Double DRS boosts Red Bull’s speed at Suzuka

F1 Fanatic round-up

Mark Webber, Red Bull, Suzuka, 2012In the round-up: A new Double DRS upgrade is believed to be behind Red Bull’s performance boost at Suzuka.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Red Bull RB8 – ‘double-DRS’ device (F1)

“Believed to have been introduced in Singapore, but only noticed this weekend in Suzuka, Adrian Newey’s new solution is activated by the movement of the flap when the DRS… is operated and has been spotted thanks to the bigger surface of bodywork used to fix the flap.”

Felipe Massa expected to stay at Ferrari for 2013 (BBC)

“Ferrari are expected to retain Felipe Massa for 2013 following his second place in the Japanese Grand Prix.”

Grosjean ‘moving on’ from new shunt (Autosport)

Mark [Webber] came to see me after the race and was obviously not happy, but I apologised and we have to move on.”

Hamilton criticises ‘crazy’ Perez (Reuters)

“‘I thought that he was going to do a crazy manoeuvre, which he did,’ said Hamilton, who finished fifth, of the first attempt. ‘Then (later) when he was behind me I saw it coming again so I moved a little to the inside, thinking that he was going to go up the inside so he couldn’t get by, and he just flew down the outside of me. So very interesting…’”

Title a long way off – Vettel (ESPN)

“We don’t know what will happen at the next race. It’s good to take the points today and let’s try to take the points at the next race. It’s a long season with some crazy racing.”

Sky Sports Formula 1 2012 – Tooned – Episode 7: The Rising Son (YouTube)

F1: Di Resta Ready For Upward Move (Speed)

“There?s always pressure on. It?s been a good in-team battle all year. At the end of the day, they?ll make decisions for reasons which maybe you won?t fully understand, reasons that might lead other ways.”

The subtle art of joining a new team (The Independent)

David Tremayne: “If Button was minded to, and if Hamilton was inclined to listen, the older Briton could give him some valuable advice on how to fit into a new milieu.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Sympathhy for Romain Grosjean was in short supply yesterday so here’s some from @Yobo01:

I?m really sorry for Grosjean. He is throwing away his career. He is very, very fast, but he keeps doing stupid mistakes. I watched the interview and he was clearly sorry, he clearly didn?t want to take any risks. I think that he gets confused too much. It?s like he can?t think about two things at the same time at the start. Today he was focused on Perez but he seemed to forget that there were cars everywhere.

I don?t know, I hope that he will learn eventually. It would be a shame if he doesn?t.
@Yobo01

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Rob Tsintas!

On this day in F1

Jackie Stewart won the United States Grand Prix at Watkins Glen 40 years ago today, completing the 1972 season with back-to-back wins following his triumph at Mosport two weeks earlier.

Francois Cevert made it a Tyrrell one-two followed by Denny Hulme’s McLaren, while world champion Emerson Fittipaldi ended the season with two no-scores.

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

99 comments on Double DRS boosts Red Bull’s speed at Suzuka

1. Girts (@girts) said on 8th October 2012, 10:17

I agree with the COTD. Moreover, I feel the same way about Maldonado as well and I’d rather see more Grosjeans and Maldonados in F1 than more Ricciardos and Vergnes.

• Hairs (@hairs) said on 8th October 2012, 12:23

Why? The two torro rosso drivers are picking up results in a slower car than either rogro or pastor have access to, so I don’t see how it can be on the basis of talent…

• katederby (@katederby) said on 8th October 2012, 12:46

+1 It’s clear the STR is the 4th slowest car on the grid, by some way short of the 5th and 6th

• Girts (@girts) said on 8th October 2012, 14:25

@Hairs I hope they both prove me wrong next year but it seems that Vergne is unable to get the most out of the car in qualifying, while Ricciardo usually underperforms on Sunday. As far as I know, experts aren’t very impressed by their performance as well (if I remember correctly, Vergne has the lowest average Autosport rating this year so far) and Red Bull obviously don’t consider either of them to be good enough to be able to replace Webber, who isn’t exactly a Vettel himself.

I’m not saying they’re useless but I believe that Grosjean and Maldonado have more potential to fight for further wins and podiums in the future and I just prefer crash-prone and quick drivers over ‘careful’ and average ones.

• Hairs (@hairs) said on 8th October 2012, 20:11

A driver who doesn’t finish the race isn’t quick, or a racer. He’s unclassified. He’s a liability to himself and others.

I think Maldonado and Grosjean have shown all the potential they have – neither have the extra capacity to understand what is going around them, which makes them lesser drivers in my opinion.

2. Is it just me who thinks there’s serious tension between Hamilton and Perez after their moves got a proper announcement?

It’s obvious Perez had something to prove to Lewis (or McLaren, to be more precise) in those two instances on track and Hamilton’s statements make it all kind of mutual now.

I get Perez, to be honest. He’s young, rather inexperienced, lacks patience once in a while and he’s got a huge morale boost from signing with McLaren. It’s normal for him to feel overconfident now and go above the line a bit, especially towards the guy he’s going to replace and who he’s expected to be better than. This time he blew it, next time he’ll be more careful.

Lewis should know that. He’s been in Perez’s situation a number of times in his career. I don’t think there’s enough to justify Hamilton’s aggressive response to Checo’s moves there. The first time around, it just was a good overtaking maneouver, a bit forced but that’s it. Second time around, Checo blew it and took himself out. I don’t see how that could have incomodated Hamilton and definitely not enough incentive to call one crazy or reckless.

This is shaping up into a teenage romance story where Hamilton’s highschool sweetheart – McLaren, just dumped him for someone else. Lewis still has some feelings for them / feels betrayed and he’s taking it out on the new guy. Perez in this case.

• Skett (@skett) said on 8th October 2012, 13:12

Whilst I’d agree with most of what you say, I wouldn’t call the first overtake a good overtaking manoeuvre, it was from a seriously long way back and if Hamilton hadn’t seen him coming could have resulted in them coming together

• if Hamilton hadn’t seen him coming could have resulted in them coming together

The same can be said about Schumacher on Di Resta. The thing is they didn’t come together and that’s what makes it a decent overtake (especially compared to the general lack of such maneouvers at Suzuka). Sure, none of these two were “Hakkinen on Schumacher using Zonta” material but nothing wrong with them either. :)

• Skett (@skett) said on 8th October 2012, 21:00

I would class Schumachers move as slightly different since it was in the DRS zone and was far less last minute, Di Resta would have seen it coming as opposed to Hamilton who had to react. I would definitely call it a much better move than the kamikaze dive of Perez.

Don’t get me wrong, Perez performed a clean pass (and many people would class a clean pass as a good pass) but it certainly took a certain level of awareness by the other driver.

• kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 9th October 2012, 20:25

How on earth has his response been “aggresive”?? It seems there is a never ending supply of people who will jump and froth at the mouth at anything Lewis does, says, thinks, or does NOT do, say or think, and twist it into the worst thing ever done by a human being? Why is there this level of vitriol? ALL the time? Does it hint at something more subconcious? You really have to start wondering>

3. Jason (@jason12) said on 8th October 2012, 14:05

@cristian

Red Bull also had a new front wing in Suzuka, which appeared to have been evolved to be sure to pass the more stringent FIA flexing tests, which were introduced to address rumoured rotation of the front wing.

Quote from: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/10/red-bull-double-drs-revealed-in-suzuka/
    Is it possible Red Bull made this change because they knew their wings was breaking the rules?
    Newey, always bending the rules; and getting away with it :D

4. vho (@) said on 8th October 2012, 16:11

Seb Loeb… 9 WDCs… truly awesome… why is it that he never got into F1? He won in a works car and in a privateer… they’ll have to take a wheel off him as a handicap soon.

5. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 9th October 2012, 3:12

What you know may be that robot was Perez???????