Kubica attends Ford World Rally test

F1 Fanatic round-up

In the round-up: Robert Kubica appears to be considering a future in rallying.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Kubica a aid?? Ford ?? progresser (Lavenir, French)

Belgian website Lavenir reports Robert Kubica recently attended a four-day test with the Ford WRC team and drivers Petter Solberg and Jari-Matti Latvala at the Circuit des Ecuyers in France. Thanks @Cyclops_pl for the tip.

Pay TV switch ‘good for F1′ (Autosport)

Martin Whitmarsh: “I think Sky has put a tremendous amount of energy into the coverage. We used to be obsessed with bums on seats in front of television sets, but that is going to be as antiquated as considering the lending of library books as a measurement for literature.”

Paralympics 2012: Alex Zanardi back at Brands Hatch on a hand bike (The Guardian)

“It’s not much different to Formula One where they are improving the cars constantly. The difference is every hand biker needs a different bike depending on their residual ability.”

Williams in 60 seconds: Machine Shop (Williams via YouTube)

New FIA Formula E Championship powered by electric energy (FIA)

“The Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) has reached an agreement to licence the commercial rights of the FIA Formula E Championship to a consortium of international investors, Formula E Holdings Ltd (FEH).”

Penske engineer recalls the day Ayrton Senna drove an IndyCar (Auto123)

[Emerson] Fittipaldi’s best lap was a 49.70 compared to Senna’s 49.09. At the end of the day, Emerson did a 48.5 in the new car, and that was just 0.6 second quicker than Senna. That was very good considering Ayrton was driving a year-old car on old tyres.”

Will a woman ever win F1? (Channel 4)

Suzie Wolff: “I train for the next level, so I’m training at the moment not for GP3 but GP2, I’m training my neck for G-forces of GP2 or Formula 1 so hopefully if I get the chance to move up my body is ready for it and my neck won’t be screaming. You’re always training for the next stage up.”

Formula One driver Narain Karthikeyan is looking to shift gears (Daily Mail)

“There’s everything to learn from Pedro’s vast experience. The Pirelli-McLaren tyres have been quite difficult and they have been specifically designed to make the races interesting. It is one of the reasons why this season has been so exciting. A lot depends on tyre pressure and temperature and all these aspects need to be taken care of.”

“Pirelli-McLaren tyres”? Post your best guesses on that one in the comments…

When Spa Was Deadly (F1 Speedwriter)

Stirling Moss: “The next thing I remember is being on my hands and knees in the dirt. I was scared and thought I was going to die. I couldn’t breathe, you see. I couldn’t see either, and that worried me, but mostly I couldn’t breathe.”

Brundle: Alonso not title dead cert (Sky)

“I think Alonso’s going to have to rely on Red Bull and McLaren and Lotus taking points off each other and he needs [Felipe] Massa to get in and help him by taking points off his main rivals.”

Is there a star at STR? (Podium Finish)

“Although neither of the two young [Toro Rosso] drivers has set the F1 world alight so far this season their predecessors, Alguersuari and Buemi, were given three seasons driving for STR before they were deemed not to be good enough. It is far too early, therefore, to decide whether Vergne and/or Ricciardo might up to scratch after just 11 races with the team.”

Is Bernie Getting Soft? (F1 Goggles)

“I?m wondering if the external hardened shell is showing signs of softening in its old age.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@Colossal-Squid’s view on the outcome of the championship:

I said after Australia that Hamilton would win the championship and I still believe that today. He?s been driving brilliantly, and the McLaren is back on form. I think Hamilton is in the position to start to dominate the second half of the season a little bit. If he starts doing what he did in 2010 ?ǣ stringing together podiums with a few wins ?ǣ he?ll have Alonso within his sights by the last few races of the season.

I want Alonso to win, and I believe he?s the best driver right now, but Hamilton and McLaren are looking too strong and too confident to ignore. As for Kimi, unfortunately I don?t think he?ll get that breakthrough win this year, while Vettel and Webber will have a continuation of fortunes from the first half of the season ?ǣ good but not enough to take it all.
@Colossal-Squid

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Malibu_GP!

On this day in F1

The Dutch Grand Prix was won by Niki Lauda on this day in 1977, putting him comfortably in the lead of the drivers’ championship.

Two of his rivals, Mario Andretti and James Hunt, collided at Tarzan, as you can see in this video:

107 comments on Kubica attends Ford World Rally test

1. BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th August 2012, 9:19

Seems Channel 4 are having some kind of problem with their site, the Susie Wolf story is now not available.

2. Armchair Expert (@armchairexpert) said on 28th August 2012, 9:25

Quote from Martin Brundle last year about Alonso passing Rosberg with DRS like he was standing still – “There is nothing other driver can do”

Enjoy the race, DRS fans, enjoy “the show” :(

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 28th August 2012, 9:56

I remember that pass. The difference in speed between Alonso and Rosberg was so great that Alonso would have made the pass without DRS, because Rosberg was slow through Eau Rouge. If I remember rightly, he was struggling there all weekend when the team was testing the car over longer runs.

• Dizzy said on 28th August 2012, 10:46

So DRS just made the pass even easier & then ensured Alson pulled a big gap which prevented Rosberg been able to try & fight back into the next corner.

Silly artificial gimmick that produced silly unexciting, dull & boring drive-by highway passes!

Did a poll on another fan message board in the summer break, 1,867 votes, 82% against DRS & only 18% in support of DRS.
        Fan opinion on the gimmick has clearly turned.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 28th August 2012, 10:53

Fan opinion on the gimmick has clearly turned.

The fan opinion never turned. Most people don’t like DRS.

But at the same time, none of the nay-sayers have come up witha viable alternative to address the problem: just how do you pass another car when the dirty air in its wake limits your ability to get close?

I guaratnee you that if DRS were removed from the sport, the people who protested it will be the first to protest the sudden lack of overtaking in the sport.

• Slr (@slr) said on 28th August 2012, 12:06

If DRS was gone, the amount of overtaking wouldn’t go back to what it was pre-2011 because we’d still have the Pirelli tyres. If DRS was gone, it wouldn’t be missed as the only passing we’d lose would be the motorway passes, which aren’t exciting to watch.

If DRS was used differently (e.g. limited number of uses during the race), then I think it would be received better in my opinion.

• Dizzy said on 28th August 2012, 18:43

We had a viable solution in place ready to be introduced in 2014 (Ground effects & less aero), However DRS ruined that & now has become the permanent solution rather than the temporary solution it was sold to us as.

There is also plenty of alternative ways to use DRS, The way they have opted to use it with gaps, detection points & zones just makes it totally artificial & a complete gimmick.

If you enjoy seeing the style of straght line highway passes which DRS produces then go watch Nascar or drag racing, F1 should be about pure racing & hard fought, real & exciting overtaking.

The argument that DRS has somehow saved F1 & made it exciting is a joke because the passing it produces certainly isn’t exciting to watch.
            The argument that without DRS the races woudl be boring is also a joke & those who spout that crap need to open there eyes to how totally boring F1 passes have become with the dumb racing system.

3. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 28th August 2012, 10:40

On the face of it, Whitmarsh’s comments seem like a bit of a slap in the face for F1 fans. However, it’s worth looking at it with an unbiased eye and trying to see the positives. If you allow yourself to do this, then they’re not hard to find.

Personal dislikes for the individual presenters notwithstanding, it’s hard to deny that the coverage provided by Sky has been second to none. By engaging directly with teams, the Sky F1 channel is given a level of access that other broadcasters can only dream of. The technical features are extremely informative and the race analysis goes to previously unfathomed depths. There can’t be any doubt that the coverage delivered by Sky is aimed squarely at the committed F1 enthusiast. On a fundamental level, Sky have set the bar very high. While I do still feel that it would be better if the F1 channel was available more cheaply, it’s hard to disagree that the standard of their coverage is helping bring F1 into the 21st century. That’s been what the sport has needed for a hell of a long time, it’s just a shame that some of the races had to disappear behind a paywall in order to make it happen.

We’re now probably in a situation where the coverage is as good as it can be while the limiting factor is still the race feeds provided by FOM. I do believe that Sky is one of the few companies which the leverage to be able to work with FOM in order to improve this, and bring it up to a level closer to what you get from other sports. What you can count on is the commitment from Sky to keep driving up standards and to maintain its coverage for the long term, with none of the advertising restrictions or political issues faced by the FtA broadcasters. While I dislike them as much as the next man for their highly questionable business ethics (the underhanded way in which the BBC handed over coverage being a prime example, and something I’ve discussed at length elsewhere), as an F1 fan looking totally objectively at the package I receive from Sky Sports F1, it’s hard to argue that Sky’s involvement isn’t giving me better value than any of the other providers.

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 28th August 2012, 13:19

I think Whitmarsh is right when he refers to people-in-front-of-TV’s not being the Holy Grail it once was. There are very, very few occasions this year where I’ve heard people complain about the situation, they seem to have managed to catch the race somehow, be it illegally or through shared SkyGo accounts.

Credit where credit is due to Sky, they have done a fantastic job. We have uninterrupted coverage on a commerical platform, the channel is branded as Sky Sports yet requires no specific subscription to that package, the coverage is longer and they broadcast GP2 and GP3 live (you had to pay for a half-baked approach from Eurosport previously). It has annoyed me when i’ve seen people slating Sky who weren’t in the know about the way the BBC messed it up.

The TV model is changing as much as anything else these does. As things become digitised it becomes easier for the broadcasters to control it and react to the public demand. Plus, with things like ‘Now TV’ it does seem that things will get easier for the television fewer to pick and choose what they want to watch.

5. BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th August 2012, 14:24

German Bild posted an Interview with Schumacher for his 300 race milestone in 2 parts.
    Part 1 – http://www.bild.de/sport/motorsport/michael-schumacher/im-interview-mein-comeback-habe-ich-keine-sekunde-bereut-25867754.bild.html
    Part 2 – http://www.bild.de/sport/motorsport/michael-schumacher/ich-habe-den-echten-wm-pokal-die-anderen-kriegen-nur-kopien-25876330.bild.html

By the way is it a glitch that the buttons for formatting disappeared for the comments @keithcollantine?
    Its a good read (German), by the way in his view Alonso is the best driver currently in the field.