Massa pledges support to Alonso in title bid

F1 Fanatic round-up

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Hungaroring, 2012In the round-up: Felipe Massa says he’ll do what he can to help Fernando Alonso win the championship.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

My Ferrari future depends on results in second half of season, admits Massa (Daily Mail)

“If I’m near Alonso or in front of him I’ll do what I can to help him win the championship, that’s obvious. He is in a completely different position than I am in the championship.”

Spa secured on calendar until 2015 (GP Update)

“Organisers of the Belgian Grand Prix have confirmed a new three-year race contract with Bernie Ecclestone and Formula One Management (FOM).”

‘We’re all impatient’ (ESPN)

Caterham technical director Mark Smith: “We are making the 2013 car very much a development of the current car. So there’s not a fundamental shift in what we’re doing and therefore we are going to develop this car a little bit further in to this season than we would have done.”

McLaren: Clinical finish key to title (Autosport)

Martin Whitmarsh: “This season has been difficult for everyone ?ǣ and you would have to say Fernando and Ferrari have done a great job: one in terms of development and two in terms of getting the best out of the package. We haven’t got the best out of our package.”

F1 2012 interview: Codemasters on reaching out to a new audience (Digital Spy)

“Most people who haven’t played F1 instantly think its going to be too time consuming or too difficult for them. So a lot of the campaign this year is about showcasing that F1 is a game for everyone, it’s a sport game just like FIFA is a simulation of football.”

Davidson expects fewer shocks (Sky)

“I don’t know whether we’re going to see a surprise like a [Pastor] Maldonado say win a race through to the end of the year. I think now you’re starting to see that natural progression of top teams starting to pull away. But I could be wrong.”

F1 Race Stars Gamescom 2012 footage (720p) (YouTube)

The Formula 1 engine (MotorSport)

“[Colin] Chapman used to infuriate Cosworth?s Keith Duckworth with design sketches that included a skew-whiff box that had the word ??engine? jotted within; and it was Duckworth, no fan of turbos, who 30 years ago proposed the introduction of a fuel-flow formula, an idea that will come to fruition in 2014.”

F1 Tales: Brushes With The Law (Viva F1)

“With most of the important staff having deserted by the time the Formula One circus arrived at Spa for the Belgian Grand Prix the story of Andrea Moda Formula reached its climax when Sassetti was arrested in the paddock for allegedly forging invoices. The following week at Monza, the FIA decided that enough was enough and threw the team out of Formula One before it could damage the reputation of the sport further.”

Topiary Williams F1 car installed at team’s HQ (BBC)

“The display was designed to mark the team’s 35-year history and won gold at the Chelsea Flower Show in May.”

Vijay Mallya, ‘King of good times’ vows to offer another gold-plated door to a temple (The Times of India)

“The door, about six ft in height with an equal width, has a 2.4 kilogram gold cladding which cost Rs 80 lakh (??91,000), including the fine work. Later speaking to the media, Mallya said,’I have been a devotee of the deities of this coastal district. I have been visiting Kollur Mookambika temple, Tirumala Venkatarama Temple at Bantwal (the home town of his grand father Bantwal Ganapathi Mallya) and Kukke Subrahmanya. In business, it is but natural to have ups and downs. I will be successful again with God’s grace.’”

Great winners on F1?s greatest track (Unibet)

My new article for Unibet on the history of the Belgian Grand Prix.

Tweets

Comment of the day

Would F1 still be F1 if it wasn’t an open-wheel, open-cockpit formula? @Drmouse says yes:

The central idea of F1 is that it is, and should remain, the pinacle of motorsport. This core value is only enhanced by enclosed cockpits and wheels.

Having them open is vastly inefficient. Huge amounts of effort go into mitigating this at the moment: See all the aero devices designed to stop the wheels interfering with the aerodynamics of the car. I would say that enclosing the wheels would stop the manufacturers concentrating their efforts on such an irrelevant part of the car.

These efforts could then be put back into the more relevant areas: Overall aero, engine/powertrain, suspension, etc. I cannot see how it would detract from the racing, or the core F1 values, at all.
@Drmouse

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Andrew White, Hlahalasas and Lord Stig!

On this day in F1

Michael Schumacher dominated a wet Belgian Grand Prix 15 years ago today.

The race was started behind the safety car but Schumacher elected to start the race on intermediate tyres (which is forbidden under the today’s rules) and quickly passed the wet-shod runners in front of him.

Giancarlo Fisichella came in second for Jordan but Mika Hakkinen was disqualified from third place due to a fuel irregularity, promoting Heinz-Harald Frentzen in his place.

Here’s Schumacher passing Jean Alesi early in the race:

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

55 comments on Massa pledges support to Alonso in title bid

1. Dimitris 1395 (@) said on 24th August 2012, 9:43

I am extremely happy Spa will coninue to host a Grand Prix. As a continuous attendant, is a pleasure to have a race there…

2. Nick (@npf1) said on 24th August 2012, 11:24

Glad to see Spa is going to stick around a little longer. I do wonder though, with the global economic woes and declining attendance, will we see more drops in race fees? Personally, I think ‘supply and demand’ will catch up to F1 one day, and I’d rather not have it in a sense where race organizers suddenly decide it’s been enough.

Bit of a curious quote by Massa too, “Even though the results have not been good, the performances were better. Now we need to have a clean race so the result can be positive in the end.” Is Felipe implying his luck has turned on him? Even though I agree he has been performing better in some Monaco-and-beyond races, there have been several drivers this season who had an unlucky weekend and managed to get in good points on account of strategy, perseverance and skill. I haven’t seen one of those by Massa in ages.

3. Jimmy Page said on 24th August 2012, 13:13

OT: Hehe, there’s a boxing match this weekend between Perez and Maldonado.

Perhaps F1 should encourage drivers to settle their grudges in the ring. Might this not have nipped the Hamilton-Massa problem in the bud? Might Maldonado behave himself if Perez, Hamilton and others had the chance to sock him in the jaw?

4. Shrieker (@shrieker) said on 24th August 2012, 15:12

“Massa pledges support to Alonso in title bid”

Meanwhile at McLaren…

5. gogog said on 24th August 2012, 22:15

Oh please stop Felipe, your starting to remind me of Gazza!

6. The Limit said on 26th August 2012, 5:10

I must admit I find the comments making fun of Felipe Massa quite laughable. Everybody knows that any driver who will partner Fernando Alonso will fare no better than Massa has at Ferrari. The team is so blatantly focused around the Spaniard that even a Vettel or Hamilton would be cast aside now. Only once has a team mate of Alonso’s caused him problems, and that was in a team that Fernando had no control over. At Renault and Ferrari he has destroyed every driver that has been paired off alongside him for the simple fact that Fernando was the number one driver.
    At Renault he enjoyed the undivided attention of Flavio Briatore, to the extent that Flavio ordered one of his team mates to crash so that Alonso could win a grands prix. At Ferrari, we all saw the events of Hockenheim 2010. How can any driver exist in that atmosphere without destroying their career by becoming no more than a lap dog. I pity Massa, but I tell you one thing. He has more integrity and nerve than all of you put together for even staying in the sport that so nearly cost him his life.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 26th August 2012, 9:34

Massa was brave to return to the sport after his crash. But a racing driver of integrity would have not capitulated in the manner he did at Hockenheim in 2010. I think that, as well as his dismal performances in the last couple of seasons, explains much of the mockery.

Lewis Hamilton did alright.

• Ryan Williams (@ryanwilliams) said on 26th August 2012, 9:48

Lewis had nothing to lose when he was team-mates with Fernando, whereas Massa was partnered with Fernando off the back of a near world championship win, and a horrific accident which put him out of the sport for 5 months.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 26th August 2012, 10:00

I don’t agree Hamilton had “nothing to lose” – he had a seat in one of the best teams in F1 to lose.

But regardless of which driver ‘had the most to lose’ it doesn’t excuse or explain their subsequent performances. Both were put in those cars to score points and win races and Hamilton clearly did far better in 2007 than Massa did in 2010, 2011 or 2012.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 27th August 2012, 15:35

I agree with The Limit, except that I don’t pity Massa.

I think everyone should ask themselves honestly…ever think of FM as a FA beater? Ever think they hired FA so FM could win the WDC? Ever see Ferrari favour one driver, even from race one of a season? ie. Hockenheim 2010 should have been no surprise, nor should it be a surprise to see where things are today with the team and it’s drivers.

If I ever felt any pity for FM at all, it was upon the announcement that FA was going to Ferrari. I think for the most part everyone, including FM, knew what that announcement meant for FM.

I think LH did the best vs. FA because LH was engrained in the team, they with much data on him already, whereas FA was totally new to the team, they will no data on him. FA did very well considering those realities and considering that FA had reason to accuse them of favouring LH and therefore politics came into play negatively for him, whereas the politics only favoured him at Benetton and Ferrari.

I struggle with the concept that a driver with integrity would have disobeyed the order in 2010. While I get that FM would have shown himself to be his own man and a true racer if he had done that, the other side of the coin is that disobeying the team’s request could also be said to have been showing lack of integrity by putting himself ahead of the team. Keeping in mind this is Ferrari we are talking about…we know their ways…so does FM.