London Olympic circuit under official consideration

F1 Fanatic round-up

London Olympics 2012 F1 track map proposalIn the round-up: London’s Olympic legacy committee considers a proposal for the site to be used as a venue for an F1 race.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

London 2012: Olympic Stadium could become a Formula One circuit (The Guardian)

“Plans for a Formula One circuit in and around the Olympic Stadium are officially now under consideration. The scheme is one of four being reviewed by the London Legacy Development Corporation, who are charged with the task of finding a suitable use for the showpiece venue of the forthcoming Games.”

2012 London Olympic Precinct – Original Street Circuit Concept by iEDM (Vimeo)

Vettel: Red Bull too good for Ferrari to tempt me (The Telegraph)

“I’m flattered, but there has been no signal from me, I’ve not signed anything, nor agreed anything with a handshake. But if you asked the 24 drivers in Formula One if they would like to go to Ferrari in their career, all 24 would say ‘yeah’, and it is the same with me.”

Pirelli says teams to decide on hard tyre (Autosport)

“We feel that it would be unfair to suddenly alter one of the fundamental parameters that the teams have made a lot of effort to understand and get the most out of.”

Andrea Stella: “we have always maintained a positive attitude” (Ferrari)

“The car was good in Valencia, it was also good in Silverstone. And as Hockenheim is a mix of the slow speed of Valencia and high speed of Silverstone, I would expect Ferrari to be competitive in Germany.”

Grand Prix joker tried (The Age)

“A Melbourne court was told yesterday that after leaving the Albert Park track on March 26, Pearce got tired of walking and thought he would motor off in a $10,000 golf buggy.”

The Inside Line – on Mercedes? Nico Rosberg (F1)

“Q: What?s been your most valuable ??life? lesson?
NR: You always meet people twice in life. This has been true several times for me and I picked it up from Frank Williams as he split with BMW some years ago.”

Comment of the day

Jay Menon on Lewis Hamilton’s options for 2013:

I don’t think any driver should complain about his team to the media. Lewis has done this time and again. As driver, is it not one?s responsibility to work through the problems with the engineers and mechanics?

This is where I see stark difference between Lewis and the likes and Vettel and Alonso. I don’t recall either one of them ever complaining about their respective teams, even when faced with strategic or pit stop blunders (Alonso lost the drivers’ championship thanks Ferrari’s tactical clanger!).

And the results are there to be seen, in Ferrari?s case, they have improved by leaps and bounds. The team provides immense support to these drivers because they get the deserved respect and support.

They way I see it, if there is a problem, get on it and fix it. Lewis fancies comparison between his and Senna?s driving style, and in truth, there are similarities. They?re both natural racers and for the lack of a better description, go ‘balls to the wall’.

However, Senna was a deeply involved with the engineers and the mechanics, often staying late into the night with the team as they worked in garage, hence he had the respect and support of the team. I haven’t been privy to Lewis’s daily schedule, but based on his demeanour and conduct, I don’t get the feeling that he has a strong bond with his team and therein lies his downfall.

My personal opinion is that it would be good for Lewis to leave McLaren. I think he needs a new perspective. Obviously as many have said, the choices are limited. If Michael Schumacher relinquishes his seat, perhaps it might be the best place for him. Although Mercedes aren’t consistent just yet, I would watch this space because Ross Brawn is somebody that?s accustomed to winning, I’m sure he will crack the formula sooner or later.
Jay Menon

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to WizardOfOz!

On this day in F1

Niki Lauda won the 1982 British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch ahead of Didier Pironi.

Pironi was briefly involved in an entertaining scrap for second place with Derek Warwick, driving the uncompetitive Toleman.

Warwick eventually retired with a technical problem just after half-distance, but there remained speculation the car had been deliberately under-fuelled in order to put on a competitive showing at home, and wouldn’t have finished anyway.

Here’s Warwick passing Pironi:

107 comments on London Olympic circuit under official consideration

1. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 18th July 2012, 8:30

No, no, no
    Much, much, much
    No, no, no

Hmmmmmm…. If there’s nothing, why the triple denials? Do I hear a rooster crowing?

He says nothing is confirmed. He doesn’t say there was no contact.

2. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 18th July 2012, 8:50

That track looks awful. So I made it better.

3. Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 18th July 2012, 8:53

COTD! Thanks Keith.

4. Prof Kirk (@prof-kirk) said on 18th July 2012, 9:30

I’d rather Paul Ricard than that London Proposal.

• Prof Kirk (@prof-kirk) said on 18th July 2012, 9:35

Come to think of it, I remember watching a GT something series race when I had access to pay tv once, and it was the most incredible track I’d ever seen, it almost seemed like it was on the inside or along the rim of a Volcano or some significant land form. What ever it was, it had the formula for a great race, purpose built and beautiful scenery as opposed to walls after walls **cough**Valencia**cough**

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 18th July 2012, 9:50

The circuit is called Potrero de los Funes, near San Luis in Argentina. It’s in the middle of nowhere, would need serious work before the owners could even think of hosting Formula 1, and is in a country that could be in a recession as early as the end of the year.

And in my opinion, I think it’s one of the most over-rated circuits in the world. I don’t think the layout would be conductive to good racing, and if ever Formula 1 went there and produced a boring race, the fans would decry the way Bernie was more interested in having a circuit that looked good on camera rather than a circuit that produced good racing, despite the way fans have been calling for a race at the circuit for years.

• Sandlefish (@sandlefish) said on 18th July 2012, 9:56

No volcano, though is it Potrero de los Funes by any chance?: http://bandverde.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/potrerodelosfunes.jpg

5. Peter (@oldearl) said on 18th July 2012, 9:31

Wait till Bernie tells them how much they have to pay to have the Olympic Park Grand Prix that will kill it stone dead.

6. Alex Brown (@splittimes) said on 18th July 2012, 11:59

Wanted: CGI programmer for ambitious, blue-sky Grand Prix project in one of the following locations…

Mongolia
    Egypt
    Siberia
    Atlantis
    The Moon

If its flashy enough (use of buzzwords encouraged), some ill-informed profiteers are sure to jump aboard and plunge their dough into this hair-brained money-pit. My vision includes 30 corners (more corners obviously means a better track) and five chicanes (its a funny word; they must be a good thing). Sidenote: actual viability not yet considered.

7. James_mc (@james_mc) said on 19th July 2012, 0:00

Grim. Clearly that video was made by people that know nothing about Formula 1. Advertising that there are 4 chicanes seemingly as a positive thing…!?! Also I notice that they used an apostrophe when they wrote the shortened form of “kilometers”….. Tut tut!

8. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 19th July 2012, 1:18

The track looks more akin to Singapore than Abu Dhabi, or Valencia. When you look at the whole shape of the track, it looks immediately like a Tilke street track. And in some ways, it is – but it’s nice to see some good old fashioned ‘straight- simple corner- straight’ characteristics rather than a concoction of slow chicanes and as @magnificent-geoffrey once put it, long corners with increasing or decreasing radii which only spread the cars out and overstay their welcome. It could go either way, but it’s understandable why this idea is being considered.

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 19th July 2012, 1:21

Some of the alternatives posted on here improve it so much, it has to be said though.

• Joao Pitol (@roman) said on 19th July 2012, 6:27

I think everyone is taking the design to seriously and missing the point.

If you look on the company’s website they say it was only made to show a potential use for the Olympic site after the Olympics have long gone and tax payers are lumped with the huge upkeep costs of the site.

They were never commissioned to make it and never submitted anywhere. It’s obviously not a serious track design, it was made as a tourism and economic benefit concept idea and showcases the entire site.

Why is everyone so negative. The site is designed for 100,000′s of people, has state of the art transport, lots of open space and amazing modern buildings. Boo hoo, it will bring in millions of pounds to London and create jobs.

9. mrjlr93 (@mrjlr93) said on 19th July 2012, 3:23

if they want another street circuit so bad bring it back to Adelaide

10. When you go to the company’s website, it says they did for a bit of fun. I dont think this is something they have done seriously or the track which has been put forward for actual consideration…

11. Anderson Ramos said on 20th July 2012, 13:53

Olá amigos, esse GP de Londres, deveria ser como o 1º video do Santander, teria que passar pelo grandes pontos turisticos da cidade de Londres, se não perderia o charme da corrida. Seria mais uma copia da corrida chata de Valencia.