Mercedes waiting for Schumacher decision

F1 Fanatic round-up

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, Silverstone, 2012In the round-up: Ross Brawn says Mercedes won’t look for another driver until they know what Michael Schumacher’s plans are.

Race commentary debut

This weekend I’m going to be doing live television commentary on motor racing for the first time.

I’ll be covering International GT Open and European F3 Open alongside regular lead commentator Ben Evans.

The whole thing will be broadcast live online so if you want to you can watch along on Saturday and Sunday. See here for details of when and where it’s on:

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Brawn confident Schumacher will stay (Sporting Life)

“We are focused on Michael for as long as it takes, and whatever it takes. Then we will see where we are elsewhere.”

Red Bull: No fears over team harmony (Autosport)

Christian Horner: “There is a genuine respect between the two of them. Sebastian [Vettel] has achieved so much in such a short space of time, but he knows in Mark [Webber] that he has got a very genuine competitor. And Mark knows that Sebastian is the benchmark, or has been the benchmark for the last few years.”

Andre Simon (Joe Saward)

“Andre Simon has died at the age of 92. The Frenchman was one of the mainstays of the Gordini team in the 1950s, but also drove for Mercedes-Benz.”

Silverstone: Flushing away goodwill (GrandPrix)

“The most unacceptable bit was the toilets. There were just five Portaloos. You tried not to use them but, eventually, you had no choice. They were disgusting and, as far as I could see, they weren’t cleaned over the weekend. No effort had been made to place them on a hard-standing area. And there were no washing facilities at all. The whole thing had to be a health hazard. I won’t begin to describe what it was like – except to say it was an affront to everyone’s dignity.”

F1 diary: British Grand Prix (The Telegraph)

“I leave hoping the day’s events won’t expose Silverstone to too brutal a backlash. The circuit management can’t be blamed for the weather ?ǣ and it’s not the only sporting venue affected: quite a few horse race meetings have been culled and Wimbledon only escapes because centre court has a retractable lid.”

The Bulls vs the Prancing Horses (ESPN)

Karun Chandhok: “You really get the feeling that nine races in, Lotus should have had at least a couple of wins under their belt, with a car that clearly has very good pace on a variety of circuits.”

Games remind F1 great Stewart of rare failure (Reuters)

“When triple Formula One world champion Jackie Stewart thinks of the Olympics, it brings back memories of the biggest disappointment of an otherwise glorious sporting career.”

From lapper to rapper for Lewis Hamilton (The Sun)

“F1 ace seals recording deal on night out with US star J Cole.”

Comment of the day

Sinnr says F1′s popularity won’t improve in America until it has better television coverage:

We also need better TV coverage. We are bombarded by endless commercials and idiotic comments sometimes. I watch on line and record the coverage here. It?s amazing how much we miss because of so many interruptions. Also the coverage on Fox is pre-recorded. [...]

I will be going to Austin come November. There are more fans of Formula 1 here than it’s made out to be. I was at the last race at Indianapolis and I met fans that, like me, drove all the way from Atlanta and Miami. There is an F1 following here, real die-hard fans, who get no respect.
Sinnr

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Pawelf1, Robert, Voaridase and HoolyF1!

On this day in F1

Jacques Villeneuve won the British Grand Prix today in 1997.

ITV had taken over the F1 broadcasts in the UK that year and for their home race they introduced an innovation: Martin Brundle’s first grid walk:

Image ?? Mercedes/Hoch Zwei

72 comments on Mercedes waiting for Schumacher decision

1. vickyy (@vickyy) said on 13th July 2012, 5:24

Congratulations and all the best Keith!

2. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 13th July 2012, 6:14

Interesting to note that Brundle has had more F1 races as a commentator than as a driver. His first grid walk was actually pretty good; shame they haven’t improved much over the years (mind you, the grid looked a lot more quiet in 1997). I didn’t see Sky’s grid walk last Sunday, but Coulthard’s grid walk for the BBC was not very good.

• Chalky (@chalky) said on 13th July 2012, 8:29

@adrianmorse After watching that clip that was what I was thinking too. What a quiet grid walk. So quiet that drivers still drove through most of the grid.
      After the clip finished I bounced around YouTube and came across the Belgium GP for 1992. No grid walk, but an even quieter grid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMGy8lvV91I
      and without Keith’s web site around we had to rely on Murray Walker giving us all the latest news and rumours before a GP. Memory lane…..

• snowman (@snowman) said on 13th July 2012, 9:08

Coulthard’s grid walk was really bad after the other ones he done where pretty good from what I remember. I don’t think it’s just his own fault, It’s probably a team thing to know and tell him in his earpiece who and where to look out for people if no drivers are about.

What I thought was really a disaster was the Eddie interview with Hugh Grant. Wish Eddie would get it into his head F1 fans don’t care what whatever famous person he is talking to is doing with their life. Just ask them who they are supporting and move on.

I think the Hugh Grant interview was the most boring I ever seen in F1 and that’s saying something with the BBC’s fascination of talking to Di Resta all the time although at least it seems Paul is beginning to finally loosen up a bit.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th July 2012, 9:58

@snowman I saw Sky also interviewed Hugh Grant.

zzz…

• Aled Davies (@aledinho) said on 13th July 2012, 13:54

I Watched the race on sky and was delighted when they interviewed Hugh Grant. I pay a monthly subscription to Sky of over £60 month so I can watch the channels that interest me (Sports being a big part of that) but what I really wanted to know when I tuned into the F1 coverage on Sunday was what Hugh Grant was doing with himself at the moment. It’s hard to find coverage of every time a celebrity walks their dog/mows the lawn in the UK.

Thanks Sky

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 13th July 2012, 10:11

That’s dead on @snowman, I quite like DC’s laid-back style but he was winging it a little too much there. The only person he managed to find was his own colleague…I hope it was just a one-off breakdown in communication or they picked the wrong moment to start. Martin Brundle seemed better prepared, even in that very first grid walk.

Wish they’d use Lee McKenzie and Gary Anderson more instead of Eddie. He’s ok playing drums – at least you can’t hear him talking.

Shouldn’t complain though, other countries have got it much worse, looking at all these comments. And a new era of TV commentary is about to begin! Congratulations Keith, will try and catch some of your races this weekend.

3. q85 said on 13th July 2012, 7:15

Sky Sports had done grid walks with the WSBK from the early to mid 90s.

4. JCost (@jcost) said on 13th July 2012, 7:20

@keithcollantine Congrats. I have Setanta Africa, I’ll try wacth it. I don’t know wheter or not fellow Angolan driver Luis Sá Silva (Angola Racing Team) will be there, if so keep an eye on him :)

5. leotef (@leotef) said on 13th July 2012, 7:30

Just a personal thought on MSC: Might it not a good idea of giving chances to new and young drivers? A lot of decorations can be put on his continuation as F1 driver but putting them aside, it only seems to me that he is just one greedy man. A wise man always knows when to leave at his heyday. No? Then follows disgrace undermining he has done so far even though it’s dubious to some.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th July 2012, 8:23

@leotef

Good thinking. Hey, you know what? At the end of the year, Sebastian Vettel will have had three years in a car that is capable of winning the World Championship. Maybe it’s time he moved to a team like HRT so that someone else can have a go at trying to win the World Championship.

Mercedes are under no obligation to “give a chance to new and young drivers”. Like any other team, they have to take the two drivers that they feel are best for their team. So long as they feel that Michael Schumacher is one of the two best drivers available to them, he will continue to race for them.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 13th July 2012, 14:31

+1. If he’s performing well, feels good about it and Mercedes still wants him there’s no point in pulling the age card. He’s not driving worse than young Roseberg IMHO.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 13th July 2012, 15:55

With many people being used to video games, and how you can always have a try at “something different” its logical we get that sort of suggestions meant for real. But sure enough it does not fit with a real sport NOT to try and have the best car, best team and the best driver together!

• Kimi4WDC said on 13th July 2012, 8:54

If he still having fun, there is no point for him to leave. He didn’t loose any speed, he did loose a dominant car and reliability not that great this season, but he is still one of the most capable on the grid so good on him!

ps. not a fan

• coefficient (@coefficient) said on 13th July 2012, 9:07

I think its fascinating watching Schumacher claw his way back up the order. I’d love to see Mercedes throw everything behind Michael to see if he can bring home the bacon for all us old codgers and show the world we still have something to offer at any level!

• snowman (@snowman) said on 13th July 2012, 9:14

I agree @leotef

You should look at this Kelly Slater: Greatest Athlete of All Time?

They are all greedy, it shouldn’t be the greatest but the greediest. They should have all quit after 1 world title.

6. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 13th July 2012, 8:14

Congratulations on the commentary gig, good luck!

7. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 13th July 2012, 10:43

Good luck, Keith!

8. alexf1man (@alexf1man) said on 13th July 2012, 13:33

I’ve just read that Spa has a three year deal “in principle” :-)

9. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 13th July 2012, 13:42

So Hamilton is involving himself in the music industry? This souds (excuse the pun) like it could be hilarious. He looks fairly wasted on those pics from The Sun article :D

As far as I’m concerned Schumacher should be treated like any other driver on the grid. Yes, he’s not getting any younger, but he’s certainly not getting any worse. He’s had terrible luck this year but still managed to deliver when he’s had the opportunity.

Lotus really ought to bag a victory and soon. They have a fantastic car, definitely in the top 3 at the moment. It seems thie ractual race execution leaves a lot to be desired unfortunately which is frustrating because both drivers are more than capable of winning a race. Grosjean is a rookie but he’s taken to F1 (for the second time) like a duck to water.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 13th July 2012, 15:38

Going for the tabloid side of the story he is so wasted in that picture I`m surprise he can walk.

I`m in no position to judge what is good or bad for a professional sportman, but hearing how Bradley Wiggins didn`t even go to his son birthday party and haven`t have a drink in a year is leave a lot to say about his preparation…

10. jimscreechy (@) said on 13th July 2012, 15:10

Schumacher really needs to hang up his gloves now. Even given the unfortunate mishaps of the season he’s been fairly securely trumped by Rosberg who is admittedly a very good driver, but not what I would call a ‘great’ F1 talent.

Pushing mid-forties his results are only going to get worse not better! The margins of response time, stamina and muscular precision that were with him in youth are dropping but the tiny but essential percntages that distinguish the young from the aging and merely good from the exceptional. He can harp on as much as he wants about desire, passion and commitment, but all that doesn’t amount to a hill of beans when your not scoring points because you no longer have what it takes… and please note, I am not saying he never did, seven world championships is no small feat, its just that age does more cruel things to the body than it does to the mind… or at least certainly it does them faster. I remember my grandpa at 80 saying he felt like a young man trapped in an old mans body, but he wasn’t so stupid to believe just becuase he felt that way he could challenge me in a head to head on the tennis court. The sooner Schumi realises his day has passed the better. Ross Brawn and Norbert Haug need to stop feeding his deluded ego (and their own romatic nostalgic memories) and tell it to him straight.

• Mayank (@mjf1fan) said on 13th July 2012, 20:08

@jimscreechy.
      IMO, if MS dint had all his misfortunes this season ; NR wouldnt have trumped MS this season. Probably MS would have been third or fourth in current’s driver standing and with 11 races left in this season , who knows MS would have got his 8th title. He has not lost all of his skills and this even SV recognize . No one is feeding his deluded ego , it is his passion , his commitment towards the sport which is giving him strength to continue despite being 43. If Merc want to win a WDC, they need Schumi and not Rosberg . Rosberg cant give those vital inputs which are required to move a middle pack running car to a front running car .

• Mayank (@mjf1fan) said on 13th July 2012, 20:21

a fact people dont see

last 2 races have been trouble free for MS and look how many points MS scored in comparison to NR . MS just needs a reliable car and he will deliver you championship . Just like his early days at ferrari , a team which was going no where when he arrived and then won consecutively from 2000 – 2004 . Mercedes will win if they give MS some time and also reliable car .