Rate the race: 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Yas Marina, 2012What did you think of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

[poll id="374"]

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

321 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

1. TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 4th November 2012, 15:09

Absolutely fantastic race. Best of the season.

It was a pleasure to watch World Champion drives from Kimi, Lewis, Fernando and Seb.

2. PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 4th November 2012, 15:09

Think this one is going to be one of the highest rated since this poll started. I think I could agree with it, as it was probably the tensest race I’ve witnessed. There were exciting incidents and on track racing, which were brilliant, and a fantastic drive from the entire podium. Plus, Kimi’s messages, and now on the podium, were also brilliant.

Gets a 9 from me as it was a great race, but -1 as my driver got robbed of a possible victory by a ridiculously unreliable car. Every race makes me more glad he’s leaving McLaren, as he seems to be becoming a better man for it, looking more relaxed, and I think this challenge will be so good for him. He may not be winning next year, but that’s not the biggest issue.

Anyway, great race, and weirdly enough much like Valencia, on a track which doesn’t normally produce great racing.

3. sw280 (@sw280) said on 4th November 2012, 15:09

10 – great race – not the result I wanted though

4. 10/10 for Kimi’s radio messages and the awkward podium swearing by him and Seb
    the race was almost as entertaining

5. andae23 (@andae23) said on 4th November 2012, 15:10

I gave Valencia a 9, because there was no real charge for the lead. Based on that logic, I had to give this one a 10!

6. Calum (@calum) said on 4th November 2012, 15:12

That race was absolutely exhilarating!
    Quite simply the race of the season.

10/10

7. Roger Camp (@rogercamp) said on 4th November 2012, 15:16

What a race! Nail biting, my feet were sweating from the start. Finally, the so expected win from Kimi happens. I just can’t wait to see the race in COTA. Should be awesome.

8. Bob (@bobthevulcan) said on 4th November 2012, 15:17

What a stunning race.

I can honestly say there was never a boring moment. We had chaos at the start, and following that, loads of nice battles near the top of the order. The horrific shunt between Rosberg and Karthikeyan paved the way for a bunched-up field, while Hamilton’s retirement and the many collisions made for a massive dose of unpredictability. There were innumerable tangles about the midfield – Vettel’s run-in with Ricciardo, and the chain accident of Perez and Webber. Not the best racing per se, but undoubtedly exciting.

The closing stages of the race sealed the deal. You had four world champions duking it out – Alonso pushing to catch Raikkonen, Button and Vettel dueling professionally. The tension was unbearable before and after Vettel’s pass on the McLaren, while Alonso chasing down Raikkonen had me on the edge of my seat.

And to cap it all, a feel-good victory – Raikkonen finally clinching that elusive comeback win with a very measured drive, and some hilarious team radio moments along the way. Never thought I would give a perfect 10 to an Abu Dhabi race, but the last 2 hours just proved me wrong.

9. Cryptowillem (@cryptowillem) said on 4th November 2012, 15:21

9. Was going to be 8, but the podium made it better! :P

World-class drives from all the top three!

10. Prof Kirk (@prof-kirk) said on 4th November 2012, 15:22

this race will stir a lot of juicy controversy.

10/10

11. adamtys (@adamtys) said on 4th November 2012, 15:25

one less safety car and it would be 10!

12. kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 4th November 2012, 15:26

Is there a poll for the best post race interview? Because, this was surely it!

• Drop Valencia! said on 4th November 2012, 23:20

Schumachers last interview where he waffled on in english instead of german actually made kimi smile, unbeliveable, but it was cut from most english speaking broadcasts, that was my favourite, i think Seb was just trying to out-Kimi Kimi here.

13. this race proved nothing about vet. he made one overtake against competetive car – button and also with fresher softer tyres. he made 3 quite big mistakes and only thanks to competarors crashing out and 2 sc he finished 3rd.

14. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 4th November 2012, 15:36

I think everyone is going to be baffled that Abu Dhabi of all places produced such an exciting race. But what would F1 be without Kimi and his epic replies. On another note, Seb just used the f – word in UAE which is an offense, enough to get you deported. Also I don’t think your’e allowed to swear on tv right? Reprimand for Seb?

• MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 4th November 2012, 15:45

Oh but mainly, the race was fantastic. I think if a formula for a perfect F1 race were to be devised then , lead changing hands, battles for 1st 2nd and 3rd, few good overtakes, some silly mistakes thrown in with a safety car and some hilarious radio chatter should be it. That said all of the champions drove like champions. Lewis must be thinking that he can not get out of McLaren fast enough and McLaren must be looking at Perez and wondering what the signed up for. Looks like Maldonado dropped his bad driving skills and Sergio picked them up. And most important, The title fight is Still Alive.

• Raikkonen swore as well on the podium, think he said something like ‘you lot give me’ **** for not smiling enough’ haha. Raikkonen winning has just made my weekend, those radio comments just reinforced why I am such a fan of his.

His race engineer is nervous and petrified, I imagine he’s not won too many races in the past; and then Kimi on is just so relaxed, like there’s nothing to worry about.

• as he was kimi’s race engineer at McLaren I imagine mark slade has seen a few victories in his time

• MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 5th November 2012, 7:49

I caught that as well, Kimi saying that you give me a lot of ****. Funnily enough when Kimi says it, it feels appropriately placed :) ! But I just loved the radio exchanges between Kimi and his engineer. They should make it mandatory to transmit at least 2 exchanges per race.

• icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 4th November 2012, 16:23

and the man should also keep it simple and short during interviews

15. Nicholas (@mclarennyc) said on 4th November 2012, 15:38

Suspicions confirmed by Abu Dhabi: Kimi does care about winning; Fernando’s car isn’t fast enough to win; Vettel and RBR deserve this championship; Button is a true racer; Lewis is right to try a new team… And these guys (+ few others) are in a league apart from the crash test dummies behind them!