First F1 2012 video revealed by Codemasters

F1 video game

Codemasters’ latest official Formula One game, F1 2012, is due to hit the shelves next month.

The team behind it have produced the first official video of the game. The video shows a new quick-start mode in which players can compete against the six world champions currently racing in F1:

Codemasters have also recently released F1 Online, a free, browser-based F1 management game.

F1 video games

Browse all F1 video game articles

75 comments on First F1 2012 video revealed by Codemasters

1. Hallard (@hallard) said on 6th August 2012, 18:15

I hope they can fix the gameplay in this version. I might be in the minority, but I found F1 2011 to be utterly unplayable.

Aside from the relatively poor frame rate, the cars just did not perform like F1 cars. So much body roll… it’s as if the developers had never watched onboard footage of an F1 car. F1 cars corner almost completely flat, with very little roll or pitch. Also, way too much high-speed oversteer (since F1 cars tend to understeer at high speed in real life). On the whole, a big step backward from F1 2010, and I hope 2012 can remedy this.

• Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 6th August 2012, 19:45

They’ve said elsewhere that they’ve fixed that, but on the other hand they’ve swung from one extreme to the other so I’ll wait until I’ve played the game before I make any judgement.

2. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 6th August 2012, 21:13

It’s remarkable how many people are writing the game off based on nothing more than a 76-second video.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 6th August 2012, 21:51

@keithcollantine It’s a fickle industry, video games ;)

Agreed though. It’s a promo video, further ones will follow, with gameplay footage.

• foleyger (@foleyger) said on 7th August 2012, 0:16

I think people r goin on their experiences with the last 2 games and that Codemasters can’t be trusted. They said that they wud be releasing a video today on gameplay and they didn’t do that

• JustinF1 (@justinf1) said on 7th August 2012, 1:20

I agree,. this game never clammed it was a sim and admits it’s a work in progress. They had to create it for several platforms and it’s no easy task. A lot of people are acting as if they real f1 drivers ,. it’s only a video game, enjoy it.

• coefficient (@coefficient) said on 7th August 2012, 11:55

Yeah there is a real snobbyness about this which is a bit pathetic. You get R factor devotees slating the CM Title just because R factor was there first. It really is childish how seriously some people take their on-line gaming. I had the misfortune of racing this character who did nothing but complain about a couple of beginner racers saying things like “you have no business driving a Formula 1 car”. It’s a blinkin game and whichever title you favour, it ain’t real and it ain’t anything like the real thing and if you think it is you’re fooling yourself.

3. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 6th August 2012, 21:48

The only thing I think that’s missing is that the pit-wall and general pit area looks so quiet on a race weekend. A bit more activity would make it a bit more likable I think. I’m not going to put Codies down for releasing very similar games every year. That’s the nature of the beast with the sports game industry. Just tighten up on a few things, that’s all that’s needed.

4. KhimFoh said on 7th August 2012, 2:39

Can’t wait for the CM F1 2012. F1 2011 does have it’s flaw but overall it’s an enjoyable game to play. The main gripe I have about F1 2011 is the occasional corrupted savegame file and the loading time…it’s awfully slow.

5. bn86 (@bn86) said on 7th August 2012, 9:47

I cant wait for this game. I don’t really mind that the game doesn’t change much year to year, as long as i get an F1 game!
    My only gripe with 2011 is that the penalty system in the online multiplayer is too inconsistent:
    Driving down the back straight in Canada, about to pull off a clean move on the straight, I get shoved into the wall yet the other guy gets no penalty.
    Following in the slipstream around Monza the guy in front brake test me in the middle of the straight nowhere near the braking zone, I’m tucked in so close behind i plough into the back of them- yet I get the penalty for the Idiot break testing well before the breaking zone to deliberately take me out.
    I make a mistake at a chicane and run off, instead of rejoining straight away and risk taking someone out, I slow right down and rejoin the track making sure I don’t overtake anyone or maintain an advantage and i get disqualified.

Im sure a number of you may have had this happen to you also, as is my only gripe with the codemasters F1 series, I love the online play but at the same time I loathe the fact that the inconsistent penalties really hack me off.

My two wish lists for the series, are sadly limited by the current licensing:
    I’d love to see a scenario mode with accurate cars/ tracks and drivers from the time. you have a classic moment in F1 history and you have to recreate it, (or change history by creating a different outcome!)
    I’d love it to hop into a game mode and try to recreate Mansell v Piquet at silverstone 87, or Raikkonen v Fisichella in Japan 05, or even try the Senna V Prost at Suzuka 89 and try and make the move work!
    I’d also love to have the chance to unlock classic cars and classic tracks and have the option to use them in time trial like in the old F1 06 game for PS2, or even unlock classic cars and use them in an online multiplayer.
    seeing either of those would make an F1 game even more awesome! But sadly the licensing restirictions dont allow it.

But overall I cant wait for F1 2012 to come out, I am eager to get going and Im sure that it will be an improvement on 2011 and I will love the game whatever!

• vho (@) said on 7th August 2012, 18:05

Agree with the penalty system in 2011. Very inconsistent and generally gets it wrong.

I hope they include a race engineer that can help out more with the setup by asking simple questions. It should question your outcome after a 5 lap stint to help you adjust the car to accordingly to what you need. It should analyze the laps and see where you gained or lost based on different settings. So in free practice the race engineer should allow you to make othe first setting, then help you refine it based on your driving style and position against other drivers.

• Paul (@vodaclone) said on 8th August 2012, 19:41

But sadly the licensing restirictions dont allow it.

I don’t understand, if the old PS2 official games could get the license for classic cars, why can’t Codies? I think this would really invigorate the series and would you give you more to look forward to than just slight gameplay tweaks, ugly noses and livery changes. Even if they were to only include a few on each game it would be exciting to see what they will add each season.

6. Alan (@dogmop) said on 7th August 2012, 15:39

I wish they’d just sort out the AI, it was barely any more realistic than the year before (blue flags, poor racecraft etc…). Also F1 2011 had a safety car addition, but the AI never crashes (even when I ram them off to try and pull out a SC! Piquet style), maybe if they spent less time making unskippable annoying ’3D’ menus and more time making a game, I’d actually buy it every year.

This year is one to miss it seems, probably get the Super Stars game instead, at least the Mrs will want to play then!

7. BBT (@bbt) said on 7th August 2012, 19:41

The last two were very poor. I won’t be buying this one. Not basing my comment on the video but the poor game play and bugs in the previous versions.

8. Sion Lewis said on 7th August 2012, 20:08

What’s with all the negativity? I for one am looking forward to it! I don’t care if its not a 100% perfect, not many games are. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it! No ones forcing you.

9. Sion Lewis said on 7th August 2012, 20:17

I must add the disappointments I had with 2011. AI didn’t get out of the way when you were lapping them, a slight nudge off the AI would have you doing a 360, but nudging them wouldn’t budge them, it was as if they were on rails. Receiving penalties for unknown reasons, AI not getting penalised. Poor graphics on the PS3. With all that, even if at times I felt like throwing it out the window, I still enjoyed. Hopefully these problems won’t exist in the 2012 version

10. Sir Crammond said on 7th August 2012, 20:27

If it aint broke you cant fix it.
    GP2, GP3 an GP4 are the zenith off realistic simulators concerning F1…..an GP Legends is in a league of its own if you use as Sheldon from BBT says ` the best graphips chip in the Universe, the Human mind`

11. Gooby (@gooby) said on 8th August 2012, 6:04

It seems almost as though people are nitpicking this game too much.
    rFactor is a sim game, the F1 series is not.
    Forza is an Xbox exclusive game, the F1 series is not.
    GT5 is a PS3 exclusive game, the F1 series is not.
    The Xbox and PS3 have very different limitations compared to the PC and so obviously it’s going to be a lot harder to find a balance, rather than designing a game strictly for one platform. The game is made on an annual basis, and there isn’t much you can do, other than update the drivers, liveries, teams and what not. Features had been added, taken away, or improved from 2010 to 2011, and they cannot be faulted for that. Some like them and some don’t, it’s purely a matter of opinion, so to criticise them for implementing something such as the time trial feature purely because it’s not to your liking just isn’t on.

Sure there might be some bugs (not as many as people seem to allude to), but what more are you expecting? Provide a list of games that are succeeded on an annual basis and don’t have bugs. Sure they make one patch and then move on, but as someone previously mentioned, they’re a small team and have one year to produce a whole new game, they can’t sit on the patches for an eternity. You can accuse them for ‘lying’ to their customers in regards to the patches and bug-fixes, but as a small company they can only do so much.

Lastly, to say that you think the current price that it will be sold for is too much is illogical. That means assuming that the retail price is based solely on the quality which is not how it works.

12. F1Canuck said on 8th August 2012, 6:32

I will buy this game every year for the same reason I buy EA’s NHL series every year. I’m a fan of the sport and have become a fan of the franchise.

To everyone complaining about lack of evolution in the game, skip 2012 wait for 2013 when the next gen consoles arrive.

13. First of all, I agree it would be unrealistic to expect these kinds of games to be innovated hugely from version to version. A lot of the annual sports titles get away with offering a content update for the new season and a few minor tweaks here and there. There was actually a bit more modifications needed from 2010 to last year, as DRS and KERS should have been and were included (and worked pretty much as expected, which I liked). A more or less rudimentary brake bias adjust option should be a less important element.

I do disagree with the “this doesn’t want to be a hardcore simulation” argument. I respect that’s the approach Codemasters is sticking with, but I see no need to not offer more complexity to the players who would like it. Basically telling the simracing fans to stay away from this because they look for something the F1 games don’t want to offer only means they’ll refuse to pay for this product and go play some unofficial F1 mods on some other game instead. Consequently, by also motivating these people to buy the game, Codemasters could market their series to an even bigger fan base, which, in turn, I think could justify the additional development resources they would most probably need to go beyond the complexity they’re accomplishing now.

Even from a small development team, however, I expect core functionalities of a software to be working correctly, without the need for a patch that might come down the road. Instead, both games had issues reported where game saves become corrupted, which, if you google after Dirt 2, didn’t just start happening with the F1 titles. It’s one thing to have your community managers ask people to not swear in your face for something like that occurring. It’s another to get to the bottom of such an issue and be able to fix it.

Also, for emulating a racing series which features mandatory pit stops, there were numerous issues that shouldn’t have happened. In F12010, players were held unduly long in the pits during stops, while computer-controlled cars, in some cases, didn’t pit at all. Last year’s title, instead, still seems to have balancing issues in that CCs sometimes stay out too long, suffer a puncture from wear and then halt on the track immediately rather than attempting to get back to the pits and change to a new set of tyres. Okay, it’s not a simulation if that happens and you’re right behind a car and you crash into them and you get a penalty for causing a collision. That’s arcade, all right.

With those kinds of experiences, I’ll weigh if and when I’ll want to buy and play the game. Last year, at least I waited until the patch was out.

14. rpiian (@rpiian) said on 9th August 2012, 3:00

I played the heck out of 2010, can’t say I’ll buy this but I liked the graphics and physics in the “1st” one. I just wish they had telemetry on the console versions. And like Tanner said, the games need a little more hustle and bustle in the pit lane.