F1 video

It’s rare to hear F1 drivers speak candidly about their rivals. But while being interviewed at the Paddock Club during the Singapore Grand Prix weekend Lewis Hamilton gave some frank views on who are his toughest adversaries on the track.

Speaking before his contract to drive for Mercedes alongside Nico Rosberg was announced, Hamilton described his 2013 team mate as “pretty easy” to race against.

“Although he did push me off the track in Bahrain this year,” he added.

Hamilton and Rosberg previously drove together in karts during 2000, when they both raced for Team MBM.com (Mercedes-Benz McLaren).

Hamilton was less equivocal about some of his other rivals. He referred to Mark Webber, who Hamilton said “crashed into me a couple of years ago here, took me out of the race, so I have to be very careful when it came to him”.

He also admitted to taking extra care with Michael Schumacher, who “tried to put Rubens Barrichello in the wall a couple of years ago” in the 2010 Hungarian Grand Prix.

But Hamilton admitted it was a particularly thrill to take on Schumacher, who he is replacing at Mercedes next year: “The most exciting one is is if you ever have the opportunity to overtake Michael, you know, he’s a seven-time world champion, so if you get past him you think ‘wow, I just overtook a guy I was watching on TV while I was growing up’. That’s quite neat.”

2012 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Singapore Grand Prix articles

62 comments on Hamilton on racing Rosberg: “He’s pretty easy… although he did push me off the track!”

1. Nice find! Isn’t it Rosberg in the background we can hear reacting to that?

• Yud (@yud77) said on 30th September 2012, 19:37

i wonder what maldondo & massa had to say on hami…………

• PJ (@pjtierney) said on 1st October 2012, 12:51

I doubt it. If Singapore’s Paddock Club is anything like Silverstone’s, there’s a general area for everyone, and private lounges for guests of each team. I was in the Lotus one at Silverstone and Kimi, Romain, Gerome and Sir Jackie all made visits at some point over the weekend (Boullier too). The McLaren drivers would be at the McLaren lounge, I saw Paul di Resta head to the Force India one etc.

2. SubSailorFl said on 30th September 2012, 12:36

Good start to their renewed relationship.

3. mighty_mouse said on 30th September 2012, 12:56

Well, u will be hero to zero

4. Did it ever occur to anyone that this might be, y’know, banter?

Or are we all still doing that thing where we pick apart every word a driver utters for every possible glimpse of significance?

• Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 30th September 2012, 13:14

Given the amount of anodyne PR ******** they usually utter then its got the “picking apart” thing.

• Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 30th September 2012, 13:15

Surely he’s more or less joking, but it’s still noteworthy if a driver calls some other driver ‘easy’, especially if it’s his future team mate. It could be taken as simply ironic comment, if he had said that about Vettel, Räikkönen or Alonso, but Rosberg has never proved anything. Of course we don’t know the whole context (had Rosberg just joked similary about Hamilton, is it their inside joke and so on), so we should avoid taking this comment too seriously.

• He’s talking specifically about how easy it is to pass them quickly, rather than prolonged racing. I interpret this as Rosberg just being very fair and not overly defensive, particularly as I think here he was talking about passing drivers who he might lap.

Rosberg has never proved anything

Given their history prior to F1, I think Hamilton would disagree.

• I also fail to see the newsworthiness of this particular statement of his.

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 30th September 2012, 14:41

This is a blog, not a news website. And bloggers create, write content for many reasons other than bringing news. I think this is a nice, light hearted sunday afternoon article, which gives some extra insight in Hamilton. I like it.

• I’ve been misunderstood. I was referring to the fact that it’s banter, i.e. he didn’t anything serious about Rosberg. I like it too!

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 30th September 2012, 14:36

Bant.

• It is banter for sure, but for an F1 fan, isn’t it cool to hear them speak candidly? @victor Surely F1 Fanatic can, and should be more than just news.

• Bernard (@bernard) said on 30th September 2012, 17:13

Aye, it’s tabloid fodder.

5. He’s not saying he’s easy to race against… he said he’s “easy” (fair) when it comes to respecting eachothers room.

6. Drop Valencia! said on 30th September 2012, 13:21

I read Keith’s write up and thought, how dare he……. watched the video and saw he was having a bit of a gag, great vid thanks.

7. stirper said on 30th September 2012, 13:47

what did he say for Fernando Alonso ??? anybody knows??

8. And he forget how he struggle to pass Schumacher at Monza last year in a faster car and being pass by him ths season at Silverstone and that wasn’t prime Schumi

9. Racehound said on 30th September 2012, 14:50

…………well, you dont want to get stuck with the monkeys at the back!

10. Simon999 (@simon999) said on 30th September 2012, 15:59

I think it’s worth pointing out that HAM is talking about who he’s wary of when overtaking (because of increased risk of accident etc), which puts the “easy” Rosberg comment into context. I interpreted it as him being confident that they can race fairly together – don’t think it has any negative connotations.

I assume that the majority of the discussion (not recorded here) was about Maldonado being the “toughest” adversary of all!

11. He means easy as in clean to race with.

12. Kobayashi24 (@kobayashi24) said on 30th September 2012, 17:39

He should really stop talking/deactivate his Twitter. The destruction he brings upon himself when he speaks his mind is just unbelievable. We all want drivers to speak their mind, but Hamilton simply shouldn’t. Simon Fuller MUST take control of Hamilton. He doesn’t know how to act sensibly. I can list too many image-destroying examples.

• We all want drivers to speak their mind, but Hamilton simply shouldn’t

I believe that sentence just nullifies your comment really. I really like the video, it’s frank and light, nothing B-I-G as you seem to want to think.

13. sato113 (@sato113) said on 30th September 2012, 18:03

watching the video, Hamilton doesn’t mean ‘easy’ as in easy to overtake. he means ‘easy’ in the sense of easy-going, not going to hit him off track (cue reminder about Bahrain as an exception).

• Whatever is the meaning of the “easy”, it means that every single word from a public people is scrutinized beyond every rational reason. When we talk to others we do not pay so much attention to what we say, and if we have to do so, it means that every people is so sensitive that we can never say what we think, but just things that can every people to be confortable with. The day Hamilton will not say strange things, it means that he will lie to everybody, and it looks like that everyone expects that.

• Matthew ross 2000 said on 30th September 2012, 19:12

Hamilton well never match a prime schumacher!!! You are deluded fools! He is no Senna, and he well not turn mercedes into a team like Ferrari! Mercedes cant even make there tires work. Good luck Hamilton…

14. Andrew81 (@andrew81) said on 30th September 2012, 19:15

I think this is a great example of how something can be misconstrued when put into a headline and a serious article. It was clearly a light-hearted chat about other drivers and ‘easy’ was actually a positive remark, as other people have pointed out. The article looks like something out of a tabloid, which is disappointing given how great the quality usually is on this site.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 30th September 2012, 19:26

@andrew81 In the video Hamilton refers to several drivers as being difficult to race against, describes Rosberg as being less challenging (“pretty easy”) then adds the caveat of Bahrain.

Neither the article nor the headline misconstrues what Hamilton said or omits anything significant. A ‘tabloid’ headline would have been something along the lines of “Lew not worried about ‘easy’ Nico”.

• Dave (@dworsley) said on 1st October 2012, 3:57

You called this video and his comments ‘frank’. Nah, clearly a lot of us feel that is pure banter. Not frank. I would guess Andrew’s comments are because of the way you portrayed Lewis’ comments.

• Andrew81 (@andrew81) said on 1st October 2012, 8:11

In my opinion, it’s tabloid to take something said in a light-hearted way and write it in a matter-of-fact way, describing his comments as ‘candid’ in the first sentence of the article. Had I not watched the video, it would have been easy to misinterpret what he said because the tone is everything. Not once do you mention how light-hearted it is.

• Girts (@girts) said on 1st October 2012, 8:36

@Andrew81 @KeithCollantine I think it wasn’t a total ‘hahaha’ even if said in a light-hearted manner as Hamilton’s references to real incidents and the remark about fighting with Schumacher suggest.

• Andrew81 (@andrew81) said on 1st October 2012, 9:36

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘total hahaha’, but I would say it’s light-hearted enough that it is much less serious in the video than it looks written out in quotes. He’s even laughing when he mentions the Nico incident in Bahrain!

• Mike (@mike) said on 1st October 2012, 4:00

If you are not able to make the distinction then good luck to you.

Anyway, it’s pretty clear that Hamilton is having a laugh…

• Andrew81 (@andrew81) said on 1st October 2012, 8:14

Yes, if you watch the video. However, it is not clear he is having a laugh from the article alone, which is my point.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 2nd October 2012, 17:26

Personally I didn’t take the quotes in Keith’s article as ‘serious’ analysis, but more like general commentary, so I didn’t need to see the video, nor have I watched it yet, to determine that he was just speaking in generalities and as off-the-cuff remarks.

I think the lesson here @andrew81 is don’t just go by the headline or the article if there is a video as well. There is a reason Keith put the video in there.

15. artificial racer said on 30th September 2012, 20:44

It would help to hear the question that sparked his responses. Since he keeps talking about overtaking it sounds like the question was for him to talk about how easy/hard it is to overtake or lap the listed drivers. Your headline makes it sound like he’s making a general comment on Rosberg’s pace.