Vettel heads Red Bull’s third successive front row

2012 Indian Grand Prix qualifying

Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Buddh International Circuit, 2012Sebastian Vettel continued his domination of the Indian Grand Prix weekend by taking pole position in qualifying.

He came close to missing out after a mistake on his first lap in Q3. But he recovered with his final run to keep Mark Webber from pole position.

The Red Bull drivers locked out the front row of a the grid for the third time in as many races, with McLaren and Ferrari lining up neatly behind them.

Q1

Red Bull and McLaren joined the track fairly late in Q1 to avoid having to use a set of soft tyres. They comfortably made it through, though Vettel lost his fastest time to Pastor Maldonado at the end of the session.

The Ferraris also secured safe passage through to Q2 by giving each other slipstreams on the back straight. Felipe Massa made it through despite spinning at turn 15 while on course to improve his time.

Not for the first time in 2012, Jean-Eric Vergne was eliminated in Q1. It was his team mate who delivered the final blow, pushing Vergne into the drop zone.

Paul di Resta narrowly avoided elimination after improving his time despite catching Pedro de la Rosa at the end of his lap.

Vitaly Petrov out-qualified team mate Heikki Kovalainen, who spun into a gravel trap at turn 11 at the end of the session.

Drivers eliminated in Q1

18 Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1’27.525
19 Vitaly Petrov Caterham-Renault 1’28.756
20 Heikki Kovalainen Caterham-Renault 1’29.500
21 Timo Glock Marussia-Cosworth 1’29.613
22 Pedro de la Rosa HRT-Cosworth 1’30.592
23 Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 1’30.593
24 Charles Pic Marussia-Cosworth 1’30.662

Q2

Vettel’s place in Q3 never looked in jeopardy – he pumped in a 1’25.435 to reach the final ten and returned to the pits, having only put a total of eight laps on his tyres during the first two parts of qualifying.

By the end of Q2 the McLaren drivers, perhaps aided by improvements in the condition of the track, had closed to within a few hundredths of a second of him. Nico Rosberg’s Mercedes also looked quick.

Massa only narrowly secured his place in Q3 with a late improvement. Fellow Brazilian Bruno Senna was also eliminated having looked quick earlier in the session.

Romain Grosjean failed to make the cut after making a mistake at turn seven. And neither Force India reached Q3 in their home race.

Drivers eliminated in Q2

11 Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1’26.136
12 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 1’26.241
13 Bruno Senna Williams-Renault 1’26.331
14 Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1’26.574
15 Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1’26.777
16 Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1’26.989
17 Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1’27.219

Q3

The final part of qualifying did not get off to a good start for Vettel as he made a mistake on his first lap and had to return to the pits. Webber set the fastest time to begin with on a 1’25.327, followed by Alonso and Hamilton.

Vettel returned to the pits and produced a clean lap with his second effort which was enough to claim the top time back from Webber by four-hundredths of a second.

Webber had a chance to beat that with his final run. He asked for more front wing for the lap but locked up at turn three and ran wide, losing his chance for a second consecutive pole position.

That allowed Vettel to return to the pits early as they felt secure in their advantage over McLaren. Hamilton improved to third with his final run to form an all-McLaren row two.

The Ferraris shared row three after Massa posted a considerable improvement with his last lap including the fastest run through the first sector. Raikkonen, Perez and Maldonado were next, and Rosberg chose not to set a time.

Top ten in Q3

10 Nico Rosberg Mercedes

2012 Indian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Indian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

101 comments on Vettel heads Red Bull’s third successive front row

1. mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 27th October 2012, 10:43

What was Hamilton’s problem in the press conference?

• sid90 (@sid90) said on 27th October 2012, 11:02

Did you find qualifying so boring you cared THAT much about how someone behaved during the conference?

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 27th October 2012, 11:07

Yeah he needs to be happy because Red Bull locked the front 3 times in a row

I never said that.

I was just pointing out the fact that visibly there seems some sort of dislike between Vettel and Hamilton, or at least from my perceptive.

• Theoddkiwi (@theoddkiwi) said on 27th October 2012, 11:29

I didn’t realize F1 drivers had to be friends either. If you look at the times Alonso has been on the podium and they show the three podium drivers after the race he very rarely talks to any of the others and generally only when directly spoken to. So Lewis is not the only one who keeps to himself.

In terms of the press conference if you look carefully, both Hamilton and Webber were watching something to the side of the camera while Vettel was talking only returning focus to the interviewer when Vettel seemed to be finish what he was saying. I suspect they were watching a replay or something. But Hamiltons eyes show up more clearly than Webbers on the TV.

I think too much is made of Hamilton’s body language. Do some research and you will fine some people naturally have a different body language than the majority and thus easily miss read.

I have Aspergers Syndrome which means my body language and what i say is often socially incorrect for given circumstances and I can appear and come across as rude and arrogant because i can be harshly truthful and to the point with out adding all the superfluous rubbish that most people add to conversations. Everyone is different.

2. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 27th October 2012, 10:52

I thought I’d never say this, and I’m usually the one to laugh at others for overreacting, but I’m afraid the championship is over. It was wide open after Singapore, but now Newey, just like last year, has developed another car miles ahead of the competition I’m afraid Vettel will cruze to another easy title.

• caci99 (@caci99) said on 27th October 2012, 11:11

It certainly looks like that. Vettel is in the best position tomorrow to win the race. Having Webber behind puts him in a comfortable place for cruising tomorrow at the chequered flag, of course if the start doesn’t provide any surprise. And I hope this time we will not have any “drama” radio transmission lap after lap about the tyres. Congrats to Vettel for being there and capable to get the good result he needed.

• Here’s hoping the fabled Red Bull reliability gremlins of the past return. Despite being such a tight championship all year, if Vettel and Red Bull continue like this it will all be over before we reach the last round.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 27th October 2012, 11:21

@debaser91

So that’s how you want Alonso to win the championship? Because of mechanical failures?

I’d much rather see my favorite drivers actually beating the competition on track. But that’s just me.

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 27th October 2012, 11:38

I don’t see how winning the championship because other cars have had handful of mechanical problems is any less credible than winning the championship because you have the fastest car.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 27th October 2012, 11:52

@kingshark

I meant I’d much rather see my favorite drivers win on track by beating the other drivers in stead of wishing misfortune upon others as debaser does.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 27th October 2012, 13:52

@f1fannl

Everyone rather see thier driver beat the competition on the race track.. but this isn’t a fairy tale. Dont expect Charles Pic to find 5 seconds a lap to beat Vettel.

Unfortunately its down to the machines to decide the fate of the championship.. not drivers ability.

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 27th October 2012, 16:17

@todfod to be honest, when has F1 EVER been about driver ability? The best driver of the best car wins.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 27th October 2012, 16:30

@raymondu999 . Yep.. you have a point. The 1st half of this season gave us the impression that drivers still matter a lot.. but I agree.. as the season went on it was the machinery that came out on top.

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 27th October 2012, 16:39

@todfod well I’m sorry if the first half of the season has given you the impression – because it’s untrue. I certainly don’t for a moment believe that Maldonado was a better driver than Alonso in Barcelona this year – and I don’t for a moment believe that Perez was anywhere near 8 tenths quicker than Alonso in Malaysia.

People are waxing lyrical on how the wet differentiates the men from the boys – but to be honest even that’s a load of tosh, though not many people are willing to bring themselves to believe this.

Which season, especially in recent seasons, has seen more than one car winning in the same conditions? (don’t count mixed weather races as the same as full wet races) There are several occasions when two different cars do – but that’s rare.

Best wet weather cars
            2012 – Ferrari
            2011 – McLaren
            2010 – Red Bull(wet), McLaren (changing)
            2009 – Red Bull
            2008/2007 – McLaren (plus a Toro Rosso)

• @f1fannl – Haha, some people on here make me laugh. You are applying your own (wrong) interpretation to what I said. Where exactly did I say I wanted Alonso to win the title?

Before you start making sweeping generalisations about a person’s allegiances I can clarify I am neither a fan of Vettel or Alonso. I don’t support either driver, for the record the drivers I support are Raikkonen, Hamilton and Webber. Barring a miracle none of these drivers have a realistic shot at the title, so seeing as I have no real preference for who wins I want the championship battle to go on as long as possible.

If Vettel carries on like this he could quite conceivably win 7 races in a row, hardly an exciting championship finale when a few races ago it looked like being a nail biting conclusion to the season.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 27th October 2012, 17:13

@debaser91

That’s no excuse to wish misfortune upon Vettel. If Vettel and Red Bull run away with the title now, so be it. They’ve deserved it through hard work and dedication.
            Does that result in an anti climax? Yes. But that’s McLaren and Ferrari’s (and the others) fault for the inability to keep up in the development race. And that’s after McLaren started the season with a clear advantage and were competitive up to Singapore. Ferrari might have been slow off the line but since Spain they’ve been at least as fast as Red Bull up to Monza.
            In stead of wishing a DNF for Vettel you could also wish for Ferrari to find something that’ll put them ahead of Red Bull.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 28th October 2012, 8:08

@f1fannl Couldn’t agree more. It shows such llittle support and belief in your preferred driver or team!

• Snafu (@snafu) said on 27th October 2012, 13:29

That’s mainly because of DDRS which they developed just because they’ve unlimited resources and can afford a system that will only last for few months before getting completely banned!

3. It’s very very close between the two HRT drivers.

4. Nico74 (@nico74) said on 27th October 2012, 11:07

Red Bull is very boring. Alonso: ” we are not figthing against vettel we are figthing against adrián newey.
    I hope Hamilton Win tomorrow

• Nixon (@nixon) said on 27th October 2012, 11:13

Did Alonso really say that?

• crr917 (@crr917) said on 27th October 2012, 11:14

@nico74 Ferrari’s chief designer is fighting RB’s chief designer – where is the news? BTW, McLaren’s chief designer menaged to split them if you havent noticed :D

• F1fanNL (@) said on 27th October 2012, 11:34

@nico74

If Alonso really said that than it shows what a joke he is. Where we’re these comments when the Ferrari was faster than the Red Bull in Spain, Britain, Germany, Italy and a wet Malaysia?

It’s incredibly childish of him to keep refraining from acknowledging Vettel’s skill. It’s something I would expect from his supporters or the Vettel-haters. Not from a racing driver everyone seems to consider to be so mature (which in my view he still isn’t).

• F1fanNL (@) said on 27th October 2012, 11:53

It seems I was to quick to judge. Alonso said Vettel AND Newey.

• I’m not a Ferrari fan, but the Ferrari has never been the fastest car all season. The Redbull team get it together and they’re way ahead. It’s got to be incredibily frustrating when you know Ferrari and Alonso is trying there best but can’t even get close because of machine superiorty. I’m sick of hearing people say it’s a wonderful thing this Red Bull dominance, or it’s fantastic how Vettel just cruises off into the distance. I hated it when Schumacher was doing it and I hate it now Vettel has the luxury. My only hope is this doesn’t carry on for years. 2014 should actually represent a break from the mould. Next year looks pretty much sealed as a Vettel championship already.. Seriously..

• F1fanNL (@) said on 27th October 2012, 17:18

They’ve been fastest in Monza at least. And there have been several races where they’ve been faster than Red Bull at least. Spain for example.
          The Ferrari was a ‘dog’ in the first 4 races. Since Spain they’ve been in contention for podiums and victories in almost all races. Just like Red Bull and McLaren.

Furthermore, I haven’t seen anyone say the Red Bull/Vettel dominance is wonderful.
          Vettel and Red Bull get respect and praise for their accomplishments but that’s not to say everybody is happy with one dominant force.

• stirper said on 27th October 2012, 12:44

@f1fannl
        No he is right that he is fighting against Newey. And i think that Newey for the moment is better than Alonso…Newey for the World championship..

• F1fanNL (@) said on 27th October 2012, 17:24

Because Newey is driving the Red Bull?….

If it really was so easy to do what Vettel has done Webber would have been a lot closer in points. Both in this year as in the previous years. In stead Webber hasn’t even been vice champion once and it doesn’t look like he’ll be vice champion this year either.

• Nico74 (@nico74) said on 27th October 2012, 13:00

I think he’s a little bit desesperated because red Bull is invincible in last 4 races. If Petrov had a third red Bull he finished third in qualifying

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 27th October 2012, 14:27

@f1fannl When a team is winning the development race like this, is obvious there’s someone in their headquarters that it’s doing his job, and what a job !.

Alonso said nothing wrong. Newey’s Red Bull’s strongest card, alongside Vettel, who gets the most out of the car Adrian designs. It’d be ridiculous to think otherwise.

It makes even more sense when, as you said, Ferrari were (sometimes) faster earlier in the season. That means Red Bull has improved a lot more than the rest, and that’s not down to the drivers. It’s down to their engineers.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 27th October 2012, 17:34

@fer-no65

I know Alonso said nothing wrong. See my comment below my first comment.
          Nico74 misquoted Alonso which made me believe Alonso put Vettel’s latest surge down to Newey only. Which is clearly not the case.

• stirper said on 27th October 2012, 18:58

No wrong. He was referring to Newey. he siad: i’m not fighting Vet or Web im fighting Newey…. and he is right

• David-A (@david-a) said on 27th October 2012, 22:59

Alonso said “At the moment I am or, we are not, fighting against Sebastian only”. I.e., we are fighting Sebastian and Newey. Given that Alonso also corrected himself and said “we”, not “I”, you are wrong entirely, stirper.

5. spartacus (@spartacus) said on 27th October 2012, 11:17

Think it was interesting that the big three locked out the first six grid places as teams.

6. Pedro Costa (@pnunocosta) said on 27th October 2012, 11:18

Ferrari and Mclaren must face the reality, they are fighting each other for 2nd in the constructors and that´s it.
    Tomorrow it will be Korea part 2.
    This very promising championship will drag itself for the remaining races.
    Damn you Newey!!! :-)

7. Eggry (@eggry) said on 27th October 2012, 11:21

That’s what I expected.

8. Jason (@jason12) said on 27th October 2012, 11:24

So much for the PR ******** from Ferrari and McLaren. Newey is miles ahead and he ain’t talking much, just delivering :)

9. carbon_fibre (@carbon_fibre) said on 27th October 2012, 11:27

Come on people have some faith! Nothing’s over yet! One DNF for Vettel and Alonso gets the Championship lead back! An engine failure, a gearbox failure, a loose wheel nut, an alternator issue, a disastrous pit stop, a driving error, a crash with another driver etc. You never know!

10. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 27th October 2012, 11:35

Nice to see such a small gap between Seb and Mark. Really get tired of all the “Mark gets the garbage car” tinfoil hat silliness. Good luck tomorrow RBR and let’s put the WDC and Constructors to bed!

11. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 27th October 2012, 11:39

For the first time that I can remember, I have absolutely no desire to watch tomorrow’s race. Even when I didn’t have access to a television or a way to follow the race, I at least wanted to. But now even that is gone in the face of another lights-to-flag victory for Vettel.

• Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 27th October 2012, 12:09

Same problem here. I’m going to watch it anyways, and pray that Alonso, or even Raikkonen can pull something off. Not hopeful though.

• Slr (@slr) said on 27th October 2012, 12:27

I see what you mean and I agree, though I will watch the race just incase something amazing happens tomorrow, though I won’t bring my hopes up.

• Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 27th October 2012, 12:37

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Not sure I can be bothered to get up early.

• Bob (@bobthevulcan) said on 27th October 2012, 12:43

I understand why you think that, but urge you to look on the bright side. The win may be Vettel’s, but I’m cautiously optimistic that we’ll at least have some battles for the podium places – Ferrari versus McLaren for 2nd place in the constructors’ should be something interesting to see – and some action in the midfield.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 27th October 2012, 13:23

Action in the midfield is a poor consolation prize when there is no championship fight to be had. It’s doubly disappointing for one team and one driver – particularly this team and driver – to dominate given the start to the season we had.

• apsiloritis (@apsiloritis) said on 27th October 2012, 13:14

Sigh.
      I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. I couldn’t even be bothered watching quali. We all knew where it was going to end up, and sadly I think the race will go the same way. I only hope to be wrong. Such a great start to a season, and now this. Very frustrating.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 27th October 2012, 14:30

@prisoner-monkeys Heh, same here. I have to get up at 6:30 (on a sunday) to watch this race, if I wanted. But I just won’t…

I happily stayed awake for Malaysia (it starts at 4 am), but that was something else, and it was really worth the effort ! But tomorrow? no chance, really. I rather watch the replays later.

• @prisoner-monkeys – Yeah I’ve been feeling like that recently. I think I’ve been slowly losing interest in F1 in general.

Sad to say this, especially on a website like this one but I’ve been following F1 since 2003, it’s been a good ten years for me but for MANY reasons, this season may be the last one I fully watch.

• I’m not going to be watching this one either.

Federer in his pomp is a mélange of sultry swings of his racquet.

Lebron James on form is an unstoppable tour de force of dunks, assists and bravado.

Vettel leading a race is an exercise in gap management and component conservation (tyres, fuel etc.). It is not interesting to watch the fastest driver winning a race by going as slow as he can get away with. It is not racing, it’s race management. Please note that this is not a slight on Vettel but rather my appraisal of modern F1. My previous statements applies equally to when other drivers are leading.

It is very sad to see the juxtaposition between passionate drivers like Ayrton Senna and Gilles Villeneuve who continually pushed to the limit and today’s drivers who can win easily whilst still colouring well inside the lines.

I’ve been watching religiously since 1995 and almost every grand prix since 1997. My first memory was being distraught that Jacques Villeneuve was going to retire from MS’s foul play in Jerez and lose the championship because he had let the McLarens through on the last laps – I was too young and excited to understand that the teams had arranged this switch.

For years, I would always wake up 45 minutes before the race, go for a 20 minute walk around the block to abate the sleep demons, come home, make coffee and watch the race.
        I haven’t done this in the past two years as the spectacle is no longer worth waking up for. Sad.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 27th October 2012, 16:17

@kodongo There’s nothing new about that at all. Fangio was a master of ‘winning at the slowest possible speed’.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 27th October 2012, 16:24

That’s the difference between motorsport and, say, Federer winning Wimbledon 6-0, 6-0, 6-0. In that short match, you see Federer’s magic raise above his opponent. It’s still an endurance, and you see him dominating an (often) superb opponent with ease, showing what he’s truly capable of.

In motorsports, if someone is sooooo dominant, you barely see what’s going on. You know he’s the best (or he’s in the best car), but you can’t see him working to win, you just see a boring, 2 hours long race with nothing interesting whatsoever. It’s just an excercise, a practice session, with the odd Safety Car that “might spoil things up”, but never does.

But… I don’t think past drivers did anything different. Those drivers knew when they were pushing too hard, and to push hard while leading by half a minute is ridiculous. Maybe driving was a little bit more difficult, so we could still appreciate it a bit more than today, but that’s another matter…

• I can’t think of another sport where when an athlete is absolutely on the top of their game, they can perform at so much less than 100%.

That’s why I’ve become interested in Snooker. ;) The best athletes on their best days perform at their absolute maximum.

• Minardi (@gitanes) said on 27th October 2012, 16:19

Agreed. What a drop off in the excitement level from earlier in the year, which was maybe at an all-time high. The combination of Red Bull dominance, lack of rain, and teams finally adjusting to the new Pirellis, has totally ruined the season. I can’t believe that some people were actually complaining about the randomness earlier. I would do anything to bring it back!!!

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 27th October 2012, 23:56

Having said all that, I probably will watch the race. But I won’t be too bothered if I miss it for whatever reason.

• Lachie (@lachie) said on 28th October 2012, 2:04

Hear hear. I’ve officially crossed into 2002/2004 record-and-wait mode. I did it for yesterdays qualy and don’t feel I missed out on anything of note by not watching it afterwards.

12. Mayank (@mjf1fan) said on 27th October 2012, 11:48

1. Vettel
    2. Hamilton
    3. Button
    4. Alonso
    5. Webber

13. weresf1gone said on 27th October 2012, 11:50

It`s the boring Schumacher era of the 00`s all over again, except for gimmicks thrown in to make it palatable.

• Nick (@npf1) said on 27th October 2012, 14:08

It’s funny you mention Hungary 2004 in that article; the first race I ever stopped watching before the end.

While the racing is much better and the recent races, despite being relatively easy Vettel victories, I haven’t had the urge to turn off the TV, neither did any races in 2011 make me want to go do something else.

I do somewhat feel less enthusiastic due to the likeliness of a third Vettel championship in a row. It casts somewhat of a shadow over the races, in my opinion. Not sure if I’d call it ‘lower stakes’, but it lacks an edge earlier races had, for me.

14. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 27th October 2012, 11:59

I can’t work out if Petrov was amazingly quick, Heikki was amazingly slow, or Glock was amazingly quick…

• Ivan B (@njoydesign) said on 27th October 2012, 12:19

Petrov got a new engineer and their partnership seems to be working quite well, he was praising him a lot in his last interview. Also, according to his manager, the contract for next year is a done deal (if we can believe her, really), so he is sure about his future and it takes the pressure away. Heikki, on the other side, been very nervous about his future – last year he was rated very high and now, when a paydriver shows competitive results, there is an obvious question for Tony Fernandes: Is there any sense in paying a driver when you can get two paydrivers that will bring you money, which will go into car development, and are quick enough too? It might have played a role in his off during the hot lap.

hey, my first comment here)))

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 27th October 2012, 12:50

@njoydesign

I hope Heikki finds a place further up the field. I believe he’s twice the driver he was during his years at Renault and McLaren.

Welcome to F1F!

• Ivan B (@njoydesign) said on 27th October 2012, 13:59

thanks for the welcome))

I think both are talented drivers and both have gone miles in improving their skills, after all, driving a bad car teaches you some more. It is a shame, honestly, that Caterham is still nowhere after 3 years in F1, Heikki didn’t deserve that. They had enough money and resourses to make a better car. If they don’t join the medfield next year it will be a total fiasco.

• Metallion (@metallion) said on 27th October 2012, 14:12

Actually, Heikki was the only driver of the bottom 10 or so to set his lap on hard tires. I don’t know how much of the deficit that explains but he probably could have gone quite a lot faster on softs.

• Ivan B (@njoydesign) said on 27th October 2012, 14:38

he could but he span off. And frankly, what was the point of trying to qualy on hards in a Caterham? To waste some rubber? To be fair, IIRC Petrov did his 1:29.0 on hards, so i think he could do a bit better on softs than he did too.

• Metallion (@metallion) said on 27th October 2012, 15:27

Yeah I don’t know why they went out to set times on hard tires, perhaps to gain more data but I don’t think that would have been that valuable anyway on just a few laps of running them.
          I don’t however think that the contract situation for next year played any part in Heikki spinning off. Hopefully he’ll be in a more competitive car next year but there’s a lot of competition for the seats that are left.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 28th October 2012, 8:10

@electrolite I felt that the gravel robbed us of a potentially interesting battle at Caterham. However, that said, it was Kovalainen’s fault he beached it, no one else’s.

15. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 27th October 2012, 12:07

Wow, what an exciting and unpredictable qualifying session. That recording of the 2012 Belgian GP qualifying was fascinating to watch.