Vettel and Hamilton at odds over unlapping

F1 Fanatic round-up

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Hockenheim, 2012In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton defends his driving after being criticised by Sebastian Vettel and Christian Horner for unlapping himself during the German Grand Prix.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso cruises to German Grand Prix victory (The Guardian)

Sebastian Vettel: “It’s a bit stupid to disturb the leaders. I think that potentially lost us the position to Jenson [Button].”

Cry baby: Hamilton slams Vettel as German Grand Prix fallout turns into public spat (The Mirror)

Lewis Hamilton: “It doesn?t really bother me what he says, I guess. It shows his maturity. I don?t think I?ve made any silly decisions throughout the race. I had nothing to gain apart from staying out of the way of my team mate.”

Vettel and Horner slam Hamilton (Sky)

Christian Horner: “Why was he interfering with the race leaders? He should have respected the fact that they were ahead on the track.”

F1 Fanatic via Twitter

“Vettel doing himself no favours calling Hamilton’s unlapping ‘stupid’. Remember the Kubica/Vettel/Hamilton move at Interlagos ’08.”

Intelligent Alonso shows he has all the answers (BBC)

“After standing on his Ferrari’s nose to milk the applause, Alonso turned to Button and said: ‘You couldn’t beat me?’ He then pointed to Vettel and said: ‘He couldn’t either.'”

2012 German Grand Prix (McLaren)

Hamilton: “My second-lap puncture was incredibly unfortunate: there was debris scattered across the full width of the track and I didn?t have any option other than to drive straight through it. What?s more frustrating is that, at the time, I was the eighth car through ?ǣ so to be the one to get the puncture is just cruel luck.”

Ferrari Still Not The Fastest Car, Says Domenicali (Speed)

“I believe we still don?t have the fastest car, if we had the fastest car maybe it would be easier to win. We need to improve the car, and we need to make sure our car is good in all the different conditions, wet/dry, different kinds of tyres, and so on.”

McLaren MP4-27 – revised sidepod design (F1)

“The extensive list of updates include lower and more sculptured sidepods, new exhausts, new radiator installation, a revised floor in front of the rear tyres, a new diffuser, new rear wing endplates and modified brakes ducts.”

Ferrari told to ignore RBR technical row (Autosport)

Stefano Domenicali: “When I first saw the note from the technical delegate, I said ‘stay focused on our job today.’ This is something that engineers see and they try to think about. But no, stay focused on what you have to do. Forget about what is happening.”

Ecclestone’s absence fuels talk of charges (The Telegraph)

“After his office intimated that he would fly in late on Saturday, Ecclestone apparently had a change of heart, saying that he did not want to be ‘a distraction’. German media had speculated on Friday that Ecclestone might be arrested if he attended the race.”

German GP – Conference 4 (FIA)

Button on his flat spot during the final stint: “It gave me a little bit of a headache, but that was about it. It was unusual. I guess they just weren’t up to temperature when I hit the brakes that time. We’ve been very good with front-locking in this race. Normally it’s a big issue with the McLaren. In testing we had big issues with front locking. We did some set-up work and we’ve solved a lot of that, which is great for us.”

Comment of the day

There’s been a lot of discussion recently over Ferrari using Italian in their team radio messages. Bullfrog reckons it’s up to TV broadcasters to translate them instead of forcing Ferrari to use English:

Sky are asking people to pay a premium for their service ?ǣ the least they can do is find someone to translate the messages, instead of making lame jokes and sounding amazed that people speak in funny foreign languages…
Bullfrog

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Matt!

On this day in F1

Five years ago today a furious Scott Speed claimed his Toro Rosso team were trying to force him and Vitantonio Liuzzi out.

Sure enough, it soon turned out Speed had already started his last race: he was replaced by Sebastian Vettel at the Hungarian Grand Prix. Liuzzi was dropped at the end of the season to make way for Sebastien Bourdais.

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

197 comments on Vettel and Hamilton at odds over unlapping

1. Josie Maunders (@jbmaunders) said on 23rd July 2012, 9:43

Vettel never called Hamilton stupid, he said that his decision to unlap himself was. There’s a difference. Guess it shows Hamilton’s maturity if he didnt check the facts before responding, and the blatant biased approach of the British media that they immediately, as always, painted the non-Brit in the bad light. Vettel had a right to be upset, he was very close to Alonso at that point and did lose time to Hamilton, potentially losing the race there, and Hamilton has said a hell of a lot worse.

2. Yoshitsune (@yobo01) said on 23rd July 2012, 9:47

I think that Vettel is right. I wouldn’t have used the word “stupid” because the journalists usually go mad when there is a strong word like this, but he has a point.

At that stage Hamilton was faster than the leaders, but not that much. I remember that in China 2011 some lapped drivers passed Vettel in the closing stages of the race. But they did so in the middle of the straight, without affecting his race.

Look at Hamilton’s move on Vettel: it was a proper overtaking manoeuvre. He opened the DRS, he went on the inside and forced the braking. On top of that, Vettel was not aware of that until he saw Lewis alongside him.

That’s a little bit too risky. And unnecessary. I mean, Hamilton had really nothing to gain from that pass, so why do that? A couple of laps later there was Alonso using a defensive line. And that shows that losing the place to Hamilton was a loss of time and a risk.

I know it’s not in the rules, but if you are a lapped driver and behind the leaders, common sense says that you should try not to affect their race. Besides, Seb and Fernando were fighting and that move prevented Vettel from fighting with Alonso in the last laps of the stint.

• Slr (@slr) said on 23rd July 2012, 9:53

Hamilton had really nothing to gain from that pass, so why do that

He started going faster when Button was about to lap him, so he went faster to avoid getting in his way and help him.

• caci_99 said on 23rd July 2012, 13:19

You must be joking saying that Hamilton had nothing to gain. I really don’t understand this attitude and mentality of some. He is a races for god’s sake. He, and all drivers, push as much as they can. By that logic why would HRT bother to race.

• “I know it’s not in the rules, but if you are a lapped driver and behind the leaders, common sense says that you should try not to affect their race.”

If it’s not in the rules, why did Red Bull have a problem with it ?
      After all, they are sticklers for following the letter of the rules.

Sebastian Vettel might consider that it was the application of the letter of the rules, against the spirit of the rules, which allowed him to start at the front of the grid rather than the back (though I would argue that Hamilton had both the letter and spirit of the rules on his side in this case).

3. Slr (@slr) said on 23rd July 2012, 9:50

Horner and Vettel are talking rubbish, yes they had a tough time but they should take it on the chin. It was quite funny when Horner was talking to Sky, and whenever he tried to justify what he said, the Sky presenters were telling him how wrong he was and then Horner ended up saying some silly things.

In regards to COTD:

To be fair, Alonso and race engineer only occasionally spoke Italian over the team radio before this year so Sky wouldn’t have known they’d need a translator. Sometimes Ted Kravitz finds out what Alonso and his race engineer says by asking Italian journalists.

4. Bendanarama (@bendana) said on 23rd July 2012, 9:56

This very much smacks of Horner and Vettel throwing a sulk over the fact that they got a penalty, and trying to put some kind of blame – any kind, in fact onto McLaren. Rather pathetic, to be honest, considering Hamilton was completely in his rights to unlap and Vettel blatantly cheated to pass Button.

5. Maciek (@maciek) said on 23rd July 2012, 9:58

Partly agree with COTD – I’ll take it one further and say that if we’re that desperate to catch every word of Ferrari’s radio messages we can easily pick rudimentary Italian from any online phrase book. I’m pretty sure they’re not exactly quoting Dante. It shouldn’t take more than a couple dozen words to get the gist.

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 23rd July 2012, 11:50

Yes, at the time I thought “what was that…three, something about laps…ah, who cares?” If I could have replayed it a few times I might’ve got it. More disappointed with the commentators being dismissive about it – after all, they drop everything to listen to all the radio messages, even the meaningless ones.

6. Carlito's way said on 23rd July 2012, 11:00

Everyone is missing the point here. We shoul be discussing why Bernie didn’t show up this weekend. Feeling the heat for sure, and rightly so. If the banker has been jailed for receiving bribes Bernie can’t expect to go scotch free.

7. James (@jamesf1) said on 23rd July 2012, 11:08

I guess if there is one thing we can conclude from this week, is that Hamilton is unlikely to be at Red Bull in 2014 given the strong words used by Horner this weekend! Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Lewis ;)

• McGregski (@mcgregski) said on 23rd July 2012, 16:11

If Lewis did want to go to Red Bull I’d be willing to bet the only person who may have an issue with that would be Vettel – at the risk of being shown up in his own team.
      Horner would have to go for the quickest driver available in the case of replacing Vettel and you could argue that Hamilton is the only one who could be available in 2014 to fill that gap.
      Neither would have a choice if Mateschitz decided it fitted his marketing strategy, I would love to see Vettel Alonso and Lewis racing in the same car just to see who came out on top

• DaveW (@dmw) said on 24th July 2012, 0:41

I would say that passing a driver to unlap ones self and then pull away, while that man helplessly waves his hands like a child, is a rather good audition to replace said driver.

Vettel by the way was a real mess on Sunday. I saw him go off track in two corners in a row at one point. It was like me on F12010 or something.

8. James (@jamesf1) said on 23rd July 2012, 11:11

I disagree with the comment of the day, and I feel it is another pointless, pathetic dig at Sky for the sake for taking a dig at Sky. Surely you should be complaining about the BBC too, as you pay a license fee to watch TV (and only because of the BBC), so they should be providing you with a translator?

I dont really care to be honest, they’re not speaking in a previous unheard language, and the commentators generally do manage to get a translator to tell them what had been said eventually anyway. If anything, Ted Kravitz generally figures out what has been said just by looking at strategy of all drivers, pits stops and their lap times. That’s impressive reporting/sloothing.

Stop with the sour grapes against Sky. It’s a little pathetic. You should be angry at the BBC if anything, for dropping F1 in the way it did.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 23rd July 2012, 11:17

I chose the comment because it was on the subject of the radio messages, which a lot of people had been talking about, particularly in the live comments.

Sky was the only UK broadcaster showing the race live so it’s hardly surprising they were referred to but you could just as easily make the same criticism of other broadcasters.

Did this happen at all during yesterday’s race? I can’t think of any examples (though I haven’t rewatched it yet).

• James (@jamesf1) said on 23rd July 2012, 11:40

Ted did talk to an Italian colleague (at RTL I think?) at Silverstone (and possibly Valencia…?) to find out what was going on. He didnt say during pit lane commentary that he did that yesterday, but his information was spot on. So either by his own working or by communicating with those fluent in Italian, the viewer got the information.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 23rd July 2012, 17:25

@jamesf1

the viewer got the information

If most people thought that was the case I doubt I’d be seeing so many complaints, which is why I chose the comment to begin with. As I say I don’t recall any translations coming forward during yesterday’s race.

• James (@jamesf1) said on 23rd July 2012, 17:33

I’ve no issue with the comment with regards to translation, just the petty digs towards Sky which are still persistant. The BBC ran out of money and had to ditch/cut back. Sky came forward and presented the UK with an opportunity to continue watching F1 for the full season.

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 23rd July 2012, 12:03

Stop with the sour grapes against the BBC. And don’t tell me what to think – that’s pathetic.

9. sato113 (@sato113) said on 23rd July 2012, 11:31

i found the whole unlapping thing with Hamilton hilarious! seeing him unlap vettel much to vettel’s dislike.

10. alexf1man (@alexf1man) said on 23rd July 2012, 14:22

Is there a high quality video of Jenson Button’s final stop (which was 2.31 seconds)? If so can a link be put on here and then get BBC / Sky to analyse it during the Hungarian GP build up? :-)

11. Alan (@dogmop) said on 23rd July 2012, 17:05

My favourite thing about the Hamilton unlapping incident, was the fact he then got to freely pass all the other back markers who were being shown blue flags and must have presumed the silver McLaren was one of the front runners… Honestly I think the only blue flags I saw around him when he was up to pace was for the other back markers who were going too slow not to impede the leading back.

Personally I think blue flags are a joke anyway (especially with DRS now) but that’s another matter.

• James (@jamesf1) said on 23rd July 2012, 17:54

I think the blue flags are a necessity whilst there is such a gulf between the quickest and the slowest teams. If the field was less than 1.5 seconds apart in the dry then I would say there isnt a need for DRS. There are occassions where this has been the case, just not accross the board unfortunately.

• Mark (@marlarkey) said on 23rd July 2012, 18:25

There is hardly any gap between the quickest and slowest teams…. the front to the back of the grid has hardly been any closer in the whole history of F1

• Daniel Brown (@scuderiaferrarifanatic) said on 23rd July 2012, 23:06

There is every need for blue flags, because without them, inexperienced, talentless and unattentive drivers at the back of the grid would be impeding and causing accidents with, the front runners (a la Irvine vs Senna – Senna was right to wallop Irvine. Personally, i would have too!). There is also a good chance they would hold them up out of spite.

12. RevIt said on 23rd July 2012, 17:36

Funny that Hamilton says that Vettel’s reaction shows his maturity. While his idol punched Irvine in the face for that while he was in his 30’s and the way he reacted last year on several occasions.

13. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 23rd July 2012, 21:10

Forgive me for sounding a little cynical here, but I don’t think after last year that Hamilton is in any position to criticise anyone for being immature. Sure, he’s improved leaps and bounds this year but this just seems a bit like double-standards almost. He accused the stewards of being racist in 2011!

Oh and about him ‘never giving up’? Give it a rest, Lewis, you wanted to retire after your puncture!

While RBR will be disappointed in the result, I think they ought to respect McLaren’s very obvious use of strategy between two drives running two different races. Hamilton was faster than Vettel and Alonso so at the very least he can’t be expected to sacrifice his own race too much.

14. leotef (@leotef) said on 24th July 2012, 3:04

This GP is really mystifying. Why on earth did McLaren decide to put HAM in the middle of the top battle when as somebody says they could have pit HAM couple laps early and put him back still ahead of ALO. And all the team radios way too confusing.. retire, race, retire…. And the pit times for BUT lightning. I didn’t buy any arguments saying McLaren is fully behind BUT. Now with this German GP, I’m sort of less sure… can’t pinpoint down, but smells something similar to tin-foiled arguments.
    BTW, bankrupt Spain is dominating creditor nation German one more time… it’s really odd though.

15. disgruntled said on 24th July 2012, 4:22

I think it is already well known in F1 circles of how good a winner Vettool is and how much of a sore loser the kid is. He should have a serious discussuion with his finger