Rate the race: 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Yas Marina, 2012What did you think of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (1%)
  • 6 (1%)
  • 7 (4%)
  • 8 (21%)
  • 9 (35%)
  • 10 (36%)

Total Voters: 787

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

321 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

1. andae23 (@andae23) said on 4th November 2012, 16:00

10/10 My grading is based on two things: the entire weekend was littered with excitement, which started right after Q3. And it simply never went away: every single lap of the race I was sitting at the edge of my seat, dying to know what was going to happen next! The second reason was the battle for the lead, that -in all fairness- should not have been there would Hamilton not have had that fuel/engine problem.

But looking at the real racing: there was none. At one moment, I genuinely thought I was watching the local fancy fair bumber car competition, or worse nascar. It began at the start: I think that was Di Resta’s error, because he was on the middle of the track with three cars to his right – give some space, would you? Rosberg’s shunt was frightening to watch. Webber was making a mess of it, and I think I’ll just keep my mouth shut about the Perez/Grosjean mess.

On the other side, Vettel was very, very determined to prove to all the Vettel critics (Hamilton for one) that he can race and is a worthy champion. And I think it’s fitting that with all the carnage around him, Raikkonen was the one that kept his head cool.

So, no real racing, but a lot of excitement. And though I’m a bit disappointed as a racing fan, I couldn’t resist giving this one a 10.

2. NJ Joe (@nj-joe) said on 4th November 2012, 16:03

10 for me and I rarely vote. 2 safety cars, super drive for Vettel, Kimi finally back on top of the podium, lots of wheel to wheel racing, contacts and crashes, change from day to night, etc. Quite pleasant change from a track that was expected to produce a boring race. Can’t wait until Austin!

3. baldgye (@baldgye) said on 4th November 2012, 16:05

gave it a 3, epicly busy race but horrendous for the championship… and so glad lewis is going to be away from the garbage team that mclaren has been all year

• cg22me (@cg22me) said on 4th November 2012, 16:51

You’re basing the 3 on the fact it’s bad for the Championship…

Except, it’s “Rate the Race”, not “Rate how good this Race is for the Championship.”

Any excuse to give it a poor rating, aye?

4. Ryan Williams (@ryanwilliams) said on 4th November 2012, 16:05

9/10. It had it all! Mega race!

5. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 4th November 2012, 16:05

Race = 10/10
    Result = 11/10

6. Vettel has never performed so many overtakes in one race! He has definitely proven that he can race with not being at the front. Driver of the race.

• he gained 3 places before he even left the pit exit, he then crashed, and ran into a marker during SC, then when the race got under way he passed far slower cars (in a redbull that had been altered pre-race for straightline speed), then was gifted both places and time from everyone getting tangled up in each others wheels.

Not sure what was great today, other than his move on Button, who was fair with his space.

• I Love the Pope said on 4th November 2012, 18:30

Face it, Vettel silenced his critics. He can drive and is deserving of his two (and soon to be three) world titles.

7. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 4th November 2012, 16:10

10/10 .. absolutly amazing race!

8. Pedro Costa (@pnunocosta) said on 4th November 2012, 16:11

A solid 8 to todays race, I was glued on TV all race long. So happy for Kimi, he trully deserves this one.
    Alonso also did a good race, he couldn´t have reached much more.
    I think that Vettel´s performance is being over rated, during the race we saw him only passing the slower cars with the exception of the move on Button, but with much fresher tyres. He got very lucky with all the crashes and safety cars being deployed. I would have given much more credit to his race if he had to pass the Saubers, Force India, Mercedes, etc.
    I was impressed with Perez race, he was having great pace but that reckless return to the track…

• Solf1 said on 4th November 2012, 16:22

I guess the vettel detractors will never be happy. When button, Hamilton or alonso come from the back of the field it’s a brilliant drive, but Vettel is lucky.

• smokinjoe (@smokinjoe) said on 4th November 2012, 16:36

2 avoidable incidents and two free pit stops to help him? His overtake on Button was superb, I’ll give him that and he did have to work for it but without timely safety cars and other drivers taking each other out he’d be nowhere near the podium. But you have to give credit to vettel from pit lane to podium finish thats one great drive …well as they say ” fortune favours the brave” it was balls to the wall kinda driving

• Alex (@smallvizier) said on 4th November 2012, 17:24

The second of those “avoidable incidents” was actually a case of good reactions from Vettel. So often, it a driver slows down unexpectedly then the one behind will plow right into them (e.g. Rosberg today, Schumacher a few races ago). However Vettel managed to avoid a collision. It’s unfortunate that there was a flag there by the side of the road, but hitting a flag is much better than taking two drivers out of the race.

The first was a little reckless, and I thought “what a fool” when I heard he’d lost a wing to a back-marker, but watching the replays it was a pretty tricky situation. With hindsight, perhaps he should have backed off and let the other two race, but I don’t think there are many drivers who would have made that decision in that particular circumstance.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 4th November 2012, 16:40

@pnunocosta

Maybe you should watch the race more closely next time. Vettel overtook Di Resta without DRS and Schumacher sometime later in the race. And I’m fairly certain he overtook a Sauber somewhere as well seeing as he passed about 2 dozen cars. Yes, most were DRS passes but with the track as it is, there’s really not much area for passing outside those zones.

Your comment is not surprising though. Most people will never find Vettel impressive. Even if he starts from the back, in reverse, with 3 wheels and a blindfold and still takes good points.

• Alex (@smallvizier) said on 4th November 2012, 17:28

Depending on which wheel was missing, starting in reverse might actually make things easier. So you’d still hear people saying he was lucky.

Today, he was lucky. He also had a really quick car – it’s hard to know just how good the qualifying laps were, but as Vettel’s was specifically set up for the race, it was quite possible in a better set-up then the McLaren.

And despite all that? It was still a really good drive. Vettel went like a rocket, just like he’s been doing for the last two years now. That’s why he scores so many points… for pure speed, he’s the best racer on the track.

9. I rated a 9. Would’ve been 10 if I wasn’t angry about Vettel’s annoyingly good luck.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 4th November 2012, 16:21

@rits

I agree. If only he hadn’t been disqualified from qualifying. He would have won the race in normal boring fashion.

• I Love the Pope said on 4th November 2012, 18:32

Vettel didn’t need luck. He needed skill, and that he has in spades. Best drive of the day from the best driver on the grid.

10. SammyF1 said on 4th November 2012, 16:12

10 on paper… But
    -0.5 for Hamilton retirement. ( HAM-RAI-ALO is a better podium in any order )
    -0.25 for championship disappointment , knowing Vettel is going to walk away with WDC for third time in a row
    -0.25 because race was two laps shorter ( Alonso – Raikonnen battle would have been nice)
    Therefore 9 .. Best race of the year, no doubt

11. smokinjoe (@smokinjoe) said on 4th November 2012, 16:16

what went wrong with mclaren when they stop making pit stop blunders ,now the car had reliability issues…they just cant get it right.They need to produce a very fast car for next year to have any chance otherwise no grip button and brother chico will be nursing the Tyre and getting accolades from the commentators for smooth driving style but wont be getting any podium

12. F1fanNL (@) said on 4th November 2012, 16:17

A race that does its name justice, a Grand Prix.

10/10

13. Ben73 (@ben73) said on 4th November 2012, 16:18

9, as a Hamilton fan, yet another squandered result. Mclaren obviously need a sponsor to replace tooned on their rear wing, maybe they should approach The RAC to see if they are interested. Great race though.

14. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 4th November 2012, 16:20

I gave it a 10. Very rarely has a race had so much going on all the time. While Vettel stormed through the field twice, Alonso, Maldonado, Button and Webber were dicing with each other. Then there was the crashes, fighting throughout the field, drama, controversy, and final amazing last laps with Button and Alonso, Vettel and Button, and finally Alonso and Raikkonen. Breathtaking!

15. MattB (@mattb) said on 4th November 2012, 16:21

From the Foreign & Commonwealth office on Abu Dhabi: “Swearing or making rude gestures is considered an obscene act and offenders can be prosecuted. Offenders have, in the past, received six-month jail sentences for such acts, and some have been deported.” So Seb & Kimi – 6 months in the Middle East for you then?