Rate the race: 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Yas Marina, 2012What did you think of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (1%)
  • 6 (1%)
  • 7 (4%)
  • 8 (21%)
  • 9 (35%)
  • 10 (36%)

Total Voters: 787

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

321 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

1. A race that didn’t have it all and that panned out to be not so great for the championship fight (contrary to any expectation) but, it’s been a complete thrill from start to finish, a strategic challenge from lap 1 to lap 55, and a race that got the best and the worst out of almost all the drivers on the grid. It also delivered a surprise winner, a couple of runner-ups who fought till the very last lap and almost a straightforward fight between the two championship contenders. I can’t rate such an event lower than 9.

Who would have thought Valencia and Abu Dhabi will host the most chaotic and intense races this season?

2. rrrev (@rrrev) said on 4th November 2012, 15:40

Kimi’s got a bit of talent..gets the job done minus the ********…awesome

3. JPedroCQF1 (@joao-pedro-cq) said on 4th November 2012, 15:44

Never thought to say this, but Abu Dhabi was EVEN BETTER than Valencia! I love Formula One when it’s upside down!

4. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 4th November 2012, 15:44

8 out of 8, as good as it gets around this rubbish track. Action packed race but I’m glad it finished when it did – the field was spreading out to the usual train 1 second apart round here.

5. I Love the Pope said on 4th November 2012, 15:45

Great race – 10. DRive of the year by Vettel.

6. mixwell (@mixwell) said on 4th November 2012, 15:45

safety car or not, if this race doesn’t prove (or close to prove for the fanboys) that Seb can drive, folks who doubt should rather watch something where all cars are matched. .YES the safety car helped, but that was just superb. No doubt that Alo / Kimi drove great as well.

Also, i think JB and Alo should create “an idiots guide to overtaking” for those drivers who were involved in those accidents. .this race really separated the dumb ones from the upper class, in my opinion.

• Roberto38 said on 5th November 2012, 2:25

I agree mixwell, but I think it should be Raikonnen creating the guide.. he is the perfect example of a driver who knows when to back off and when to engage!

• panache (@panache) said on 5th November 2012, 3:21

In terms of close wheel-to-wheel action involving overtakes and defensive driving I think Button, Raikonnen, Hamilton and Alonso are noticably better than the rest of the field in no particular order. I can’t objectively identify any single driver amongst these four as superior in this discipline.

Button and Raikonnen are very comparable in terms of risk taking and consistency during close wheel-to-wheel action, always hard but fair with exceptional awareness of proximity to their rivals in situations that could easily end badly.

Hamilton and Alonso are also comparable with each other in my opinion. They both tend to take slightly bigger calculated risks than Button or Raikonnen, meaning more frequent truly amazing overtakes but also a few more costly collisions in the long run.

This is why we can experience epic racing without incident between these drivers such as the start of the Indian GP.

7. wecaz (@wecaz) said on 4th November 2012, 15:46

This is a super drama. I have never expected such an interesting race. It feels like a nicely scripted race movie. Top three drivers of the 2012 get the podium at the end.

Kimi’s radio talk was amazing!! He is a bully on the track and this gives him energy.
    I am so happy the no driver got hurt, I was so scared for Kartikayen. These stunts are only good in movies.

At the end, it has been a nice end entertaining day.

8. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 4th November 2012, 15:49

Yas Marina has treated us to an epic race (if not an epic battle for the championship). The track is actually quite good but the problem lies with the fact that the race is held towards the end of the season which means, teams have cracked the tires and also we still get some good battles.

Remember, not all tracks in Europe considered, “historic” have had elevation changes! Even Silverstone doesn’t provide too many exciting races (barring tire wear and rain), yet it is liked due to it’s history.

I think Abu Dhabi gives good races and certainly far better than Valencia.

9. Dion (@infinitygc) said on 4th November 2012, 15:51

It seems as if they put all of India and Korea’s action, plus the leftovers from Japan and added it to the tension that Abu Dhabi brought! 10/10

10. James (@goodyear92) said on 4th November 2012, 15:55

It’s been an exciting race, but not an enjoyable one as a Lewis supporter. This, just like Singapore, was an almost certain win for him, and he’s denied the spoils through no fault of his own. It’s been a painful season to be honest, and this is just one of many disasters that have seen his title hopes perish. I still believe he’d have been the victor come the end, had he not suffered so much at the hands of his team and machine. I suppose that’s just racing. I think he also hit the nail on the head in regards to Vettel’s drive in his interview with Sky Sports. He said Vettel has to be the luckiest guy in F1. His driving at the start was appalling, much like Webber’s later on, and he gained about 30s over the rest of the field thanks to the Safety Car and his own embarrassing stunts behind Daniel (has he forgotten his braking behind the SC in Singapore so soon?) which prompted him to pit and set in motion his gains towards a podium. Not a great drive if you look at the facts. He lucked out. That is all. Anyone who says otherwise is just a fanatical fool. I wouldn’t be proud of that drive from Lewis or Fernando. I also think it’s worth pointing out that Martin, Damon, Stefano and Lewis all referred to it as good fortune, as opposed to some display of extreme talent from Vettel. That says all you need to know. I also didn’t much care for his imitation of Kimi on the podium. Was there any reason either had to swear? Let alone Vettel, who doesn’t normally use that type of language and his use of which just came across as copying Kimi at that time.

So, not happy in terms of the drivers I support (Alonso’s brilliant efforts masked by his failiure to reduce the gap to Vettel by the necessary amount, thanks to Vettel’s copious fortunes during the race), but it was one of the best events this year. I think it’s a nine out of ten from me. Happy for Kimi to finally get that win, I suppose.

• Styxbe (@styxbe) said on 4th November 2012, 17:21

So as an Hamilton fan you only have 3 lines to talk about Lewis, but need about 20 lines to talk down Vettel’s performance in order to feel confident in your belief of Lewis’ superiority ?

• F1fanNL (@) said on 4th November 2012, 17:37

@goodyear92

I wouldn’t be proud of that drive from Lewis or Fernando.

I seriously doubt that. In fact I’m fairly confident commenters like you would be extatic if Hamilton (or Alonso) had done what Vettel did today. Just look at the reactions on Alonso’s drive in Valencia. Lucked his way to third, passed Grosjean with was the only impressive pass of Alonso that race and then got gifted the victory when Vettel retired.

Nothing wrong with the comments on Alonso for Valencia. Something wrong with using a different yardstick to measure Vettel’s performances though.

11. Estesark (@estesark) said on 4th November 2012, 15:56

I think it would have been an 8/10 race, but because it’s so close to the end of the season, it felt more exciting than that. I always think it’s a shame when a runaway leader retires, but I’m delighted with Kimi’s win, and what happened on the podium will live long in the memory. So I’ll give it a 9. Just about the best race of the season; Canada had been my favourite up to now because of the battle for the lead there.

12. Yobo01 (@yobo01) said on 4th November 2012, 15:57

10. It was awesome, everything worked perfectly.
    Retirements, accidents, great overtakings, underdog (more or less) victory. The DRS worked pretty well, I’m surprised. Sensible choices by the stewards.
    And all this on one stop.
    Who would’ve thought!

13. Jorge Lardone (@jorgelardone) said on 4th November 2012, 15:58

10/10 Great race and a great victory for master Kimmi! Everybody happy with him! Vettel also shows why he is the best driver to be world champion this year!

14. Mads (@mads) said on 4th November 2012, 15:59

HOLY MOTHER! What is it with 2012? The two absolute worst tracks on the calender has produced some of the greatest races of the year? How is that possible?
    The DRS here does go to show that this track is fundamentally flawed. Even with very long DRS zones it was still barely possible to overtake, but at least it was that. Barely possible. Every DRS pass felt real, the drivers had to fight, they had to take the duel right into the corner and try to gain control over the position. So maybe the tracks with the worst overtaking spots is the track that work the best with DRS?
    Anyway, the DRS worked, plenty of action, drama, Kimi winning, but he had to put up a fight to get there, Vettel carving him self through the grid after starting 24th. Am I right in saying that this has equalled Emmo’s record of 24th to 3rd? And then of cause a great qualifying session with lots of surprises and a great pole lap by Hamilton.
    Some pretty nasty accidents though. Luckily all drivers were fine.
    Just plenty of action all around.
    I am sorry, I hate to vote Abu Dhabi so well, because as a race track it stinks, but this race just has to be a 10. It was just had everything really. And all that, despite a VERY conservative tyre choice.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 4th November 2012, 16:10

Am I right in saying that this has equalled Emmo’s record of 24th to 3rd?

Yes, Fittipaldi did the same thing at the 1980 USA West GP. Excluding Indy 500 results, this was the 7th biggest gain in position. The last time someone gained 21 places or more were Lauda and Watson at the 1983 USA West GP. The record is held by Roberto Mieres, who gained 26 places at the 1954 British GP to finish sixth.

15. AJ (@ascar2000us) said on 4th November 2012, 15:59

Well this will not shut the Vettel Haters, will it? just for the few who attribute the drive to safety car, here are the facts:
    After Safety Car 1: Vettel changed front Wing and was back to P21
    Before Safety Car 2: Vettel moves up to 4th even after pitting.
    If anything The Safety car only let him close up to Button.

Happy to burst your Bubble :)

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 4th November 2012, 19:45

A bit like Button in Canada 2010 really, with all sorts of things going wrong, then a streak of luck and pulling something out of the bag in the end.

I don’t think Vettel proved he was one of the bet of the current crop today. He’s already done so in the past few years.