Mark Webber to remain at Red Bull in 2013

2013 F1 season

Mark Webber, Red Bull, Silverstone, 2012Mark Webber will continue to drive for Red Bull in 2013, the team has confirmed.

Team principal Christian Horner confirmed Webber’s contract had been extended for another year. He said: “Mark has driven very well in the first nine races of this season and his performance has been impressive.

“Much of his Formula One success has been during his time with Red Bull Racing and together we have achieved 10 poles, nine wins and 31 podiums.

“As there was a strong desire from both sides to continue the partnership, it was a logical decision to extend our relationship and it is with great pleasure that we confirm Mark will drive for us in 2013.”

Webber added: “I?ve been with Red Bull Racing since 2007 and have achieved nine Grand Prix wins during that time. I?m high on confidence at the moment and firing on all cylinders. I know the team well and I?m very comfortable here; we have grown together over the years and it feels like absolutely the right thing to stay with Red Bull for another season.

“The team is constantly working hard to improve in all areas and we?ve shown that together we can win races. It?s great to be able to make this announcement off the back of the win in Silverstone at the weekend and I?m looking forward to competing on the edge and pushing myself in every race again next season.”

Webber admitted he had talked to other teams about 2013: “There were discussions with Ferrari, but my decision was to stay here.”

He described his working relationship with Sebastian Vettel as “very good”:

“Obviously with Seb, we?ve worked very, very close together for a long period of time now. I think no-one would really have envisaged how long we have worked together, so that?s probably been a bit of a surprise.

“There are not many team-mates staying together for that long in Formula One, but it?s proved to be a successful partnership with both of us working very hard with the key technical members of the team. It?s been a potent operation.

“We?re still competitive when we hit the track, no question about it, especially in 2010 and this year. Last year there wasn?t much racing between Sebastian and I, but in 2009, 2010 and this year, there have been some great battles.

“That?s been enjoyable for the team, sometimes stressful too as it?s not easy for both of us to be at the front and I can understand that, as both of us are thinking about ourselves sometimes, but ultimately we know that we need to get the cars home and get the best results for us and the team.”

Webber refused to be drawn on whether he would call time on his career in the sport after next year: “I?ve been asked this question for the past four years and my answer remains the same.

“It?s a results-based sport at the front of the grid so the future lies in my own hands. It?s down to me to deliver the on-track results.”

He added that having his contract for next year finalised would make it easier to focus on delivering results this year: “That?s another reason to just get it to bed.

“I’ve been hearing different rumours and reasons for a long time now. At the end of the day I know everything that has been going on. You want to make sure your focus is clearly on driving the car and the guys that you?re working with. It?s important the team knows you?re 100% with them, which, of course, I am.”

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

168 comments on Mark Webber to remain at Red Bull in 2013

1. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 10th July 2012, 11:10

Very logical decision for both Mark and the Redbull team. He already has a good relation with then, seem to get on well with the people he works with, and lives in the same country where the factory is. Besides, he and Vettel may not be best friends, but certainly are very good professional partners at Redbull. The team on the other hand will have a solid lineup of drivers for yet another year. In Webber, they got a very stable and consistent driver both performance-wise and mentally. The only other option would have been Hamilton, but why risk the uncertainty if you already got a great team. This is a great win-win situation for all involved at Redbull.

• davidnotcoulthard said on 10th July 2012, 12:19

Webber’s been at RBR (Sort of) before Chris Horner (Or even Red Bull themselves) came. When Horner came, Mark left for Williams, before he ended up going back there.

2. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 10th July 2012, 11:14

I would imagine that you’ll not see many drivers committing themselves beyond 2013 at the moment. The rules are changing (if they ever sort out that horrendous mess, but let’s assume they will) significantly for 2014, which will almost certainly result in a bit of a reshuffle in the pecking order. I’d expect most teams to want a bit of stability at least until then, when drivers are more likely to want to take a bit of a gamble on which teams they think will be fastest out of the box come 2014. Especially considering how beneficial the rules reshuffle was for a certain Mr Button in 2009.

I’d be keeping my powder dry for the moment, and just see where things go with regards to 2014 and the Concorde agreement.

3. matthewf1 (@) said on 10th July 2012, 11:38

It is undoubtedly the right move for both parties, but I am rather disappointed as it reduces the amount of driver movement we will see before 2013.

Webber said he has spoken to Ferrari. This means that Ferrari are seriously considering replacing Massa. They also seem to want a bit of experience, a cool head.

To me, this leaves three men available who could fill that role: Glock, Kovalainen and Di Resta.

I do wonder how the frst two would adapt back to proper racing, after three years of moving out of the way (good experience for Alonso though). Di Resta seems to have a cool head. The split with Hamilton Snr at such a point in the season means Di Resta wants a big move, and the Lewis/Dad factor was in the way.

I think Alonso would go for Kova, as Hamilton beat him easily, and Alonso and Hamilton are similar in ability.

• Drop Valencia! said on 10th July 2012, 11:51

Heidfeld, will score very good points/podiums and have no trouble pulling over for Alonso.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 10th July 2012, 11:57

Hamilton was faster than Kovalainen, but you do need to give that a little bit of context. This was Hamilton in a car which he had been driving since the previous year, and had the benefit of thousands of miles of testing under his belt. Not to mention the full support of a team he’d known since he was a kid. Heikki was new to the team, and it’s hard to see how he was ever likely to make a serious challenge under the circumstances. He also suffered a fair bit of misfortune while driving for McLaren, robbing him of some decent finishes. Yes, he failed to impress in any meaningful way, which is why McLaren opted to drop him, but I don’t think he did anything which suggested he didn’t have what it took to be driving at the sharp end. Or that he lacked the potential to do so in the future.

Some drivers come into F1 and are immediately fast, while others take a few years to really settle and get into the groove. Heikki has done a great job since he’s been able to drive anonymously at the back, and of all the drivers at the back of the midfield, he’s the one who impresses the most with his cool approach and his lack of mistakes.

We have no way to know just what his potential is now he’s matured and got some more experience, but I think he’s done everything he possibly could have done to earn himself another shot at the ‘big time’.

The real question is what exactly would a driver stand to gain by going to Ferrari next year. We know that at the moment you’d need to look at that as being a one year contract which is almost certainly not going to be extended, regardless of personal performance. We also know that anyone going there is going to have to adapt to the Ferrari way of doing things very quickly, which may be a very different culture from what they’re used to. They’ll also be going up against one of the most formidable drivers to sit in an F1 car in the past 20 years, in a car which is designed around his personal requirements. Under those circumstances, what would be to gain for anyone from the top end of the grid? It’s only a good seat for someone who feels that their performance is not being highlighted by the car they’re in at the moment. it’s not a long term career prospect so the likes of Di Resta are unlikely to be interested, especially while they’re already being mentioned in relation to other good seats in F1.

No, the Ferrari seat is only attractive to someone who wants to use it as a springboard into a top team. For me, Kovalainen, and maybe Glock, are the two most likely candidates.

• Girts (@girts) said on 10th July 2012, 13:40

@mazdachris As a hardcore Kovalainen fan, I couldn’t put it better myself. Thank you!

The only thing I’m afraid of is that Heikki, if Ferrari really offered a seat to him and if he accepted the proposal, might step on the same rake as in 2008 by joining a team that already has its own king.

• vinicius.jlantunes (@vinicius-jlantunes) said on 10th July 2012, 14:27

after three years of moving out of the way (good experience for Alonso though)

I laughed!

4. tkcom (@tkcom) said on 10th July 2012, 11:39

Another year of Webber means another year of WCC. Brilliant move by Red Bull. Ferrari didn’t do enough to poach great #2 driver, and we won’t be seeing them win WCC for a long time.

5. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 10th July 2012, 11:54

Happy for Mark, but the 2013 silly season just got disappointingly sensible.

6. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 10th July 2012, 14:09

Good! I’m glad he’s staying. Let’s hope he can continue fighting for the championship this year! One of the best wheel to wheel racers out there (if not the best) and still one of my favourite sportsmen, let alone driver.

7. dkpioe said on 10th July 2012, 14:18

GREAT decision by Webber to stay, gives him 2 seasons at a shot at the title. if he went to ferrari, who knows how the rest of this year would play out, if he had the motivation to win for redbull again, or if the team chose to support Vettel more. and next year redbull will surely be up there again, going to ferrari is risky because of ferraris form last few years, and because of the Alonso factor. Im also happy for him, as he was very fast in his first years in f1, remember the brilliant qualifying performances and speed at drivers circuits like monaco, and it took him many years to have a race winning car, and it is good to see he has bounced back from the drubbing he got from Vettel last year, if he wins the title this year, it would be an amazing turnaround in one season.

8. Vanja said on 10th July 2012, 15:19

I seriously don’t know why do you people keep talking that bad about Massa and his staying at Ferrari. Ferrari don’t have the car and when they finally got the car working Massa is up there. Massa had the worst luck of all since 2010, sure he mad some mistakes and is not as good as Alonso, but is a great driver. And given that Ferrari finally made their rubish red pick up into a F1 car Massa will surely do well.

Not all of the driver can get from P11 on P2, especially when they have Hazard on the road named Maldonado, Kobayashi……..

9. raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 10th July 2012, 15:40

I was disappointed to hear this. I had hoped for Webber to go Ferrari, though I never thought it would happen. Would’ve given us a barometer against which to compare Vettel and Alonso.

10. Eddie (@wackyracer) said on 10th July 2012, 16:08

Mercedes with Hamilton and Rosberg, best combination :-D

11. SD (@sd) said on 10th July 2012, 17:38

I hate it when people talk about Schumacher’s Merc seat going to someone else in 2013 as if they know exactly whats going on in the driver market.

12. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 10th July 2012, 19:38

Well since this new deal has fired up speculation on the 2013 driver line up I can see what happens from now on: Nothing.
    Webber is staying at Red Bull, Massa (provided he gets on the podium at least once and has a string of 4th or 5th places) will stay, Hamilton will stay as he’s got nowhere better to go, Schumacher will stay after his best season since returning and Lotus will keep both their drivers.

See y’all this time next year!

13. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 10th July 2012, 20:12

Good news. I don’t think any driver should really be looking elsewhere at the top flight right now, they’re all pretty competitive within a few tenths of each other every other weekend. He may as well stay put.

14. Txizzle (@txizzle) said on 10th July 2012, 21:28

I am hardly sure of what it going to happen, but I do have some hopes and expectations.

Hopes: Schumacher continues, (highly) preferably at a good team (Mercedes or higher, preferably higher).

Expectations: Ferrari won’t keep Massa. I have never seen a top-team consistently retain such an underachiever.
    It was somewhat expect-able that he would stay for 2012, because none of the ‘big guys’ were available for this year. Yet many contracts are ending after this season. Personally I would like to see a driver like Perez make the move to Ferrari. To some degree I would not even be surprised if Massa isn’t even in F1 next year, although one of the ‘little guys’ might pick him up. Regardless, it’s clear he is no longer the driver he was.

I wouldn’t have minded if Mark had gone to Ferrari, i’d be curious to see how much a challenge he can give Fernando with equal material. Any way, I do hope he outperforms Seb this year.

All in all, I don’t see Hamilton moving, and if he would, I’d aspect it to be a move to Mercedes.

15. MWW said on 10th July 2012, 23:36

Much as I enjoy all this speculation it is just that. None of us have any real idea what will happen and much of what is written here is is I’ll informed and badly written guesswork.