Singapore confirms F1 contract extension to 2017

2013 F1 calendar

Bernie Ecclestone, Ong Beng Seng, Singapore, 2012The Singapore Grand Prix will remain on the F1 calendar for at least the next five years.

The race organisers announced a contract extension with Formula One Management which will keep the race on the calendar until the 2017 season.

A provisional 2013 F1 calendar was revealed yesterday.

The first Singapore Grand Prix was held in 2008.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® Singapore GP/Sutton

25 comments on Singapore confirms F1 contract extension to 2017

1. sam3110 (@sam3110) said on 22nd September 2012, 12:18

Good news, it’s a unique track with a proper USP as well, we need more ‘headline’ race in F1 imo

2. But still no news if the track will stay the same, no? Wasn’t it in 2010 when they announced that the track would be redesigned (maybe removing the area around T10 Singapore Sling complete and doing something with the waterfront where Crashgate occurred), but we haven’t heard anything after that. Or are they still considering moving the track somewhere out of the city center?

• Ginola14 (@ginola14) said on 22nd September 2012, 13:15

Don think it would be shifted out of the city center by any chance.

That said, a couple of modifications would be good to increase overtaking and keep things interesting.

I could see them doing perhaps a loop around the water Fountain-of-wealth round-about at Suntec City after Turn 5 and before Turn 7 but it could be too dangerous if a repeat of Webber Valencia 2010 happens and a driver launches into the air and into the water fountain itself (unless they do a safety net or something).

• Ginola14 (@ginola14) said on 22nd September 2012, 13:23

The waterfront area is rather lame, granted but is a good excuse to land bums on the 20,000 seats there and cash in on them.

I would rather ditch that segment though if i have my way.

• Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 22nd September 2012, 13:27

Yes I remember that too, but it’s been dead silence since then, but Colin Syn has just said they will be modifying the track slightly. I think the section around (and under) the grandstand is pretty awful – wish they could turn the grandstand around and have it looking inland just for this one event so that the track could go straight and make the last right angle corner under the expressway into more of a passing opportunity. As it stands, there are just too many 90 degree corners here.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd September 2012, 0:37

@kaiie – The organisers have said that they will consider changes to the circuit if they think they can solve the problem of shutting down the centre of the city for the race. They want to move (at least part of) it out to the Marina Bay Sands if they can – which is going to be tricky, because there’s not a lot out there, and assuming they want to keep using the current pit facilities, their hands are even further tied.

3. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 22nd September 2012, 12:52

I like Singapore. I really do. I like the atmosphere, I like the concept of a night race, and I particularly love the way it’s so demanding on cars and drivers; it gives the race a real character. But I still feel the circuit needs work. Desperately. There’s simply too many corners, too many chicanes. Would it really be so difficult to make a few modifications?

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 22nd September 2012, 13:22

Brill news :D I love this circuit and I’m glad to see much more of it.

5. iceshiel said on 22nd September 2012, 13:44

As a local I am elated to hear that the race was extended!

The race might be tedious to watch on TV but on track the atmosphere is immense. Yesterday, I was near the track along the fastest section and the roar of the engines was absolutely terrifying. The ground shook every time a car went by.

6. TED BELL said on 22nd September 2012, 16:20

Singapore Dissapointment

Such a magnificent location with amazing architectural structures and at night this city truely is one of the most spectacular cities anywhere on earth. Then there is that track.

How is it possible to have so BAD of a race track built within such a visually stunning location??

I think of the mistake called turn 10. This awful attempt at designing a chicane is poorly placed and it continually caught driver after driver off guard and presents a really lame approach and exit. Better placed at the initial entrance to the corner and done so by having just a single island that would force the driving line to the outside and thus become a braking point which would slow the cars down and allow them to end up single file through the skinny bridge.

Then there is the novel under the grandstands bit. Imagine paying for that ticket where you only see the cars for 5 seconds each lap. Big deal about the sound from under the stands. Very little appeal for spectators.

As for the rest of the track it sort of just becomes the same lap after lap. Similar corners and bumpy straights that restrict the cars getting that head of steam they are built for. Actually rather boring…

The race tommorrow will certainly be nothing more than a parade with the exception of those who will do some wall wacking. Only mechanical failures will juggle the final race standings

I rate this race a 10/3

10 for the city itself and 3 for a very boring race track….at least Abu Dahbi is just around the corner

7. I’d change the bit between the start line and the finish line,

disappointed that it’s been extended as I’ve never been a fan of the track

8. James (@jamesf1) said on 23rd September 2012, 0:06

Excellent news, this is a race I would love to attend and hope to do so before it’s contract is up! I have 5 more opportunities.