Kubica unhurt in latest rally crash

F1 Fanatic round-up

In the round-up: Robert Kubica has another rally crash but escapes injury.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Still regaining strength from 2011 accident, former F1 driver Kubica unscathed in rally crash (Washington Post)

“The Pole drove his Subaru off the road and into the trees during the San Martino di Castrozza Rally on Saturday, but organizers say Kubica and navigator Jakub Gerber escaped injury.”

McLaren line up Sauber’s Perez to replace Hamilton as contract talks hit crisis point (Daily Mail)

“McLaren’s approach to the 22-year-old Sauber driver is an indication the team are growing impatient with the negotiating strategy of Hamilton’s management, XIX Entertainment.”

Ferrari’s Felipe Massa hopes for good news soon (AGI.it)

“News about my future? I have no news yet, but results help, and I think that it won’t take long before I do.”

Frustration! (Toro Rosso)

“I was running tenth on the last lap and in line to score a point but we didn?t quite make it to the line. We had a fuel pressure problem. That?s been misreported in a few places as meaning we ran out of fuel but that wasn?t the case. There was a failure somewhere in the system, and when I gassed it out of the final corner on the last lap, nothing happened.”

Why 2014 rules make F1 more relevant (Autosport, subscription required)

Shell technology manager for Ferrari Dr Cara Tredget: “It’s generally really exciting ?ǣ you’ve got all these engineers that have had such a fixed design with minimal change for a long time; now we’ve got this freedom to actually create something new. What’s quite exciting for us is to be there from the very first stages.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

F1 Fanatic Live will be starting up shortly for the IndyCar season finale, so here’s a final thought on this year’s championship from MatK77 (@bluestar77)

I’ve also noticed a change in Will Power’s demeanour over the last half of the season.

He’s always been incredibly quick and talented, but it?s never come together for him and his career was almost derailed during the death throes of the IRL/Champ Car fight. He was always softly spoken and laid back, but I think the strain of being the almost-man is beginning to weigh on him, especially now that another championship could potentially slip away when it looked like it was his for the taking. He?s had a hard look in his eyes for months, and unfortunately he?s sounding out his frustrations within range of a microphone a little too often.

I like the guy though. An American champion would do wonders for the health of the series, but Power has had the performances this year to deserve the title and I?ll bet he?ll relax once he?s finally got the monkey off his back.

I?m looking forward to a safe, exciting battle to decide it all!
MatK77 (@bluestar77)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Jo??o Pedro CQ, handcart and F1 Badger’s Adam Milleneuve!

On this day in F1

Fifty years ago today Formula 1 returned to Monza one year on from the horror crash of 1961.

BRM were the class of the field and Graham Hill won by almost half a minute from team mate Richie Ginther. Jim Clark retired with gearbox problems early on.

Bruce McLaren kept Willy Mairesse’s Ferrari off the podium by four tenths of a second. Having endured a dreadful season, the Italian team chose not to participate in the final two rounds of the championship.

Here are some highlights from the race:

100 comments on Kubica unhurt in latest rally crash

1. F1Rollout (@f1rollout) said on 16th September 2012, 10:00

Raikkonen will partner Alonso next season. Hamilton and Rosberg will swap seats.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 16th September 2012, 10:02

Why on earth would Raikkonen go back to Ferrari, given the way he was treated last time?

• F1Rollout (@f1rollout) said on 17th September 2012, 7:33

Because its a win-win situation for both parties. Raikkonen can challenge Alonso on his good days but he is very unlikely to create problems in the team. Thats exactly what Ferrari needs.

• Valentino (@valentino) said on 16th September 2012, 10:42

Raikkonen will never drive for Ferrari again.

• Can’t see that happen. And I definitely hope it won’t happen! He’s clearly happy in Lotus, so why should he change to Ferrari, a team, whose drivers have to make loads and loads of PR-work?
      I would like to see Kimi returning to McLaren, as that would have real nostalgic value for me, but McLaren will probably replace Hamilton with a younger driver, if Hamilton really is leaving the team.

• Mclaren wont have the fastest car at the beginning of the 2013 season and that will cause Kimi not to challenge till its too late like this year with Lewis. STAY AT LOTUS Kimi!!!!

• Marco (@f1lipino) said on 16th September 2012, 21:46

I agree with HUHHII. I’ve always felt that Kimi had unfinished business at McLaren. I started watchsing F1 regularly in 2002 as a teen. Due to my intellectual level, I found the Ferrari/Schumi dominance to be an utter borefest.

I was captivated by McLaren. In my mind, they were the outsiders gunning for the establishment which was Ferrari. My F1 history was a bit sketchy.

Schumacher was an old codger to me at the time. Then Kimi started winning. I loved his attitude and candor. He was the one who really got me to follow the sport. He could have been a double WDC at McLaren. Alas, reliability.

2. Deurmat (@deurmat) said on 16th September 2012, 10:53

Who won Indy car championship?

• Ryan Hunter-Reay after a brilliant race. I’d be going out of my way to find and watch the recording of it, if I were you. :)

• MatK77 (@bluestar77) said on 16th September 2012, 14:30

Yes, it was a great race in the end. Both Power and Hunter-Reay were struggling with uncooperative cars which made every move up through the field a small battle. It all came down to the last lap, which is about as much as you can ask of any championship.

Congrats to RHR, looking forward to next season already. I’d like to see more power, Road America, Michigan, Cleveland and Pocono back on the calendar.

Oh, and thanks for the COTD, Keith!

3. if its true, that means Perez will not be replacing Felipe next year; and 2014 will see Vettel in red. but thats a huge betrayal, Ferrari brought up Perez.

and why Kubica crashed is becuz his injured hand doesnt have full mobility…Sorry but he will never be baq in F1

• chaostheory said on 16th September 2012, 17:00

If he can drive a WRC car (and win) with right hand at 50% functionality, why he can’t drive an F1 car with 85%? (If he can achieve this level of functionality, that is, and his rehabilitation has not ended)

• Nickpkr said on 16th September 2012, 20:22

Betrayal ? Montezemolo said want more experience in Perez so now he can get WDC with Mclaren and still probably need another WDC before Luca admits he maybe interested in Perez.
      Now Hamilton will crash that mercedes in frustration seeing finally a winner Mclaren car.
      For Telmex replacing Vodafone and becoming champion would be quite worth the investment. Hell I’ll switch SIM right away !

4. I personally think that Hamilton has been at mclaren for a loong time, It is a team that has nurtured him,brought him to F1,and ultimately made him a star….so i think what Hamilton needs to do is to put everything else(corporate deals etc) aside and just solely concentrate on winning WDC’s and Constructors champ’ships fr his team. But maybe Mclaren too need to show some flexibility…..maybe the issues are biggger than that, who knows? but ultimately its a win-win situation fr the fans. If he stays, we get to see one of the finest talents in a fast car..If he goes we see what sort of a team builder he can be and how he can take mercedes forward.

5. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 16th September 2012, 22:16

I am slowly becoming more convinced about the reasoning behind Hamilton to Mercedes (if only by virtue of no contract being signed with McLaren yet) but there are still a few nagging issues.

If stories earlier this year are to be believed then Mercedes aren’t happy with chucking money at a sport they’re getting little out of in the way of success. Throwing £60mil at Hamilton kinda goes against that idea but then again it does sort-of make sense if you factor in the new engine formula coming in a couple of years. That would make their previous apparent thoughts on the Mercedes F1 campaign look rather premature, unless of course it was just about putting pressure on the Concorde arrangements.

…hope that makes sense!

Perez to McLaren? Don’t see it to be honest. He doesn’t have to driver for Ferrari and I really doubt that he will have a problem staying on Ferrari’s radar for 2014 if he doesn’t make it for next year. The only possible way this can be true for me would be more about taking Perez away from Ferrari rather than specifically having him at McLaren.

6. Todd (@braketurnaccelerate) said on 17th September 2012, 22:05

I’m tired of speculating. I simply want to see SOME type of action…