Vote for your 2012 Indian GP driver of the weekend

2012 Indian Grand Prix

Which F1 driver had the best race weekend in India?

Compare all the drivers’ performances below and vote for who you think was the best driver of the Indian Grand Prix weekend.

Indian Grand Prix driver-by-driver

Red Bull

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Buddh International Circuit, 2012Sebastian Vettel – Fastest in both sessions on Friday, Vettel secured passage through Q1 and Q2 using just eight laps. He nearly tripped up with a mistake on his first Q3 lap, but his final effort secured his fifth pole position of the season. He made no mistakes at the start, and never looked like bowing under pressure after Alonso took up second place behind him.

Mark Webber – Had a chance at taking pole position off Vettel but made a mistake at turn three on his final lap. Couldn’t get within range of his team mate at the start but probably wouldn’t have lost second to Alonso had it not been for his KERS problem.

McLaren

Jenson Button – McLaren’s gearbox problems continued in India for both drivers. It cost Button significant running in the second practice session. He took third on the first lap but was demoted by Alonso and Hamilton in the DRS zone, and had a lonely run to fifth. Set fastest lap on the final tour.

Lewis Hamilton – Hamilton’s gearshift problem occurred in the race and necessitated a change of steering wheel which was accomplished with impressive speed. By that time the leading trio were already too far ahead, Hamilton having lost a place to Alonso at the start when he braked slightly too late for turn four. He reeled in Webber at the end but was unable to pass him for third despite getting within DRS range.

Ferrari

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Buddh International Circuit, 2012Fernando Alonso – Before the race Alonso said his first goal was to pass the McLarens and then put pressure on the Red Bulls in the hope that something would go wrong for them. That was exactly how it panned out: he was up to third by lap four, then chased after the Red Bulls. How he must have wished the KERS problem had affected Vettel’s car instead of Webber’s. Second was the best on offer and it keeps him in range of Vettel.

Felipe Massa – Looks scruffy with spins in practice and qualifying, though at least part of that was down to a problem on his car on Friday. Never looked like figuring in the battle with the five cars ahead of him, but used DRS cannily to re-pass Raikkonen when he lost position to the Lotus driver after pitting. Coped with low fuel in the second half of the race to secure sixth.

Mercedes

Michael Schumacher – His race was ruined after minor contact with Vergne on the first lap left him with a puncture. The stewards ruled in his favour after drivers complained he did not respond to blue flags quickly enough.

Nico Rosberg – Rosberg found good performance on the soft tyres after several laps – but that was no use to him in Q3, so he didn’t set a time. In the race he slipped out of the top ten to 11th. He described his weekend as “pretty unsatisfactory”, saying his Mercedes “just didn’t have the pace”.

Lotus

Kimi Raikkonen – Raikkonen blamed the changes he made to his car after final practice for a sub-par showing in qualifying. He started seventh and couldn’t make any headway during the race, losing out in his one chance to pass Massa after his pit stop. Since its Coanda exhaust update in Korea the E20 has been conspicuously lacking in straight-line speed.

Romain Grosjean – Stayed out of trouble and scored points again, though he missed out on Q3 for only the second time this year when he went off at turn six. Got past Rosberg on his way to ninth place.

Force India

Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, Buddh International Circuit, 2012Paul di Resta – Di Resta was distinctly unhappy with his car after the race and said he was unable to finish any higher than 12th. “I?ve struggled to find the ideal balance with the car all weekend,” he said. “We identified a few issues in the data last night, but they carried over into the race.”

Nico Hulkenberg – In the points for the third race in a row, he came out on top in a battle with Grosjean, as he did in Korea. A strong start was key to this, as he jumped up from twelfth to ninth.

Sauber

Kamui Kobayashi – Using a low fuel load in Q2 backfired as an error with his brake balance settings left him 17th on the grid. Had an altercation with Maldonado during the race which resulted in the Williams driver spinning off with a punctured tyre. “It was a bit strange,” said Kobayashi of the collision. “He had overtaken me but then he suddenly came on my racing line again. I could not avoid having contact.” The stewards ruled it was a “racing incident”.

Sergio Perez – Qualified a strong eighth but unusually his tyres went off long before everyone else’s. Picked up a puncture after contact with Ricciardo which ultimately forced him to retire.

Toro Rosso

Daniel Ricciardo – Felt his car improved after switching to the soft tyres but was never in the hunt for points. “Not exactly an exciting race,” he said afterwards.

Jean-Eric Vergne – Knocked out in Q1 for the seventh time this year. Damaged his front wing colliding with Schumacher at the start which spoiled his race.

Williams

Bruno Senna, Williams, Buddh International Circuit, 2012Pastor Maldonado – Got into Q3 but was already slipping backwards when his race was destroyed by a puncture following contact with Kobayashi.

Bruno Senna – Looked quick in practice but failed to make it into Q3. “I made a mistake on my lap which is disappointing because I would have been in the top ten if that hadn?t happened,” he said. However his race pace was good and he passed his team mate early on. Another pass on Rosberg secured his first point since Monza.

Caterham

Heikki Kovalainen – Began the race planning to stop twice but switched to a one-stopper. By half distance he was just over five seconds behind Kobayashi, but KERS failure spoiled the second half of his race.

Vitaly Petrov – Out-qualified Kovalainen for the third time in four races. He dropped behind his team mate and Pic at the start, but soon passed the Marussia. Kovalainen’s KERS failure allowed him to pass his team mate for 15th, but he was later demoted by the recovering Vergne and Maldonado.

HRT

Charles Pic, Marussia, Buddh International Circuit, 2012Pedro de la Rosa – De la Rosa made a terrific start and briefly held 17th before the Caterhams and Marussias came past him. On lap 43 he suffered the latest in a series of brake failures for HRT, putting him into the barrier at turn four.

Narain Karthikeyan – Treated his brakes gently to survive to the end, albeit 40 seconds behind the next car.

Marussia

Timo Glock – Said his car’s long run pace felt good on Friday but couldn’t replicate it in the race, finishing well behind his junior team mate.

Charles Pic – Qualified last but made a great start and held off Petrov for several laps. Finished ten seconds behind Kovalainen but at least half that was down to blue flags late in the race.

Qualifying and race results summary

Started Gap to team mate Laps leading team mate Pitted Finished Gap to team mate
Sebastian Vettel 1st -0.044s 60/60 1 1st -13.217s
Vitaly Petrov 19th -0.744s 20/59 1 17th -8.671s
Pedro de la Rosa 22nd -0.001s 42/42 1
Narain Karthikeyan 23rd +0.001s 0/42 1 21st
Timo Glock 21st -1.049s 3/58 1 20th Not on same lap
Charles Pic 24th +1.049s 55/58 1 19th Not on same lap

Review the race data

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver do you think did the best job this weekend?

Cast your vote below and explain your choice in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the 2012 Indian Grand Prix weekend?

• Sebastian Vettel (27%)
  • Mark Webber (1%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (1%)
  • Jenson Button (0%)
  • Fernando Alonso (59%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Kimi Raikkonen (0%)
  • Romain Grosjean (0%)
  • Paul di Resta (0%)
  • Nico Hulkenberg (3%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (0%)
  • Sergio Perez (0%)
  • Daniel Ricciardo (0%)
  • Jean-Eric Vergne (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)
  • Bruno Senna (4%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (1%)
  • Pedro de la Rosa (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Charles Pic (3%)

Total Voters: 481

Loading ... Loading ...

2012 Indian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Indian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images, Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Sahara Force India F1 Team, Marussia

119 comments on Vote for your 2012 Indian GP driver of the weekend

1 2 3 4
  1. 91jb12 (@91jb12) said on 29th October 2012, 13:48

Tight one- you couls argue Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, Hulkenberg, all 4 did very good jobs

2. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 29th October 2012, 13:53

Voted Vettel. He once more had a perfect weekend. Impressive hos he kept his head cool after he lost his first timed lap in Q3. Alonso did great too, but got a bit lucky when Webber got his KERS failure.

3. rez (@rez0) said on 29th October 2012, 13:59

Vettel and Alonso both had great weekends. I was most impressed by Nico Hülkenberg though. Another successful weekend for him and once again he made his team mate look really slow in comparison. Great show.

4. george1066 (@george1066) said on 29th October 2012, 13:59

I voted Kimi R. If only for the fact that he alone has scored points in the last 14 races on the trot.
    Not even Vettel himself has that kind of form…..even if I have to agree on him winning easily.

5. Zagal (@zagal) said on 29th October 2012, 14:03

Alonso for me. Fighted his way past both MacLarens and never gave up despite Red Bulls pulling away, so he has in the right place to capitalise on Webber’s problems.
    Strong performance in difficult conditions vs. also strong performance, but in not-so-difficult conditions (i.e. Vettel)

6. Alonso. I mean, this guy can stick to the target and make the best out of any situation! It’s uncanny! Getting that Ferrari to at least look on par with the Red Bulls at times is an award-worthy performance.

Notable mentions, in order:
    Vettel – not questioning his driver abilities, the kid is brilliant, but that car is even more so…
    Hulkenberg – strong once again, miles above Di Resta
    Webber – if it wasn’t for the KERS issue there’s no way he could have lost 2nd place to Alonso
    Hamilton & Button – both doing a good job
    Rosberg – the guy was on rails the whole race, clean driving at its best. Too bad that W03 is such a sloth.

• tigen (@tigen) said on 29th October 2012, 19:04

I’ll have to agree with this post. Vettel was near perfect, but the fact is that winning from the front is always going to be less interesting than scrapping around in the field behind.

Alonso was impressive… he finished about where the car’s race pace allowed, given Webber’s issue, but had to use all of his speed, determination and racecraft to put himself there.

Hulkenberg arguably was the best of the lot just looking at his finish in 8th, ahead of Grosjean, Rosberg, Senna, his teammate, etc. and not making mistakes. Hard to compare this low-profile result with Alonso.

Button was damn impressive on the first lap but the mid-race pace wasn’t there. Might be the car’s fault but you can’t know.

7. vickyy (@vickyy) said on 29th October 2012, 14:13

I voted Vettel here and Alonso on jamesallenonf1, both have different meaning.

• I voted Vettel; he was only a fastest lap away from yet another perfect weekend. Alonso wasn’t going to catch him for a minute. Alonso drove well, but Vettel was in a different league. Ferrari had similar race-pace but Alonso barely made a dent in his lead, in fact he was slower in the first stint.

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 30th October 2012, 13:15

I think we have to judge situations with some logic (i always respect all the opinions & first of all all the peoples but that doesn’t mean that sometimes we can’t criticize what seems sometimes illogical ), we can argue who is the driver of the weekend
        Vettel has drove very well after all he won the race that’s enough for me to vote him the driver of the weekend no matter the car he’s driving except if another driver did an extraordinary race
        Fernando did an extraordinary race (that’s what is always expected from the best driver on the grid) first lap always on fire & driving absolutely on the limits

Yes he was in a different league, the league of Adrian Newey the league that enables him to be faster than anyone else on the grid
        to suggest that Alonso was slower than Vettel on the first stint when they have similar race pace without pensioning the fact that he was fighting 2 Mclarens & 1 Red Bull while Vettel was on clean air is absolutely controversial
        Alonso himself said that this was one of his greatest drive (60 qualifying laps !!!),
        Every one has the right to express his own opinion & i think that Vettel will win the DTW but sometimes when we try to hide the truth it becomes absolutely disrespectful

• I respect Alonso’s ability and he did run a good race, but when he was passed the McLarens he continued to fall back. He wasn’t going to catch Vettel.

Yet again people are dismissing his skill as being due to Newey’s skill in designing. Granted, Newey has definitely unlocked some speed in that Red Bull, but Vettel has utilised it brilliantly. You don’t get 4 wins in a row if your a slow driver.

All I ask is that you also recognise that Vettel is a good driver, perhaps one of the greats, as Schumacher was (nobody doubts his ability even though his Ferrari was undoubtably the fastest car by a long, long way – a much greater margin than the RB8 has over the current Ferrari).

I don’t doubt that Fernando Alonso is probably the quickest driver on the grid (but not by the margins that have been suggested in my view) and in return I think others shouldn’t doubt Vettel’s speed.

• Broom (@brum55) said on 30th October 2012, 14:08

The Red-Bull is in a different league. Especially in qualifying and the 1st few laps of the GP.

8. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 29th October 2012, 14:24

I went for Vettel. He was perfect all weekend except I think he wished he would have pushed a little bit harder on that final lap.

I think there’s a good chance Alonso will end up winning this poll, given the amount of praise he’s been given over the past 24 hours, e.g. in the sense that he is ‘relentless’ and ‘never gives up’. I don’t really understand all the praise, and I find it a little irksome if I’m honest. Of course he doesn’t give up; neither does Narain Kartikeyan, or any of the other drivers for that matter. He had a good car, and he made good use of it. Whether he made better use of his car than anyone else is difficult to say, except for Felipe Massa, but that’s hardly a reliable yardstick this season.

Of course, he did pass some people on his way to third, but those were not moves that required incredible skill. On the first lap, he got a run on both McLarens who compromised each other’s exits out of turn 3, then motorway-passed his way past Button and an ailing Red Bull.

A very good drive by Alonso, to be sure, but I still feel that either the qualifying speed of the Ferrari – or Fernando’s inability to get the best out of it on Saturdays – is flattering Alonso’s performances on a Sunday.

• suka (@suka) said on 29th October 2012, 15:05

I really find it funny how people want to discredit other drivers that they did not vote for.
      I think you just proved Alonso was the driver of the weekend if anything but for your long excuse why he in your opinionm, should not be.

• @suka – I think the Vettel bashing is extremely disrespectful. He is the fastest driver in the world right now (I think he’s more than a match for Alonso in his current form). I also find it incredibly irritating when people dismiss his talent as “down to the car” and then proceed to suggest Alonso is flattering that Ferrari. In actual fact, the Ferrari is most likely the second (possibly third) fatest car on the grid and he is scoring podiums because that’s what that car’s capable of, just as Vettel’s won the last 4 races because his Red Bull is the fastest car. They are both doing equally good jobs for their machinery but Vettel is the one that is winning races from it so I believe that he was driver of the weekend (we can see from Webber the difference the driver makes).

• suka (@suka) said on 31st October 2012, 12:02

@vettel1, I was not bashing at Vettel only at his fans sometimes.
          With all the respect to Webber as a person, I really can’t take Webber as the benchmark for Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, Raikkonen or even Button.

• @suka – I probably wasn’t clear enough on that. I wasn’t saying that you necessarily were “Vettel bashing”, just the general Alonso fan base in particular do. I understand your frustrations!

• suka (@suka) said on 1st November 2012, 7:06

@vettel1, Oh I get it, you’re stating what I’ve already said about Vettel’s fans. If I understood it that way(English second language), I wouldn’t bother replying.
          I’am glad you understand my “sweet” frustration since Alonso obviously is the Driver of the Weekend. Hamilton or Hulkenberg would also do to my liking.
          Thanks for proving my points above true.

• @suka – No, you evidently have misunderstood. I am saying that I don’t generally appreciate how my favourite drivers’ talent is normally dismissed as being solely down to the car, which is clearly not the case.

If Vettel wins by a large margin (such as he did in India) this is always the immediate conclusion people jump to, in particular rival fans (such as Alonso, but by no means all of Alonso’s fans).

You in fact have just backed up my opinion; I respect Alonso’s talent immensely – he is currently for sure one of the top two drivers in the world. He had ran a good race and I think he did well, but of course we are all entitled to our own opinions and I believe Vettel was better on this occasion – he was all but untouchable and Alonso wasn’t able to apply any pressure to him such was his lead.

I was trying to sympathise with you, but I’m not going to now.

• suka (@suka) said on 1st November 2012, 11:02

@Vettel1, I agree that we all fans sometimes overlook your favourite driver’s talent due to his great car; clear example was in Belgium but not on this occasion where RBR qualified around .300 and .500sec ahead of Hamilton and Alonso respectively.

• mharker said on 29th October 2012, 18:50

@adrianmorse I agree. Everyone seems to take for granted that Alonso’s Ferrari is crap and it’s only due to Alonso’s supreme efforts that that car can achieve anything. The Ferrari seemed better than the McLarens on Sunday. Everyone seems to be praising Alonso a whole lot these days…

I totally agree with this. Alonso is very good no doubt, but still we can’t really know how good or bad that car really is.

But all in all Alonso did drive really well on Sunday. But better than Vettel? I’d say they were both really good.

• stirper said on 30th October 2012, 12:28

@suka i agree with you.

9. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 29th October 2012, 14:25

I voted Alonso today because he dragged that Ferrari to a position where it doesn’t belong. He continues to prove he is the best package on the grid and that an excellent driver does make a difference.

• brny666 said on 29th October 2012, 18:58

That Ferrari was miles ahead of the Maccas on race pace, especially on the softs where he pulled substantial gap on them. Only reason Massa couldn’t keep pushing is because he was told on lap 20 something that fuel level is critical and had to tip-toe around for the rest of the race. Alonso put that Ferrari right where it belonged and then because he was in such a position he could pass a KERS compromised Webber for second. A very good drive from him but nothing god like as some people would like to believe. If he managed to pass Vettel and win then I would have said that he put that car where it didn’t belong, yet Vettel seemsto be impervious to Alonso’s “god like” powers and won the race.

10. Younger Hamii (@younger-hamii) said on 29th October 2012, 14:36

I think we need to seek clarification as to what is ‘Driver of the Weekend’ because why the majority is in favour of Alonso as well as Schumacher having votes instead of someone like Hamilton or Hulkenberg is almost beyond me.

Unquestionably, he had a strong weekend on par with Vettel’s & stands out more given he fought & persevered brilliantly as well as being on the limit as per usual to get his ultimate result but Vettel’s strong weekend personally is more notable throughout the entirety of the weekend compared to Alonso’s, which originated mostly from his performance in the race, yes race day is when points are won but people need to take into account the form demonstrated in practice & qualifying sessions. I’m sorry but if you’re going to be voting solely for entertainment purposes rather than driver performance, then don’t bother clicking the ‘vote’ button when you’ve made your selection.

Also, what about mentions for Hamilton, Hulkenberg & Senna? Hamilton didn’t put a finger wrong that was proven costly throughout the weekend, the only negative for him was McLaren’s pace not being strong enough, particularly in the first stint & the issues he had with his steering wheel. Hulkenberg out-performed Di Resta almost convincingly & put himself in a enviable position to score points at the start & Senna pretty much translated his encouraging pace & form in practice into a good race.

11. Pedro Costa (@pnunocosta) said on 29th October 2012, 14:41

It was between Alonso and Vettel and I went for Alonso. Of course that Vettel had a clean weekend, very fast in all sessions, dominated the race and so on… but Alonso had to fight two Mclaren´s and a RB (yes MW had a Kers problem but did Ham took advantage of it?).
    In conclusion I prefer to highlight a man who is second but has to make his way up the order than another who has by far the best car and can control a race from the first to the last lap without a great effort.

12. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 29th October 2012, 14:43

Argh, Alonso or Vettel. I can’t decide :/

13. tmax (@tmax) said on 29th October 2012, 14:45

Voted Vettel. “Driver of the Weekend”. No questions about that. He was making the car flow seamlessly through the circuit. He just dominated the weekend.

There is lots of praise from media, Ferrari( Of course) and even Martin Brundale as to Alonso Does not give up. I don’t understand what everyone expect with 4 races to go and 6 points difference !!!! Did they think Alonso would park his car and Say I give up and walk away. I am a great fan of Alonso too. But he just drove a normal race. He stuck to the plan. Like he said the mclaren duo did not bother to think that he was behind them. So overtaking them was easy. Even otherwise the Mclaren cars were not at their best. They would have been overtaken. Then overtaking Webber who was without KERS was just a formality, one more lap Lewis would have overtaken him. It does not mean that Alonso did badly but he did nothing extraordinary.

As far as driver of the weekend. Alonso and Massa both qualified close to each other. Nothing significant from Alonso there. I am having a feeling that Maasa is in a better form than Alsonso last couple of weeks but Ferrari is trying to tone him down. In fact Massa had car troubles during the weekend still qualified and finished well.

14. Nixon (@nixon) said on 29th October 2012, 14:46

Alonso.
    They way he calculates an overtake is just mind blowing. He could have out braked one of the mclarens after he got between them but decided to play it smart, slow in and fast out; Another example is on grosjean. Also if he didnt push he might have not been able to catch webber when he got the KERS problem. Good inspiration and driving style to anyone involved in motorsports.

15. I won’t say who I ended up voting for but my top 3 (in no order) were:
    Vettel, Alonso, Pic.

All outperformed their team-mates and drove above the car (…maybe Vettel didn’t, but credit where it’s due!!)

1 2 3 4