Polls show fans more concerned about DRS than tyres

Debates and polls

Soft and super-soft Pirelli tyres at the Canadian Grand PrixThe new tyre compounds being used to inject more life into F1 racing have been a source of considerable debate.

Michael Schumacher provoked discussion about the tyres when he described Pirelli’s product as being “like driving on raw eggs” in the build-up to the Spanish Grand Prix.

However others have defended the aggressive compounds, which teams urged Pirelli to introduce when they returned to the sport in 2011.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: “If Pirelli make tyres which give drivers and teams a real challenge and add to the spectacle the driver, understandably if he?s had a bad race, will complain about them.

“But on the other hand if they make tyres that are very robust, not challenging in terms of management from either the team or the drivers? perspective, then I?m sure that the spectators will be critical of those tyres because they haven?t created the right spectacle.”

An F1 Fanatic poll of 750 readers revealed little appetite for major change in the current tyres. Over three-quarters of readers preferred to keep the current tyres or make them slightly more conservative.

Almost half of all who responded preferred to leave the tyres as they are while less than 10% wanted to see a significant change in direction with “much more conservative” tyres.

Pirelli intended to test a harder tyre compound at the British Grand Prix weekend, however the inclement weather made that impossible. They now intend to bring their development hard tyre to Hockenheim next weekend.

DRS debate rumbles on

F1 Fanatic readers seem to have greater reservations about the other innovation introduced to improve the racing in 2011: the Drag Reductions System.

In an earlier poll, just 21% of readers supported the current DRS implementation and a majority indicated they wanted the rules to be changed. There were many further complaints about DRS following the Canadian Grand Prix.

During the most recent FOTA Fans Forum at Williams’ headquarters last week, some fans asked the team principals whether they might consider running races without DRS as a test. Ross Brawn replied “it’s up for the fans to tell us what they want to see”.

With that in mind, we’ll shortly run a new poll looking at which races people would like to see DRS used at.

See the results of the previous tyres and DRS polls here:

Which of 2011’s changes to ‘improve the show’ have worked best? Would you like to see changes in how DRS is used or what tyres are supplied? Have they made F1 too artificial? Have your say in the comments.

Debates and polls

Browse all debates and polls

Image ?? Pirelli/LAT

84 comments on Polls show fans more concerned about DRS than tyres

1. Eggry (@eggry) said on 13th July 2012, 13:29

I believe, once V6 turbo introduced, limited turbo boost will be able to replace DRS.

• GT_Racer said on 13th July 2012, 20:13

Wrong, DRS is currently part of the 2014 regulations.

DRS was supposed to be a stop-gap solution untill 2014, Now its become a more permanent fix.

2. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th July 2012, 14:30

Would you like to see changes in how DRS is used or what tyres are supplied?

I’d like to see qualifying and the race pushed further apart so that they’re almost two disciplines of the same sport.

Right now, qualifying is about single-lap pace. It’s about hitting every apex and braking marker perfectly to get a perfect lap in. On the other hand, the race is about you and twenty-three other drivers jostling for position, managing fuel loads and tyre wear over the course of 305km.

So maybe the rules could be changed for qualifying. Keep the unlimited use of DRS, but allow the unlimited use of KERS as well. Bring back super-sticky qualifying tyres – but only allow one or two sets, and amend the rules so that once the qualifying tyres go on, the team cannot change onto any other compound for the rest of the qualifying period. And maybe even allow the use of extreme engine maps (or at least engine maps within guidelines set by the FIA). Make it all about getting the fastest possible lap, and when it comes time to race, force the teams to revery back to their current racing settings.

I believe the effect of this will be two-fold. For one, it would create more of a spectacle as we see drivers pushing for the ultimate lap. And with maximum pressure, we could see some interesting grids as drivers make mistakes. Secondly, it would effectly remove the concept of a qualifying car. One of the major reasons why Vettel was able to dominate last yaer was because the Red Bull RB7 was a phenomenal qualifying car. All he had to do was put it on pole, and then produce a few flying laps at the start of the race, and he was untouchable. But by pushing the concept of a qualifying car to the extreme and then restructing the use of DRS, KERS, tyres and throttle maps for the race, teams won’t be able to play up this aspect anymore.

3. chaostheory said on 13th July 2012, 15:10

Tyres are more fake than DRS, because everybody knows DRS is fake and it even doesnt try to not be fake, while tires do. We also know that in 21st century it is possible to make tyres that last whole race, but Pirellis compounds were made on purpose not to last whole race. So, its not about technology race, no one looks for more grip, more durability, but to “improve the show”.
    Both being artificial, tyres have more impact on the racing and end results, than DRS.

4. Steve_LWA said on 13th July 2012, 16:26

Something I don’t get about DRS is why people within F1 seem so keen to do nothing but defend it regardless of how it works.
    One example is Martin Brundle, He asked a question on Twitter post Silverstone about what fans throught of DRS. Reading through the replies I counted about 85% were against DRS yet at the end of the Sky post race Brundle said the vast majority of replies to his question were fans who loved DRS, A clear lie.

Also the Pre-DRS view that races would be boring without DRS is flat out ridiculous because DRS has not produced a single bit of excitement. Every DRS related pass has been boring, easy, unexciting & soul-less.

5. MattD said on 13th July 2012, 18:09

DRS is like playing a game of basketball with hoops that can change in size. The hoop of the team that’s behind in the score expands so it’s easier for them to catch up, regardless of whether their play improves. Yes, it keeps the final outcomes closer but there’s nothing remotely sporting about it. You wouldn’t accept in basketball and I have no idea why you might accept it in F1.

• James (@spirals) said on 13th July 2012, 19:42

However, in basketball there is no disadvantage to being behind (except a possible psychological effect if a drubbing is occurring), whereas in F1, the car behind is handicapped. Using your analogy, the hoop of the car behind shrinks and it is harder to catch up, whereas DRS attempts to even up the hoops so that the cars are on even terms.

I think it’s important to remember that DRS doesn’t just occasionally let people get an easy overtake, it also ensures that they are able to stay close enough to the car in front to have a go. I suspect that without DRS, a fair amount of the current overtaking opportunities wouldn’t exist in the first place. However, I’d like to test the theory by dispensing with DRS for a race, though I wouldn’t like to be the venue that’s paid up their $35million for an experiment on how much more boring the racing is.

• Steve_LWA said on 13th July 2012, 20:08

Your right it only produces boringly easy passing 90% of the time.

6. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 13th July 2012, 21:25

Argh! More chatter about overtaking! Sure it’s important but not THAT important. I voted in favour of current tyres and the DRS regs because IM enjoying F1 at the me moment. Sure, some folks aren’t and you can’t please everyone but we can’t criticise F1 for listening. I’m sure they will adapt if necessary, as they have before.

7. PeteF12012 said on 13th July 2012, 21:50

The sort of passing DRS produces is the sort of passing that should be left to oval racing.

In the past watching one car catch upto another, Especially when its for the lead used to be exciting, watching them fight over that position used to be exciting & seeing the overtake was real exciting.
    Now you start to get excited over one car gaining on another & just as you get into a potential fight DRS produces an easy, dull & boring drive-by highway pass.

Since the Dumb Racing System came in i’ve been more frustrated by the so called racing than excited by it!

8. Chris Bamforth said on 14th July 2012, 3:31

Personal opinion.. scrap DRS and invite a second tyre supplier. Let the tyre manufacturers go at it to their very best. Stipulate rules that keep aero from going mad (And Adrian’s imagination) and get back to the bridgestone/michelin days. This I feel is the best real racing we can hope to get back to. Honestly, nothing would bring a bigger smile to my face to see the greats from Senna’s era banging wheels again but it simply can’t happen with technology and safety advances so I feel that losing competition in the tyre dept was at the time knee jerk and a mistake that we are ultimately trying to fix with fake racing.

I’ve never been a fan of MS, but he’s bang on this time. Let’s see the ‘real’ racers, MS, LH, KR, SV and in a Prost-y kinda way FA go at it to the very limit of their cars and themselves.

Any champion who comes out of luck or being in the right place at the right time doesn’t do it for me.

Passing because tyres are shot and you have a hole in the rear wing isn’t passing, it’s a certainty when it counts. Defence is part of racing, end of albeit not to the extents of MS who does go too far (Being careful what I say here given that my F1 inspiration came from a certain Mr Senna who certainly pushed the boundaries).

Simply message turned in to rant, sorry everyone. Just my rambling thoughts.

9. Girts (@girts) said on 15th July 2012, 20:06

I have never been a fan of the adjustable rear wing but I’ve learned to tolerate the system now and I admit that the racing would have been less exciting in some cases (like the 2012 Spanish and European GPs) if there had been no DRS.

I have realised that the thing I hated most about the DRS was that it clearly favoured the teams that were already fastest anyway in 2011. McLaren, Ferrari and, above all, Red Bull had a decent advantage over their competitors and the DRS only helped them cement that by making overtaking the slower cars easier. That has changed this year.

One of my favourite messages from Catscratch, one of my favourite cartoons, is that sometimes you can stop a mess by creating an even bigger mess. I believe that, in a sense, the DRS problem has been resolved by Pirelli’s crazy 2012 tyres that have given the weaker teams more chances to raise to the very top. Moreover, the blown diffuser ban has made the field more competitive and it looks like FIA has also learned from last year’s mistakes and now sets the DRS zones more appropriately.

What I want to say is that I still am very far from being in love with the DRS but also that my large dislike for it was caused more by the circumstances in which the system had been implemented than the concept itself. As long as we have aggressive tyres, competitive field and unpredictable results, then DRS, when correctly applied, cannot do much harm to our sport; it may even help to save the day on some boring Sundays.

10. Wayney said on 25th March 2013, 13:42

Just seen this while googling to vent my disdain for DRS. Hopefully people still read this. In my opinion DRS turns F1 into something akin to an arcade game. Press ‘boost’ and blast past. Something went very wrong with Formula circa 1994 – I don’t know whether fuel stops being intro’d were too blame, or radical car changes as a result of the San Marino tragedies. All I know is the racing never recovered, overtaking suddenly became too rare and the turbulent air following a car more of a factor then ever.

They need to find a balance. Overtaking should not be easy but not impossible. Pre 1994 it was just right and I loved the fact that tyres could potentially last a whole race as some guys would try it at some tracks. I’m not against pit stops but in the past 10-20 years there are way too many first with fuel stops and now with tyres that go off too quick. They can’t even get qualifying right, I don’t like seeing a grid with mixed up times and all this dropping out after a certain time. Go back to the one hour session with say a limit of 10-12 laps per driver.

I pine for the Senna (the greatest driver there has been)-Mansell-Prost-Berger-Alesi era, the good old days!