Rate the race: 2012 Singapore Grand Prix

2012 Singapore Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Marina Bay, 2012What did you think of the Singapore Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Singapore Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (3%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (6%)
  • 4 (8%)
  • 5 (15%)
  • 6 (22%)
  • 7 (25%)
  • 8 (13%)
  • 9 (3%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 557

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Singapore Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Singapore GP/Sutton

134 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Singapore Grand Prix

1. 6/10. Start was boring, a little bit of a surprise that Maldonado lost out so badly at the start. Then nothing happened, then a lot of things happened, then THE BEST OVERTAKE OF THE YEAR, then nothing.

2. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 23rd September 2012, 17:07

When Alonso won Valencia and most of people saod the race was outstanding, I stated how dissapointed it was for me to see the leader (Vettel) fall down not in a race move, but due to car problems. I’m fan of Vettel, and despite the fact I like his result today, I didn’t like the moment when Hamilton lost his place for a technical problem again… We see races where the only way to change thee lead is when the leader’s car breaks down. Race 4/10 for me.

3. Pete_GH said on 23rd September 2012, 17:20

I gave it an 8, Lots of good, close fights, A fair bit of overtaking & a lot of tension/drama.

Loved every second of it :)

Those rating it low because Lewis retired & because of mechanical failures etc… Can’t be true, long time F1 fans & god knows what they would have rated races through the 70s/80s which were largely similar to this one.

4. I Love the Pope said on 23rd September 2012, 17:23

If you’re a Hammer fan, it was a tough day. But that is how it goes sometimes. There was plenty of other things going on, but they were more subtle. I enjoyed it!

5. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 23rd September 2012, 17:32

I actually thought it was quite a nice race. The lap is a bit too long, almost as much as Spa. I guess a lot of people would not agree with me in saying that mechanical failures liven up the action and bring in an element of unpredictibility in a sport and on a track which can tend to become horribly monotonous and predictable. A race where Lewis had started on pole and everyone finishing on pretty much the same place where they started would be called processional and calls would be made for the track to be culled from the calender. Not saying that Marina Bay is particularly brilliant as a circuit just that sometimes unforseen events happening with the best of the lot can improve the quality of a race drastically. Case in point : Valencia.

Massa had some good passes (I can safely say that as no action was taken), Di Resta raced brilliantly. Brilliant race as well for Marussia finishing ahead of a Sauber and Force India no less. To be fair I thought Vettel should have got pole with his pace the whole weekend and maybe he deserved the win as well.

On the whole as good a race as could be provided from a street circuit I guess. Some good passes, some failures and some incedents and accidents and retirements. 2 hours not too badly spent.

6. PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 23rd September 2012, 17:42

I await the day that we have a race as exciting as the race this year in Valencia to happen at this track. That really would be a spectacle. The only problem is I really don’t see it happening. I thought after Valencia that maybe this year was the year it would happen, but clearly not. Oh well, I still hope for improvements but until then, I’m not liking the sounds of another 5 years here in all honestly. Yes, it’s a spectacle for a track, but it’s boring for racing.

7. frazbox (@frazbox) said on 23rd September 2012, 17:48

is it me, or am i the only one noticing jenson not attacking the leader now in i think 3 races…. blah….. boring as usually when its jenson chasing the leader

• Yusha (@freebird78) said on 23rd September 2012, 19:19

+1 I thought I was the only one who noticed that!! Jensen could have really challenged for the lead if he had tried. He said on the radio that he dint like the Soft tyres and he loved the Super Softs as they gave him more confidence. I cant remember what tyres he was running on the last stint? Maybe thats the reason he dint push towards the end.

• I’m pretty sure that if a driver is less than five seconds behind leader and has a real chance in beating him he’ll go for it and push as much as he can. It’s not like that a one-time world champion would hold himself up deliberately.

• Well, you are most certainly not the only one! I’ve said the same thing for years. Maybe the guy is “smooth” but there’s no aggression. Even in the (shoulda been) illegal Brawn he only won from pole. Boring to watch and never producing anything extraordinary.

8. Shrieker (@shrieker) said on 23rd September 2012, 18:13

2. I don’t know why I didn’t vote 1 though. Must’ve seen a few more boring races in some 15 odd years suppose.

9. Yusha (@freebird78) said on 23rd September 2012, 19:13

5 from me. First 30 or so laps before the first safety car period were quite boring. Hamilton’s GB failure spoilt it further for me. Massa’s overtake on Senna was awesome!!! Exemplary car control. Some good overtakes towards the end of the race salvaged the race or it would be 4 at best. The latter half of the race was more lively than the first half. Alonso was massively good and knew what he had to exactly to get into the points. Every contender took points off each other and Hamilton’s crash has almost ruined his chances in the championship race. I think it would be surprising if Alonso doesnt win the WDC this year.

10. The stuff some people say, about copying GP2, remind yourselves that F1 is the pinnacle of Motorsport, GP2 are meant to look up to F1, F1 is not a show, its where the finest racing cars in the world race all around the world, theyre not there to put on a show for you, think before posting some bs

• racingfanatic96 (@racingfanatic96) said on 24th September 2012, 1:06

Sorry but you are wrong there- F1 is a show, always has and always will be. They introduced DRS and Pirelli tyres to improve the show, remember? They have spectacular venues such as Singapore to improve the show. It’s all about the show, and drawing in as much spectator interest as possible. That’s how F1 makes its money. It is an international sport, and one of the biggest in the world.
      Please think before posting some bs. Thank you.

11. For some reason, I really enjoyed this race. Maybe I was expecting it to be processional, but it definitely wasn’t. To quote Murray Walker, there was always something going on, you just need to know where to look.

12. heres how i rate the race
    every race gets a +5 to start off with
    +1 varying strategies
    +1 safety car changed the race inside out
    +1 not alot of overtakes, but the ones that happened were immense eg massa/senna

-1 race was too long

i rated the race a 7

13. Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 23rd September 2012, 19:32

5/10
    Would have been a far more interesting race if Hamilton and Maldonado hadn’t retired. I would have like to have seen what Maldonado is capable of when he’s driving well, which he seemed to be doing today, and watching Hamilton and Vettel at the front would have been preferable to the lacklustre driving of Button in the last quarter of the race.

Alonso was gifted his podium position, Vettel was gifted first place, and please…….was there really any need for the endless finger and air punching, the screaming on the team radio, and the tears on the podium Sebastian??? It wasn’t exactly a fantastic win, say what you like about Lewis, he’s more subdued when it’s a podium he feels he didn’t deserve.

Congratulations Di Resta and Force India, highlight of the day ….the only one!

14. 6 for me… it was quite boring… It was exciting until Hamilton dropped out… Alonso had a very dull performance today even though he scored a podium.
    There is still a championship battle on but it lost a lot of the “interesting” factor having Hamilton replaced with Vettel.

It makes me wonder if we´re up for another “Schumi” era type deal….

15. Helmethater said on 23rd September 2012, 21:02

+1 Great looking race for 2 hours
    +1 overtakes on track (Massa was great)
    +1 F1 rightfully appreciating Sid Watkins RIP

-2 Vettel won (self confessed Red Bull hater)
    -1 Hamilton’s retirement (Brit/underdog fan)
    -1 Schumi again showing signs that he’s past it

- at points during the first third it was quite processional but I wasn’t bored at all.

6/10