DRS zone leads to hairpin at Hockenheim

2012 German Grand Prix

The DRS zone for Sunday’s race at the Hockenheimring will be on the straight leading to the Spitzkehre hairpin, turn six on the circuit.

As Hockenheim was not on the calendar last year this will be the first time DRS is used at the circuit.

The detection point for the zone is at the exit of the preceding turn four. Drivers can activate DRS 260m after exiting that corner.

DRS zone, Hockenheimring, 2012

Should DRS be used at every circuit in 2012? Which venues need DRS zones? Have your say here:

2012 German Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 German Grand Prix articles

67 comments on DRS zone leads to hairpin at Hockenheim

1. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 19th July 2012, 13:43

Might as well watch the race first, then draw my conclusions ;)

On the face of it, it looks daft, but countless variables make a race, not just one element.

2. Umar Majid (@um1234) said on 19th July 2012, 13:51

much prefer the nurburgring to hockenhiem to be honest, agree with majority of the comments that DRS isnt needed

3. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 19th July 2012, 14:21

I didn’t get to watch the 2010 race, but if what people are saying is true, that there were a lot of overtakes into T6, then yeah I agree that the DRS was put in the wrong place.

IMO they should have had the detection point on the start line, and the activation zone a couple of meters after T1.

4. Julian (@julian) said on 19th July 2012, 14:29

While I’m not particulary happy with the DRS placement I’m at a loss to see where else it could be put. After the hairpin between turns 6 and 8 is possibly too dangerous due to the ‘turn 7′ kink. But more importantly it runs the risk of cancelling out any overtakes made at the hairpin as the car that was just overtaken could benefit from DRS and repass creating a pointless game of leapfrog (this would depend on where the DRS detection point is placed however).
    Between turn 1 and 2 is too short for DRS to be effective and turn 1 is a relatively fast speed corner which by nature will spread the cars out a tad, further reducing the effectveness of that potential DRS zone.
    Start finish straight is also to short and so is the straight between turns 11 and 12.

There really isnt anywhere else to put it, but they certainly could have made it a bit shorter (although Hockenheim isn’t a particulary lenghty track so it does look longer on paper). I would prefer if they experimented with no DRS to see what effect that would have on the racing because with the tyres this year I’m of the opinion that DRS isn’t really needed on most, if not, all of the circuts

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 19th July 2012, 15:32

I have an idea to tell Bernie / Charlie Whitting where else it could be put…

• John H (@john-h) said on 19th July 2012, 16:11

As I mention earlier, put the thing in the pit-lane.

• Mads (@mads) said on 19th July 2012, 16:25

@julian
      While you are right that between T1 and T2 won’t give much overtaking, but crucially it will bunch the cars up closer for the run onto the straight that leads into the hairpin.
      In turn, it wouldn’t be a gift card to a free pass, but it will keep cars closer and hopefully keep duels going for longer and with some more pure overtakes as a result.
      I think the DRS worked at its very best in Melbourne in 2011, because it only lead to passes when the driver behind had a huge speed advantage over the driver in front, but in more evenly matched duels it kept it going for longer and the driver in front would really have to work to break away, yet he wasn’t just a sitting duck against the DRS-sledgehammer.
      And putting it between T1 and T2 here would probably lead to something quite similar.

5. TED BELL said on 19th July 2012, 15:23

Make the entire track a DRS zone on raceday.

Why not ??

The entire rest of the weekend it is that way. Why have it all weekend and then restrict it on Sunday ?? I know the answer to my question, it just reflects how stupid DRS is in reality….

6. Eggry (@eggry) said on 19th July 2012, 17:04

I think whole start/finish straight would be enough. this is gone too far.

7. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 19th July 2012, 19:16

i always liked driving this track in games. i wish i had a dollar for every time i went way too hot into turn 2!

8. Steve_LWA said on 19th July 2012, 22:54

if i see any boringly easy DRS passes im going to stop watching because frankly im sick & tired of having to sit through push of a button passing which are boring/unexciting to watch, they really ruin my enjoyment of the racing.

9. Dizzy said on 19th July 2012, 22:57

Not seen the translation yet but I heard from someone that was at the FOTA forum that there was a lot of negativity regarding DRS from the fans in attendance & most felt it should be removed from cars.

10. PeteF12012 said on 19th July 2012, 23:29

Something DRS has done that I don’t like which never gets mentioned is that it’s eliminated the old low downforce skinny wings we used to see on the faster tracks.

I used to love seeing the skinny wings & the effect they would have on the cars with them sliding about a bit more & twitching about under braking etc… Now we don’t see that as they just run high downforce configerations everywhere.

• zztopless said on 20th July 2012, 6:17

We still see them at Monza and to a lesser extent Canada. To be honest, I don’t recall seeing them anywhere else post the 2009 aero changes. Except perhaps Red Bull at Spa last year (presumably due to generating enough downforce from their ebd).
      [img]http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/12_rosb_spaf_start_2011.jpg[/img]