Singapore agrees new five-year F1 race deal

2013 F1 calendar

Jenson Button, Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Singapore, 2011The Singapore Grand Prix is set to remain on the F1 calendar after Bernie Ecclestone and the race promoters agreed terms for a contract extension.

Ecclestone told the Singaporean newspaper Today the government will announce the deal shortly.

The F1 boss said: “Everything that was in the way of the Singapore Grand Prix continuing for another five years has been cleared.

“I’m happy that this is out of the way because Singapore has been good to F1 and the night race has also been equally good for Singapore.”

The Singapore Grand Prix was added to the F1 calendar in 2008. The new deal will see the street race remain on the calendar for a further five years beyond the end of this season.

Update: Singapore have denied a deal has been reached.

2013 F1 calendar

Browse all 2013 F1 calendar articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

70 comments on Singapore agrees new five-year F1 race deal

1. Good. I adore this track. It’s one of my favourites. It’s bumpy, it makes a load of sparks, it’s tricky, it’s got close walls and it’s different from most tracks. I wouldn’t want the lap shortened as I love all of it. I’d want a shorter race though. I don’t care if it doesn’t promote overtaking; it’s something different and we need a variety of tracks. I get so excited just watching the onboards from this track just like I do with Monaco and Hungary.

• Slr (@slr) said on 11th July 2012, 15:24

I’d want a shorter race though.

I wouldn’t. The fact that Singapore is a two hour race adds to the challenge for the drivers.

• sumedh said on 12th July 2012, 12:17

I’d want a shorter race though

No. I like to see drivers pushed for all of two hours. It makes Singapore unique as it is the longest race (in terms of time) on the calendar.

2. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 11th July 2012, 15:07

SO now that street races are “fashionable” , can I dream of having one in the big avenues of Lima, Peru? There are plenty of 90º corners, like Singapore. I’m sure that with a couple of F1F people we can create a design much nicer than the Singapore GP!!!

3. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 11th July 2012, 15:31

I like Singapore. The long race makes it a unique challenge, as does the fact it’s under lights the whole time. Hopefully they’ll do something about the track — it’s too slow and cumbersome — but it’s not bad and the drivers are at least punished for many mistakes with a trip into the wall.

4. Palle (@palle) said on 11th July 2012, 18:59

I never really liked Singapore – a modern sort of artificial way of a street circuit, no charm and no overtaking unless KERS and DRS. This circuit is only a little more interesting than Bahrain and a parr with Valencia. Before KERS and DRS Singapore had properties which made it possible for Briatore and Alonso to cheat and win by convincing Piquet Jr to make an accident in a specific corner right after Alonso had pitted way to early for a normal Singapore strategy. I found it very suspicious, but FIA didn’t see the obvious before Piquet told the story. All in all the tracks strange processional character is only acceptable because of KERS and DRS, which in my opinion are artificial add-ons to the sport. The best moment from Singapore was when someone ripped the fuel-hose and Kimi’s car got engulfed in flames. The Ice-man hesitated a short moment, before the fire cleared away and he continued out of the pits. I would have loved it even more, had he just carried on unimpressed, disregarding the fire;-)

5. manatcna (@manatcna) said on 11th July 2012, 21:58

There’s only one thing worse than a street circuit, and that’s a street circuit under artificial lighting.