Rate the race: 2012 Singapore Grand Prix

2012 Singapore Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Marina Bay, 2012What did you think of the Singapore Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Singapore Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (3%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (6%)
  • 4 (8%)
  • 5 (15%)
  • 6 (22%)
  • 7 (25%)
  • 8 (13%)
  • 9 (3%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 557

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Singapore Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Singapore GP/Sutton

134 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Singapore Grand Prix

1. Estesark (@estesark) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:19

4 from me; the lowest I’ve rated any race so far this season. The crashes provided some talking points, but the ensuing safety car periods were far too long (a symptom of the new rules). We could have had a great battle between Vettel and Hamilton, but another mechanical failure deprived us of that. It also means that Alonso’s lead in the championship is a lot healthier than it should have been, which isn’t great – I want to see it as close as possible.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:20

@estesark

the ensuing safety car periods were far too long (a symptom of the new rules)

Agreed. Having unlapped drivers go around is a waste of time on tracks as long as we have in F1. It works on ovals in IndyCar, it doesn’t work here.

• Sad the number of racing laps were effectively controlled by how slow/fast the backmarkers chose to ‘catch up’, given that one or more may have no incentive to get it restarted…. Am sure it’s a fine place if you’re part of the in crowd, but glad to hear Kimi interviewed and simply saying ‘it’s a boring race’… hurray we’ve still got a driver who’s not into the ‘politically correct-speak’.

2. Yorricksfriend (@yorricksfriend) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:21

About a 7. Why is everyone saying boring? Where they watching the same race I was? The race was full of drama, battles and tension. I enjoyed the race despite being disappointed in the result. It would’ve been more interested had Hamilton’s car let him compete with Vettel.

• SimBri (@f1addict) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:50

I agree, really enjoyed it. Kimi was just saying it’s boring because you can’t overtake. Well, other people managed to, Kimi (and by no means all under DRS).

Hamilton retirement stripping us of an interesting battle and too long under safety car the only negatives for me.

• I enjoyed the race also but fail to understand why every one is moaning about Lewis not finishing. Vettel would probably have caught him any way. I thought the safety cars spoilt Jensons chances as he was on newer tyres than Vettel until the 2nd safety car. That may have developed into a better battle at the end.Alonso for the title

• Yorricksfriend (@yorricksfriend) said on 24th September 2012, 4:30

Vettel would probably have caught him any way.

Exactly! And that would’ve been great, as old Murray Walker used to say “Catching is one thing, passing is another”. Would’ve been great to see those two having a bit of a battle. We were slightly robbed of that I think.

• No, Kimi also did overtake but he said he was stuck behind Mercedes most of the race which had too much straight line speed for the Lotus to overtake.

3. 5 – The race died as a spectacle when Hamilton retired, he and Vettel were a long way ahead of everyone else on pace and we were deprived of a good battle between them at the front. After that Vettel had it completely under control with an excellent drive and Button never looked remotely like challenging. Great drive from Di Resta as well.

Feel bad for Maldonado, he kept his head down at the start and was actually driving really well but then his car breaks which was a shame. Also, Alonso has driven really well this year (exceptionally in fact) but he has had such a lot of luck, Hamilton and Mclaren are clearly the fastest package but that’s two non-scores for Lewis in the last 4 races, everytime he takes a step forward he gets put two back. Vettel is now second but I don’t think Red Bull have the fastest car, which is what they need to overhaul Alonso.

4. andae23 (@andae23) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:23

6/10 I felt that all position changes were done during the first safety car period. The top 6 on the grid finished the way they started with Hamilton and Maldonado missing. I enjoyed some battles, especially Massa somehow getting past Senna (I was jumping up and down of excitement at that moment!). Kobayashi, Hulkenberg, Perez was a bit scruffy, just like Schumacher outbraking himself. All in all: it lacked excitement.

5. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:30

5 for me. A couple of exciting moments, but nothing special besides that. Was so incredibly average I don’t really have much else to say.

6. You gave that a 10? 10 should be reserved for one off special races like Canada or China last year.

7. andae23 (@andae23) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:32

I disagree: I guess real F1 fans want to see a genuine battle for the lead, and the excitement dropped as soon as Hamilton retired with gearbox issues. From that point, Vettel won easily, Button was comfortably second, Alonso comfortably third and Di Resta comfortably fourth.

There was a reasonable amount of overtakes, but not many overtakes that weren’t decided in the actual corner itself.

8. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:32

By what possible measure was that as exciting as Valencia or Sepang?

9. 7/10. I found the race interesting and I never got bored. Hamilton and Maldonado’s retirements were very disappointing. For a track like Marina Bay, this was a good race.

10. matty55 (@matty55) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:48

It seems to take the safety car to liven up the singapore grand prix every year

11. Anonymouse said on 23rd September 2012, 15:49

Would go for a high 6. Pros: Glock/Massa/DiResta drives. Cons: Duration/Lead challenge/Lapped Cars

12. Horrible circuit=horrible race..curves, curves and more curves..who designed this pos.

13. Jonny C (@loomx92) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:52

Okay… who’s been smoking crack and rated this a 10. I was being generous when I gave it a 5. Top 4 all in the same order as they left the grid except two places higher as the front row failed to finish. Poor race from Alonso and yet still making it work.

Very unlucky for Hamilton, surely would’ve made the title fight a bit more interesting had he been able to finish. Liking his mood when he was interviewed after, fairly positive given he retired from what was pretty much a sure win. Hopefully he can have a strong end to the season and have some luck on his side for once this season.

Big up for Di Resta as well, fantastic result and a very solid weekend throughout. Kinda glad as my faith in him had been waning of recent. And a great come back drive for Massa from his first lap puncture.

14. 7.
    It was not that bad, there were some good overtakes and drama. The SC stayed out far too long, and I was surprised about the second SC. The track is long, the group was compact.

I think that the second SC ruined a little bit the race, because the two stoppers were going to struggle at the end and a three stop could have been a good strategy. Pity.

15. Pandaslap (@pandaslap) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:56

Gave it a 6. I enjoyed the part when Schumacher forgot where he was.
    Massa was brilliant.