Rate the race: 2012 Japanese Grand Prix

2012 Japanese Grand Prix

Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber, Suzuka, 2012What did you think of the Japanese Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (3%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (6%)
  • 5 (11%)
  • 6 (23%)
  • 7 (28%)
  • 8 (14%)
  • 9 (6%)
  • 10 (5%)

Total Voters: 541

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

Image ?é?® Sauber F1 Team

201 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Japanese Grand Prix

1. Karthikeyan (@ridiculous) said on 7th October 2012, 18:09

Solid 8. It had drama – Grosejan spinning Webber. It had Karma – Alonso trying to force Kimi and retiring. Bits and pieces of action – Button and Kobayashi, Schumacher and Ricciardo, Perez and Hamilton. Humor – in taking the stewards 21 laps to give Bruno Senna a drive through. And finally a tryst with Destiny (http://en.espnf1.com/japan/motorsport/story/91044.html)
    Bonus – A Grand Chelem and a hat trick of victories for Vettel

2. nat (@nat-b) said on 7th October 2012, 18:38

Boring vettel. The season looks boring now. I dont understand why he acts like he had to race for the win. I dont remember him ever having to race for any of his 1st place trophies. Anybody to win apart from vettel and red bull because they are just too boring for F1

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 7th October 2012, 19:53

Ok, I think I disagree with pretty much every sentence here.

The season looks boring now

In contrast: I though the championship looked boring as it was, but now, with two drivers neck on neck, we’re going to have an exciting season finale!

I dont remember him ever having to race for any of his 1st place trophies.

That’s just a display of quality: he is so quick, that he doesn’t even have to deal with competitors ;)

3. vho (@) said on 7th October 2012, 18:53

@keithcollantine I’d thought I’d get a fast fact in before @andae23 bowls everyone over… This year’s race at Suzuka marked the 50th anniversary of the race track; similiarly, it was also the 50th anniversary of the running of the Bathurst 1000.

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 7th October 2012, 19:04

Decent race, mainly owing to the surprising podium (Vettel excluded). More so than the actual result though is that the drivers on the podium thoroughly deserved their places which is always indicative of a good race. I was surprised by how little the SC was out as well, so that helped.

5. UTBowler0407 (@utbowler0407) said on 7th October 2012, 19:12

The race was decent until the 1st round of pitstops. The safety car kept the field bunched together and gave some good battles for position; but after the 1st round of pitstops, it was a bit boring. I’m of course happy for Kamui and Felipe, but the last 20-30 laps were really hard to watch without dozing off. I’ll give it a 5/10, mostly for closing up the WDC and for the entertaining 1st portion of the race.

6. ufucoffee (@ufucoffee) said on 7th October 2012, 20:34

Yawn,Boring !

7. ogogogg said on 7th October 2012, 22:09

Had the misfortune of radio only, an no live timing.
    After trying to listen to legard( notice the lower case), I almost went to Sky News( not F1 or Sport) just get race updates.
    How Perez thought Hamilton would fall for that twice lol…
    As i didnt see it live an Radio Five Live was totally **** I give it zero

8. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 7th October 2012, 22:17

For some reason, people have a different perspective as to what a good F1 race is.
    I think that a good race can be one of 3 things:
    a display of domination, which leaves me in awe of the winning driver.
    a showcase in overtaking (doesn’t matter if its the leaders, or the backmarkers)
    a display of driving solidity, ie: driving under pressure and not cracking.

In short, a good F1 race for me is when, at the end, I feel total admiration and respect for a majority of the drivers.
    This is why I rated Monaco this year so highly, and also why I rated this one so highly as well:
    Vettel was amazing; he left me in awe.
    Kobayashi was excellent in getting his podium.
    HĂĽlkenberg dominated Di Resta, which left me respecting his abilities even more than I did pre-Japan.
    Massa return to form was incredibly heart-warming and interesting as well.
    Heikki Kovalainen was really battling with the midfield runners in the opening/middle stages of the race, and just watching him drive; seeing him try so hard to stay with them felt really good for me.
    The way Button was initially closing in on Kobayashi was amazing; 0.5 seconds in sector 1 is immense.
    Schumachers fight back through the field and his battle with Riccirado was truly brilliant.
    The sheer speed of the McLaren teams pitstop for Lewis was amazing; I was left in awe at the speed and co-ordination shown by the McLaren boys.
    And finally, just watching the cars drive around Suzuka is a pleasure in itself; arguably the best circuit on the calender, particurlarly with sector one is amazing, and to see the cars doing seemingly mind-bending speeds through that section is simply awe-inspiring.

9. ogogogg said on 7th October 2012, 22:26

Why no Jamie an James on Five Live during commentary?

10. taurus (@taurus) said on 7th October 2012, 23:57

The race wasnt spectacular but Lewis is mouthing off on Twitter again tonight, spicing it up a bit!

11. manatcna (@manatcna) said on 8th October 2012, 4:14

Above average (but only just) 7

12. F1_Americana (@f1americana) said on 8th October 2012, 5:33

Vettel was untouchable and unchallenged throughout, my favorite driver was clipped by turn 1 and out of the race, no overtakes for important positions happened throughout — a generous 5 from me. Kudos to Massa and Kobayashi for their fine podiums. The WDC could get rather dull from here on in unless Ferrari, Lotus, or McLaren (or their pilots) make huge leaps.

13. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 8th October 2012, 10:06

I gave it an 8 out of 10. It really shuck up the championship which is great to see this close to the end, although I would like another shake up this weekend with Vettel and Alonso scoring badly moving Raikkonen and Hamilton closer to the top 2.

The race started with absolute chaos and it had some great battles throughout the field, if you ignore Vettel that is. It was fantastic to see Kovalainen up there on genuine pace midway through the race and also Massa in 2nd. Highlight for me was the Button and Kobayashi battle which lasted almost all race. Fantastic for the Japanese fans.

14. melkurion (@melkurion) said on 8th October 2012, 13:25

Had to miss this one due to being on a fligth from rome to home during the race, first race this year I’ve missed :(

On the upside, judging by the voting, I didn’t miss anything too spectacular, but I wished I could have seen Koba on the podium ilive :(

• racingfanatic96 (@racingfanatic96) said on 8th October 2012, 15:46

Most people on here rate the drives, the track and atmosphere, and the results, instead of the race itself.

It should be a 2 at best. The dullest F1 race I have seen in a long, long time. You have missed nothing.

15. Fixy (@fixy) said on 9th October 2012, 14:47

Trying to ignore the result I gave it 7/10. The first lap madness not only was exciting on its own but also mixed the situation for most drivers, taking out Webber, Alonso and Grosjean. Although I may be biased as I support Massa it was nice to see an “underdog” succeed after so muh time. It was nice, I think, to see Massa lapping at times faster than Vettel, although it was clear he was never going to get him. Kobayashi vs. Button was a tense fight and behind them there was some decent racing. Vettel made it exciting again when he set the fastest lap on the penultimate lap.