London Olympic circuit under official consideration

F1 Fanatic round-up

London Olympics 2012 F1 track map proposalIn the round-up: London’s Olympic legacy committee considers a proposal for the site to be used as a venue for an F1 race.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

London 2012: Olympic Stadium could become a Formula One circuit (The Guardian)

“Plans for a Formula One circuit in and around the Olympic Stadium are officially now under consideration. The scheme is one of four being reviewed by the London Legacy Development Corporation, who are charged with the task of finding a suitable use for the showpiece venue of the forthcoming Games.”

2012 London Olympic Precinct – Original Street Circuit Concept by iEDM (Vimeo)

Vettel: Red Bull too good for Ferrari to tempt me (The Telegraph)

“I’m flattered, but there has been no signal from me, I’ve not signed anything, nor agreed anything with a handshake. But if you asked the 24 drivers in Formula One if they would like to go to Ferrari in their career, all 24 would say ‘yeah’, and it is the same with me.”

Pirelli says teams to decide on hard tyre (Autosport)

“We feel that it would be unfair to suddenly alter one of the fundamental parameters that the teams have made a lot of effort to understand and get the most out of.”

Andrea Stella: “we have always maintained a positive attitude” (Ferrari)

“The car was good in Valencia, it was also good in Silverstone. And as Hockenheim is a mix of the slow speed of Valencia and high speed of Silverstone, I would expect Ferrari to be competitive in Germany.”

Grand Prix joker tried (The Age)

“A Melbourne court was told yesterday that after leaving the Albert Park track on March 26, Pearce got tired of walking and thought he would motor off in a $10,000 golf buggy.”

The Inside Line – on Mercedes? Nico Rosberg (F1)

“Q: What?s been your most valuable ??life? lesson?
NR: You always meet people twice in life. This has been true several times for me and I picked it up from Frank Williams as he split with BMW some years ago.”

Comment of the day

Jay Menon on Lewis Hamilton’s options for 2013:

I don’t think any driver should complain about his team to the media. Lewis has done this time and again. As driver, is it not one?s responsibility to work through the problems with the engineers and mechanics?

This is where I see stark difference between Lewis and the likes and Vettel and Alonso. I don’t recall either one of them ever complaining about their respective teams, even when faced with strategic or pit stop blunders (Alonso lost the drivers’ championship thanks Ferrari’s tactical clanger!).

And the results are there to be seen, in Ferrari?s case, they have improved by leaps and bounds. The team provides immense support to these drivers because they get the deserved respect and support.

They way I see it, if there is a problem, get on it and fix it. Lewis fancies comparison between his and Senna?s driving style, and in truth, there are similarities. They?re both natural racers and for the lack of a better description, go ‘balls to the wall’.

However, Senna was a deeply involved with the engineers and the mechanics, often staying late into the night with the team as they worked in garage, hence he had the respect and support of the team. I haven’t been privy to Lewis’s daily schedule, but based on his demeanour and conduct, I don’t get the feeling that he has a strong bond with his team and therein lies his downfall.

My personal opinion is that it would be good for Lewis to leave McLaren. I think he needs a new perspective. Obviously as many have said, the choices are limited. If Michael Schumacher relinquishes his seat, perhaps it might be the best place for him. Although Mercedes aren’t consistent just yet, I would watch this space because Ross Brawn is somebody that?s accustomed to winning, I’m sure he will crack the formula sooner or later.
Jay Menon

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to WizardOfOz!

On this day in F1

Niki Lauda won the 1982 British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch ahead of Didier Pironi.

Pironi was briefly involved in an entertaining scrap for second place with Derek Warwick, driving the uncompetitive Toleman.

Warwick eventually retired with a technical problem just after half-distance, but there remained speculation the car had been deliberately under-fuelled in order to put on a competitive showing at home, and wouldn’t have finished anyway.

Here’s Warwick passing Pironi:

107 comments on London Olympic circuit under official consideration

1. nackavich (@nackavich) said on 18th July 2012, 2:55

Seriously “The Age”?!? Smashing their Grand Prix hating agenda already. And with such a useless story!
    I’m sure anything bad that happens in/around to Albert Park is blamed on the Grand Prix.
    I can see another useless headline: “Boy’s remote control yatch sinks in Albert Park Lake: Grand Prix at fault”

• capu80 (@capu80) said on 18th July 2012, 4:25

I live around AP, and you should read the trash the “Save Albert Park Society” puts into the weekly local newsletter… here’s hoping the contract gets renewed for another 20 years

2. Coanda (@ming-mong) said on 18th July 2012, 3:04

oh boy, another pathetic street circuit.

3. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 18th July 2012, 3:26

“They came up with a scheme whereby Formula One would race around the stadium, inside it, outside it”

Thank GOD, the video helped to articulate this vague statement. I was wondering how would 24 cars sound inside a enclosed stadium lol

4. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 18th July 2012, 3:34

Regarding the COTD – I have no doubt that Michael will consider staying back in Mercedes and it is also prudent for Mercedes to make him stay for one more year to make sure that they achieve that remarkable milestone. His experience has helped the team significantly in the past three years although it has not helped Michael to achieve this personal goals yet.

5. tkcom (@tkcom) said on 18th July 2012, 4:03

If only they can run the track through the stadium. Instant grandstand.

6. Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 18th July 2012, 4:21

About the COTD. Senna complained about the team’s performance in 91 and 92. And frankly, we know too little about the drivers schedules to conclude that they aren’t largely envolved with the engeneers to develop the car. The only thing i can’t understand is when the subject is Lewis we hear all these theories about his actions, and generally he is over criticized. I can only imagine what we would be reading if Lewis were performing badly isntead of Jenson. Last year Lewis was crucified even with 3 wins and several podiums (of course he made a bunch of mistakes). Up to this point, Jenson’s perfomance is pathetic and the critcism don’t come near of what Lewis received last year.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 18th July 2012, 4:28

Yeah, Button has done nothing at all since China. I guess the crucifixion happened because Hamilton has significantly higher expectations than Button.

• Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 18th July 2012, 4:48

I agree with that. But if Button is so good as praised last year, shoudn’t the expectations be high for him too? So, why the critcism is not so harsh?
        I would like to understand this difference in treatment.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 18th July 2012, 5:05

What was surprising last year, and that’s why Hamilton was bashed up so strongly too, is that most people already know that Hamilton is quite on a different league compared to Jenson.

JB’s form last year was great, and Hamilton was fast but erratic, and that’s why people criticized him. Because on normal circumstances, he’s the faster driver.

You have to admit none of the guys in the top teams critizise their own teams as much as Hamilton. Webber had a horrid season last year, way too often losing a lot of ground in the starts, and he stayed quiet and said: “we need to solve this with the team”. Hamilton, on the other hand, appears on the radio saying: “what happened at the start? I went no where”.

Compare Hamilton’s actitude with Alonso’s earlier this year, and you can see the difference. Just like Button’s reasonably quiet about his problems too…

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 18th July 2012, 13:31

Well @fer-no65, we did’t always hear what Webber said when last year he had all those KERS issues either, did we, or in 2010 with the team “suggestions for team strategy” he got, apart from the rather telling “not bad for a no.2 driver”. We just hear more from HAM in general I think, perhaps bc. he is more emotional. It’s a bit like those messages of Smedley/Massa, it is hard to imagine every driver has such driver lesson/coaching conversations, but we don’t really know.

Another reason, Alonso IS the team so why complain about them, same for Vettel to a large extent. At McLaren Whitmarsh always makes clear that HAM is just one of two drivers, so maybe this is partly the consequence of having two equals in the team: politics to listen closely to one or the other …

• AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 18th July 2012, 5:26

Senna complained about the team’s performance in 91 and 92.

Not to mention the fact that he didn’t even commit to driving for them in 93, but was on some sort of race-by-race agreement (I don’t remember the details). However, I take the COTD’s point that Hamilton could be more diplomatic about his comments. In my view, it’s not like he’s throwing them under the bus at every corner, and it’s more out of lack of guile that he makes comments that can be interpreted as criticizing his team. Still, as a world champion and the driver who carries much of the nation’s motorsport’s hopes on his shoulders, his comments will always be under the microscope, and he should take care to continue receiving the full support from his team, particularly if he intends to stay with them next year and beyond.

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 18th July 2012, 11:41

In 93 Senna was on a USD1,000,000 race by race contract, extenable at his option. That’s why he was in car 8 and Andretti/Hakkinen shared car 7…the team had no confirmed number 1 driver.

• firstly… i am a hamilton fan…

however, on the comments re: him not having respect of his team, I believe this to be true. I used to run a major bar/restaurant complex in Shanghai which was very popular with all the F1 team staff (mostly mechanics and other team staff, but a few drivers came in now and again).

I had asked the McLaren lads a few times whether they could bring Hamilton in one night, as it would have been good publicity for the place… the reply I got was ‘No chance. Even if we could get him to come out, there is no chance we would spend our free time drinking with him’ (at least, that’s the polite version – the real reply was more, erm, colorful!)

• “In short – they put up with him as being a great racer… but they don’t personally like him. Not one bit.”

Just as well its not a popularity contest then, isnt it.

Hamilton is employed to drive his car as quick as possible, and thats what he does.

If the team are bad mouthing him to people like yourself, who inturn spread that word, then they deserve the public ridiculing they get.

• sumedh said on 18th July 2012, 12:06

Hamilton is employed to drive his car as quick as possible

Not true. Hamilton as a driver is not supposed to just turn up on Sunday, drive fast and go away.
          He is supposed to work with the engineers. Give valuable feedback. Work with the team to get issues resolved. F1 is a ‘team’ sport for this reason!

• JCost (@jcost) said on 18th July 2012, 12:39

I think Lewis is far from being harsh on McLaren, even after pathetic mistakes I remember seeing him saying “we win together, we lose together”!

On Alonso criticizing his team… remember his last title back in 2006. Alonso accused Renault of trying to sabotage his WDC bid because he was moving to McLaren, he did not say docile words towards Ferrari that time around either (‘though it wasn’t his team).

7. necrodethmortem (@necrodethmortem) said on 18th July 2012, 4:33

That London GP track looks suspiciously a lot like a crossover between what @prisoner-monkeys and myself had proposed. He has his flyover, I have the fast curvy part around the stadium.

It’s the best you could do in that location tbh.

8. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 18th July 2012, 5:00

Love the video about the London Olympic circuit.

It says, in this order:

6 kilometers
    20 corners
    4 chicanes

Woooooooow! How’s that a cool stat?

Imagine little kids shouting in excitement: “dad, dad, I want to go to the London Grand Prix this weekend: THEY HAVE 4 CHICANES!”

9. @journeyer Give me break. There’s maybe 3 or 4 drivers on the grid today – that haven’t yet raced for Ferrari – who wouldn’t drop everything to sign with them. And those same 3 or 4 drivers would still like to race for Ferrari someday. That’s no different than how it was 20 or 30 years ago. But try to convince yourself otherwise.

10. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 18th July 2012, 7:05

I can’t understand this fixation with street circuits. Is it because they are cheaper in that most of the infrastructure for the race i.e. the track already exists? The trouble for me is that street circuits more often than not lead to boring races. Although Valencia this year was an exception, it was more to do with the high number of “events” that kept happening within the race.

Even this London track seems totally in-conducive to overtaking. Also during the animation I felt that cars were shown to go much faster around some corners than that could actually be taken. The track did not impress me at all.

11. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 18th July 2012, 7:19

Ah good, this is just what the calendar needs, another characterless street circuit which does nothing to highlight the city streets it apparently runs through. X_X I honestly hope a race in London doesn’t happen simply because I don’t want another one of these boring, long straight/right angled corner/long straight, concrete wall lined, cookie cutter, hateful, characterless street circuits in the calendar.

12. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 18th July 2012, 7:25

I believe this track “proposal” was first floated back in March. I remember posting about it then. In fact, this is a post I made about it on another forum. From what I gather, it was designed by an Australian group who did the Surfers’ Paradise circuit, and they claimed they were doing it just for fun. I can’t find any further connection between them and the group looking to establish a race around the Olympic Park.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 18th July 2012, 18:03

indeed, as far as I understand from various sources, there is no connection apart from both independently bringing up the theme of an F1 race in the olympic facilities

13. Ben Bailey said on 18th July 2012, 7:55

Looks like Valencia…. I thought it was meant to go into the stadium.

14. alexf1man (@alexf1man) said on 18th July 2012, 8:05

So far this year, McLaren has scored 142 points: 92 in the first 4 races and 50 after that. Currently Hamilton has 92 points and Button has 50.

15. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 18th July 2012, 8:26

The LLDC looking into a race in and around the Olympic stadium at least sounds more plausible than a race around the streets of London but i don’t see it happening still. The bid is being considered against two football clubs, one of which is a premier league team and have been for the most part of 20 years. i can’t see a venue being picked to host one F1 event a year when a football team will get much more out of it. It would be massive for F1, though i’m still to see how one country could hold two races.

Good decision from Pirelli. I think that’s the only fair way to do it. It could still ruffl some feathers but at least it would be entertaining ;)