Vettel appears in Melanie Fiona music video

2012 F1 season

Sebastian Vettel, Melanie Fiona, 2012Sebastian Vettel makes an appearance in the video for American R&B performer Melanie Fiona’s new song “Watch me Work”.

The two-times world champion appears alongside Fiona at the wheel of an Infiniti G37. The road car manufacturer is a sponsor of Red Bull and Vettel put his name to a special edition of the car earlier this year.

Here’s Vettel in the video:

The video was filmed in New Jersey while Vettel made a recent visit to the location of the 2013 Grand Prix of America.

“It was a great experience to shoot a music video, and certainly very different to what I?m used to,” said Vettel. “But music is without question an inspiration to many and I?m very proud to have been part of this. I think the lyrics are quite fitting to what we can all do if we put our mind to it.”

Fiona said: “It?s not often you get the chance to be driven by an F1 world champion and when the opportunity came up to have Seb driving me in the video I was like, yes please!

“This is one of my favourite songs and one that I?ve been wanting to put out for a while so to have him involved was great.”

More on the making of the video in this “behind the scenes” feature including interviews with Vettel and Fiona:

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

50 comments on Vettel appears in Melanie Fiona music video

1. Ben Everard (@beneverard) said on 30th August 2012, 9:51

Think of the fatalities that would have occurred if they’d invited Maldonado to help out…

They got off lucky they chose a world champion.

2. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 30th August 2012, 9:55

Well, that was the most bizarre and out-of-context appearance by a Formula 1 driver that I have seen since Jenson Button’s infamous elevator cameo.

• alexf1man (@alexf1man) said on 30th August 2012, 10:47

or his Head and Shoulders adverts…

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 30th August 2012, 10:54

Head and Shoulders sponsor Button. Vettel, too. So I can make an exception for those ads – they’re just doing sponsor work. Sure, Vettel is doing sponsor work here, too (Infiniti clearly paid to have one of their cars in the video), but he just shows up. There’s no explanation as to who he is or why he is in the video at all. John Q. Citizen wouldn’t know he was a Formula 1 driver unless they were told.

I also find it hilarious that the making-of video describes Vettel as being a character in the video and doing something that only he can do when 95% of what he does is not his head.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 30th August 2012, 14:24

I think it was pretty well done actually @prisoner-monkeys – he wasn’t obnoxiously present, it wasn’t about him, he just played a role in someone else’s life, apparently enjoying seeing her do her work and driving (her) around.

Not sure this was the best way to promote the brand of the car, but I thought the car looked nice; better than shouting it out that she’s being sponsored/driven by an F1 star in an Infiniti car that is his sponsor. If you want to be seen as a cool brand, that is.

• xeroxpt (@) said on 31st August 2012, 0:02

Perhaps it proves how much Vettel wanted to be in.

3. alexskev (@alexskev) said on 30th August 2012, 10:00

Nice try…. But stick to racing Seb…

4. Here’s the slightly less cringeworthy behind-the-scenes video:

5. Chaplinez (@) said on 30th August 2012, 10:10

downloading the video already.i have d album (The MF Life) tho.nice album

6. It’s like, his head wouldn’t stop nodding.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 30th August 2012, 14:20

Noticed that too @kibitzer, I think he liked it. And if you don’t know who he is, he’s just a guy who enjoys driving her around in the video, staying in the background, which to me is the way it should be – it is here song/video, and not about F1, while if you know him, it makes this a nice cameo to come with the Infiniti car in the clip.

7. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 30th August 2012, 10:14

“He’s a double World Champion. She’s a two-time Grammy-nominated artist. Together, the fight crime!

8. MW (@) said on 30th August 2012, 10:15

Meh, it’s a car ad with an F1 driver in it

9. Alex Brown (@splittimes) said on 30th August 2012, 11:16

He’s no Elio de Angelis, is he?

10. Thomas (@infi24r) said on 30th August 2012, 11:45

That is the lamest product placement video i’ve ever seen.

11. Song itself is not bad

12. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 30th August 2012, 13:49

Oh dear. That really is a shameless plug for Infiniti :D

Looks like Seb beat Lewis to a second world championship and now the music industry. Seb will be after Nicole next.

• Malibu_GP said on 30th August 2012, 15:38

@andrewtanner that’s pretty funny. What isnt so funny is that many people that are joking about Sebs involvement in a music industry related pursuit, heavily criticise LH for his attempts at whatever it is he thinks he is doing in that realm. The detractors have a field day at his expense, while leveling only light hearted jabs at Seb for something very similar. Reminds me of a lot of the vitriol aimed at My President here in the states. What is acceptable from others is somehow not acceptable from these two. Anyone, that gives this point serious thought, I think will agree. Just sayin

• @Malibu_GP Vettel is not pursuing actual involvement in the music industry. He’s doing required PR work for one of RBR’s sponsors. Not that I necessarily think Hamilton ought to be criticized, but the two situations are not comparable.

13. F1forever said on 30th August 2012, 13:50

well that explains why Vettel has made some mistakes this year and been at odds with the media

clearly he has been partying to hard with susperstars and concentrating too much on his music career

14. Girts (@girts) said on 30th August 2012, 14:23

I´ve always wanted to see F1 drivers as dancers in the video for Lady Gaga´s Alejandro. I´m not asking for much, am I?

15. PMccarthy_is_a_legend (@pmccarthy_is_a_legend) said on 30th August 2012, 15:17

A bit of a cringe worthy appearance by Seb there. He seems out of place, unfortunately I think hes got that geeky, nerdy look. Cool he aint!
    But hey, bet he had fun, so its alright!