Double DRS boosts Red Bull’s speed at Suzuka

F1 Fanatic round-up

Mark Webber, Red Bull, Suzuka, 2012In the round-up: A new Double DRS upgrade is believed to be behind Red Bull’s performance boost at Suzuka.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Red Bull RB8 – ‘double-DRS’ device (F1)

“Believed to have been introduced in Singapore, but only noticed this weekend in Suzuka, Adrian Newey’s new solution is activated by the movement of the flap when the DRS… is operated and has been spotted thanks to the bigger surface of bodywork used to fix the flap.”

Felipe Massa expected to stay at Ferrari for 2013 (BBC)

“Ferrari are expected to retain Felipe Massa for 2013 following his second place in the Japanese Grand Prix.”

Grosjean ‘moving on’ from new shunt (Autosport)

Hamilton criticises ‘crazy’ Perez (Reuters)

“‘I thought that he was going to do a crazy manoeuvre, which he did,’ said Hamilton, who finished fifth, of the first attempt. ‘Then (later) when he was behind me I saw it coming again so I moved a little to the inside, thinking that he was going to go up the inside so he couldn’t get by, and he just flew down the outside of me. So very interesting…’”

Title a long way off – Vettel (ESPN)

“We don’t know what will happen at the next race. It’s good to take the points today and let’s try to take the points at the next race. It’s a long season with some crazy racing.”

Sky Sports Formula 1 2012 – Tooned – Episode 7: The Rising Son (YouTube)

F1: Di Resta Ready For Upward Move (Speed)

“There?s always pressure on. It?s been a good in-team battle all year. At the end of the day, they?ll make decisions for reasons which maybe you won?t fully understand, reasons that might lead other ways.”

The subtle art of joining a new team (The Independent)

David Tremayne: “If Button was minded to, and if Hamilton was inclined to listen, the older Briton could give him some valuable advice on how to fit into a new milieu.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Sympathhy for Romain Grosjean was in short supply yesterday so here’s some from @Yobo01:

I?m really sorry for Grosjean. He is throwing away his career. He is very, very fast, but he keeps doing stupid mistakes. I watched the interview and he was clearly sorry, he clearly didn?t want to take any risks. I think that he gets confused too much. It?s like he can?t think about two things at the same time at the start. Today he was focused on Perez but he seemed to forget that there were cars everywhere.

I don?t know, I hope that he will learn eventually. It would be a shame if he doesn?t.
@Yobo01

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Rob Tsintas!

On this day in F1

Jackie Stewart won the United States Grand Prix at Watkins Glen 40 years ago today, completing the 1972 season with back-to-back wins following his triumph at Mosport two weeks earlier.

Francois Cevert made it a Tyrrell one-two followed by Denny Hulme’s McLaren, while world champion Emerson Fittipaldi ended the season with two no-scores.

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

99 comments on Double DRS boosts Red Bull’s speed at Suzuka

1. Lord Stig (@lord-stig) said on 8th October 2012, 0:05

Lewis seems to be getting him self in some trouble again.

Just noticed @jensonbutton unfollowed, thats a shame. After 3 years as teammates, I thought we respected one another but clearly he doesn’t.— Lewis Hamilton (@LewisHamilton) October 7, 2012

• Yes, I guess his phone must not have been working when this all came up about a week ago, and Jenson Button clarified that he’d never been following him in the first place!

• Stephen Craig said on 8th October 2012, 0:16

Er, how will that get him into trouble. They’re not at school.

• Tyler (@tdog) said on 8th October 2012, 0:18

JB can’t bear to see any more team telemetry?

On a serious note, if what Lewis says is true, that’s a little lacking in class from Jenson. Mind you, LH starting a potential war of words with his teammate on twitter is not so smart either.

That’s the problem with twitter. It allows you to broadcast to the world the first thing that pops into your head. Which in Hamilton’s case, frequently seems to be something he’d be better off keeping to himself.

• dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 8th October 2012, 9:17

@tdog Perhaps the brain dump broadcast issue is precisely why JB didn’t follow LH in the first place? Why is it lacking in class? Is the internet generation composed entirely of lemmings compelled to follow each other? I ask merely because I’m old.

• James (@) said on 9th October 2012, 4:33

…and that’s not proper “mind management”.

• ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 8th October 2012, 0:19

Walao wei, it’s just Twitter Lewis! Don’t take social media developments too seriously :)

• Lord Stig (@lord-stig) said on 8th October 2012, 0:24

And the retraction…

My bad, just found out Jenson never followed me. Don’t blame him! Need to be on Twitter more!— Lewis Hamilton (@LewisHamilton) October 7, 2012

• woogle said on 8th October 2012, 0:28

jenson never followed him to start with.

• CarsVsChildren (@carsvschildren) said on 8th October 2012, 1:12

But he follows Perez, de la Rosa, Rosberg, Webber, Paffett, and a bunch of other people connected to McLaren….

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 8th October 2012, 1:52

Maybe since he sees Hamilton almost every day, he doesn’t need to follow him on Twitter.

Or maybe he doesn’t think Hamilton has anyting interesting to say. After all, Hamilton just threw a wobbly because he thought Button had stopped following him …

Or maybe he’s just not particularly close to Hamilton.

• coefficient (@coefficient) said on 8th October 2012, 9:55

I think JB follows these people because they have all been involved with his charity fund raising activities in the past. I don’t think it’s wise to try and stir up a furore between JB and LH because I don’t believe they really have a problem with each other. Sure, on a professional level they can have differences but that’s work, away from the track I’m sure they get on easily.

• woogle said on 8th October 2012, 11:55

and they were all on twitter long b4 lewis

• Cornflakes (@cornflakes) said on 8th October 2012, 1:17

People are already kicking off on twitter about it. He doesn’t help himself does he?

• sumedh said on 8th October 2012, 4:18

Just saw his tweet and his retraction to it! When will Hamilton learn!!

• Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 8th October 2012, 7:24

What? You mean Lewis and Jenson aren’t best friends? That was all McLaren PR guff? Who knew?

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 8th October 2012, 8:21

OK, who else thought this was very funny?

Lewis, you have to get off Twitter man…

• Tyler (@tdog) said on 8th October 2012, 8:29

Most of us knew they weren’t best friends.

What we didn’t know, or at least I didn’t, was that even after Telemetrygate, Hamilton’s capacity for narcissistic, petulant, thoughtless behaviour is unaffected.

Mr Hamilton, if you (think) you have a problem with a team mate, be a man and have a face to face conversation with him. Don’t go bleating to the world on social media.

• Your last line is the exact problem I have with social media such as Twitter and Facebook in general. They can be great if used properly, but people become much braver when sitting behind a keyboard for some strange reason, and say things they would never dream/dare of saying to someone face to face.

Hamilton should really take himself off Twitter if he isn’t mature enough to use it without making mistakes like this, I think it just shows he really is still quite an immature man. Hopefully the Mercedes move will be the making of him in this respect.

• You`re spot on, giving Hamilton access and let him speak his mind is like giving a 10-year-old weapons of mass destruction. Hamilton has been living in a bubble where everybody have been telling him how fantastic he is too long. He`s disconnected from reality and I think we have his management team to thank for that.

It`s wrong to blame Hamilton though, what chances did he really have to grow into a reflected and balanced person. He was put in the spotlight in 2007 as a humble hard working young man. Then everyone and their mother started building him up to be the greatest ever. Every single young man I know would have lost touch with reality in that situation. The only ones that tried to keep him on the ground was McLaren and his father (though his father didn`t manage to keep his own feet on the ground). Hamiltons ego went into overdrive, he even fired his dad. His new management team don`t give a damn about Hamilton, to them he`s a commodity to be exploited. Overexploited some would say.

And the pressure he`s under every single day must be very hard to live with. He was hailed as the second coming of Christ when he arrived on the scene and has had only moderate success since then. Give the kid a break, then he might get back to his old self and perform better than he does today.

• Boomerang said on 8th October 2012, 9:31

I respected Lewis so much at the beggining of his Career. He was modest, focused and flawless racing Driver, apart from being exeptionally talented Driver as well. Regretably, neither of these qualities, except his Talent, are retained in his contemporary personality. What a prat he’s become…

• Cristian (@cristian) said on 8th October 2012, 11:53

Perhaps these tweets indicate that one of the reasons Hamilton left McLaren is Jenson Button.

• James (@) said on 9th October 2012, 4:52

This is all quite sad really, it’s almost like poor little Louie is headed down the road of the “child star”…

Hopefully Mercedes will finally humble the little monster.

Social Media though, who really needs it, the ego involved, Twitter – “This is what I’m thinking or doing at this exact moment& ii thought you should know”, & Facebook – “this is an edited version of who I am & how cool I am & how many friends I have & what I think is cool & what I’m thinking & doing right now, because I thought you should know… because I’m cool. (and I forgot how to have a conversation).”

2. woogle said on 8th October 2012, 0:11

if redbull keep up the pace vettel is champ again

3. ogogogg said on 8th October 2012, 0:16

Regarding Lewis, I see people are drawing virtual handbags already ;-)

4. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 8th October 2012, 0:22

Was Raikkonen thinking in the sea, or the mountains?

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 8th October 2012, 1:15

hahaha… Zen philosophy is not what Alonso needs to win this championship. Notice he doesn’t say “congrats to Felipe”, it was Senna!!!

• bananarama (@bananarama) said on 8th October 2012, 1:25

When he had a bad weekend but his teammate did well, I always heard from Alonso that he acknowledges how the other one did very well and that thats good for the team. Obviously I don’t know if he means it or not, but at least I remember him doing it (on the rare occasions necessary). In contrast I haven’t heard that from Vettel for example and I get a lot of Vettel on every station here in Germany, but maybe its just my mind going off when I hear Vettel stuff here (it’s just too much, too often, too overly positive, but I guess every country has someone like that in the media).

• Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 8th October 2012, 2:42

@omarr-pepper

In the post race interview, Fernando was very pragmatic as he usually is. He did say that Felipe drove a “perfect race”. However, he was realistic is stating that that wasnt reflective of the car’s true performance, it was circumstantial once again.

It was a good driver from Felipe in my opinion, nothing flash about, he took his opportunity and made the most of it. Had KK and JB not got stuck behind Vernge after the pitstops, things could have turned out differently. Good pit strategy from Ferrari and Felipe put the hammer down when he needed to.

If Felipe can get him self into these positions more often over the last 5 races, he can probably cement his place for next year. I would still prefer Ferrari to drop him.

• Dave (@davea86) said on 8th October 2012, 6:49

@omarr-pepper Alonso did congratulate Felipe on twitter.

Gran carrera de @Felipe1Massa !! Fantástico podio! Great race by @Felipe1Massa !! Fantastic podium!

Also he did it 5 hours before Senna did.

• magon4 (@magon4) said on 8th October 2012, 9:08

he did congratulate Massa right after the race via twitter, to be fair.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 8th October 2012, 15:59

@magon4 he did leave him and the team halfway-through the race when Felipe, who, let’s not forget, handed him a precious win in 2010, was having his best race in over 40 starts. Not as kind as he wants to look like in interviews. He always praises Felipe (for a personal interest) but once he finally gets his job done he isn’t there to congratulate him. He’s free to do what he wants but that wasn’t a nice jesture.

5. ogogogg said on 8th October 2012, 0:30

Alonso getting all Zen an stuff…….Ohhmmmm.

6. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 8th October 2012, 0:49

“Mark [Webber] came to see me after the race and was obviously not happy, but I apologised and we have to move on.”

Am I the only one who thikns Grosjean should have moved on after Spa? After all, that was the point of the one-race ban.

I can’t help but feel that Grosjean’s days are numbered. One more first-lap incident, and I think he’ll have thrown away his career.

• dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 8th October 2012, 9:10

On the Sky post-race coverage yesterday there was a lovely interchange between Brundle and Johnny Herbert. Herbert was obviously fuming at Grosjean’s continued first lap idiocies.

Brundle (trying to take a more sympathetic point of view): So, imagine he’s our boy driving for us, what would you be saying to him now?
      Herbert: Bye bye!

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 9th October 2012, 13:47

@dirgegirl Yeah, I saw that too. To be honest, I think most people are being harsh on Grosjean here. He was obviously trying to be cautious, not careless, but unfortunately he still got caught out.

There’s a lot to be said for 24 cars trying to squeeze around one corner in less than 5s, we shouldn’t forget that.

• dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 9th October 2012, 15:22

@andrewtanner – I know what you mean – but I question my motives! Grosjean seems very personable, and makes all the right, contrite noises, and meekly says sorry and that he will try to improve, and I find myself wanting to forgive him his transgressions more than I would, say, Maldonado. I did French and Spanish at uni, loved the former and hated the latter, so perhaps that’s where my stupid prejudice comes from.

I thought that people, including the stewards, were harsh with Grosjean after Spa, and I take your point that 1st corner at Suzuka is something I couldn’t even do on a games console, but this is two 1st lap crashes in two races for him in a season of 1st lap incidents involving championship contenders, so I can understand why the drivers (and F1 Fanatics) are getting stroppy!

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 9th October 2012, 18:52

@dirgegirl Arguably though, his antics are spicing up the season a bit! Keeping Alonso at bay (with the aid of Raikkonen). I can’t get behind the idea that their should be any difference between championship contenders and non-championship contenders though. I didn’t like the FIA’s reasoning behind Grosjeans punishment following Spa.

• dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 9th October 2012, 19:04

@andrewtanner Ah but that’s where my anti-Spanish theory falls down! I’d much rather Alonso won the championship than Vettel – even though I like the German language better than Spanish. I am a classic irrational F1 fan, I’m afraid. Vettel seems like a good bloke and is a brilliant driver but I just don’t want Grosjean to gift him the WDC for a third time on the trot.

And although I can see your point about it not mattering whether the crashee is in the running for the WDC… I still feel it’s a shame for people still in with a mathematical chance to have their race ruined before they even finished a lap, through no fault of their own or their team’s.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 10th October 2012, 13:15

@dirgegirl I don’t think anyone can ‘gift’ you a WDC! I see what your’re getting at but I don’t buy it at all. It’s a long season :P

• Hairs (@hairs) said on 8th October 2012, 12:29

Actually, the rest of the grid don’t “have” to move on Romain, nor should they if they think someone in their midst is a safety liability.

• Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 8th October 2012, 13:15

It’s a shame, because when he makes it round the first lap or so, Grosjean is every bit as fast as Raikkonen, sometimes faster. But that’s not worth much if you’re involved in first-lap incidents half the time.

Not all the incidents have been his fault, to be sure. But that kind of reputation is hard to shake off, even if he calms down in the future. Hopefully he will have a clean end to the season and can secure his position for next year.

7. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 8th October 2012, 1:17

About the double DRS, that could have helped Vettel get the pole, but on the race he was 1st, so I don’t see how he could have used it yesterday.
    I mean, Vettel’s victory was great by any point of view. That’s as simple as cold numbers show he is just 4 points behind Alonso now, accident-wise but that happens in F1.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 8th October 2012, 2:02

Good point Omar. Maybe it helped in qualifying but DRS never seemed to help Webber make a pass in the race.

• Melchior (@melchior) said on 8th October 2012, 11:12

I’m thinking that the condition of Webber’s tyres had something to do with his lack of overtaking if you consider that his race strategy got tossed out the window when Grosjean crashed into him on the first lap and forced him,effectively, to run a two stop strategy.

• bag0 (@bag0) said on 8th October 2012, 6:46

@omarr-pepper
      The thing is, it helps at the whole weekend, qualy and race are not disjoint events. The RBs could be as fast (or faster) with more wing, than the others with less wing, thus having more downforce in the race, going faster in S1, S2, and throught 130R, plus taking better care of their tyres. It is a very clever way of doing things, as you dont have to compromise your race pace to qualify fast.

It is simmilar to changing ride height between the sessions (not allowed), because now the cars have to qualify with higher than optimal ride height to avoid floor damage in the race (+120-150Kg fuel).

• @omarr-pepper – for sure it helps the more in qualifying than in the race (in actual fact I doubt he ever got to use it in the race except when overtaking back markers) but he can control the race from the front brilliantly.
      Adrian and the team are simply allowing their driver to do what he does best!

8. ogogogg said on 8th October 2012, 1:58

I dont do twitter I think its a waste of electrons, but how can Lewis see that Jenson unfollowed him when he didnt follow him to start with, hacked account maybe?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 8th October 2012, 3:24

He probably just assumed that Button had been following him all along, then got upset when he found Button wasn’t following him at all, wrongfully assuming that Button had consciously chosen to unsubsrcibe from his updates.

• Dave (@davea86) said on 8th October 2012, 6:55

Lewis probably looked at his followers list and saw that Jenson wasn’t there. He then assumed that Jenson followed him at some point so he must have unfollowed him to get off the list. I guess it’s an easy mistake to make although I’m surprised at the way he went on the attack with his response.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 8th October 2012, 7:11

The fact he never did aint cool either, is it?

However, LH doesn’t need to react to that.

• dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 8th October 2012, 9:13

@jcost So there’s some sort of moral imperative to follow all your acquaintances and colleagues on Twitter, is there? Wouldn’t that be completely hypocritical and a massive waste of time if you’re not interested in endless streams of non-relevant microblogging?

• JCost (@jcost) said on 8th October 2012, 15:07

@dirgegirl

There are many things(I) we do because it looks good before others, it’s not moral, it’s social. Some will argue that we should be real every second of our lives but c’mon, that’s life.

I repeat, Hamilton should not react to that.

• woogle said on 8th October 2012, 12:02

the papers

• leotef (@leotef) said on 8th October 2012, 14:30

Yesterday there was a news article on this, something titled ” Jensen unfollow LH and begin to follow Perez”. It was reading a bit agitating to at least a guy to be unfollowed I felt. My guess is LH saw it and sort of responded instantly.
      But that article was definitely fishy. For any matured person with a working brain might have checked first of all, and even it turned out true, had to think a better way of handling it, i.e., leaving it as it is. Why bark at something which is not at all worthy of? Some may bark at you, then let them bark. Why care? This tweet is one shiny example of stupidity man.

• sebsronnie (@sebsronnie) said on 8th October 2012, 15:12

In all fairness, this unfollowing story was started by a respected journalist on Twitter the very day Hamilton’s move was formally announced. And it was re-tweeted over and over again by so many F1 persons that Jenson eventually refuted it on Twitter explaining that he’d never followed him in the first place. During all this, it seems Lewis had taken a break from Twitter (he later said he’d had a phone problem). So I guess he was trawling through the tweets from that time and reacted to the story like many of us would. I fail to see why this is such a big deal – nothing he said was particularly nasty or shocking. Of course, being Lewis, everyone has to bleat how immature he is blah blah blah

9. Eggry (@eggry) said on 8th October 2012, 2:23

Haha, positive thinking of Alonso always surprises me. Good luck for him in Korea.

10. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 8th October 2012, 5:43

Funny they used an “Oscar y Juan Galvez” lookalike track in that Tooned episode :P.

11. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 8th October 2012, 8:19

Hopefully, Japan was just for Red Bull like China was for Mercedes. Now, they have double DRS, I’m hoping that soon their car will become as quick and a tyre-eater like the Mercedes. :D

• @kingshark – Red Bull’s doesn’t duct air to the front wing though, so the return of downforce is quicker after the DRS is closed. Mercedes’ system ducts air over the front wing and so downforce takes a few tenths to return which makes the car unstable in braking (hence lock-ups are more likely etc.). Also, their car is a tyre-eater by nature.
      Adrian is a clever guy, he wouldn’t sacrifice the tyres for a small gain in qualifying. I think Vettel rather demonstrated that the car isn’t a tyre eater by running longer than everyone else in both tyre change windows yet was still able to conserve enough life to set the fastest lap.
      It’s always good to be hopeful though.

12. necrodethmortem (@necrodethmortem) said on 8th October 2012, 9:57

I don’t dare to go to the Bathurst thread on the forum in case I might see something I don’t want to see, so I’ll ask here: when will the race be uploaded to the Youtube channel?

P.S. don’t try anything funny in the replies, I won’t believe you anyway.

13. Hairs (@hairs) said on 8th October 2012, 10:01

Some truly weird commentary from Alonso on twitter there. That sort of philosophizing is fairly meaningless when your battle is “whose car is fastest”.

Also nice to see everyone who was taken in by the Jenson “unfollow” story last week having a go at Lewis for being taken in by it while catching up on his tweets… where several journalists and endless fans included him on @mentions about it.

“we want drivers to react like humans” scream the mob. “OMG he spoke his mind what a tit” screams the mob…

That said, I would adore Lewis on a “speak your brains” segment on The Day Today.

14. Pedro Costa (@pnunocosta) said on 8th October 2012, 10:07

Hamilton is completely out of himself. He looks lost and without hope. He didn´t like to see Perez overtake him, in a place that it´s relativelly common to overtake and classified the manouvre as “crazy”. He should be more gracious on defeat, he knows the chapionship is lost and the reaction is without thinking.
    His relationship with Button got cold after Spa due to another non-thinking action, the so called telemetrygate. Button and Mclaren felt betrayed and this is something hard to forget or forgive.
    And now “la piéce de la résistance”, attacking Button for unfollowing him on Twitter – only one thing can be said – Hamilton, grow up!

15. Jason (@jason12) said on 8th October 2012, 10:12

Adriaan Newey is indeed a genius.
    He seems to have perfected something Merc have been struggling with since the beginning of the season. Lotus is also struggling with theirs. McLaren, well…
    Yet no-one could even notice it at Singapore.

• vjanik said on 8th October 2012, 13:32

Merc dont even have the system on their car. they’re looking at it but havent introduced it yet.

You are talking about the passive system.

Its just a shame that any innovation and cool idea is immediately banned by the FIA (including the DDRS). Its becoming a joke now. The F-Duct a cool, simple and cost effective way of making your car go faster is banned. The hot blown diffuser is banned allegedly to save fuel. The cold blown diffuser is banned (at least attempted by exhaust positioning) for god knows what reason. The Lotus brake system, is banned even though Lotus asked the FIA for clarification prior investing resources to develop it and getting a green light. The double diffuser is banned, etc, etc. Can you think of any innovation in the last 5 years that wasnt subsequently banned?