Hamilton joins Mercedes for 2013 after McLaren exit

2013 F1 season

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Monza, 2012Lewis Hamilton has confirmed his move to Mercedes in 2013.

Hamilton has signed a three-year deal with the team and will take the place of Michael Schumacher, whose future plans are yet to be announced.

Hamilton said: “It is now time for me to take on a fresh challenge and I am very excited to begin a new chapter racing for the Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team. Mercedes-Benz has such an incredible heritage in motorsport, along with a passion for winning which I share.

“Together, we can grow and rise to this new challenge. I believe that I can help steer the Silver Arrows to the top and achieve our joint ambitions of winning the world championships.”

Team principal Ross Brawn said: “The arrival of a driver of Lewis’ calibre is a testament to the standing of Mercedes-Benz in Formula One and I am proud that Lewis shares our vision and ambition for the success of the Silver Arrows.

“I believe that the combination of Lewis and Nico will be the most dynamic and exciting pairing on the grid next year, and I am looking forward to what we can achieve together.

“Over the past three years, we have been putting in place the foundations and building blocks that are needed to compete regularly for the world championship. Behind the scenes, we have assembled a team that is technically stronger, more experienced and better resourced, thanks to the support of Petronas and all of our loyal team partners.

“The potential is now there to match any other team on the grid, which is the minimum standard for a Mercedes-Benz works team. Our task is now to translate that potential into on-track performance for next season and beyond.”

Brawn thanks Schumacher for “important contribution”

Brawn praised his departing driver, saying: “On behalf of Mercedes AMG Petronas, I would first of all like to thank Michael Schumacher for the important contribution he has made to the growth of our team over the past three seasons.

“His energy and commitment have never wavered, even when results have not matched our own expectations, and we are determined to finish the 2012 season together on a high. As always, it has been a pleasure to work with Michael.”

Schumacher added: “I have had three nice years with the team which unfortunately did not go as well as we all would have wanted on the sporting side.

“I wish Lewis well and for the team to achieve the success we worked so hard for in the build-up. I would like to thank the team for their trust and all the guys for their unconditional commitment. I will now concentrate on the next races.”

Mercedes also announced three-times world champion Niki Lauda would join them as a non-executive chairman of the team’s board of directors.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image © McLaren/Hoch Zwei

211 comments on Hamilton joins Mercedes for 2013 after McLaren exit

1. Its obvious that Mclaren are in financial troubles which is why they signed Perez now who will bring many many millions from Mexico. If they had the money they’d sign Kimi.

2. maxthecat said on 28th September 2012, 12:56

Massive, Massive mistake. Leave an F1 team with a history of championships to join a car manufacturer who’ll leave F1 as soon as money becomes tight. Bad move Lewis. I used to love him, now he seems surly, miserable and someone who wants a whole team to love him and do everything for him at the expense of his team-mate.

3. WarfieldF1 (@warfieldf1) said on 28th September 2012, 12:57

Whatever the reason, it was time for a change…..Hammy Whitmarsh didnt seem to gel, Dennis said during the summer he should remember he is an employee AND strangely McLaren for whatever reason dont deliver!! GP wins yes, but no WCC since 1998 except the one they were stripped of in 2007, and only one WDC in the noughties. `Knocking on the door a lot and even the fastest car a lot, but not delivering!!………..it is time for a change.
    Britney should be worried, he will at last be shown for what he is. McLaren should be glad of the Telmex money in these tough economic times with Merc engines to pay for …….and anybody can suddenly become a “good” driver or team, just look at the performances of Vettel and RBR up until the end of 2008, or BAR Honda Brawn until 2009……..so Merc could come good, and Perez could prove to be a star in a half decent car!!…………..roll on 2013, i am excited already.

4. smudgersmith1 (@smudgersmith1) said on 28th September 2012, 13:04

Ten quid on Jenson for next season, Get Perez signed up now !!!!

5. well well, i am flabberghasted, that its happened,i have been on thee edge of my seat now foe three weeks!, yes Mclaren, have not looked after Lewis, since Button joined them, they allways praise Button whatever he does !!,and whitmarsh kind of [ho hums ]LEWIS,yet he drives his guts out for them !,the last three years they have let him down with never ending stupidity, [slow changes,fuel,break downs,and some very bad calls ] without any thought for his feelings, yet he has ploughed on relentless, doggedly hunting down car after car. what a guy !myself my family and freinds wish him well good hunting, and stay safe ,bless you Lewis, you have given us all some fantastic sundays we hope you will for many more years x

6. smudgersmith1 (@smudgersmith1) said on 28th September 2012, 13:05

Ok ok, just seen the news on Perez ;-)

7. gregwtravels (@gregwtravels) said on 28th September 2012, 13:22

Interesting that just two days ago, Lauda was saying that Hamilton would stay at McLaren. Lauda said he did not envisage changes at Ferrari or McLaren for 2013. “Hamilton will stay with McLaren,” said the three-time world champion, adding of Mercedes: “I have no idea what they are up to.”

Hmm, really didn’t have any idea what they were up to?

8. SafirXP (@) said on 28th September 2012, 13:30

As a Hamilton fan I’m disappointed and apprehensive with the move. Since 2009 McLaren has been starting the season with an average car and then improving it through the season. This year’s car, right from start, has been very competitive. But this season they’ve lost out due to inconsistencies and numerous errors. I hope Lewis finishes his McLaren stay with a win. About building up a new team and car, it’ll be the toughest challenge Lewis has ever faced. One thing I’m sure of, Ross & Norbert will manage Lewis (race strategy & off track) really well.

I’m also excited to watch Lewis compete in a non-top 3 car, no expectations & the resulting tension. Fingers crossed… :)

9. I can only pray Schumacher doesn’t announce his retirement. Logically speaking, Sauber and Williams are the best bets…then there is an outside chance for Ferrari and Lotus.

I think the Williams is faster than the Sauber. Sauber mainly been top because of Perez’s brilliant tyre management. Williams on the other hand has been around the top on pure pace as evidenced by Maldonado on a few occasions this year.

I’d love for Schumacher to move to Lotus. With Kimi, he’d form a good partnership. I think Lotus will be the team to beat next season. Ferrari would be good for nostalgia sake, but with Alonso there, no point of MSC going there really.

Here’s to hoping MSC continues racing in F1 for another year.

PS: I hated this man in his previous F1 incarnation, but now I want him to win a race (better still WDC) before he lives. Just for the sake of fairy tales.

10. As a lifelong McLaren fan, I am so pleased ! I have been wanting this for 2 or 3 years ! Take your travelling pantomime, your freakish hangers on, your crazy blinkered fanboys and your pathetic comments with you, and goodbye and good riddance. Hope Checo does well too, pleased with that too.

11. So who gets the yellow helmet at Mercedes?
    Rosberg has been using yellow for some time, and Hamilton has always had yellow (although his Singapore helmet didn’t, was this a sign?).

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 28th September 2012, 14:14

@johnh I think the designs and even the colour are far enough apart to still be discernable. Perhaps there will be some minor tweaks but I don’t see it being an issue to be honest. There is still the coloured roll hoop/camera housing remember.

12. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 28th September 2012, 14:13

Well, I’ll be honest, I’m a little shocked. The only way I could rationalise all this in my head was that Hamilton would have the confidence in Mercedes and their brand spanking new engines from 2014 onwards. I guess they will be in a better position than McLaren will be come the time but they seem to do a terrific job of being their own worst enemy when it comes to car design or race execution. I can’t see him or Mercedes doing anything spectacular next year but 2014 will really be a test, where hopefully Mercedes will have refined their race craft a little more.

13. tharris19 (@tharris19) said on 28th September 2012, 14:32

Bittersweet is the best way for me to describe this day. However, it has come to past and everyone is relieved and going on about their lives, Lewis, McLaren, Mercedes and of course us fans.
    As a fan and a father, I am glad that Lewis is leaving. I think it is time for him to experience life beyond McLaren. Whether it leads to an immediate championship or not is not important, adding to his life experience is critical.
    No other driver in any race series has had the kind of experience with a team that Lewis had with McLaren. And for those of us who are his and McLaren fans this is particularly difficult for us to take. We don’t know how we are going form allegiances next year because for the past six years all we had to do was enjoy the thrill of him driving for our team win or lose. We have seen their ups and downs their fights and their love for one another. But I suppose most of us have seen this coming for the past couple of years but were in denial, hoping that it was not true.
    But now that it has happened let’s see where it leads to for both parties. My thoughts are that it will be the best thing to happen to formula one in years. If Mercedes can provide Lewis a competitive car and McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari cars are competitive next year we will all be the better for it.

14. Very happy! It’s about time he changed environment!!

Now I can go along and order the ML63 AMG I have been withholding for long ;)

BTW, people seem not to realise that MSC has a certain sickness that does not allow him use the brand new wind tunnel at Mercedes. And who said Mercedes is a 3rd class car without seeing Mr. Hamilton drive it? And now that JB does not have any fast driver to beat, McLaren might become that 3rd class car we are talking about today. Just my 2cts.

15. Jason (@jason12) said on 28th September 2012, 15:19

I have a suspicion Mercedes started working on their 2013 car earlier than their competitors.
    Wouldn’t be suprized if they sneak up with really good car rite from the beginning of the seaon.