2012 Japanese Grand Prix championship points

11 Caterham 0
12 HRT 0

2012 Japanese Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Japanese Grand Prix articles

102 comments on 2012 Japanese Grand Prix championship points

1. Häkä said on 7th October 2012, 10:03

I hope somehow Lotus improves a lot and Kimi can really get back in the mix for the title. He came from way back in 2007 and if the updates for Korea works… ( I know I’m just dreaming)

2. James (@goodyear92) said on 7th October 2012, 10:11

It’s not looking good for Fernando Alonso, is it? He’s used up all his luck, it would seem. I’m a Hamilton supporter through and through, but I have a massive amount of respect for Alonso, and with the way he’s conducted himself the last couple of years, I’ve actually become a supporter of his as well. In my opinion, it would be a huge shame if this Championship doesn’t fall to either Hamilton or Alonso. They’ve both performed exceptionally well through the year, of course having a couple of mediocre; uninspiring performances, but have been on top of their game for almost all the races. Alonso’s been let down by his car being well off the pace for a large part of the year (not all of it — it has been the fastest, or equal fastest, on a number of occasions), and Hamilton has been let down by his team’s mistakes and reliability during a vast number of weekends. However, through it all, they’ve both appeared as the best of the lot, and I will be extremely unsatisfied if Sebastian Vettel claims another title — one that I just don’t feel he deserves as much as the other two. People can disagree all they want, but if he wins it, then it will sour what has been a fantastic year for me — one of F1’s best. Hopefully, the Red Bull’s pace at Suzuka is just a flash in the pan; the dominance maybe not extending to the next few circuits — similar to what happened with Valencia.

• sid90 (@sid90) said on 7th October 2012, 10:21

+1 agree with everything you’ve said.

• peter548 said on 7th October 2012, 10:28

TBH, I’m actually rooting for Vettel. Why? Because it seems the majority of people on this site have shown little to no respect for his talent and racing ability. It seems that race in and out that he’s either considered lucky, to have a good car or some other ridiculous excuse (DOTW votes confirm this).

The more championships he gets the better. Maybe after a few more he’ll make you feel bitter as well as sour? OR just maybe he will actually start getting the respect he deserves here?

It’s quite funny, I was actually never a Vettel fan before starting to frequent this site…

• sid90 (@sid90) said on 7th October 2012, 10:35

Why are you so interested what others feel about your favourite driver? Do you think he cares one bit what others feel about him? I don’t think so…

• peter548 said on 7th October 2012, 10:55

Good Point sid.. it’s just sad to see the Vettel hate on this site.. kinda cheapens it.. I’ve seen other sites where this is not the case..

• sid90 (@sid90) said on 7th October 2012, 11:10

I find it annoying as well, I mean a lot of my friends seem to hate him as well, I don’t know why. They tell me that he’s arrogant when I ask them, but he isn’t, I mean he’s so likeable in interviews. Well the better drivers like Seb, Lewis and Fernando get a lot of hate anyway, can’t help it. It’s pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things you know?

• F1Rollout (@f1rollout) said on 7th October 2012, 10:44

As long as Alonso and Hamilton and maybe Raikkonen are there. Vettel is unlikely to get that sort of respect. No matter high BBC put him on all time greats and overestimate him.

• peter548 said on 7th October 2012, 11:24

LOL.. I’d like to invite you to a BBQ in 2 months time..when Vettel has his 3rd Championship .. so you can tell me more about that..

• James (@goodyear92) said on 7th October 2012, 13:19

I think you’ve misunderstood me completely. I don’t think he deserves this Championship, as I think he’s largely been unimpressive in comparison to Alonso and Hamilton. He thoroughly deserves both of his other titles, though. 2010 should have been his earlier in the season, but for his car’s reliability letting him down and losing him three certain wins (Bahrain, Australia and Korea). 2011 speaks for itself, really. Yes, he had a dominant car for most; but not all of the year. However, his only point of comparison; the measure of his performances was a team mate that matched him plenty the previous year, but was nowhere close this year. I’m also in the minority that voted for him as “Driver of the Weekend” in Valencia, as I felt that was a completely inherited win on Alonso’s part (both Vettel and Grosjean retiring and Hamilton’s dreadfully slow pit stop gifting him three places he wouldn’t have had otherwise). So, when I say I don’t feel he deserves this year’s as much as Hamilton and Alonso do, it’s not a biased assessment, and nor am I hating on him as you seem to be hinting. It’s just how I feel.

• Broom (@brum55) said on 7th October 2012, 10:38

That’s why I feel the role of statistics in sport in general but definitely F1 is overplayed. Thankfully the likes Gilles or Moss but are still heavily revered despite no WDC. Senna has less than half the WDC of Schumacher yet so many people consider him greater. Vettel may end up with the greater statistics regarding poles, wins, WDCs and more but he has a long way to go for me to match Alonso or Hamilton as a genuine F1 hero/icon.

• F1Rollout (@f1rollout) said on 7th October 2012, 10:41

Its vice versa for me. I am a huge Alonso and Raikkonen fan.Used to dislike Hamilton but have found so much respect for him in last couple of years. It seems Alonso v.s Hamilton is an old thing now. and most of the Alonso fans respect Hamilton and vice versa.

3. F1Rollout (@f1rollout) said on 7th October 2012, 10:38

Whoelse thinks Mclaren should have asked Button to give place to Hamilton. I know lot of people think its not fare as Hamilton was struggling with the car. But my point of argument is that Hamilton is still inhaul t the running with fastest car. As per my calculations he is the favourite to win this championship. My point of reasoning is based on these facts:

1. Hamilton took 10 points of Alonso’s lead.
    2. Hamilton is 17 points behind Alonso under the old points system. If Raikkonen can overhaul that in 2007 in two races, how come Hamilton cannot with 5 races remaining.
    3. Mclaren is the fastest car. If Hamilton had normal qualifying he could have started P2(as he is normally couple of tenths faster than Button).We all know Redbull is quick in Suzuka. It wont be the case in next 5 races.
    4. If Grosjean can move over for Raikkonen even he has very slim chances, why cant Button give place to Hamilton.

• LuvinF1 (@luvinf1) said on 7th October 2012, 16:12

I would have thought so, but it would appear neither Button nor McLaren are interested as long as they can point to any reason at all to avoid it. Maybe Hamilton’s set-up was a bit too slow to allow the two to leap frog each other by strategically using the DRS to catch up Sauber earlier than JB could do alone. So with the scenario they chose, the Team were looking for additional WCC points. Personally, I didn’t think JB had enough time to pass KK.

• uan (@uan) said on 7th October 2012, 20:42

Hamilton was 21 seconds back while Button was .5 secs from getting a podium. So:

1. it wasn’t an option
      2. did you expect button to sit on the start/finish line for 20 seconds while Hamilton came ’round?

I can see your point if Hamilton was within a few seconds, but c’mon, really ??

• Kimi4WDC said on 8th October 2012, 2:23

It’s actually very interesting, I guess cause Button was “fighting” for 3rd. He really should have moved over for Hamilton.

4. Ah if only Hamilton hadn’t retired in Singapore, he would be on 177 points, Alonso 191 and Vettel 183. What a finish that would be!

5. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 7th October 2012, 16:58

I’d absolutely love to see Raikkonen win this championship without a single win, even if as unlikely it is it would be pretty amazing, but realistically it looks like Vettels got a great chance to get his 3rd title in a row, it seems the Red Bull is allot faster now then at the start of the year and Hamilton is in the same sort of position has Raikkonen but has a race winning car so has more of a chance, Alonso looks like his luck has really run out this time unless he can do well in the last 5 races which looks pretty hard to do, in my opinion The title will go to Vettel.

Also those Saubers are looking on par if not faster than the Ferraris at the moment but I guess we’ll all see what happens in the following races.

6. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 7th October 2012, 18:03

@kingshark OK. As a VETTEL fan this championship has become very nerve-wracking too. Remember Red Bull is faster than Ferrari, but Ferrari is more reliable. A DNF for Vettel could set things the same as before Suzuka start

7. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 7th October 2012, 18:39

This is getting awkward now as I’d like to see both of the top drivers win a championship for different reasons. A three time consecutive world champion, coming to clinch his third from behind has quite a romantic ring to it. However, Alonso doing it without the best car and just on sheer consistency and brilliant driving alone would also be fantastic.

8. Nick (@npf1) said on 8th October 2012, 2:08

As a Ferrari fan and still having 1998, 2006, 2008 and 2010 in my mind some place, if Fernando loses this, I’ll be hurt somewhat.. Fernando has been doing so well this season and despite my disbelief for ‘no updates for the last 6 races’, Ferrari need to get their act together if they want this one. Felipe did awesome on Sunday, but Fernando is going to need more than just one more win to clinch the title and the McLarens, maybe even Kimi need to get involved..

Or, you know, Magneti Marelli. ;)