Rate the race: 2012 Japanese Grand Prix

2012 Japanese Grand Prix

Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber, Suzuka, 2012What did you think of the Japanese Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (3%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (6%)
  • 5 (11%)
  • 6 (23%)
  • 7 (28%)
  • 8 (14%)
  • 9 (6%)
  • 10 (5%)

Total Voters: 541

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

Image ?? Sauber F1 Team

201 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Japanese Grand Prix

1. James Hosford (@hosford90) said on 7th October 2012, 11:01

Yeah it’s all about the result.

Not at all a classic race with much particular excitement, but first corner dramatics are always exciting (as painful as they were this time as a Webber and Alonso fan), and the ending was so tense, watching Kamui just hold on.

So happy about Felipe and Kamui though.

2. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 7th October 2012, 11:57

6 from me,some good racing but it wasn’t the best.

3. Mads (@mads) said on 7th October 2012, 11:58

I think people have become used to have duels everywhere and overtakes every minute.
    I find it refreshing to have a more oldschool type race. Yes it wasn’t an overtaking mayhem, and the DRS didn’t work great, but it was all for the better I think. We had solid battles throughout the race, and it made for some excellent overtakes. Albeit few, most of them were the sort of, at the edge of your seat, overtakes.
    It could have been better. A fight for the lead would definetely have spiced things up, but I think it was a solid 7/10 still.

4. 91jb12 (@91jb12) said on 7th October 2012, 12:30

7/10
    Vettel treated us to only the 52nd Grand Chelem ever
    Some good scraps lower down
    Not the best race but the usual suspects will give it a low score because of thee result

5. hamster said on 7th October 2012, 13:38

4/10. Snooze-fest for most of the race.

So happy for Kamui!

Vettel win and Alonso out keeps the interest going. I like Vettel and his ‘cheeky rascal’ demeanor. But he does need to get more of a grip when things go wrong.

The only thing I don’t like about him winning is listening to the dreary austrian national anthem (sorry Austria its just how I feel), could they not edit it down, speed it up or put a beat to it?

Reminds me of the billy connelly sketch about national anthems. For Billy Connelly there’s not that much swearing. He is making the point about the British anthem but I feel it applies to Austria as well.

• davidnotcoulthard said on 7th October 2012, 14:37

Yeah, I think I prefer listening to God Save the Queen over the Austrian (and the German Anthem), even though I’m a Vettel fan (and I’m not British, not even European).

6. Broom (@brum55) said on 7th October 2012, 14:07

I didn’t enjoy it. I am happy to see a vintage Massa drive and delighted for Kobayashi but I enjoyed the podium ceremony with the fans chanting for Kobayashi more than the race itself.

Race 3/10

7. James (@goodyear92) said on 7th October 2012, 14:11

I think the biggest shame of this race was what happened to Webber — getting assaulted by “First-lap Nutcase”. It’s likely he would have provided some challenge to Vettel’s cruising victoy, given the pace he’s shown all weekend. It would have been the sizzle that this race was lacking throughout — barring the first lap incidents, Perez’s slightly embarrassing hairpin spin and Jenson chasing down Kobayashi in the last few laps. It’s probable that Vettel would have won regardless, but it still would have been nice to see some harrassment from Webber. However, it gets additional points from me for seeing Massa on the podium with a convincing drive to second, and Kobayashi (a driver I love) on the podium at his home race. The Japanese fans were also brilliant, chanting “Ka-mu-i!”. Plus, Lewis’ bold move on Kimi, and Kimi’s respectful driving in response, warrants an extra point.

7/10

8. Ben (@benchuiii) said on 7th October 2012, 14:38

6/10. While it was nice to see Massa and Kobayashi on the podium, apart from the start the race itself was really uneventful. As great as the circuit is the last memorable race here was when Kimi won.

9. Boring. Nothing spectacular happened for a while until it became apparent of the battle for 3rd.

10. MarcusAurelius (@marcusaurelius) said on 7th October 2012, 15:00

With a 5 it’s my lowest score ever. If it wasn’t fot Kobayashi it would have been even more boring. But that’s mostly becuase the start wiped the rest of the season out. Only a miracle can turn the rest of this season into something exciting.

11. George (@george) said on 7th October 2012, 16:09

I would have given this a 4 if it wasn’t for the Massa/Koba podium, +1 for that in an otherwise unremarkable race.

Vettel is a shoe-in for the championship now, pity for Alonso.

12. dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 7th October 2012, 16:18

5 because of the track and some daring overtakes, but the cars were mostly too strung out for any real excitement, and it was miserable seeing Alonso taken out so soon. Hooray for Kamui though!

13. 7.
    Chaotic(or say dramatic) start. Not often seeing alonso spinning out just by his own.
    There isn’t much action afterward but those few passing are some quality ones, not the usual “DRS passing”. Especially the one Hamilton take on Kimi right after pit, it really took my breath.
    Sorry to say this but Grosjean made me lol….
    Also, the last charge by button is great, and note that he had nothing on his steering wheel.
    Last, the result is great, Massa in P2 and Kobayashi on podium on his homeland.

14. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 7th October 2012, 17:58

Good race (yes , good!!!) shame that Alonso and Webber hit trouble but how good it was to see Massa back on form, Kamui’s first podium with his crowd!!! and of course Vettel (“boring”) Grand Chelem. 7/10

15. baldgye (@baldgye) said on 7th October 2012, 18:00

5/10

Was an alright race, but there was little action past the midway point, and the result kid of cemets Vettel’s 3rd title.