Rate the race: 2012 Indian Grand Prix

2012 Indian Grand Prix

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Buddh International Circuit, 2012What did you think of the Indian Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Indian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (5%)
  • 2 (5%)
  • 3 (10%)
  • 4 (12%)
  • 5 (18%)
  • 6 (24%)
  • 7 (16%)
  • 8 (7%)
  • 9 (1%)
  • 10 (2%)

Total Voters: 542

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

Image ?é?® Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

202 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Indian Grand Prix

1. andae23 (@andae23) said on 28th October 2012, 11:34

4/10 well, that was not as interesting as we had hoped. The first lap was amazing: crash course slipstreaming, and then Alonso, Hamilton and Button side-by-side. That they didn’t hit each other was again a display of experience. After that, it was not that exciting anymore.

Two points of criticism: Pirelli’s tyre choice offered no chance for strategic variety, and thus pretty much everybody did exactly the same thing (except Grosjean). Soft/medium might have been better, but that’s just being captain hindsight here :P

Secondly the DRS-zone: why do we need a DRS-zone on such a long straight? One move that I clearly remember was Senna on Rosberg (lap 50 or so). Senna locked up into turn three and was miles away from Rosberg. He deploys DRS and passes him cleanly before the actual corner commences. Again showing that DRS is rubbish, a desparate attempt to increase the number of overtakes.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th October 2012, 11:46

@andae23

Pirelli’s tyre choice offered no chance for strategic variety

Paul Hembery has just said on Twitter they could’ve used the super soft tyre here:

Hope they do next year.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 28th October 2012, 11:57

Great to hear they’re picking that up.

• Well, I’m glad they have hindsight but shouldn’t they have thought of that before the race? I’m sure Hembery and most of his technicians knew in a very high proportion exactly how these compounds will behave here and exactly what strategies (or lack-of) are most likely. They knew it’s a low-friction surface. They had all the data, and yet, they willingly chose to go down the conservative road.

I liked the bipolar Hembery and his passive-agressive tires more…

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 28th October 2012, 12:09

@andae23 – perfect summary of the race.

DRS was a joke. I think the clearest example of this was Kimi getting a properly fought advantage over Massa coming out of the pits only for it to evaporate on the straight. Kimi deserved the place, Massa didn’t.

And just how badly did the teams read the tyres. FL on last lap but finishing 5th (Button), what’s the point of that!?

• @psynrg – And what part of Massa’s drive did you find so non-deserving of a 6th place? He kept Kimi at distance on merit the whole race. Kimi had DRS for the whole GP and yet his Lotus lacked the speed to pass the brazillian (Kimi was only 4-5km/h faster than Felipe WITH DRS and KERS). Massa successfully defended his position for the whole race, ergo, he deserves the spot, not Raikkonen. Any other statement is just fan boy nonsense.

As for the scramble after Massa exited the pits: Raikkonen could have been a bit more patient and willing to position himself properly for an attack on the straight, rather than in the first 3 turns. I’m not saying he would have passed, as the Ferrari clearly had better straight line speed but, at least he would have given Felipe a slight headache there. He just rushed into a decision to overtake quickly and it was the bad one as it gave Massa DRS and with it a huge advantage on the run to turn 4. The end.

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 28th October 2012, 14:57

@tony031r – a bit of a hysterical response there. I was merely commenting on DRS being particularly artificial here. I used this as an example. I thought Kimi & Massa’s pit exit battle was one of the few ding dongs in the whole race yet it was immediately made worthless by DRS.
          I’ve nothing against Massa’s overall classification – but it would certainly have meant more if he had to wrestle that position back from Kimi rather than be handed it on a plate. Then again that’s probably the only way he would get past anyone (even Kimi, most overrated driver in F1.)

• I completely agree with your DRS comments but how on earth is Kimi the most overrated driver on the grid? Being third in the championship means that he has one Red Bull, one Ferrari and two McLarens behind him!

If anything he is underrated and IMO. McLaren just made a serious mistake by not putting him in Hamilton’s seat. I am sure Perez will be fine – in a few years but for now they are left with no contender.

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 28th October 2012, 18:22

OK he’s not the most over rated (maybe Di Resta?). Kimi’s a great driver and consistent, the results and his championship position speak for themselves. But he never strikes me as a front runner, rather, one who is (nearly) always there to pick up the pieces.
            I also agree, McLaren have possibly missed a trick by not getting him on board again. Perez seems to have lost his edge since getting the seat. He was awful today…

2. Girts (@girts) said on 28th October 2012, 11:36

Agreed. No strategy battles, no real overtaking, Vettel again lonely at the front. Alonso and a few battles in the midfield spiced it up but only slightly. On the side note, the smog made it even harder to enjoy the race.

3. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 28th October 2012, 11:37

A bit better than Korea, so 6 for me. Great first lap, some nice midfield dices and a bit of tension near the front. Cars look immense on TV here with the fast direction changes, but maybe they should lose the DRS on the long straight here (too easy to pass) and extend the one on the pit straight.

4. Girts (@girts) said on 28th October 2012, 11:39

No strategy battles, no real overtaking, Vettel again lonely at the front. Alonso and a few battles in the midfield spiced it up but only slightly. As a side note, the smog made it even harder to enjoy the race.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 28th October 2012, 12:03

Funny story actually: when my broadcaster decides to throw in some commercials, they use a split screen, so that the F1 feed is reduced to ± 10% its size. And every time a driver overtook someone else, we couldn’t figure out who had passed who.

5. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 28th October 2012, 11:40

Better than Korea but still pretty dull. Alonso and the midfield tussles livened it up a bit but it was still extraordinarily boring. The rubbish circuit didn’t exactly help matters.
    5/10 seems fair in my opinion.

6. Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 28th October 2012, 11:46

7. Not all that great, but still better than the farcical ‘races’ we got at the start of the season.

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 28th October 2012, 12:13

It may well be that farcical races are a whole lot more entertaining (which is the antithesis of the precision keyhole surgery that is F1.)

But now most everything is understood the season is basically forgone. We need another farse!

7. StefMeister (@stefmeister) said on 28th October 2012, 11:47

Regarding DRS & Pirelli’s, I think it just highlights the problems & stupidity of relying on these things to create entertainment.

DRS is too sensitive to specific conditions & there not just the length of the zone. Most the time its either too effective or does very little.

And once the teams figure out the tyres late in the season your going to get more predictable wear as teams/drivers optimise setups & driving styles.

People go on about overtaking needing to be more possible to make races more exciting however I’d argue that if you want races to be more exciting they need to sort of the cars & find a way of making them less aero sensitive when following one another.

Using DRS/Tyres just masks the problems & as we’ve heard from team comments & seen with the 2014 rule changes they have taken away the drive to make the required changes.

8. raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 28th October 2012, 11:52

I posted this comment on yesterday’s quali report, but I feel it bears repeating:

I get that some people don’t like domination, and on the balance of the last 3.5 race weekends, Red Bull and Vettel have certainly been dominant.

In my opinion – ok, you don’t like the situation. Fair enough. I don’t begrudge you that opinion.

But should we really be complaining? F1 is a show, yes. A big show with contestants. So is something like football or MotoGP. I never liked either – and the solution is simple. Don’t watch it.

I’m sorry, but I never had much sympathy for people who complained. No one ever promised F1 would have a riveting championship, nor have they ever promised F1 would have riveting on-track action. No one ever forced you to watch F1. It is, like everything else on the telly (except the news) a show, and as with any other show, you watch the ones you like and you don’t watch the ones you don’t like.

Either you hate the situation enough to stop watching F1, or you like F1 enough to cover your dislike for the situation. I never liked the early 2009 F1 season due to the Brawn domination – but I liked F1 too much to give up F1 on that ground. So I put up with it and kept on watching.

You have a remote control. Use it wisely.

• LosD (@losd) said on 28th October 2012, 12:18

Why should anyone “cover your dislike for the situation”, just because they like F1 in general, but don’t like the domination going on?

• F1Rollout (@f1rollout) said on 28th October 2012, 12:32

Its not about the domination. Its about this stupid rules. For F1’s sake we need to ditch DRS and Pirelles. Introduce durable tyres and reintroduce refuelling.

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 28th October 2012, 12:53

@f1rollout

I’m all for getting rid of DRS but I think it’s harsh to blame the tire situation on Pirelli, they’re just making the tires that they’ve been asked to make and I’m sure that if they were asked to make tires that lasted an entire race they’d do just that.

• Dizzy said on 28th October 2012, 12:59

reintroduce refuelling.

why would anybody want to see refueling come back?

if refueling came back we would just see all the passing done in the pit lane again.

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 28th October 2012, 12:36

@f1rollout @losd @taurus
      LosD you misread my sentence. Reread the whole sentence and it’ll make sense.

my point is – do you like the current F1, or dislike it? If you dislike it, simple – turn off the television.

• taurus (@taurus) said on 28th October 2012, 12:54

@raymondu999 So your answer for those of us that have found the last few races excrutiatingly dull is that we should just stop watching a sport we’ve been watching for years and years? I dont find domination boring, its that fact that all of a sudden there is no racing going on, and any overtaking we do get is via a silly gimmick like DRS. The cars are bulletproof reliable now and the circuits are soulless Tilke-dromes that dont punish driver mistakes. Not to worry though, Abu dhabi next!!

• LosD (@losd) said on 28th October 2012, 12:59

Ah, so it’s a binary thing. Either you love F1, or dislike it.

That’s a pretty limited view.

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 28th October 2012, 13:05

@losd My point is, F1 is what it is – and no amount of complaining will change that. If you like F1, but dislike the situation (either in terms of DRS overtaking, or in terms of domination, or whatever else) then well… what’s complaining going to do?

• LosD (@losd) said on 28th October 2012, 13:09

Soooo, one shouldn’t say their opinion about things. What was the point of rate the race exactly?

BTW, the one doing the most complaining here… is you.

• James (@goodyear92) said on 28th October 2012, 16:11

@raymondu999 If you don’t like all the complaining that goes on there, then… leave. It’s what people do, and no amount of complaining will change that.

• sid90 (@sid90) said on 29th October 2012, 4:43

@raymondu999 I posted the same thing to you before, but whatever: no one is forcing you to read and reply to those comments so why are you doing it? It’s exactly what Mr. Pitt, I mean @goodyear92 said you complaining is not going to change a thing…

• smokinjoe (@smokinjoe) said on 28th October 2012, 12:47

In any sport where a team or a player has a clear advantage over others and running away with the trophy the excitement levels comes down,its not just F1.No one stopped watching f1 during ferrari years when schumi winning multiple championships and ferrari are miles ahead,a f1 fan will always watch it no matter what.but its boring now beacuse the way vettel is winning and championship could be well over even before the seasons finale in brazil

• Lachie (@lachie) said on 28th October 2012, 14:02

I’m a passionate F1 fan and I stopped watching during the Ferrari domination. If I know what’s going to transpire during the race without watching it, then I don’t need to bother. I am now in that frame of mind for the rest of this season too.

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 28th October 2012, 13:02

@smokinjoe @taurus
      I agree completely with your comment. Without bringing into this my own opinion of the DRS overtaking situation, circuits, or the domination currently on display, however, I don’t think people should really complain.

My internal reaction really is just, “well cry me a river.” I don’t mean to be rude, but my point is that F1 is what it is. Whether or not we watch it is completely our own choice, and it’s not something forced upon us.

If we feel that we dislike the situation so much that we want to complain, then it’s always within our power to turn off the TV.

To be honest, to a certain extent, nobody really cares about your view of the situation, unless they agree with it, and the complaining will make not an inkling of difference, much as we like to think it will.

• taurus (@taurus) said on 28th October 2012, 13:13

@raymondu999 This is a place for voicing opinions. If enough people start thinking “this is a pointless waste of my sunday afternoon” and switch the TV off, viewing figures will drop, no-one will want to pay for the TV rights and there wont be any F1 for us to complain about. That’s obviously a long way off but its a possibility.

Why shouldn’t we complain? We’re fans of the sport and want to see a bit of excitement and drama, preferably some that isnt derived from artificial means.

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 28th October 2012, 13:03

@raymondu999

I don’t think anyone wants or expects any sympathy from you, they’re just expressing their opinions – which is what I assume Keith intended when he set up a comments system on this website.

If people find certain races boring or don’t like certain aspects of the sport then they’re perfectly entitled to express that opinion and no-one is forcing you to read them – you could just use your mouse and skip right past them without the need to tell people that they should effectively stop watching F1 and expressing their opinion about it.

9. matt88 (@matt88) said on 28th October 2012, 11:55

5 – some good laps, but almost no action at all. A good reason to keep working on my thesis withouth getting distracted, though. :D

10. It wasn’t bad, but the DRS ruined some interesting battles (Alonso vs Webber, for example). 6.

11. Karthikeyan (@ridiculous) said on 28th October 2012, 12:10

7 – Nice action during the opening laps. Good scraps in the midfield. Second closest we got to seeing VET-ALO-HAM podium after Canada and a ticking bomb in the scraping under tray.
    Pretty sure when Alonso was informed about Webber’s KERS issues he would have thought ‘wrong car’.

12. caci99 (@caci99) said on 28th October 2012, 12:14

The race was a six for me, better than Korea. Alonso put on a strong performance, and so did Vettel. I am still surprised by McLaren. They did had the pace today, but still somehow they fall behind. Maybe that first lap battle when both drivers locked up their tires affected the pace of the first stint, who knows. By the way, that battle was the best piece of the whole race for me, three great drivers going wheel to wheel without touching each other, superb. Bruno Senna did a decent job today too. Massa and Kimi seam to have enjoyed that tandem for the whole race and were nowhere. Perez is falling behind since his new contract was announced.

13. Manter MBS (@sridharbhanu) said on 28th October 2012, 12:14

Nice work from HUL. 4 valuable points. Keep pushing.

14. James (@goodyear92) said on 28th October 2012, 12:21

It’s not been the greatest last few races, has it? That is, unless you’re a Vettel fan. I respect his obvious talent, but he doesn’t half take the fun out of everything once he’s sat in a fairly dominant package. I don’t think this has been quite as bad as Japan or Korea, but the lack of battling right up at the front keeps any real excitement from ever materialising. I enjoyed the first few corners with Alonso, Hamilton and Button — that was world class action between those three. I also enjoyed some of the numerous scraps in the pack. It’s a shame that so many ended in a little bit of contact. Apart from all that, the race didn’t come alive too much. Webber’s fight with Alonso and then Hamilton provided some amount of excitement, but it was not nice knowing the win had all but been decided by this point. I’ll give it a five out of ten. It was average; boring for the most part; a handful of exciting moments and it’s ominous indication of just where this title will go is not pleasing in the slightest.

What about Alonso, though? He just keeps pumping in his absolute maximum. If his car was just a little better, his chances would look so much more realistic. As it stands, though, I can’t see past Vettel come the season’s end — which is a crying shame. I don’t feel he’s been as consistently brilliant as Alonso or Hamilton have throughout this year, but the car’s some so good for him when it matters and he just can’t be touched.

15. Adam Blocker (@blockwall2) said on 28th October 2012, 12:26

6- I think it is a really good circuit, one of Tilke’s best, unfortunately a good circuit cannot stop a vettel-red bull domination.