‘Alonso is more accurate than Vettel’ – Hamilton

F1 Fanatic round-up

Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, Barcelona, 2012In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton says other drivers would do as well as Sebastian Vettel if they had his car.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Hamilton: Alonso is better than Vettel (The Telegraph)

“I think lots of people in the paddock wish they could have Adrian [Newey?s] car so they could show that they?re just as competitive as Sebastian. Fernando, for me, is more accurate. He hits all the apexes. Sebastian misses four apexes on a single lap and still goes quickest. He goes off and he still goes quickest. And I think ‘Holy crap, I couldn?t do that lap even if I was on the limit?. His car is just that far ahead of everyone else’s.”

Hamilton sceptical of McLaren pole chance (BBC)

“Asked if he had a chance of pole, Hamilton said: ‘Honestly, no. But I’m going to give it my all. The last four races have been won by a certain guy. But if we get ahead it will be a huge bonus.’”

Teams told trick brake systems illegal (Autosport)

“The team contended that attempts to use either a bimetallic strip – which would change shape to open and close off cooling ducts depending on the temperature of the brake friction material – or a thermal actuator was a breach of the regulations.”

Martin Whitmarsh feels the pain of not winning a title for McLaren (The Guardian)

“Arguably we have been too conservative and risk-averse in regulation interpretation. Given our brand and our position, I think we are more risk-averse. There are things that have happened which, had our engineers come to me and said we’re going to do this, I’d have said forget it. I’d rather campaign for clearer, less ambiguous regulations.”

Formula One teams face fee hike for 2013 (Reuters)

“The new measure should raise at least $16 million in extra revenue for the governing body, whose own budgets are under pressure.”

The payment structure is described in the latest version of the 2013 Sporting Regulations which can be found here.

Thoughts of the future (ESPN)

Heikki Kovalainen: “The fact is I don’t bring any money, I told my management not to collect money, I don’t want to do that. If somebody was coming and backing me and supporting me then fine, but I don’t like that idea. If I’m not good enough here to stay just with my own skills then so be it, it doesn’t bother me too much. That’s life. That’s how the world is going nowadays, that’s what the teams need, they need money so if that’s what our team is going to do then it’s their decision and there’s nothing I can do about it.”

Lotus drivers happy on day one (Sky)

Kimi Raikkonen: “It didn’t feel nice, the car, but the lap time seems to be pretty okay. Hopefully we should improve and it should mean that we should get a bit more closer than we were today.”

Q&A – Franz Tost on STR retaining Ricciardo, Vergne (F1)

“I am not entirely satisfied. The performance of the car is not on the level I would want it to be, or that I had expected. The car is too slow. Period. We definitely have to sort that out because next year we should have drivers with enough experience to get somewhere with a good car, preferably at the front of the midfield.”

F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone ??not concerned? about Bahrain GP despite ongoing protests, violence (The Waskington Post)

“I wasn?t concerned this year and I?m not concerned for next year.”

Yas Circuit chief Richard Cregan has unfinished business in Abu Dhabi (The National)

“You look at the places like Spa and Monza or Suzuka and they are incredible circuits that have an amazing heritage and have been at it for more than 20 years. This is only our fourth grand prix, so while they all have a great status in the business, what we have achieved here in four years is quite amazing.”

Ferrari break F1 curfew to help Fernando Alonso title bid (The Independent)

“A Ferrari spokesman said the staff had arrived after daybreak and, extolling the quality of the team’s espresso coffee machine, suggested with a smile that they had simply wanted to enjoy a ‘nice Italian breakfast’.”

Gov. Rick Perry today helped kick off the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix (KWKT)

Governor Rick Perry: “The U.S. Grand Prix will bring 1.2 million visitors to Central Texas, and is an opportunity to demonstrate to people from around the world everything we have to offer in the Lone Star State as a tourism destination, and as a place to live and work”

Post Race Analysis: 2012 Airtel Indian Grand Prix (Alfons Jose F1)

“At the main grandstand, I encountered a person in his late seventies trying desperately hard to convince a security personal to allow him to carry water to his seat. He begged and tried to reason with the guard that he would have to traverse three flights of stairs every time he was thirsty and all this, despite paying 30,000 Rupees for the “comfort” a watching a race at the prime location.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

The Limit on McLaren’s lack of championship success in recent seasons:

Everyone already has written off Mercedes even before the 2013 season has started, so for me, the pressure is on McLaren next year and on Martin Whitmarsh especially.

The Lewis Hamilton fixation the media has has deflected attention away from McLaren?s quite embarrassing decline this season, from a front running team in Australia to nothing but an also ran.

Jenson Button has a point. Hamilton?s departure is a loss to the team, but a bigger concern must be why their cars have been so inconsistent for the past several years. Button mentions Hamilton?s championship title of 2008, McLaren?s sole achievement since 1999.

We were led to believe that the Whitmarsh era, more open and apparently relaxed than that of Ron Dennis, would bare fruit. It has, so far, failed miserably and garnered more scandals than actual results.
The Limit

Paul di Resta, Force India, Yas Marina, 2012And if you were wondering why the Force India cars are running with the slogan “Wendy & Keith Murray” this weekend, have a read of the comments here and here.

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today.

On this day in F1

Three-times world champions Nelson Piquet’s F1 career came to a low-key end on this day 21 years ago.

Piquet’s final start came in the 1991 Australian Grand Prix which was red-flagged and abandoned after just 14 laps due to heavy rain.

Piquet tried to persuade chief engineer Giorgio Ascanelli (latterly of Toro Rosso) to let him turn some unofficial laps after the race was called off, but was not allowed to, and the curtain came down on a career which included three world championship and 23 Grand Prix wins.

Images ?? Jamey Price for F1 Fanatic, Sahara Force India F1 Team

95 comments on ‘Alonso is more accurate than Vettel’ – Hamilton

1. seanus said on 3rd November 2012, 6:48

I really admire Kovaleinens approach to the driver market. He’s probably not going to get a drive next year because of it (there aren’t many seats left either) but I don’t like the expectation now that drivers have to bring money to get a drive. I don’t know of any job (hell of a job I know but still true) or sports where you’re expected to ‘pay’ for your place. It just seems like a lazy option for the teams to me, the driver does the work of gathering sponsors for them. What would the Williams, Sauber and (to an extent) Ferrari look like without Maldonado, Perez and Alonso at the team?

• Kimi4WDC said on 3rd November 2012, 8:35

You are spot on mate.

Team them self are too greedy and lazy, mostly cause now they have shareholders. Dare you not maximize the shareholders wealth!!!

This whole thing is broken, as while they try to build a sustainable business, they loose the essence of why Formula One is Formula One. Soon it will become just another business to milk money.

I wish Bernie was 50 once again, but he is frankly too old to deal with all the new crapmeisters trying to get a slice of the pie.

• Kimi4WDC said on 3rd November 2012, 8:44

As to what they will do, with out the money drivers bring in. They will be just fine, they will find other means.

Frank Williams parked his F1 car in front of the hotel where Saudi sheik was staying in order to get his attention.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 3rd November 2012, 10:52

The teams rely on drivers to bring sponsors from their own market. Sauber were always more likely to bring sponsor money from Mexico once they had a Mexican driving for them…

2. geekracer2000 (@geekracer2000) said on 3rd November 2012, 9:26

Vettel must be doing SOMETHING right, as he is beating the crap out of Lewis and for that matter Webber to who sits in that same Adrian Newey made car.

• “Vettel must be doing SOMETHING right, as he is beating the crap out of Lewis ”

Erm no, McLaren have gifted this year to both Alonso and Vettel.

Lewis would have had this season practically sewn up by now if it wasnt for the catalogue of errors by his team.

3. I think this comment is showing Hamilton’s weakness. Red Bull have beaten McLaren and so Hamilton is now no longer getting pole positions. He clearly doesn’t like this, so he is trying to destabilise Vettel’s mindset. I doubt this would work as Vettel is renowned for his qualifying speed and his ability to cope with immense pressure (just look at the Indian GP qualifying).

There is a certain element of jealousy I think also: Hamitlon used to be the star rookie but Vettel has taken the gauntlet well and truly from his grasp, and he is helpless to take it back. Siding with Alonso seems to be a good way to exact revenge in his mindset, but I think he’ll be put to silence at the chequered flag.

• sid90 (@sid90) said on 3rd November 2012, 12:00

@vettel1 you should read the whole article, that wasn’t all what Lewis said, he actually did praise Seb, you seem to be conjuring up random things…

• @sid90 – I have, and I still stand by my point. He is doing what everyone else does that shows he has little intelligence and that infuriates me so much, by belittling his talent as “down to the car”. Yes, you need a car advantage to score poles but just look at Clark for a prime example. Nobody disputed his talent, yet (at least when it didn’t break down) his car was easily the class of the field.

He did praise Vettel, but he also made the initial comment that grabs teg headlines; saying he is innacurate and making himself out as if he is several times better than Vettel – which strikes me as a bit arrogant considering he is 75 points behind in the WDC.

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 3rd November 2012, 11:12

…yet Vettel still brings home the points. Perhaps Hamilton is feeling a little removed from his team that he forgets the importance of team work.

Newey could design the next McLaren but without a talented guy behind the wheel who can work his his cars OR a team who are competent enough to not make strategic mistakes (McLaren) or change a set of wheels consistently (McLaren) it counts for approximately nothing.

5. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 3rd November 2012, 11:12

‘His car is just that far ahead of everyone elses’

At the beginning of the season, McLaren had the best car, but I seem to recall that both their drivers and the team failed to capitalize on that awesome package.
    Vettel, however, has been able to use his car, and with regard to vettel being less accurate, maybe it’s just a slight variation on the racing line for him at certain corners?
    A good driver is always willing to experiment and learn constantly; maybe that’s what Vettel is doing perhaps?

The general attitude to dominance appears to have changed over the years; Jim Clark never drove a bad car; his cars were almost always the class of the field, but he is still regarded as (in my opinion) the greatest driver ever, because he used the car to full effect, and pretty much dominated the sport in a similair fashion to Vettel, and he completely crushed his team-mates, like Vettel is doing, yet Jim is regarded as great, and Vettel is only seen as having a great car, and when he doesn’t win, he’s a rubbish driver; when he does, it’s only the car.

Aditionally, Prost and Senna never really drove rubbish cars, and they’re regarded as (and it pains me to write this) true greats.

6. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 3rd November 2012, 11:24

I don’t understand why everyone always has to have a go at Vettel? The drivers do it and the fans do it. It’s weird because in his short time in F1, he has been amazingly good.

Everyone says he only wins because he has the best car (ignoring his win in the Toro Rosso…) but at times, Hamilton has had the best car and hasn’t won and the same goes for Button, Alonso, Webber and Massa. In addition to that, if it was Alonso driving around in the best car, everyone would say that it’s Alonso’s contribution to the car that has improved it as they did with Schumacher back in the day.

Vettel is 25 and is 2 wins away from being a 3 time champion. If anyone else did that, regardless of what car they were in, they would be classed as a legend.

7. The Limit said on 3rd November 2012, 12:13

I think Hamilton’s comments are typical and a big factor into why he hasn’t won more championships. He always seems so intent on what others are doing, making crass comments, rather than on his job itself. The whole affair with Jenson Button following him on Twitter (or not) as it turned out, is not what you expect from a professional sportsman. It was benign, petty, and embarrassing not only for Hamilton but for Formula One as a whole. Sharing McLaren data (again via Twitter) to the world is something I have never heard of in any other form of motorsports, and all because Button won pole position in the sister McLaren.
    For all of Vettel’s faults, as he sometimes can throw the odd tantrum, you don’t hear him make comments like these. It does show weakness, and it also shows that the other drivers are resigned to the fact that they have been beaten when such comments are made. Jenson Button, on the other hand, was more sporting! ‘Vettel deserves it’ was Jenson’s answer recently following the German’s fourth straight win, the first man since Aryton Senna in 1989 to achieve this. That must have upset Hamilton, a man who would have relished matching Senna’s record in the way Sebastien has.
    As Vettel cruises, so it seems, to a third straight championship, he will set another record. Only the third driver in F1 history to win three titles in a row after Schumacher and Fangio. And all at only twenty five years of age in a car and team that only appear to become stronger with every season. Is Hamilton jealous, you bet he is!!

8. dennis (@dennis) said on 3rd November 2012, 13:12

I hope I’m not the only one who thinks it is unworthy of a has-been F1 champion to constantly talk smack about other drivers. “This car is so much better, *cry cry cry*”

9. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 3rd November 2012, 16:29

Sour grapes much Lewis? Please be sure to show us your amazing accuracy next year when you’re rocking that Mercedes.

• Mash27 said on 4th November 2012, 0:21

LOL. This will be satisfying.
      I’m not a Vettel fan but I hate it when he doesn’t get the credit he has earned. Lewis had his chance and made a dog’s breakfast of his car advantage in 2008. In fairness, he would be world’s youngest double world champion if it weren’t for some very pecularly occurances at the end of 2007.

10. uan (@uan) said on 3rd November 2012, 17:33

i think the issue with the apex is more complex than Lewis is making it out to be. A fast lap is often about hooking up a series of corners throughout the entire lap and sometimes a driver compromises one corner to be set up to take the next corner or series of corners faster.

There’s a level of confirmation bias going on here, even among drivers, and most certainly fans. Facts are picked that support how one generally feels. The real issue is that Vettel is 25 years old and has the stats of some of the legends over their entire careers.

With regards to Alonso, Alonso says he’s driving better now than when he won his 2 WDCs and there’s more agreement among everyone that he is. Hopefully he’s a better driver now then he was 5-7 years ago. It also helps that he’s had to slog it out over the last few years. Vettel will undoubtably improve as a driver over the next several years as well.

But the stats are the stats and Vettel has been epic. 99 races, 26 wins, 35 poles, even in the quickest car on the grid (though not always the most reliable) is not a fluke.

11. leotef (@leotef) said on 4th November 2012, 7:58

I wonder why so many seemingly Vettel’s fans here are so sensitively responding on Hamilton’s comment. LoL.
    You guys don’t need to say like, stats are stats, must be jealous, groundless attack, arrogant, bla bla. If you truely believe the modern greatest, so be it. But not everybody share your view and let it be too. No need to say ‘so you are better?’ ‘apex doesn’t matter’ ‘no wrong in having the best car cuz he is the best’ kind of elementary defense.
    Hamilton just said in terms of precision, Alo was better than Vet and even missing the apexes several times, can make it to a pole meant him or to drivers indirect evidence of RB car’s superiority, or you guys would like to call it, the driver’s superiority.
    I am not at all Hamilton’s fan neither Alonso’s fan. But reading these makes me become Hamilton’s fan as well as Vettel’s anti-fan. LOL.