Rate the race: 2012 Korean Grand Prix

2012 Korean Grand Prix

Start, Korea, 2012What did you think of the Korean Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Korean Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (4%)
  • 2 (3%)
  • 3 (9%)
  • 4 (16%)
  • 5 (25%)
  • 6 (21%)
  • 7 (13%)
  • 8 (6%)
  • 9 (2%)
  • 10 (1%)

Total Voters: 577

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 Korean Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Korean Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Korean GP/Sutton

214 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Korean Grand Prix

1. Bob (@bobthevulcan) said on 14th October 2012, 12:38

Not sure why, but the whole race seemed awfully lackluster. Vettel slid into the lead and was never really under threat for the remainder of the race. There were some interesting battles up and down the midfield, of course, especially Raikkonen and Hamilton, and the performances of Williams, Toro Rosso and Force India. The closing stages were awful – all I saw was a pack of cars circulating around, coasting to the finish to conserve tires. Overall, a solid 4/10.

2. I voted a six. It was an intriguing, but not necessarily exciting race, and I liked seeing it set up a mini-championship for the last few rounds.

3. Hairs (@hairs) said on 14th October 2012, 12:54

The most exciting thing about the whole race was the oblivious podium lady who stuck around to ask Vettel questions while Herbert had the mike. Funny, and the first bit of enthusiasm from anyone all weekend. Also another advantage for having the post race interviews on the podium rather than a sterile room full of bored journos.

4. Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 14th October 2012, 12:56

Some good on-track battles, just a pity all of them were meaningless. 6/10, would have been much better if there were battles at the front.

5. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 14th October 2012, 13:26

5/10 from me. My lowest of the season. Very little happened! Still, good that The Hulk managed to improve on his qualifying (just) and somehow Petrov kept Kovalainen behind him.

6. taurus (@taurus) said on 14th October 2012, 13:29

Absolute garbage. Everything thats wrong with F1 in one dull race. 3/10.

7. Howard (@howard) said on 14th October 2012, 13:42

If this was in a Euro country people would be raving about.
    Monaco had 0 NIL racing or overtaking and people still rate it.
    Massive LOL.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 14th October 2012, 13:56

@howard I find the idea that races held in European countries automatically get higher ratings a bit bizarre. Particularly given that the European Grand Prix has (this year aside) usually been one of the lowest-rated races.

• xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 14th October 2012, 14:00

I rate Monaco, because it was extremely tense; I believe that overtaking doesn’t necessarily mean an awesome race.
      Instead, I try to look beyond the obvious, and to see the skill involved in driving at Monaco, in light drizzle, on slicks.
      That was awesome.

• Howard (@howard) said on 14th October 2012, 14:10

There was plenty of skills today.

• xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 14th October 2012, 14:23

so i gave it an 8

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 14th October 2012, 15:27

What do you rate the actual good races, out of interest? Honestly?

• xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 14th October 2012, 15:39

I rate the really brilliant ones either 9 or 10; korea was actually quite good, espescially in comparison to races in years gone past.
            And for me, overtaking isnt the only factor for a good race, and neither is a good battle for the lead; i think that a race is good when it’s either:
            Eventful
            There’s a lot of scrapping for positions
            A situation like Monaco, where one slip-up will mean a lot of dropped positions

Basically, I love to view the drivers massive skills behind the wheel, which is why wet races are so endearing to me.
            Is that clear enough, as I tend to waffle on?

• xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 14th October 2012, 15:42

This sums it up:
            There are never boring F1 races. You get processional races, but they’re never boring @ecwdanselby

• John H (@john-h) said on 14th October 2012, 21:11

When presented with a scale of 1-10, I think it’s safe to assume a relative judgement.

For instance, comparing this race to mowing my lawn I’d give it a 10. Comparing it to other F1 races however, I give it a 4.

• gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 14th October 2012, 15:02

Very true. But i remember having voted something like 4 to this year’s Monaco GP, so at least i am consistent here.

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 14th October 2012, 15:29

There’s not another Monaco, mate. It’s the history, prestige, and the fact the track is 100% illegal (it does not comply with today’s rulebook, that’s for sure).

F1 cars should not be getting that close to barriers going that fast. It’s the spectacle. I saw it in person in 2009 and it’s incredible. It just doesn’t look real.

That’s why there’s a bit of an allowance for Monaco.

8. zippyone (@zippyone) said on 14th October 2012, 14:29

Really quite boring – I voted 5. Nothing much happened.

9. Estesark (@estesark) said on 14th October 2012, 14:32

This was as boring as Singapore, if not worse. I was watching with my girlfriend and said to her, after Vettel had taken the lead at the first corner, “that’s the race over”. And it was. Predictable races are seldom exciting, and this was as predictable as they come. I can only rate it 3/10.

10. gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 14th October 2012, 15:07

That’s a 5 for me. I enjoyed the 1st quarter of the race, although my 2 favourite drivers were gone by turn 3 (KK, JB).

I can’t find any real quality to that track: 3 straights in a row, and then a collection of tedious turns, nothing more. I quite like the last turn, that’s all.

India left me a better taste last year. I am curious to see it again. I already miss Turkey !

11. ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 14th October 2012, 15:25

5 from me.

Anyone giving it an 8+ is crazy. Sorry that isn’t constructive, but you need to watch more races if you think that’s the case.

Struggled to stay awake. Vettel leading out of turn 1 is a race killer.

I know people are saying ‘but what about the rest of the field?’. We’ve kinda been spoilt. I want battles (or at LEAST a challenger) for 1st place!

As PrisonerMonkey said, the yellow effectively killed the race. Why it took about 10 laps to remove a stricken car is beyond me. It meant Vettel got his usual comfortable lead and would not be touched.

Have to laugh at the fake tension created at the end. Like the Vet was ever going to bust a tyre on the final lap lol Maybe Bernie had a word in Rocky’s (sp?) ear…

• Dizzy said on 14th October 2012, 22:26

Been watching F1 since the early 70s, Been watching some lower category races even longer.

Going by todays standards 90% of races through the 70s/80s would be getting scores of 1 or 2 as they wer every similar to today but with a lot more dnf’s.

12. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 14th October 2012, 16:00

3/10 for me

13. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 14th October 2012, 16:13

I gave it a 7.

It wasn’t the most exciting, and by around lap 30 I knew barring disaster the top 4 were locked in place. However I found myself really enjoying several battles throughout the field, and Hamilton was as entertaining as ever even though he was going backwards. His fights with Kimi and Grosjean/Hulkenberg were particular highlights for me.

14. Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooring

15. Broom (@brum55) said on 14th October 2012, 17:03

5/10 – great battles bar the front. Great drives by Massa, Hulk, Lewis all things considering, and Vergne. The anticipation of action keep me intrigued.