Hamilton: “I was nowhere” after set-up change

2012 Japanese Grand Prix

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Suzuka, 2012Lewis Hamilton said a change in set-up on his car caused the handling problems which left him languishing in ninth on the grid.

“That was just one of those days,” he said after qualifying. “We had a bit of a problem, I think it was P2, with the set-up. We had a lot of understeer. So we changed it for P3, which was much more front-end but oversteery.

“So we opted to go back – well, I opted to go back – and unfortunately it didn’t work.”

“Yeah I really felt great in the car all weekend,” he added. “It was literally just we made some set-up changes going into this session and I had everything I could to get the car to turn in, it just wouldn’t turn in any more than it was.”

He said the yellow flags due to Kimi Raikkonen’s spin were not a major problem for him: “I was nowhere anyway.”

Hamilton was downbeat on his prospects for the race: “With the pace that I have, who knows. You never know what’s going to happen in the race. The long-run pace wasn’t bad yesterday but the car… I’m going to struggle with it, but I’ll do what I can.”

2012 Japanese Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Japanese Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® McLaren/Hoch Zwei

35 comments on Hamilton: “I was nowhere” after set-up change

1. Klaas (@klaas) said on 6th October 2012, 8:15

“I was nowhere” – no, that is where you’ll be next season.

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 6th October 2012, 10:30

hahaha…

• zicasso (@zicasso) said on 6th October 2012, 11:34

Not just because I am a fan but I still have my doubts about next season. In china no one got close to Mercedes and in Monaco the retired guy got pole position… Ross iseither genius or alien. Otherwise, how can we possibly explain Button’s world title?

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 6th October 2012, 11:49

Otherwise, how can we possibly explain Button’s world title?

There was a very large loophole in the regulation, and from that grey area arised the mighty double diffuser – it was so powerful that it could transform even the average driver into a world champion.

Some say that one win, and one pole per season can’t get you championships. Britney’s dad might disagree but besides a mere win you have to be consistently there – where Mercedes aren’t at the moment (and haven’t been for a while) that is on the podium .

• zicasso (@zicasso) said on 6th October 2012, 12:17

That’s why I feel Ross/Mercedes might be prepered for 2013.
          Who knows what they have in store? Loophole or not no one was expecting Braun’s team to have that advantage, right?!

2. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 6th October 2012, 8:16

Hamilton with identical cars as Button can easily be 3-5 tenths quicker in qualy. Who knows? He could’ve taken pole. Meh, what’s happened has happened.

• Maverick232 said on 6th October 2012, 8:48

Hehe, yep!

• Ogurka said on 6th October 2012, 15:16

Pole was out of the question for Lewis:

Asked where he thought he would have ended up without the yellow flags, Lewis said: “Probably about fourth or fifth. I wasn’t quicker than Jenson. I was about three or four tenths up at that time, and I still had more time to find later on. It still wouldn’t have been spectacular for us, I was really struggling, but it definitely would have been better than ninth.”

• AdamRHolt (@adamrholt) said on 6th October 2012, 21:27

F1 Star in a reasonably priced car is testament to any difference between drivers abilities (IMO).

• vho (@) said on 7th October 2012, 17:46

@Kingshark They do have the same car, as they both drive for the same team, and there wasn’t any noticeable new parts that was on one car and not the other (like Spa). I’m presuming what you’re trying to say is that if they both had the same setup. But that can’t be a fair comparison as they both have different driving styles. Lewis prefers a slight oversteer setup and Jenson prefers a slight under steer setup. So if Lewis had the same setup as Jenson I would doubt he could run faster and vice versa.

3. andae23 (@andae23) said on 6th October 2012, 8:18

Weird that it cost him so much time. At least he’s honest about it.

4. Snafu (@snafu) said on 6th October 2012, 8:31

I’m not convinced unless I see some telemetry…

5. Jason (@jason12) said on 6th October 2012, 10:04

I guess Lewis must both be the Lead Engineer and Top Driver at McLaren…
    He might as drive with telemetry screens in the car so he can make informed decisions.

6. Eggry (@eggry) said on 6th October 2012, 10:36

I still want Hamilton to win unless it’s Alonso. However with wrong setup I can’t expect him to do it. Button may be able to.

7. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 6th October 2012, 11:49

He doesn’t have much luck when it comes to making set-up decisions, does he? Conversely Button seems to always get it right!

8. canberra said on 6th October 2012, 17:01

these sort of races happen every year for hamilton in races vettel or alonso would dominate if they were in hamiltons seat right now. suzuka last year:

9. Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 6th October 2012, 19:29

Since Hamilton announced his decision the opinions about him here are simply ludicrous.

10. TED BELL said on 6th October 2012, 21:29

When does he fall out of the current information loop at McLaren…thinking about data acc being forwarded to 2013 developement?? Must be weird for eveybody involved, you want to help out the guy but he really is the enemy now for the most part

• MrLovaLova said on 17th October 2012, 18:25

I don’t think Mercedes really need Hamilton to get information on McLaren’s 2013 car. Lest we forget, Mercedes is McLaren’s engine supplier, if they want information on their competitors car, I’m sure they could get it right ??