Rate the race: 2012 Japanese Grand Prix

2012 Japanese Grand Prix

Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber, Suzuka, 2012What did you think of the Japanese Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (3%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (6%)
  • 5 (11%)
  • 6 (23%)
  • 7 (28%)
  • 8 (14%)
  • 9 (6%)
  • 10 (4%)

Total Voters: 541

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

Image ?é?® Sauber F1 Team

201 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Japanese Grand Prix

1. juergen (@juergen) said on 7th October 2012, 9:03

This races gets 7 because of Kamui’s defending position but I fell asleep to be honest literally on lap 20 or so…

2. Gabriel (@naylamp) said on 7th October 2012, 9:04

7 for me, only because MAS and KOB. Vettel is in another galaxy.

3. infernojim (@infernojim) said on 7th October 2012, 9:05

I love the result, but the race was average. i gave it a 6.

Great seeing alesi doing the podium interviewer job! Legend!

4. Slr (@slr) said on 7th October 2012, 9:06

Those last laps were unbearable for me, I probably would have cried if Button passed Kobayashi. The start was also really tense for me as I was worried Kobayashi would fall back at the start, instead he passed Webber.

Generally speaking I enjoyed the race and with Kobayashi racing for a podium, I was fully immersed into the race. This race was similar to Malaysia for me as I was on the edge of my seat for the Alonso-Perez battle back then, as I was for Button and Kobayashi today. 8/10

• Seriously, you were concerned with Button in a car just half a second faster and three laps to go?? Everyone knows that takes him at least a 1½ sec faster car and some 20 laps to overtake anyone….

• Slr (@slr) said on 7th October 2012, 9:23

@poul Kamui could have choked under the pressure, which is what I was worried about. I knew Button probably wasn’t going to pass him.

• ManjuBoy (@manjuboy) said on 7th October 2012, 11:20

I almost gave birth to a Baby Ruth bar in my pants when Kamui locked up going into Spoon with Jenson right on him on the last lap.

• ManjuBoy (@manjuboy) said on 7th October 2012, 11:18

Similar experience for me. Except, I did cry when Kamui barely held off Jenson to take his first podium. Doing it at Suzuka just made it sweeter.

5. racingfanatic96 (@racingfanatic96) said on 7th October 2012, 9:07

It’s race the race, not the result.

• Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 7th October 2012, 9:11

It’s about how much you enjoyed the race, and the result, atmosphere and other factors can affect how much you enjoy it.

6. dennis (@dennis) said on 7th October 2012, 9:08

Dull race for the win, but nice battles in the pack. 6 of 10, Kamui and Felipe on the podium and Webber calling Grosjean a nutcase makes it 7 out of 10.

7. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 7th October 2012, 9:08

I gave it an 8, which I’ll accept is generous, but the atmosphere around Kamui’s podium was incredible to watch, and I added 1 on for that.

Besides that, there were some stunning drives and fantastic passes throughout the field. Vettel never looked troubled, but there were some good battles which culminated in the Button and Kobayashi battle towards the end. That was thrilling to say the least!

8. frazbox (@frazbox) said on 7th October 2012, 9:08

Was gonna give it a 7, but after the trophy ceremony when Kamui started speaking Japanese on the podium…… Priceless!!!! Had to give it a 8 after seeing that

9. racingfanatic96 (@racingfanatic96) said on 7th October 2012, 9:12

From one of the most exciting races of the season (Singapore) to the most boring by a long way. Yawn.

• Estesark (@estesark) said on 7th October 2012, 9:25

I’m astonished that you thought Singapore was one of the most exciting races of the year.

• racingfanatic96 (@racingfanatic96) said on 7th October 2012, 15:00

Certainly the best proper racing F1 has seen in a long time. No need for the DRS, it was proper hard side-by-side scraps with some great moves. And the fact that 3-4 drivers were in contention for the win.

I’m astonished some people thought Singapore was boring.

10. andae23 (@andae23) said on 7th October 2012, 9:15

It might not have been the most exciting race of the year, but still I rated it 7/10. This is mainly because of Kobayashi: watching the Japanese fans get more excited every lap was impressive, and the final 15 laps I was actually keeping my fingers crossed for him! I do not understand why people are claiming the second half was boring.

11. Very happy for Kamui. Button closing in on the final laps prevented my eyelids from shutting down on me.
    Massa drove above his usual average but was not overly impressed by the way he gained his 2nd place. I would have jumped up and down for him if it was on the track and not in the pit lane.

12. You can pretty well gauge how exciting the race was by the length of the shots in the ‘race in 60 seconds’ feature.

13. Yoshisune (@yobo01) said on 7th October 2012, 9:18

6. It was quite boring, but the Japanese crowd going mad was awesome.

14. Rated it 5 from the prospect that it had a lot of room for improvement but still could have been worse. Checo’s pass on Lewis was the only impressive piece of racing I noticed.

• Were you not impressed with Hamilton and Raikkonen’s dicing through turn 1? If they were lesser drivers, those moves wouldn’t have stuck.

15. Estesark (@estesark) said on 7th October 2012, 9:21

6/10. The start was dramatic and exciting, but after that, nothing really happened. I noticed at one point, towards the end of the race, that the TV director had chosen to focus on the battle between Bruno Senna and Romain Grosjean for two or three laps. They were fighting over something like 14th place at the time. There just wasn’t much action at the “business end” of the field, and that stops me from being able to rate the race particularly highly.

Well done to all three podium finishers though, they were great. I’m going to have a hard time choosing one of them for driver of the weekend.

16. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 7th October 2012, 9:22

Boring?
    – Vettel grand chelem but not too much focus on him during race
    – the crowd going wild for Kamui
    – the Hamilton-Perez’ battle, especially in light of next years line ups (is Luca right in the end?)
    – Räikkönen-Hamilton pits exit battle
    – Button closing in on Kamui
    – Schumi fight back
    – Caterham, Ricciardo, Webber… etc etc
    9/10 for me!

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 7th October 2012, 9:25

I forget the chapters written in the historybooks of Maldonado, massa, Senna and Grosjean!

• leotef (@leotef) said on 7th October 2012, 9:28

You know, to most of non VET fans, it’s always boring when ‘do something’ VET runs away from pole to more than 10 sec gap. And me think it at the same camp.

• brny666 said on 7th October 2012, 9:40

I’m sure if Alonso/ Hamilton won in the same style people would go bonkers about how incredibly good and talented they are. Also didn’t Button do the same thing at Spa and I hardly saw as many complaints about the winner than then I do now.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 7th October 2012, 9:46

If ALO did it this year, it would be awesome. If HAM did it, it would finally give an indication McLaren are up to giving him a chance of WDC fight, until something goes wrong later in the race ;-)

• David-A (@david-a) said on 7th October 2012, 10:34

Good point brny666. Not many complaints at Hungary and Italy either.

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 10:42

I think it might have something to do with his nationality. To go from one German dominating (Schumi) to another (VET) might be a hard pill to swallow for some…

• Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 7th October 2012, 10:13

Go Vettle. Grosjean is now officially my enemy for tking out Webber.

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 7th October 2012, 14:00

I meant it as fan of The Sport: watching a Grand Chelem is always unique and luckily we got to see the rest as well. If it were HAM or ALO, I would’ve felt the same…

• Estesark (@estesark) said on 7th October 2012, 9:33

is Luca right in the end?

Maybe, but PĂ©rez is going to get the experience he needs at McLaren. I think he’ll be absolutely flying in 2014.

• notTheStig (@iamnotthestig) said on 7th October 2012, 11:41

+1 !

17. Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 9:25

6/10
    Driver of the day: Kobayashi
    Dummy of the day: Perez

• Dummy of the day: Perez

I find it hilarious how people jump on demolishing Perez after signing with McLaren, in the light of a good weekend by his team mate. He took himself out, and people are treating him more harsh than they are treating Grosjean who took someone out for the n-th time this year.

Give the guy a break. He’s only had a couple of fair rookie mistakes in his career so far, considerably less than other drivers of his generation (Grosjean, Maldonado, Senna, Kobayashi and the lot).

The fact that he spun out in a moment where he got caught off guard, coincidentaly in the same race where his team mate managed a long overdue podium doesn’t make him a bad driver, a stupid one, less deserving of that McLaren seat, a driver with less potential on and off track than Kamui or any other of that nonsense.

Kamui is a good guy and he deserves to keep his seat at Sauber but saying he’s a better driver than Perez is just unfounded.

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 10:36

Get used to it. Now that Perez has signed for a Front running team, the pressure is going to increase tenfold and whilst stupid mistakes like the one today might be tolerated at sauber, I can guarantee that McLaren won’t be so accepting or sympathetic.

• I can guarantee that McLaren won’t be so accepting or sympathetic.

Except they put up with Hamilton’s disastrous 2011 season and his heap of shenanigans for how many years? Let’s face it, everyone knows Perez will do just fine at McLaren and everyone knows he’s already done enough for Sauber this season but it’s more fun to bash him senseless online for his (fair) mistake.

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 11:18

The difference is Hamilton is a proven WDC, Perez isn’t. ;-)

• And he still gets involved in less incidents / has less self-inflicted DNFs than Lewis. And I still don’t see the logic behind treating Perez’s mistake today as such a shameful / inacceptable thing.

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 11:34

Let’s face it, everyone knows Perez will do just fine at McLaren

I don’t think being “Just fine” is good enough for a team of McLaren’s stature and success. They’re looking for a driver to fill the massive gaping hole left by Hamilton, and if Perez can’t handle the increased pressure and expectation that will inevitably land at his feet, he won’t last very long.

I genuinely believe that he made the mistake today because he felt as though he had to prove that McLaren were right to sign him. I don’t think it was a complete coincidence that he span out trying to overtake Hamilton.

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 11:43

You should interpret my posts as back handed compliments aimed squarely at Perez’s left cheek. I’m criticising him because he IS a talented driver and thus, shouldn’t be making stupid/hilarious mistakes.

• I don’t think it was a complete coincidence that he span out trying to overtake Hamilton.

On this, we agree. There was definitely added pressure there. It was visible when he first passed Hamilton, locking up, forcing the Sauber through a small gap, etc. He clearly wanted to beat Lewis fair and square on the track in an inferior car and he tried too hard but, I can’t blame him for it.

Plus, as I said in a previous comment somewhere. Lewis is by far one of the hardest adversaries one could stumble upon on the track. He closed the inside line for Perez there, knowing he will try to force a pass through. Lewis kept it mid-track and Perez just got caught off guard there and chose the outside line in order to avoid hitting Lewis. He then realised there’s a gap and tried to force the overtake when he lost the rear end of that Sauber. If it was Maldonado or Grosjean in that situation, they would have ended nose up in Hamilton’s rear wing. :)

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 12:29

I agree with this point 100%.
            Don’t get me wrong, I believe that Perez is (potentially) a future WDC and ambassador for the sport. However, if he allows the pressure to get to him and stifle his game, he’ll end up following Kovalainen’s footsteps rather than Alonso’s.

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 12:30

I agree with this point 100%.

18. leotef (@leotef) said on 7th October 2012, 9:35

Just wondering. Is this the sign of the return of the greatest driver of the world in Red Bull? Or better paraphrase, the return of the greatest car of the world? In Singapore, it seemed Red Bull had better pace over McLaren and at Suzuka, it becomes obvious that the gap is increasing… Or is Bernie pulling strings here too?

19. tmekt (@tmekt) said on 7th October 2012, 9:35

Gave it a 9.

Kobayashi is most likely going to win the DOTW contest and Vettel fans will be complaining about that.

• peter548 said on 7th October 2012, 10:45

They probably won’t care.. they stopped believing that the DOTW voting had any objective meaning a long time ago..

• Rok Dominko said on 7th October 2012, 13:21

True… DOTW voting is totaly biased and as such not worth spending time on :)

I dont want to say this is bad in any case (after all, every one of us has a favourite driver and are as such biased), just saying that to those of us, who like Vettel, DOTW voting has become one aspect of F1Fanatic blog, not worth spending time on :) For example SPA: Vettel had a superb comeback, Button was leading the entire race: DOTW Button. Today (and last time around for that matter) I guarentee you Vettel is not going to get DOTW.

• Anonymouse said on 7th October 2012, 11:04

@tmekt – thanks for the laughs. Vettel winning WDC takes precedence over DOTW :P
      PS : Check last race’s DOTW result to see how it works

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th October 2012, 13:31

I’d be interested to know if Peter548 and Rok Dominko do vote in Driver of the Weekend, as their comments above indicate they are not registered users and therefore aren’t voting, which leads me to wonder why they are complaining about the outcome of a vote they aren’t even participating in?

At any rate I don’t agree Vettel’s effort are not appreciated. Here’s one reason why:

Sebastian Vettel voted F1 Fanatic Driver of the Year

• I am commenting on driver of the weekend. Not driver of the year. I guess it would be a little too much if after a year he had last year, he wouldn’t be voted driver of the year, even for F1Fatatic blog ;)

But if you look at DOTWs last year, Vettel got only one win, despite the fact that he won 11 races (I might be mistaken by this, so don’t take my word for it).

Lastly, I do not see the logic that I have to vote for DOTW before expressing my opinion (that may be biased as well) about it. It is just somethink I think to be true.

But non the less your comment made me go and make a account so I can vote this time around :)

• F1fanNL (@) said on 7th October 2012, 23:42

I’m a registered user and I no longer vote for the DOTW poll.

There have been plenty of cases of Vettel simply not winning DOTW because he’s Vettel. Denying it is pretty much ridiculous as it’s so obvious.
        Bahrein this year? Raikkonen. Hungary this year? Hamilton. Vettel held off Raikkonen but didn’t get DOTW. Hamilton held off Raikkonen and did get DOTW.
        Valencia this year? Alonso. Singapore this year? Hamilton. Vettel retires halfway down the race after absolutely dominating the weekend, Alonso gets DOTW. Hamilton retires (not even) halfway down the race while he wasn’t even dominating but still gets DOTW.

The DOTW poll is a joke.

20. Allan Kobanawa (@allanlol86) said on 7th October 2012, 9:36

Gave it a 10 to see the Japanese and Brazilian flag on the podium.. Was so nervous when Button was closing on Kobayashi!