Alonso ‘100% confident we will win title’

F1 Fanatic round-up

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Buddh International Circuit, 2012In the round-up: Fernando Alonso says he is sure he will win the championship.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Alonso confident he can still win F1 title (Reuters)

“I think it’s more challenging for us now but I remain 100% confident that we will fight for this championship and we will win it.”

Q&A with Red Bull?s Helmut Marko (F1)

“We have never had team orders but we bank on the intelligence of our drivers. I think they demonstrated their ability to use their brain as well as their feet very recently in Korea. Mark [Webber's] start was not so good but there was no collision. As long as Mark has a theoretical, mathematical chance of winning the title it is understandable when he says that he is first and foremost driving for himself.”

‘Europe will lose out’ (Sky)

“We’ll keep trying to move forward. We’re a world championship. We’ll probably lose two or three more races in Europe as we have to sort of move on.”

I’m not retiring yet – Ecclestone (BBC)

“I will tell CVC [F1 owners] exactly if I’m going to turn it in when I’m 85 or something like that, which will give them plenty of notice.”

McLaren sure it can still beat Red Bull (Autosport)

Sporting director Sam Michael: “If he does get away and maintains a three second gap, there is still a possibility to get him on strategy, but it will be pretty hard. All the signs from practice are that we can run with them but, when you get there and get in the wake, you lose 10-15% of your downforce and then you start falling off the back.”

BJP slams Ferrari’s move to display the Italian Navy flag, while FMSCI is okay with it (The Indian Express)

“The [Bharatiya Janata Party, one of India's largest political parties] in Kerala has slammed Ferrari’s move to display the Italian Navy flag on its racing cars during the Indian Grand Prix to express solidarity with two Italian marines facing trial in Kerala for gunning down two Indian fishermen.”

FMSCI backs Ferrari in flag issue (Deccan Herald)

“‘The FMSCI [Federation of Motor Sports of India] would like to maintain that the FIA code of motorsport is apolitical and non-religious and the FMSCI will not permit motorsports to be politicised in any manner,’ read the statement issued by its president Vicky Chandhok.”

Di Resta: ‘You haven’t seen real me’ (The Telegraph)

“Di Resta is too polite to say that is the reason McLaren have taken on Mexican Sergio Perez as Lewis Hamilton?s replacement next year, but he hints it may be what he thinks. Perez ‘opens up various different markets,’ he says. ‘But listen, it was flattering to be linked to a team like McLaren.'”

Narain Karthikeyan terribly underrated, says team mate Pedro de la Rosa (The Times of India)

“Narain is a very strong driver and terribly underrated. I think he still has a few more seasons of F1 left in him.”

Ferrari via Twitlonger

“To those who think that there’s a coldness between [Alonso] and [Ferrari] the truth is we have never been as united as we are now. Forza Fernando! Forza Ferrari!”

Formula One Betting: Indian Grand Prix Race Preview (Unibet)

My race preview for Unibet.

Tweets

Comment of the day

Minardi (@Gitanes) is disappointed with how the quality of racing has dropped off as the season has gone on:

What a drop off in the excitement level from earlier in the year, which was maybe at an all-time high.

The combination of Red Bull dominance, lack of rain, and teams finally adjusting to the new Pirellis, has totally ruined the season.

I can?t believe that some people were actually complaining about the randomness earlier. I would do anything to bring it back!
Minardi (@Gitanes)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to D Winn, Nixon, Vinicius Antunes, Zahir, Doance, Eggry and Dimaka1256!

On this day in F1

And happy birthday to Bernie Ecclestone who is 82 today.

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

80 comments on Alonso ‘100% confident we will win title’

1. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 28th October 2012, 1:29

From Hamilton to Pedro de La Rosa, looks like everybody is bracing for another season with Karthikeyan

2. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 28th October 2012, 1:34

Guess what? I read Deccan Herald. The FMSC story here is from Sunday’s issue which is yet to reach my doorstep :)

3. Toro Stevo (@toro-stevo) said on 28th October 2012, 2:03

Di Resta is obviously a bit miffed at being passed over for the McLaren seat, with nationality implied as a factor. It’s not the only one of course, it’s not like Perez is a rubbish driver and I think he probably got the seat on merit given his drives at Malaysia and Montreal this year.
    But the real advantage of McLaren signing a non-Brit is that it may get Ted Kravitz to poke his head outside of the McLaren garage once in a while. Maybe McLaren is sick of his company?

4. RBAlonso (@rbalonso) said on 28th October 2012, 2:06

Agree 100% with the COTD. If I take one disappointment from the season, it will not be Alonso’s championship lead loss or standing in the crowd at Spa fearing ‘the’ worst but that the season has almost ended in an anti-climax. I know many casual fans who no longer care but were beginning to love F1 at the start of the season.

With regard to Europe losing more races, I think that this is an absolute tragedy. We need some heritage. And the move abroad is happening far too abruptly. Ten years ago we had 11 of 17 races in Europe, now 8 in 20 and rapidly decreasing. For me F1 should stick to where its core fan-base is and make it easily accessible to fans. I dislike watching empty grandstands in the flyaway races and without an African course can we really preach that its for ‘world championship’ reasons? We’re moving where the money is which is logical, but in years to come, without Bernie’s guidance, we could end up racing in places where the fans don’t care and all the best tracks out of business due to lack of funding. I believe F1 should go to the best race tracks regardless of where they are.

Enjoy the race.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 28th October 2012, 8:00

I agree entirely with you, in fact I think 90% of the people on this site agree. Although we must see the world championship as something global, truth is that most F1 fans live in Europe. It seems kind of silly to host the races as far away from the fans as possible.

But the unfortunate reality is that money talks in Formula 1: mr Ecclestone wants to make F1 as profitable as possible, regardless of anything. The way Formula 1 is going is a shame, because sometimes I feel like I’m not watching a sport anymore, but a 2-hour long demonstration of wealth.

5. JB (@) said on 28th October 2012, 3:02

I am a Ferrari and a Fernando Alonso fan and, I can´t help noticing that all you people think it´s over just because Vettel has a 6 point lead.. and is on pole for India… Spa taught us that things can get twisted really quickly… anything can happen and it is best to be cautious of what everyone says so that in the end, you don´t feel like an Ass(donkey type animal)…
    I feel Fernando has a hill to climb but it is not impossible…

“he who laughs last, laughs best!!!”

6. Aldoid said on 28th October 2012, 3:12

Regarding Alonso’s statement, It’s a long shot but anything is possible. Besides, you can’t really criticize him for saying he’s confident. I’m pretty sure a lot if folks would be just as displeased if he’d said he’s given up. It’s just a shame that numpties Grosjean & Maldonado ruined what could’ve been a close three-way battle in the end. Now, I fear the last races will be the usual Vettel/RBR snooze-fest. Such a shame… an anticlimactic end to what started as a cracker of a season.

7. Bob (@bobthevulcan) said on 28th October 2012, 3:46

I wouldn’t rate Alonso’s chances very highly. At Red Bull’s current pace (barring any mechanical failures or retirements on their part) and taking into account how the remaining races of the season (Austin, Interlagos, Abu Dhabi – two of them tracks RBR has won at before, the remainder a Tilkedrome) seem to suit their car’s strengths, Vettel is almost assured of strong performances to come. Whereas Ferrari’s updates have done little to improve the car relative to its competitors, while McLaren seem to have rediscovered their pace, throwing another spanner into the works.

In all likelihood, Vettel will win or finish on the podium for the remaining races of the season. Even if we suppose Vettel records 1 DNF, Alonso still has an uphill battle if he wants to outscore Vettel – in addition to contending with the Ferrari’s shortcomings, he’ll have to deal with fighting Webber and the McLarens for those all-important podium spots.

100% confident? Good to see that Alonso is keeping himself motivated. 100% guaranteed? Nope.

8. Nixon (@nixon) said on 28th October 2012, 7:02

Thanks Kieth!
    And happy birthday to Vinicius Antunes, Zahir, Doance, Eggry, Dimaka1256, and D Winn.

9. Ben (@benchuiii) said on 28th October 2012, 7:08

I don’t quite understand the fuss over European rounds being dropped as for me the only circuits that stand out are Silverstone, Spa, Monza and Monaco while others like Catalunya and Hungaroring are not much better than the Tilkedromes. Heritage is built over time. Every race was a new addition to the calendar at some point. We should give the new races a chance to establish themselves and not shoot them down because of a lack of motor racing culture. Who knows, in 20 years time Shanghai could be a classic with enthusiastic spectators. The notion that “races in Europe should stay simply because of their tradition” is detrimental to the sport. F1 cannot sustain itself if nobody pays money.

• AldoG said on 28th October 2012, 8:26

I agree with you. Dropping Catalunya can only be good for F1. But then it will be good to go to NICE, GOOD tracks. If F1 is the pinnacle of car racing, they should go the pinnacle in track design, not Yas Marina. For tradition reasons, we will find in Europe tracks proved again and again as good ones. It is interesting the idea of transforming F1 in a worldwide show, but doing racing in dull, boring , empty tracks everywhere doesn’t help either, even if those countries and TV networks do pay the hefty bills…

10. Zubair (@zubair380) said on 28th October 2012, 7:12

I couldn’t possibly agree with the COTD more, now where are the people who moaned and cried out about “unpredictability in races”. Pirelli have done a fantastic job, and it was unfortunate that due to (some) pressure from teams and with teams finding the sweet spot in the tyres, we’ve now got fairly processional racing.

11. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 28th October 2012, 7:14

Have to agree with COTD; after the first few races we (or at least I) was expecting this to be one of the greatest seasons ever with a tight championship fight and great races, but seems like it has all fell apart somewhat. Hopefully there are still surprises coming up in the remaining races.

Actually, I think this recent lack of randomness is one of the factors why I’d like to see a shorter season (16 or so races). Give the teams less time to get everything perfect.

12. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 28th October 2012, 7:24

Bernie wants to cash in with the ipo and therefore Concorde is now 10 years. After ipo and worldwide economic turmoil the stock will plummet. And then his heirs will step in, buy the entire stock and the story starts all over again.

You read it here first.

13. Broom (@brum55) said on 28th October 2012, 7:32

Agree with COTD & @rbalonso. All the people were wishing for NORMAL race weekends. Well look at the last few weekends and compare that to the start of the year. Needless to say the race ratings here have tumbled as has the general interest in the sport.

14. AldoG said on 28th October 2012, 7:51

All I know is that with DRS, KERS, small toy engines and tracks like Yas Marina and the like, I would seriously consider dropping F1 after more than 25 years of being a fan.
    And regarding Alonso’s comments, seriously, it is not even funny anymore.
    But to me, the championship is entering the phase in which I get bored: when the drivers start thinking about the championship more than the race.
    This has been a lifelong doubt for me… What is more important for a racing driver: the race or the championship? The drivers I talked to (and that includes Nelson Piquet, Carlos Reutemann, Mauricio Gugelmin, Ayrton Senna and Raúl Boesel, among other less known), told me that in the beginning the race is the king. Nothing gives a driver more happiness than to do a good race, with good figths, and win a race. A championship is a consequence of have many good races. That’s why we remember drivers that made the race the ultimate spectacle. So, where is the point where the driver decide the lift the gas pedal thinking in the extra couple of points? One can say that is the decision to give up a bit of the racing spirit thinking in a higher goal. But to me then is not “pure” racing anymore.
    We had a good example of that in the last GP: Massa was faster than Alonso and could be able to hunt Webber, a scenario that would give a good race, but no, Alonso decided to drive like a taxi driver, grab the points and that was that. To me, that was a sad shadow of a race, with a faster driver being asked to slow down behind a slower driver in the name of a championship…
    Ok, rant over. Enjoy the race later on, folks!

15. Girts (@girts) said on 28th October 2012, 8:26

The German magazine Motor Sport aktuell (MSa) reports that there is a clause in Mark Webber’s agreement that says he must play number two role in the team if Seb has a certain points advantage after a certain number of races. They also claim that that is what Mark is doing now and that their fight in Korea was just a theatre.

While I think it’s possible that Webber is not allowed to attack Vettel as soon as he mathematically cannot catch Seb in the championship anymore, I am rather sceptical towards the other MSa suggestions.