DRS zone leads to hairpin at Hockenheim

2012 German Grand Prix

The DRS zone for Sunday’s race at the Hockenheimring will be on the straight leading to the Spitzkehre hairpin, turn six on the circuit.

As Hockenheim was not on the calendar last year this will be the first time DRS is used at the circuit.

The detection point for the zone is at the exit of the preceding turn four. Drivers can activate DRS 260m after exiting that corner.

DRS zone, Hockenheimring, 2012

Should DRS be used at every circuit in 2012? Which venues need DRS zones? Have your say here:

2012 German Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 German Grand Prix articles

67 comments on DRS zone leads to hairpin at Hockenheim

1. BasCB (@bascb) said on 19th July 2012, 9:35

I am quite sure, that DRS is really not needed at Hockenheim, last time they raced there we saw an abundance of moves both successfull and not there.

2. vjanik said on 19th July 2012, 9:41

Why are they putting the DRS in a section where there already is plenty of overtaking. Into turn six is the most common overtaking place at Hockenheim. We dont need a DRS activation zone there – this will just turn it into an Turkey-esque easy pass. Why not put it somewhere else on the track so that drivers can have a go twice per lap?

• Mads (@mads) said on 19th July 2012, 10:22

@vjanik
      Because that would actually make sense. But they don’t like that.
      In Canada for one. Loads of passes into the last chicane normally, and to just make every single overtake there easy lets put a DRS there! Because more overtaking is ALWAYS better of cause! Wohooo…
      Here I think it would be better to have the detection just before T1, and then the activation just after.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 19th July 2012, 14:04

and its very long too!

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 19th July 2012, 14:39

It’s so dissapointing. Everytime they go to a place with good-ish overtaking spots, they put the DRS zone at the most obvious and easy place for overtaking moves.

Why, FIA, WHY?!

• John H (@john-h) said on 19th July 2012, 16:04

It does somewhat reinforce the idea that they are a bunch of, well, I’m sure we could come up with something here. All they have to do is read one of these comment threads and perhaps they would realise the error of their ways… alas it hasn’t happened yet.

I have to say I’m not sure what DRS questions came up at the last fans forum, I’m hoping someone asked how the DRS zones are agreed upon.

Me want more more more overtaking!! Give it to me now… I can’t get enough… I want entertainment!! ME NEED A SHOW!!

Phew, for a minute there I lost myself. Sorry.

• xeroxpt (@) said on 19th July 2012, 19:25

Nice graph Keith! Totally agreed if they wanted to put DRS why not use it after the twisty bits where cars struggle to follow for example after 8, 9, 10 or after the stadium section on the main straight, for sure the small straights are far shorter than the usual DRS places but im also sure that we wouldnt lack overtaking on the DRS zone and that it could be much more exciting to watch the cars fight for positon at the main straight, making use of the huge run offs at turn 1.

3. sam3110 (@sam3110) said on 19th July 2012, 9:43

No other straight is long enough.

Always makes me chuckle that they claim to have 17 ‘corners’, in reality its only about 12

• Nick.UK (@) said on 19th July 2012, 12:01

DRS should have been after the hairpin I think. Even though there is a kink before turn 6 the cars would handle it fine and it would make for a more dramatic passing maneuver.

This inevitable news has just killed any hope I had for a decent race. How is anyone meant to defend a pass down into the hairpin, especially when the activation is so early!

4. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 19th July 2012, 9:50

Yeah, I don’t think they’ve thought this through.

I’d have put it on the run to Turn 2, myself.

• Jay_au (@jay) said on 19th July 2012, 10:12

Not familiar enough with the track, but how does the run to turn 2 compare with the straights in Melbourne & Monaco and what’s the run-off like there?

Just based on the map I agree, the 234 complex looks like the perfect combination to follow a short DRS zone.

• Enigma (@enigma) said on 19th July 2012, 11:57

Completely agreed. Unlikely there’d be much overtaking into turn 2, but it would indeed bring the drivers closer together and allow some more fights into the hairpin. Looks set to be one of the worst DRS placements we’ve had…

• Estesark (@estesark) said on 19th July 2012, 17:18

I would have gone for between turns 1 and 2 as well. The DRS detection point could have been the start/finish line, to make it clear to everyone with access to a timing screen when a trailing car is within range.

5. Slr (@slr) said on 19th July 2012, 10:07

My god are they stupid. How about the start/finish straight or the run down to turn 2

6. mbrio (@mbrio) said on 19th July 2012, 10:20

Why on earth? You don’t need it there. It’s been the location of some great overtakes and this will just ruin them. If you’re really bent on having a DRS zone on this track, either do it on the start straight or between 1 and 2, which would help setting up an overtake on the straight after 2 in a more reasonable way. But imho you just don’t need DRS on this track (or any track for that matter).

7. Maff (@maff) said on 19th July 2012, 10:23

I think the best idea would be to try a race with no DRS… ready to drop it for the 2014 rules, or go to a 30 presses for the weekend whenever you like system.

Would be fun to watch the strategy of using it all up in qualifying to get to the front, vs keeping it for the race.

Definitely not needed.

• Drop Valencia! said on 19th July 2012, 11:30

I hate the idea of having 30 pushes (or any other arbitrary number) but over a WEEKEND – that’s a cool idea!

• John H (@john-h) said on 19th July 2012, 16:07

Been lobbying for a no DRS race for some time so that we can see how just these tyres affect things on their own. It just seems so obvious to the point of ridiculous seen as F1 is suppose to be the pinnacle of engineering – they don’t even know what a control experiment is.

• John H (@john-h) said on 19th July 2012, 16:09

Of course, having DRS in the pit-lane would also achieve a similar result… perhaps this has more chance of actually happening if phrased correctly to the FIA :)

8. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 19th July 2012, 10:41

*facepalm* Before turn 2, obviously that’s where it should go! Even something different like immediately after the hairpin (and allowing it to close before the bend) might influence some overtaking. I think the FIA are just being consistent with the placements to the end of the season now but hopefully in 2013 we might see some more common sense where DRS is not used at all in certain races.

9. RaNdoMz (@randomz) said on 19th July 2012, 10:48

I would have thought a small DRS zone on the straight between turns 1 and 2 would have been a much better idea. It would have made the run down to the hairpin even more exciting

10. I can see a place for a double DRS zone, like the one we had in Melbourne, with the detection point after turn 15 maybe, and activation after Turn 17 & Turn 1. Having DRS Zone into a corner that already has passing is just plain silly. This is coming from a bloke who is a DRS fan by the way.

• zztopless said on 19th July 2012, 11:55

I agree with thespuditron and I too am a fan of DRS, but why have such a long DRS zone into a corner that has always produced overtaking? I would have actually liked to see a double zone after T17 and T1, like Canada last year (not saying it was a good idea there), with the drivers having to close it for T1. That, or just have the activation point a third or half way down the main straight and then all the way to T2 and leave it up to the drivers as to when and for how long they disengage it for T1.

The only upside that I can see for having DRS on the back straight is it forces more of a compromising choice (which ever way you go) in terms of gear ratios (eg do they go for higher top speed with DRS open, or optimise for no DRS like RBR tend to do), but qualifying with DRS does this anyway.

11. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 19th July 2012, 11:51

Why do they insist on putting DRS in the best overtaking spot on the track? It’ll be so incredibly easy there it’ll ruin the race. Looks awfully long too.

That tactic is fine a tracks like Valencia, where you need just a little helping hand to pull off an overtake, but at Hockenheim the DRS zone is so long and the hairpin so good for overtaking cars will just be breezing past each other. It’s like taking the goalkeeper away from a football match — you’ll get more goal, but they won’t mean anything.

Until the FIA get it into their skulls that DRS needs to be used carefullyI will continue to campaign for its removal from F1.

• Nick.UK (@) said on 19th July 2012, 12:09

I like this comparison. Just had a argument with my brother about DRS. He says the whole point is to increase overtaking, he doesn’t seem to understand my argument about ‘fake’ overtakes. He says it’s fair because it’s the same for everyone… apart from the driver in front!

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 19th July 2012, 14:34

Yup…agree with both comments above. I don’t believe in DRS to begin with, and I think the zone is too long here, and I think we will just see more easy passing that has nothing to do with the pinnacle of racing other than they have decided to cater to those who want more passing at any cost. Which I think is wrong. I think the analogy of removing the goal tender in football is spot on.

@Nick…sounds like your brother has bought into the erroneous concept that more passing is better. It’s not. These passes are not memorable nor honourable and are a terrible addition to F1. While I do appreciate that processional parades have turned some fans off F1 in past years, F1′s intention up until DRS has never been to make passing so mundane that we don’t remember or talk about any of them. And I do appreciate it is a fine balance and not an easy one to achieve for F1/FIA, but DRS is overkill and wrong. There are better ways.

Imho, and I think many others, F1 may need more passing than in the parade-like processional days of the MS/Ferrari era, but only a little more passing, with the challenge still in place, such that we will talk about certain amazing passes for years to come…DRS is the opposite of that and I would prefer to go back to the processions if I could only choose between them and DRS passes.

The only good news these days is that at least there still are some great and memorable passes going on this season and last, in spite of DRS, and they have occurred when DRS was not in use.

12. Nick.UK (@) said on 19th July 2012, 12:16

I think the DRS here could lead to some overtakes even more fake than a certain 2010 ‘overtake’…

13. David-A (@david-a) said on 19th July 2012, 12:20

I would have gone for the pit straight, to encourage ballsy moves into the high speed turn 1.

14. cmckinleyF1 (@cmckinleyf1) said on 19th July 2012, 12:26

I would have made it a touch shorter there. Usually i’m for putting it in alternative places to create more overtaking spots but i can’t see it working anywhere else on the track

At least it’s early in the lap so you’ll see the car under attack with a full allocation of KERS to defend their position. Could be some fun on the run from T6 to T8 as well

15. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 19th July 2012, 12:30

Do turns 5 and 11 even justify being called turns?!