Hamilton expects McLaren deal in summer break

F1 Fanatic round-up

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Silverstone, 2012In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton expects to get a new McLaren deal signed in August.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Lewis Hamilton says McLaren contract to be decided during summer break (The Guardian)

“We haven’t sat down and discussed anything yet. But I’m sure over the summer break, when we have the summer break, it would be nice to get something in place.”

Whitmarsh: FIA must be part of F1 deal (Autosport)

“You can have a purely commercial agreement [between the teams and Ecclestone], but if you are competing in the FIA championship then if you don’t have a tripartite agreement it can be inherently confusing.”

BBC saves ??150m in Formula 1 deal with Sky (The Telegraph)

“Chief operating officer of the BBC news group Dominic Coles: ‘It is quite possible the sport may have ended up exclusively on pay TV if we had not successfully negotiated the deal.'”

German Grand Prix Preview (HRT)

“Dani Clos will step into the F112 once more for the first free practice session on Friday and for the third time this season will join Pedro de la Rosa on the track. Narain Karthikeyan, who didn?t take part in last year?s German Grand Prix, will return to the cockpit in FP2.”

Bruno Senna Receives the Lorenzo Bandini Trophy (Williams)

Bruno Senna: “It’s a huge honour to be chosen to receive such a prestigious award. I’ve seen some of the names who have won this in the past and what they have gone on to achieve in their careers, so let’s hope this is just the start of greater things for me too.”

Russia promises ‘top-class’ F1 circuit (ESPN)

Mikhail Kapirulin, director general circuit constructors Omega: “We solved all the problems in projecting the track. We’re building the track in tight co-operation with our colleagues, who are building Olympic venues in Sochi. It makes us confident that we will build a top-class racing track in Sochi. It will be a great track.”

Comment of the day

Thoughts on Maria de Villota’s crash from Chris_H:

You would find trucks and race cars mixed together in the paddock of almost all club racing and a lot of national and international series.

I work for a team which race in a support series for the British F3 and British GT series, and its common place to see race cars driving around the paddock maneuvering around trucks with the tail lifts at all manner of angles and heights. On many occasions I?ve had to thread one of our cars between trucks and team vehicles, with people also walking with little care for the vehicles trying to get through.

Unfortunately motor racing by its nature is unsafe, whether that be at top speed on the track or much slower through the paddock.
Chris_H

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today.

On this day in F1

Ten years ago today Renault team boss Flavio Briatore confirmed the team’s test driver Fernando Alonso would race in 2003.

Alonso drove for the team and quickly delivered on his promise with pole position in the Malaysian Grand Prix and eventually a maiden F1 win in Hungary.

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

104 comments on Hamilton expects McLaren deal in summer break

1. matthewf1 (@) said on 17th July 2012, 10:22

Does anyone think there could be a chance of a Hamilton-Rosberg swap?

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 17th July 2012, 10:31

Not in the slightest. Rosberg is already under contract with Mercedes, and I don’t see any reason why Hamilton would want to go to a team which has shown even less competitiveness than the one he’s already driving for. The only reason for Hamilton to leave McLaren is for a seat in a car he thinks will allow him to win a championship. Currently the only teams other than McLaren I think he’d consider would be Ferrari and Red Bull. Lotus might also be a consideration.

Don’t forget that Mercedes are also umming and arring about their future in the sport, so that is even more reason to steer clear.

I’m sure that Rosberg would be somewhere near the top of McLaren’s shopping list if they did have to replace one of their drivers, but at the moment I’d say the chance of that happening are more or less zero.

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 17th July 2012, 14:24

Does anyone think there could be a chance of a Hamilton-Rosberg swap?

Yes, when pigs fly…or when Maldonado takes responsibility for his actions, whichever happens first. ;-)

2. Bradley Downton (@bradley13) said on 17th July 2012, 10:54

actually, @keithcollantine, it is my birthday today. I did send you a message somewhere, but it might have got lost in translation.. :)

3. Andy (@turbof1) said on 17th July 2012, 13:48

A little bit off topic: I have to say, I was wrong about Massa. He drove a fine race in Silverstone, with the race itself being in normal conditions. Seeing that made me realise I was too quick to judge about him: he still has it. So I believe he’ll stay at Ferrari.

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 17th July 2012, 13:50

I’m glad Hamilton is being vocal about how he sees his relationship with McLaren not Just being the past few years or months. McLaren are always there or there abouts when it comes to being competitive and the only other team that can really say that are Ferrari. I’d like to see him challenged by another team but I think he would do well to stick with McLaren.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 17th July 2012, 14:11

I think when it comes down to it, he’ll probably find he doesn’t have a lot of choice. He’s talented, that’s for sure, and any team would look at his top performances and see the benefit of having that as an element in their team. However, Hamilton is less consistent than some of his rivals, and seems to lack a little bit of maturity and clarity-of-head shown by the likes of Vettel and Alonso.

I think teams probably regard him as being a lot like Raikkonen; very fast, very talented, but potentially quite difficult to work with, with an overinflated sense of self-importance. It’s understandable that he’d have itchy feet, especially with what seemed to be a promising season slowly slipping through his fingers through no fault of his own, but McLaren know him and know how to work with him to extract his best performances. A move for Hamilton to another team could be as ill fated as Alonso’s move to McLaren, or Raikkonen’s move to Ferrari.

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 17th July 2012, 14:32

I think this year Hamilton has been very consistent, the teams performances on the other hand have been up and down like a yoyo. It’s not his fault that he’s 4th in the drivers championship, if McLaren had their house in order from the get go, Hamilton would be the man to catch right now.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 17th July 2012, 14:58

Well yes, that’s his motivation right there. Hamilton isn’t here to make up the numbers, he’s here to win, and now he’s seeing year after year of his career squandered driving around in cars which aren’t up to the standard which his talent arguably deserves.

He had an awful year last year, showing all his negative traits. He did a lot of damage to his reputation with his conduct last year, and I think looking at how his performances have panned out through his time in F1, he has maybe failed to show the level of improvement which would be expected of a driver with his experience. He had raw speed and talent when he arrived, but as an F1 rookie he understandably made mistakes. Last year, not only did he still make mistakes which would earn a rookie a severe telling off, he also seemed to have lost the ability to tap that level of performance which made him so noteworthy when he first arrived in F1. Of course, this year he’s shown something of his old speed, and cut out some of those mistakes. However, I wouldn’t be basing my decision to employ him solely on his performance last year, any more than I’d be convinced that Massa had put his problems behind him based on his performance in the last four races.

Hamilton is still very slightly damaged goods, and he does himself no favours with the way he conducts himself in the media. It gives the impression of a petulant, spoilt racing driver who would be difficult to work with and would be quick to criticise when he didn’t feel things were going his way. Not to mention the fact that he, just as Raikkonen in the days of old, has a belief that he has a talent beyond that of all the other drivers on the grid, and deserves a salary to match.

Don’t get me wrong, Hamilton is good. Very good. But he’s hurt his reputation with the way things have gone for him, and it’ll take a little bit more than half a season to convince people that he’s really turned it all around. Compare that to the performance and the conduct of Alonso in his time at Ferrari, where he has been almost faultless, both in terms of his ability to extract the most out of the car, and also in the way he’s conducted himself in the team and with the media. Alonso is a driver that everyone seems to want to get behind, whereas right now I think Hamilton just gets people’s back up.

5. Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 17th July 2012, 14:08

It’s crucial that you get the mixture right when covering a Formula 1 race weekend, as you have to appeal to the hardcore enthusiasts whilst minding not to alienate the new comer. I think that over the past few years the BBC hit the right balance, Sky on the other hand needs some tweaking as their F1 coverage does look a little haphazard from time to time, they seem to lack the chemistry that EJ, DC and Jake have. Not to mention their pointless, uninformative post race analysis with Georgie Thompson and Anthony Davidson (prior to his unfortunate accident).

BTW is it me, or is Hamilton absent from the BBC F1 opening title sequence?

6. Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 17th July 2012, 15:12

McLaren should get rid of Jenson and bring in di Resta. Paul would cost less than Jenson whilst still delivering the same race results, plus the money that they save on di Resta’s salary could be used to entice Hamilton to stay. As for Jenson, he could go race IndyCars…or whatever. :-)

• bag0 (@bag0) said on 17th July 2012, 17:11

@tmcs88
      I’m not sure why you say that, but my guess is becouse of Buttons latest performances. Last year Hamilton had a slump too, but I dont remember anyone saying he should be sacked. I think Mclaren has a very good lineup, but last years pirellis favoured Jenson, this years tyres and car favour Lewis to some extent.

The tyres and Mclaren cars have a small operating window, and their intersection is even smaller. Banning the BDs led to the MP4-27’s very low rideheight for more downforce, leading to stiffer suspension, leading to less weight shifting under braking, generating less heat in the front tyres, causing some of Buttons Qualy problems (‘I had no front grip’), which were leading to bad starting positions. Making his life even harder, this year the front tyre tempreatures drop dramatically if you are in the wake of another car.
      On the other hand Hamilton is, and always was harder on his tyres, so the same reasons causing Buttons problems, are giving Hamilton a bit more advantage in qualifying, leading to even better grid positions, leading to less car in front, giving him better chances to maintain his tyres in the right window, thus going faster, and taking better care of his tyres.

This is just my theory, not a fact, but I think it makes sense. But back to your point, I dont think anyone should write off any driver because of one year struggle. What would have happened if RB sacked Webber last year, or Mercedes sacked Schumacher, or Sauber sacked Perez, becuse of the first half of the season?

• sonia luff (@sonia54) said on 17th July 2012, 19:47

I don’t remember seeing anyone saying get rid of Hamilton cos he was crap last year so why is everyone getting on Jensons back. Lewis hasn’t exactly blown the field away in his 5years in the sport has he,and before people start saying that he hasn’t had the car, some of the Mclaren people said that he has NEVER driven a bad car, the likes of HRT,Caterham etc

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 17th July 2012, 19:53

@bag0

but I dont remember anyone saying he should be sacked.

If my memory serves me right, I recall both the rat and EJ recommending Hamilton take a Year out of F1 to ‘clear his head’.

Last year Hamilton had a slump too

Hamilton’s slump last year, had nothing to do with the Pirelli tires, it was his over eagerness to progress through the field, which resulted in him making hasty (and sometimes needless) manoeuvres that more times than not resulted in him having to explain his actions to the stewards. Jenson’s dip in form is to some extent inexplicable, everyone has a theory as to the cause of his woes, you’re not the first and certainly won’t be the last F1F to come up with a convenient excuse *cough* I mean explanation for his lack lustre performances.

@sonia54

some of the Mclaren people said that he has NEVER driven a bad car

Yes your absolutely right, the 2009 MP4-24 was just awesome, best car on the grid.

7. Mike the bike Schumacher (@mike-the-bike-schumacher) said on 17th July 2012, 18:14

BBC saves £150m in Formula 1 deal with Sky (The Telegraph)

I find this quite appalling. The fact that it is even possible to save this much money is ridiculous. Yes we should blame Bernie and co. for the high licence fees, but if the bbc were spending so much on F1, and have now made this huge saving then why do they continue to have such silly build up features, such as the special flights that DC, Eddie and Jake got at silverstone. Surely some savings could be made by reducing these types of expenses and they might be able to broadcast one or two more races. I am also annoyed by the comment in the article that deal mainly effects only hardcore fans who watch the whole race, basically just dismissing hardcore fans! So people who really care about F1 (hardcore fans) don’t matter? And just like they said only hardcore fans watch the whole race, ie. the whole program including build up. I’m a hardcore fan and I don’t care if the crew walk instead of sitting on the wing of an airplane, so why waste the money bbc? The reason i watch F1 on the BBC is because Eddie, DC and Jake have personalities, knowledge, experience, and contrasting opinions. The only thing missing is Brundle. The less said about Sky’s coverage the better.

8. Supremo said on 17th July 2012, 18:49

The thing is this second part of this F1 season will have races that do not benefit Red Bull cars (Monza , Spa)

Also if in 2 of the last 10 races will rain , this adds even more gamble so my prediction is that the champion will be decided in the last race.

It will be very hard for Red Bull to win the Drivers Championship with Kimi , Lewis and Schumacher mixing with their plans to chase Alonso for the championship.

——————————

If Alonso finishes in top 3 in Germany the battle will go up in to the last race.