aswell.

• Claidheamh (@aseixas) said on 9th July 2012, 12:32

And why not Monaco as well?

• Antonio Nartea (@tony031r) said on 9th July 2012, 13:32

Grosjean got his act straight since Monaco. And the nature of the incidents he got involved in is of a different sort compared to what Maldonado is doing on track.

As for Koba, he generally finds himself in delicate situations while attacking someone / almost never in defensive positions. He’s somehow showing a bit of a Hamiltonesque behaviour. I’d qualify him as a bit too eager rather than reckless.

Both Koba and Grosjean are showing improvements in their behaviour on track. Grosjean was less careless in the last 3 GPs than he was at the start of the season and Koba is less agressive and a bit more calculate now than he was last year. Maldonado upped his incident / penalties rate since last year already and it’s not even mid-season yet. That of course wrapped up nicely in a stuck-up, ignorant attitude towards every other driver on the grid.

So, apples and oranges in both cases, to be honest.

Plus: Maldonado had the same kind of controversies surrounding him in every competition he ever entered. in WSR – the 4 race ban and the Monaco organisers’ intention of giving him a lifetime-ban from the circuit, in GP2 when he was accused he intentionally binned it at Monaco after setting the pole time etc.

Add that up to what he’s doing now in F1 and it has to raise some questions about how and why this guy still has a superlicence.

• Grigor (@grigor) said on 9th July 2012, 14:47

i meant Maldonado took Grosjean out of the race in Australia clipping his wheel.

• Antonio Nartea (@tony031r) said on 9th July 2012, 15:45

@Grigor My bad. Didn’t pay full attention when I first read the comment. :)

It still applies though as both Grosjean and Koba’s names have been used in the same sentence with Maldonado’s a lot this weekend.

• Grigor (@grigor) said on 9th July 2012, 15:51

@tony031r no worries, i was a bit vague with what i meant.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 9th July 2012, 18:17

@tony031r I didn`t knew that Maldonado was involve in all those incidents, certantly it sets a precedent for his behavoir.

While I agree that the incident was an accident or mistake this time around, two times is a concidence three is soemthing more, maybe FIA should think in a more severe way to punish him, since the money he is usin to rance is not his money, maybe they should suspend him for a race or two. That will hurt him.

9. TimmyA (@timmya) said on 9th July 2012, 3:10

Mal is just like a little kid that just repeats you insult back at you “no your a idiot” “no it was hamiltons fault”(even though i wasn’t even on the track. what this spoiled brat needs is a ban from 1 or 2 races. I think 3 would teach him and his employeers a lesson. They wouldn’t baby coddle him then if he lost them the chance to earn points.

10. baldgye (@baldgye) said on 9th July 2012, 3:19

Ban, someone please BAN PM…

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th July 2012, 3:48

Why? He hasn’t done anything bannable.

When Michael Schumacher crashed into Jacques Villeneuve at Jerez in 1997, he was excluded from the championship. The FIA did not revoke his racing licence. All Pastor Maldonado did was go into Brooklands a little too quickly for his (and Perez’s) own good. That’s hardly a bannable offence.

The most recent driver to have his superlicence suspended was Yuji Ide, back in 2006. The FIA revoked it after he collided with Christjian Albers at Imola, resulting in Albers cartwheeling through the gravel trap. But Ide’s licence wasn’t revoked because of the clash with Albers. It was revoked because the FIA felt he wasn’t experienced enough. He had virtually no single-seat racing experience outside Formula Nippon, which at time was not recognised by the FIA as one of the series that a driver can earn a superlicence from. He was, on average, eight seconds off the pace of the fastest drivers in qualifying – compared to Charles Pic, who was three seconds off the pace in Valencia (Silverstone having been wet). The FIA pulled Ide’s licence because they felt he simply could not compete in Formula 1.

There is simply no basis for revoking Maldonado’s licence.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 9th July 2012, 12:58

@prisoner-monkeys I’m glad you’re speaking some sense, I agree with everything you’re saying but I’m tired of putting it into words!

Fact is, he’s a race winning F1 driver and it will take more than a few mistakes to revoke his super-license, and rightfully so.

• Jake (@jleigh) said on 10th July 2012, 0:06

I would say deliberately crashing into competitors twice within the space of the year is sufficient enough. Ofcourse, now they have failed to sufficiently punish him on either of those 2 situations, anything less than another similar incident (not unlikely) will lead to increasingly leniant punishments.

• Aditya Banerjee (@) said on 10th July 2012, 14:17

PM supporting PM
        Expected nothing else

• Stephen Jones (@aus_steve) said on 9th July 2012, 8:49

nah, @prisoner-monkeys is a cool guy

11. ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 9th July 2012, 3:33

Personally, I’m with Eddie Jordan when he says this incident isn’t a particularly bad one. But Maldonado can’t afford to keep making mistakes or getting involved in accidents like this. He has a lot to learn if he wants to be counted amongst “good” drivers.

12. I Love the Pope said on 9th July 2012, 3:49

It seems that Formula One drivers need five things in order to succeed: Experience (start karting early), Confidence (absolute belief that you can win), Courage (to take a chance when one should), Patience (to not take a chance when one shouldn’t), Self-Mastery (to not allow emotions to overthrow reason). Pastor certainly seems to lack the latter three. Some may argue that he is courageous, but that would be a misunderstanding of the word, for in lacking patience and self-mastery, his courage is mere recklessness.

• Abel Archundia (@aquataz68) said on 9th July 2012, 10:46

Right on on MAL.

Checo also fell short on one of these during the race (patience) and another one (restraint or self-mastery) after the race. He needs just focus on Qualy and on bringing home the points his team deserves.

13. Toby Bushby (@toby-bushby) said on 9th July 2012, 4:22

Agree with Bananas on Maldonado, but there’s another driver who’s racking up the penalties for avoidable collisions, but in this case it’s almost as if it amounts to “flair”. Kamui Kobayashi. While admittedly missing the (probably) deliberate edge that some of Maldonado’s crashes have, he has consistently been involved in carbon fibre being scattered across the track this year and last. Bananas’ staement aimed at Maldonano could well apply to Koby aswell: “One could argue that Lewis Hamilton was just as bad last year and should have been similarly penalised but He not only acknowledged his errors (at least one some occasions) but appears to have learned his lesson this year.”

Funny how being “cool” like Koby keeps the fans from opening their eyes, whilst “Menacing Maldo” (he still reminds of Jaws from the Bond films btw) is considered as a pay driver, which is “uncool”.

Once again, I agree with everything said about Maldo, but widen the field of vision a bit and you’ll see there is a problem with the “playstation generation” up and down the pitlane. In my opinion. Cheers.

• Himmat said on 9th July 2012, 7:01

To me, Hamilton along with Maldonado and Kobayashi are the most erratic Formula One drivers. However, Hamilton this year seems a little more reformed. Maldonado has become worse this year while Kobayashi was bad this year and last.

Thing is, Kobayashi makes these errors in an attacking postition, not like Hamilton and Maldonado. Anyways, people like Raikkonen, Alonso and Schumacher can also overtake without causing too much mayhem. Whatever said and done, these should be viewed as a part and parcel of racing. Unless they seem intentional. In this case, it wasn’t intentional for Maldonado I believe.

• lux said on 9th July 2012, 7:39

Sorry, I’m not with you about Kobay. He’d made mistakes in the last two races but they were completely different in nature. In Valencia, he was trying to get past Massa and overcooked it. That’s not the same as over defending. He and Hamilton are the only drivers who can be trusted to always try an overtake when there’s a chance, and in 90% of the cases it works. See in Barcelona, a notoriously difficult track to pass: he made two difficult but impeccable manoeuvres (on Button and Rosberg). I think that’s the essence of the sport and should be encouraged.
      Now in Silverstone, he got caught by the lack of pit stop training in the dry. It was still a mistake but did not involve any other driver. It’s bad enough knowing you’ve hurt people of your team (and also lost some good championship points in the process), I’m not sure it deserved such a severe fine. Certainly not higher than Maldonado’s.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 9th July 2012, 18:24

Now in Silverstone, he got caught by the lack of pit stop training in the dry.

By this logic all the drivers should have problems with the pit stops this arace, but it was only Kobayashi who run over his teammates.

Kobayashi mades a lot of mistakes. But since people like him they are not trying to burn him like they are doing with Maldonado.

I think that the penalty for Kobayashi was more expensive because people was actually hurt in this one. And that is fair, you literally just showed almost 500 billion viewersone car running over other people, so the penalty is fair.

• lux said on 10th July 2012, 22:28

As I said before he did make a mistake, but that’s the first time this particular mistake happens to him. The same cannot be said about Maldonado.
        I don’t think Kobayashi is particularly prone to making errors, no more than the others running on the midfield, despite the fact that he ise more of an attacker than most. Maybe people don’t ‘burn him’ because he does not have a defiant attitude after he makes a mistake, unlike Maldonado who seems unable to take any responsibility for his actions

14. Kimi4WC said on 9th July 2012, 5:13

I think Williams should get involved in this matter.

No doubt they have one of the fastest drivers on the grid, but he need a lot of polishing before he becomes Champion material, and Maldonado certainly have all the requirements to become one.

They have to get a coach or someone to build up his mental strength and stamina. As we know, this is something most of Flying Finns are born with, but most South American drivers have to acquire by hands on experience.

It’s Williams who are the biggest looser here and this is 3rd time this season they fail to score major points.

If you think Maldonado is crazy, just look at Senna in karting and even Formula 1. His way or highway.

15. melkurion (@melkurion) said on 9th July 2012, 5:58

I know this isn’t popular sentiment, but I agree with Maldonado, this was a raceincident, nothing more.
    People are putting on the hate on Maldonado, and yes, he he has a lot of rough edges.
    BUt I rather like him, and his driving style, it livens up the race, a driver showing some balls.
    I remember Senna always saying someting like: you never back down, you see a gap you go for it, because the minute the other drivers think you’re the one who backs down it’s over.
    This is no different, Maldonado is a tough racer, does he cross the line occasionaly? Yes, but I kinda like having a bad boy in today’s paddock of goody twoshoes drivers all lining up like good little boys behind mr Ecclestones vision of F1.
    BUt does he deserve al this flack and does he deserve to be penelised every time he is involved in a racing incident, absolutly not.

• Dane. (@dane-1) said on 9th July 2012, 6:09

@melkurion Agree with you 100%. I like his aggressive style too

• David-A (@david-a) said on 9th July 2012, 6:35

Does he cross the line occasionaly? consistently? Yes, but I kinda like having a bad boy in today’s paddock of goody twoshoes drivers all lining up like good little boys behind mr Ecclestones vision of F1.

I agree. I’m neither a fan or hater of him, but he always seems to be a talking point.

• JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 9th July 2012, 8:15

That’s ludicrous. You simply can’t have a driver on the grid that has the mentality of Maldonado. Not only does he intentionally use his car as a weapon (See Spa and Monaco), he also doesn’t see anything wrong with it, and denies any allegations made against him, when it’s so clear what he’s doing.

You can have rivalries on the grid without having the fear that a driver may eventually cause a serious incident and injuries. Just look at Hamilton and Alonso last race, and Alonso and Webber.

• Pingu said on 9th July 2012, 11:12

I would urge people to watch this incident again and then compare the amount of room Webber gave Alonso to the amount of room Perez gave Maldonado. Frankly, if you’re overtaking someone you have a responsibility to yourself not to put your car in a dangerous position just as the guy you’re overtaking has the responsibility not to “move twice”. Perez simply squeezed Maldo too much so that when he had a slight loss of control he had nowhere to go. When Webber overtook Alonso, Alonso locked up and subsequently missed the apex but Webber was far enough out that it didn’t matter.

Maldonado has had his issues this year and Monaco was total brain fade (for which he was penalised immediately) but for the most part it’s nothing that others haven’t done (Hamilton in 2011 as many have mentioned).

Also, consider this incident in context with Schumacher on Barrichello at Hungary in 2010 and even Rosberg defending “aggressively” in Bahrain before calling for a ban. Totally over the top!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th July 2012, 11:24

I’ve watched the replays several times now and the significant difference between the two is Alonso had the sense not to go into the corner faster than the car was capable of going around it.

Neither Webber nor Perez gave their rivals much room. But they gave them enough, which is exactly what one would expect of them. Of the four, only Maldonado fell short of showing the ability to race wheel-to-wheel at this level.

• davidwhite (@davidwhite) said on 9th July 2012, 12:17

I think that’s what it comes down. Maldonado doesn’t have the skill or temperament to race wheel to wheel consistently without causing incidents. He’s quick – there’s no doubting that – but he doesn’t have the car control or the mental strength.

1 2 3