Valencia dropped from provisional 2013 F1 calendar

2013 F1 calendar

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Valencia, 2012The 2013 F1 calendar will include 20 races again as New Jersey takes Valencia’s place on the schedule.

A provisional calendar revealed by Autosport is otherwise largely similar to this year’s.

Valencia and the Circuit de Catalunya are expected to enter into a race-sharing arrangement for the Spanish Grand Prix.

The races in New Jersey, Singapore and Korea are all pending confirmation for contractual reasons.

The season will once again being in Australia and finish in Brazil. The loss of the European Grand Prix means just seven races will take place within Europe.

Provisional 2013 F1 calendar

19 United States Grand Prix Circuit of the Americas November 15 – 17 Forum
20 Brazilian Grand Prix Interlagos November 22 – 24 Forum

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Williams/LAT

89 comments on Valencia dropped from provisional 2013 F1 calendar

1. I’m actually annoyed about no Valencia. Vettel has always been mega there.

2. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 21st September 2012, 10:12

Oh, so the FIA decide to drop the one circuit that produced the best dry race all season…?

3. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 21st September 2012, 10:13

I will not miss Valencia at all, but I’m still fed up with Bahrain. It’s not only about the political situation, It’s about the race being for nobody beside the royal family. No show, no fans, no racing atmosphere around it. I’m happy about both american races, but regarding the future I’m eagerly waiting for France to come back one day and I hope for another race in South America.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 21st September 2012, 10:16

@cyclops_pl

Can’t argue with any of that.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st September 2012, 10:28

I don’t think there’s really anywhere else in South America that could reasonably hold a race. From the sounds of things, Argentina was a lot of hot air, and our man on the street – Fer no.65 – reckons it was never even a little bit realistic. Otherwise, you’ve got countries wracked by poverty (like Bolivia), banana republics (like Ecuador), and countries that have reputations for being very violent places (like Colombia). Chile is the only South American nation that I can think which might be able to have a race, but I don’t know if their population or economy would be enough to sustain it.

• I agree with that sentiment @cyclops_pl, as far as France is concerned I saw Joe Saward mention the gap between Silverstone and Germany:

The most interesting gap is between Silverstone and Germany, with three weeks without a race. A gambler might suggest that this is the perfect place to slip in a 21st race, probably France, which would be nice and easy for the teams

that would be a bit of a boost!

4. matthewf1 (@) said on 21st September 2012, 10:17

As expected, although there is an annoying three-week gap between Britain and Germany. Obviously America is 1 week after Canada, instead of Valencia which was 2 weeks after, so they have dragged Britain forward a week. Not sure why they can’t move Germany forward a week as well, so it’s not back-to-back with Hungary. On the plus side the America race is when I had hoped, as I should be on holiday there at that time so would be able to go :-)

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st September 2012, 10:29

Probably because they want to give the teams and drivers a bit of a break between races, rather than having one every two weeks.

5. It’s a shame Bahrain and Korea are still on the 2013 calendar, two races that have never excited me and never will without some sort of divine miracle.

• Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 21st September 2012, 10:32

I quite like Korean circuit actually, I think it’s a good test of the cars technically. I agree about Bahrain though. At most, there should be one race in the middle east, and if we can’t have it on a good circuit let’s at least have a spectacular setting.

• mateuss (@mateuss) said on 21st September 2012, 20:34

I also can not understand the negativity towards Korea, it has a brilliant new track, look at the races and fights it has produced, like Hamilton and Webber fighting for half a lap SIDE BY SIDE!!!

It is fast and technical, half the track is in close proximity to concrete walls, but it is safe, I for one think it is brilliant, especially for a new circuit. The Indian circuit got high praise and I sort of like it as well, but it did not convince me in its inaugural GP like the Korean circuit did.

• Bahrain may not be yet. Apparently certain sponsors threatening to withdraw logos from car if they go 2013 after International PR disaster this years race. http://thejudge13.com/2012/09/21/258/

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st September 2012, 13:05

I’ll believe it when I see it. For one, I do not trust any source that is effectively “I know some people who know some people”. And secondly, if the situation in Bahrain were to stabilise, then sponsors would probably be less apprehensive about it.

• Shell didn’t take anyone on hospitality this year.

• And if you read other items in the blog it called Jake leaving the BBC the week before it was announced.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 22nd September 2012, 0:27

Correlation does not simply causation. Just because Shell did not offer hospitality this year, that does not mean that they will do the same next year.

Likewise, accurately predicting one unrelated event does not automatically mean that every article posted is correct.

• joe234 said on 24th September 2012, 9:47

Also appears this blog first reported the purchase of CVC stock by Singaporean Capital fund consortium (thursday) and also that this would significantly ease negotiations over the future of the race – it clearly did

Anyway, most stuff you say starts with broadly – “I think, followed by reasoned argument…”

What’s the diff with this article saying “I heard…” followed by what I consider very well argued reasoning.

6. United States Grand Prix and Grand Prix of America. What next: The U.S Grand Prix, The American Grand Prix & the Grand Prix of The USA all held in America???

• Dafffid (@dafffid) said on 21st September 2012, 10:27

Presuming they don’t want to call New Jersey the American Grand Prix (as it’s a name that suggests primacy and the US Grand Prix boys wouldn’t like it), I would have thought calling it the North American Grand Prix (a la European) would be a better idea.

• I however am displeased with the staging of 2 races in U.S.A – country obsessed with Indy car and Nascar – why to pack the calendar just to woo the US people which they’ll never be!!

• Why does it matter what Americans like? There are plenty fans here and it should be a great success (at least in NJ). And hopefully this will only bolster it popularity among casual fans and newcomers – which can only be good for the sport at large.

• Pelican (@pelican) said on 22nd September 2012, 2:13

Only the southern and rural parts of the US are obsessed with Nascar, and I don’t know if anyone at all is obsessed with Indy car. The northern cities and left-leaning trendy places (like new york and Austin) tend to look down on Nascar and its fans for being respectively boring and rednecks. (I’m just stating a fact, not saying it’s justified). There are a lot of people in the US who aren’t currently obsessed with any particular racing series (but are generally familiar with the idea), could probably be sold on one that’s glamorous and european*, and can afford to buy the things that F1’s sponsors sell. Plus, if F1 built up a US following, they could probably sell the tv rights for a lot more than speed is currently paying. And what other justification does F1 need to go anywhere?
          *I’m gagging just typing that.

• thatscienceguy said on 21st September 2012, 12:07

Better than having the US Grand Prix West, the Detroit Grand Prix and the (wait for it) Caesars Palace Grand Prix *cringe

• davidnotcoulthard said on 21st September 2012, 16:00

Lewis pushing his car to the finish?

• jackal40 (@jackal40) said on 21st September 2012, 17:51

I would love to see Detroit host the Detroit Grand Prix again – I always enjoyed the Belle Isle circuit. @crazy.mechanic – I’d much prefer 2 F1 races than any Nascar or Indy car. I’d be willing to bet that there are a lot of US fans who agree with me.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st September 2012, 12:59

If the race was on the west coast, they could always revive the Pacific Grand Prix name. And if it was on the eastern seaboard, then the Atlantic Grand Prix could be created. Then there’s always taking a cue from Abu Dhabi – Abu Dhabi is not a country, but rather an emirate, and fits into the wider United Arab Emirates,but the organisers wanted to to identify the race as taking place in Abu Dhabi (rather than a lesser-known emirate like Umm al-Quwain), so naming the race after a capital city might work; MotoGP do this with the Indianapolis Grand Prix and the Grand Prix of the Valencian Community. And speaking of MotoGP, they’re less fussy about countries hosting more than one race (Spain has four), so they often use regional names, like the Aragon Grand Prix or Catalan Grand Prix, so naming a race after a state is always a possibility.

So there’s plenty of opportunities.

• United States Grand Prix East (Watkins Glen) and United States Grand Prix West (Long Beach), have been used in the past.
      Also Detroit Grand Prix and Dallas Grand Prix etc..
      I guess Austin is too central to have the East or West tagged to it and probably would not want to give up the title they already had.

• It’s quite obvious it should be called the” Formula 1 World Championship” in keeping with the many other sporting World Series & Championships they hold in the USA. :)

• @kani

It’s like European GP and Spanish GP. European GP was held in GB and Germany as well.

• Just to put it in a distance perspective:

Austin, TX – New Jersey = ~2700 km / ~1700 miles

Silverstone Circuit – Istanbul Park = 2613 km / 1624 mi
      – info from

7. McLarenFanJamm (@mclarenfanjamm) said on 21st September 2012, 10:28

I don’t really understand why there are some 3 week breaks between races at the beginning of the season. Especially between Malaysia and China, so the teams have to fly all their kit and personnel out to Australia and Malaysia, to fly them back to Europe, to then fly them all back out to the far east again? Given that the FIA want to cut costs and be seen as being green, this seems pretty counter-productive… It also makes the season longer than it needs to be, I’m sure the teams would appreciate the season being 3 weeks shorter. Is there a method to the FIA’s madness? Perhaps the WMSC will change this… I doubt it.

If I were to make any amendments I like to the calender it would be the above, followed by dropping both Bahrain and Korea. Bahrain because of the reasons @cyclops_pl outlined in an above post and Korea because it is in the middle of nowhere, the infrastructure surrounding it is appalling, it’s poorly attended and I really don’t see it ever getting any better. Weren’t there rumours of the organisers trying to reduce their fees as well? Can’t see them being able to afford it for much longer. With the two extra spaces on the calender I’d bring back the French GP (I think 8 european grand prix is a good number) and either another South American GP (Argentina?) a Mexican GP or a South African GP.

Otherwise, it looks alright :P

8. Drop Valencia! said on 21st September 2012, 10:31

I may have to change my handle to “swap Bahrain for Botswana”

9. Andy G (@toothpickbandit) said on 21st September 2012, 10:38

Surely the American Grand Prix should be at the Circuit of the Americas?

10. Aussie Rod (@aussierod) said on 21st September 2012, 10:39

First time in F1 history that another continent has held more races than Europe. Asia 8 to Europe 7.

Some might say this is the changing face of F1, however considering the nationalities of the drivers and teams, the crowd attendances, the TV viewing figures and of course the history of the sport, I would say it is more of a money grab by the sports commercial rights holder.

11. Europe – 7
    Rest of the world – 13

• scribbler (@scribbler) said on 21st September 2012, 10:50

And the fact that most of the teams are still based in england is quite remarkable. Mark my words now that the coverage is PPV and the numbers are falling on the BBC Caterham, Redbull, Merc, Force india and possibly Lotus will all be moving their manufacturing bases over to Asia. This is massive economical disaster for uk manufacturing in general the BBC and UK government have a lot to answer for for lack of investement etc. I’m aware its a global sport etc but the roots are in europe and thats where it should stay IMO. Otherwise the soul of the sport which is hard to quantify will be lost and it will become just another motorsport format.

• Of course they won’t.

• Drop Valencia! said on 21st September 2012, 11:12

Mate the only reason they are in the UK is because people in the UK seem to be the best at it, (Italians do well too…) Chinese are currently very good at production/work but no so good at innovation, this may be because of thier very diciplined/strict education, maybe not, but the teams won’t move to Asia unless Asia proves overwhelingly better at innovation, so far even the Japanese have not done that.

• Leave UK because it’s PPV? I don’t get it.

• So? That’s ‘better’ than last year anyway, if you consider lots of races in F1’s homeland a bad thing.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st September 2012, 11:31

I’m not seeing your point. Are you trying to suggest that European races are being replaced by races outside Europe?

Because that’s not true. The calendar had just sixteen races as recently as 2003. In the time since, the sport has grown at a rate of one race per season, to the point where the number of races outside Europe has outnumbered the races in Europe. And some of the European races that have been dropped – like France – are actively trying to get back into the sport.

Besides, I don’t see why it’s so essential that Formula 1 limits itself to Europe. It is, after all, the Formula 1 World Championship. Not the Formula 1 European Championship.

• Once Bahrain and UAE (Mid East) are “Asian” countries it’s Europe 7 and Asia 8 (!) or alternatively:

Europe: 7 (Spain, Monaco, GB, Germany, Hungary, Belgium, Italy)
      Far East: 6 (Malaysia, China, Singapore, Japan, Korea, India)
      North America: 3 (Canada, America, USA)
      Mid East: 2 (Bahrain, Abu Dhabi)
      Oceania: 1 (Australia)
      South America: 1 (Brazil)

12. i will miss it.

13. I am very excited about the New Jersey circuit.

14. Eleanore (@leucocrystal) said on 21st September 2012, 10:51

I’m still holding out hope to make it to my first grand prix next year, and I would really, really love for that one to be the New Jersey GP. Here’s hoping it continues to look like good news on their end!

15. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 21st September 2012, 10:59

I’m still rather annoyed that the interesting tracks (Turkey, Valencia) seem to be getting dropped, all so we can have 2 races in a country that hasn’t really grasped F1 yet..

Say the USA don’t take to the Texas GP in November (Despite the fact it’ll probably be the on to decide the championship in my mind) and subsequent ticket sales aren’t good.. We then have a GP in New Jersey, where the main USP of the weekend still seems to be the backdrop rather than the actual race… I’d prefer to have races in Russia or France, where the popularity has been proven, and the focus is on the track more than the backdrop…

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st September 2012, 11:07

I think you might just be the first person to call Valencia “interesting” …

• Valencia isn’t an interesting track. That isn’t opinion, it’s fact.

Considering your argument is that the track should be the priority, it is strange that you are arguing against two of the most interesting additions to the calender in ages. They both have plenty of fast corners, overtaking spots and elevation changes.

• Todd (@braketurnaccelerate) said on 21st September 2012, 18:47

@keeleyobsessed – The USGP in Texas this year is mostly sold out already. Only a few premium seats remain in turn one and turn 15, even General Admission is sold out.. It’s been so long since we’ve had a real Grand Prix in America (hard to call Indy a Grand Prix) that no one has any idea how “strong” the American F1 fan base is. It is definitely not as strong percentage wise as UK or the rest of Europe, but to say that all Americans haven’t ‘grasped’ F1 yet is rubbish, as most would say.