Teams win key concession over F1 governance

F1 Fanatic round-up

Start, Korean Grand Prix, 2012In the round-up: The FIA and Bernie Ecclestone back down over plans to reduce the representation of F1 teams in the FIA’s rule-making body.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Teams protect stake in future rules (Autosport)

“Ecclestone had originally been keen to revise the F1 Commission to an 18-man body, made up of six team representatives, six FIA members and six members from Formula One Management. The presence of just six teams – which were going to be Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren, Mercedes, Williams and Lotus ?ǣ meant that other outfits would effectively be left with no say in how rules were proposed to the FIA.”

Hamilton backs Alonso for title (ESPN)

“His team haven’t made one mistake. He hasn’t always been the fastest but he has been up there. He has driven like the champion he is all year and I feel as though he is a three-time world champion.”

Vettel not yet a great – Sir Jackie Stewart (BBC)

“If you’ve got a superior car, it’s relatively easy to win the championship. To really show you’re one of the greatest, you have to deliver when you haven’t got the best machinery.”

Central London Grand Prix off, says Ecclestone (City AM)

“I don?t think the government would be prepared to put the required amount of money behind it.”

How Massa rediscovered his mojo (Sky)

Mark Hughes: “It’s early days yet, and no-one is seriously expecting Massa to challenge Alonso for the leadership of the team. But the Felipe Massa we’ve seen in the last two races can comfortably justify his inclusion in the team, something that could not have been said of his season up to that point.”

F1 diary: Korean Grand Prix (The Telegraph)

“Two years ago I wrote that the Korean GP could become one of the season’s best events, although I suspect that won’t happen because its promise remains resolutely untapped. The original promoter claimed the venue would become the heart of a spectacular new urban development, with a picturesque marina to one side, but it still looks like a track built on wasteland next to a shipyard.”

Japanese Grand Prix video edit (F1)

Keep an eye out for a botched pit stop by HRT which wasn’t shown during the race.

Tweets

Comment of the day

The news of Felipe Massa’s contract extension at Ferrari did not win with much approval in the comments. Here’s @Dot_com’s view:

I feel like Alonso is the only winner here.

Massa will continue to lose any remaining credibility, getting trounced into number two status for another year.

Ferrari will most likely not feature in the constructors’ battle next year because only one driver will be scoring serious points.

And the fans are robbed of seeing some new talent in the seat that Massa should have been forced to vacate a long time ago.
@Dot_com

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Harris!

On this day in F1

Following the end of the 2002 season Pedro de la Rosa made it clear he hoped he would not be sharing a berth at Jaguar with Eddie Irvine in 2003.

“Working with Irvine has been the worst part of the season,” said de la Rosa. “He’s very inconsistent with his decisions and it’s very hard to work with him, especially when things are going wrong.”

He was not to be disappointed – the 2002 Japanese Grand Prix turned out to be Irvine’s last.

Image ?? Korean GP/Sutton

108 comments on Teams win key concession over F1 governance

1. Alonso is one of the limited number of F1 drivers Lewis follows on twitter. I did my research as to who was exactly in Jenson’s twitter circles, and who was in Lewis’. The latter was mostly concerned about hip-hop and music personalities.

2. It’s funny, now that Red Bull is getting back on form everyone seems to think that it’s always been like that in 2012.

3. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 17th October 2012, 13:07

As if a Central London Grand Prix was ever truly on in the first place. He’s was flip-flopping between the idea of that and that awful looking circuit around the Stratford Olympic site anyway.

4. I Love the Pope said on 17th October 2012, 13:13

Vettel is better than Alonso.

5. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 17th October 2012, 13:57

I can’t agree with Jackie Stewart here, simply because a great driver isn’t just one that has phenomenal results in inferior machinery (though that is impressive), but also a driver that can make the most of the machinery he has at the time. I’m not a big Vettel fan, but I sure do respect him. He may have have had the best car for the past 2 and a half to three years, but during 2011 onwards, he has done his utmost to make the most of it.

It’s the same with 2009 and Brawn. Many people discredit Button’s Championship, but the fact remains that he made the most of the car he had at the beginning of the season.

Sure, it’s impressive for someone like Alonso to be leading the Championship this year, despite not having the best car, but a driver also needs to be able to make the most of having the best car when that comes around. (Though I’ve gone slightly off-topic) This is why I believe Alonso is the best driver on the grid currently, because he has shown both sides of this. It is also why I believe Vettel is very good as well: when he has the best car, he puts 110% in to it. That is how he won the Championship in 2010, I believe, which puts him close behind Alonso. Hamilton, however, hasn’t shown as much in my opinion. He has shown flashes of both, but not to the extent of Alonso or Vettel. Some might argue that it’s the team’s fault, but that’s neither here nor there.

There are obviously other characteristics that drivers need to be classed as ‘great’, such as rallying a team (Like Alonso has done, and to an extent Vettel AND Button). Therefore, Vettel is a great driver, and will continue to show it, so Jackie Stewart is just speaking nonsense…at least, that’s my opinion.

6. leotef (@leotef) said on 17th October 2012, 14:38

LOL. One adjective ‘great’ seems so important to some. If it is, let it be. But I don”t think it’s necessary to try to convince or persuade others who think different;y with a few exceptional drives just like it’s not necessary to disapprove un-greatness with his mistakes. To his fans, current form and achievement of SV may be more than enough to have that adjective before his name, to others -including myself-he’s still to be proven, having too strong tailwind from Mr. Newey and RB’s full support.
    Now we have seen Alonso and Hamilton in the same stable, why not Alsono and Vettel in the same stable or Hamilton and Vettel together in the same car? ‘Cause they are still relatively young, we have plenty of time to judge whether he is a great driver or greater driver, or more who is the greatest etc etc watching those epic battles as far as it can be kept from the influence of politics.

• Yeah they should all enter the Race of Champions or Felipe’s annual cart race. Although I’ve got the feeling the best driver’s (Ham, MSC, Alo, Rai & Vet) wouldn’t want to race one another in equal circumstances as they would have no excuses and they wouldn’t want to admit that another driver is better than them. Vettel and Schumacher enter the Race of Champions and I think Schumacher has won when they’ve raced one another there….

7. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 18th October 2012, 13:06

It’s really good to know that the big guys want the little guys to have as much say as them. Every team has earned the right to be on the grid and they should all receive equal status (incl. Ferrari!). FOTA is already a mess so at least there’s some cohesion with the FIA.

8. MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 23rd October 2012, 4:17

Once again I don’t really care for Jackie Stewart’s comments, and most surprising of all they are toward a driver I can’t stand. I think Vettel is a great driver, and if having the best car meant being a champion or runner up, then I pose the case of Heikki Kovalien and 2008. Or the fact that during this season Button has been beat by his team mate and that McLaren were to have the superior car for more than half the season.

Yet Vettel and crew found a way to keep their car on top, and in the fight and only recently is it thought to be the top car. Which reminds me a bit of 2009 season with RBR (though they didn’t win the championship). So I see more of a great driver in a great car, I see a calculated driver like a Prost type and doing it while young only helps show that he is a great. So for Stewart to take away from that, and contradict himself yet again because he too has the best car and is considered a legend is asinine.