Jerome d’Ambrosio to stand in for Grosjean at Monza

2012 Italian Grand Prix

Jerome D'Ambrosio, Spa-Francorchamps, 2012Jerome D’Ambrosio will take Romain Grosjean’s place at Lotus in the Italian Grand Prix.

Grosjean was excluded from the race after triggering a crash which eliminated himself and three other drivers at the start of the Belgian Grand Prix.

D’Ambrosio is the team’s third driver and raced for Virgin last year.

“My desire for 2012 has always been to get back into the seat of a Formula 1 car so I am grabbing this opportunity with both hands,” said D’Ambrosio. “Monza is a fantastic circuit and I can?t wait to take to the track on Friday.

“As third driver I have worked with the team at every Grand Prix, attending all the briefings and meetings that the race drivers do, so I am well prepared in this respect. Monza is a superb circuit, but it is also quite a technical one so I am not underestimating the task ahead of me.

“I want to reward the faith that the team has in me with a good haul of points from the race. I will hand the wheel back to Romain after Sunday?s race and I hope that this one showing in Italy will allow me to show my capabilities fully.”

Team principal Eric Boullier said: “When we signed Jerome as our third driver we signed a man who is highly motivated, fresh, talented and who contested the full 2011 season. We hope that this will pay dividends when he drives the car this weekend in Monza.

“We know that Jerome is well integrated into the team and that he did a good job when he drove the E20 at the Mugello test. Now he has the challenge of a Grand Prix at the challenging circuit of Monza, in a car which is capable of finishing on the podium.

“One thing is for sure, he?s half Italian and I think I know which driver the spectators will support apart from Fernando! It?s a tough task for Jerome, but we will be supporting him in every way to achieve a good result.”

2012 Italian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Italian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Lotus F1 Team/LAT

102 comments on Jerome d’Ambrosio to stand in for Grosjean at Monza

1 2 3
  1. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 4th September 2012, 10:10

Just desserts.

2. foocode (@foocode) said on 4th September 2012, 10:13

Got a source on that?

3. LucaBadoerFan (@lucabadoerfan) said on 4th September 2012, 10:32

i know it’s short notice, but i’m hopeful jerome will deliver at monza. all the best to him.

4. So who’s gonna join Will in the box for the GP2 now? :D

5. Todd (@braketurnaccelerate) said on 4th September 2012, 10:38

So what happens when d’Ambrosio is on point this weekend and has a solid points finish?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 4th September 2012, 10:41

Nothing. He scores points, and then Grosjean gets back into the car for Singapore. The only way d’Ambrosio is going to keep the seat is if he puts in some phenomenal performance that makes keeping Romain Grosjean a totally unattractive prospect, and given Grosjean’s regular points finishes, and less-regular-but-still-happening podiums, he would have to do a lot to impress enough to keep the seat.

It might help him secure a drive for 2013, though.

• Romain won’t be under any threat, we forget after his silliness on Sunday how immense he’s been this season.

And I don’t think Jerome will set the world alight.

• JimmyTheIllustratedBlindSolidSilverBeachStackapopolis III said on 4th September 2012, 23:36

I would say kimis been immense romain mediocre less speed than kimi less points more crashes.

• Todd (@braketurnaccelerate) said on 4th September 2012, 11:55

Just hypothetical “what-ifs”. I don’t expect him to do much more than mid-pack.
      Unfortunately we never really get to see what drivers who are on the outside looking in, have to offer.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 4th September 2012, 13:35

Nothing. Grosjean is Lotus’ top bet for the future anyway.

I dont’ expect d’Ambrosio to be spectacularly good, to be honest, so…

6. I’d be very surprised if Jerome does anything spectacular. As excited as he’ll be for any chance to race again, you gotta feel quite sorry for him in a way. In these modern times without testing, a one-off drive is pretty much the worst possible scenario you can find yourself in. You need so many races just to get on the pace after all that time off, and he’ll have one.

Although he’ll not be happy with it, I personally will be perfectly impressed and convinced he’s done a solid job if he can manage to qualify solidly in the midfield, around the 6th or 7th row, and score a point. That’s about what I predict.

• John H (@john-h) said on 4th September 2012, 12:42

Although a one off drive is tough, I think Monza is probably the ideal track because setting up the car is probably straightforward compared to many other circuits. Hopefully he’ll be able to keep close to Kimi’s pace and give a good account of himself.

Will certainly be more interesting if it rains though.

• Also I’m sure he won’t be concerned about putting extra mile on the engine and gearbox, after all he doesn’t have to deal with the consequences.

7. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 4th September 2012, 10:50

The sensible choice. D’Ambrosio is a decent driver who knows the team and the car, and there’s very little time to prepare another driver anyway (and they will be running the Device). Of course, it might have been more interesting for some of us fanatics if a driver like Bottas or Alguersuari had been put in the car, but I think any driver would have a hard time scoring points this Sunday at Monza. The grid is pretty close, and I think the cars are difficult to drive around low-downforce Monza anyway. Still, best of luck to Jerome.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 4th September 2012, 10:54

I love the way you spell “device” with a capital “D”.

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 4th September 2012, 11:24

Oh no they won’t, according to this. Makes some sense to me – the wing’s so small at Monza, there won’t be enough of it to stall, and so on…
      Lotus rules out racing double-DRS device at Monza

On the other hand, Jenson Button raced there in 2010 with a great big rear wing and the original F-duct.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 4th September 2012, 11:42

That makes sense. Monza is, after all, the circuit with the lowest downforce on the calendar. Running the double-DRS device does not make sense, not unless Lotus intended to run their downforce levels at a higher-than-average level the way Jenson Button did in 2010 – but they can’t. When Button did it in 2010, he had full control over the F-duct at every minute. The double-DRS device, however, can only be freely used in qualifying and in set zones in the race. Running higher levels of downforce will only do more harm than good.

8. topdowntoedown (@topdowntoedown) said on 4th September 2012, 10:57

I would love it if Custard won in Monza. :D

9. Kimi4WDC said on 4th September 2012, 11:00

This is going to be epic, whole season is pretty epic already!

All the best to all, I hope 1 sec gonna split first 12-14!!!

10. No surprises here. It was never gonna be someone else. Sure D’Ambrosio is unlikely to be in the cards for a very strong finish but, let’s face it, no one will require him to do exactly that.

Damage limitation will be in effect here for Lotus and, if D’Ambrosio manages to somehow help Raikkonen in his title pursuit, gather valuable data for the engineers regarding both the tyres, the setup for quali and race and the DDRS gimmick and on top of that score a point or two (which could be his first in F1 as well) counting towards the WCC, I think everyone here and at Lotus will agree he’s done his job very well.

Anyway, it’s gonna be very interesting to watch how he handles that Lotus in terms of pace, compared to what Raikkonen and Grosjean are generally capable of in that car.

• Jeanrien (@jeanrien) said on 4th September 2012, 15:48

@tony031r Interesting … I would add to the objectives be in front of Massa would be very ncie as Lotus and Ferrari are very close, would be great to cover Massa.
      And indeed the most important is him getting back into the car and bringing data to the team, after this is bonus. But what’s nice with this car and switch is that he can almost finish anywhere from first to last, that makes it exciting (added to the fact that I’m belgian ^^ )

11. I hope D’Ambrosio can show Marussia why they were wrong to drop him.

12. Drop Valencia! said on 4th September 2012, 11:35

Funny, in the unlikely event they are running 1-2 afte pitstops, they will want Dambro to pull over for Kimi, but with nothing to lose, no way he will!

13. carl craven said on 4th September 2012, 11:43

D’ambrosio is a driver that has not made an F1 start in a while nor probably driven an F1 car nor raced competitively for a while. If I were racing this weekend I would be even more nervous.

• Veteran said on 4th September 2012, 15:13

He is used to starting with a lot of cars around him. Never an incident on the first lap.
      1 season of d’Ambrosio: 0 first lap incidents
      half a season of Grosjean: 7 first lap incidents

14. Alfie (@alfie) said on 4th September 2012, 11:47

Such a shame that without testing, it will be hard for him to pull off anything spectacular. Here’s hoping he can at least challenge for a podium..

1 2 3